Which features will be added in the future to the GO Mobile for iPhone app? - Page 10 — TomTom Community

Which features will be added in the future to the GO Mobile for iPhone app?

Comments

• Scott ChapinScott Chapin Posts: 26 [Outstanding Explorer]
    It has been disappointing to say the least. I would be happy with route listing and via, but no go. It's been ages since a release which took away sound mixing and gave us winding roads. Neither were a benefit to me.
  • ThroySThroyS Posts: 50 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I agree also. No updates over xmas. No communication to the public about status of the app or upcoming fixes etc. Just can't believe this is the TomTom that we know few years ago. It's really sad
  • IGIIGI Posts: 141 [Outstanding Explorer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    From this FAQ:
    - Waypoints (add stops to your route)
    - Map error reporting
    I think those two are the most important now, as some of the proposed ideas are already accomplished.
  • IGIIGI Posts: 141 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Tim81 wrote:
    You can't tell me that this is because of iOS. I'm sure an experience developmentteam can easly implement the option on iOs if it is already out there.

If you like and trust TomTom maps maybe you should try Sygic? TomTom maps with better UI.
  • Willem MWillem M Posts: 22 [Apprentice Traveler]
    9 months after launch, so much still needs work:

1. Sort out the fact that the app is about 2 seconds behind where you are on the road - never missed a junction with the old app, now I do with the new app

2. Sort out route options with all the old functionality - alternative route, minimise delays, avoid roadblock... Google Maps and Apple Maps are way ahead with alternative routes

3. Have remaining time and distance on the screen at the same time. There's an empty black space - why....?

4. Introduce the old 'stop navigation' feature from the old app

5. Give options of different colours for the map

6. Give options of removing useless menu items that I never use and reordering so useful things are neaar the top.

I'm grateful for a 3 year free subscription, but unless most of these are sorted out, there's no way I'll pay for the app when the 3 years run out. It's nothing compared to the old one.

1: Even on my motorcycle doing over 200km/h the ap is not behind my position.

3: doesn't is switch automatically after a few seconds?
  • ReDrUmNZReDrUmNZ Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Please add the ability to add multiple waypoints to a route. Using Go on a recent costal road trip was terrible not being able to set multiple destinations. I had to switch back to the classic TomTom app.

Can you please also add a toll tolerance option. e.g. if a toll is $7 and only saves 10 minutes i might want to avoid that particular one but allow others.

At the moment TomTom simply offers the ability to avoid tolls or allow tolls. Often if you allow tolls it puts you on to a toll road for a matter of minutes due to it being the 'shortest distance' where you'd rather drive the extra couple of minutes than pay several dollars worth of unnecessary tolls.
  • bootingyourappbootingyourapp Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    When if ever will the Mydrive compatibility be available with your IOS app and/or the IOS GO app. It seems you have had adequate time to at least develop a schedule for the items mentioned in this post. Just want to know if I should hold on or move to another solution.
  • Carbon BasedCarbon Based Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    It is still my preferred navigation option, but it is frustrating in parts:

My Drive compatibility to use plotted routes will be great to see as the current app doesn't even offer "Travel via."

This app seems to be very good at dynamically changing to always take the fastest route but it would be good to be notified when this has happened, the old app had audio update on significant change in arrival time that was very welcome.

Showing alternative routes from the outset would be good. I often start long routes where traffic conditions are likely to change mid journey (M25/M1 approaching rush hour) so I might want to start on a marginally slower route if it might be more reliable.

The delay that currently means complex junctions are often described after you've driven though them is very annoying so that would be a priority.
  • babyboxbabybox Posts: 51 [Master Explorer]
    It is still my preferred navigation option, but it is frustrating in parts:

My Drive compatibility to use plotted routes will be great to see as the current app doesn't even offer "Travel via."

This app seems to be very good at dynamically changing to always take the fastest route but it would be good to be notified when this has happened, the old app had audio update on significant change in arrival time that was very welcome.

Showing alternative routes from the outset would be good. I often start long routes where traffic conditions are likely to change mid journey (M25/M1 approaching rush hour) so I might want to start on a marginally slower route if it might be more reliable.

The delay that currently means complex junctions are often described after you've driven though them is very annoying so that would be a priority.

Hear hear, absolutely

I miss both features which the old app had
    I miss the information list too. It is annoying not to be able to preview the selected route prior to heading out.
  • NickDeKruijk.nlNickDeKruijk.nl Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    I really love the way Google Maps and Waze show 3 different routes so you can select your preferred route. Not like the old alternative route the old ios apps had since that showed a pointless route avoiding all the roads the main route contains. That and waypoints should be on top of the priority list.
  • Dan GeogheganDan Geoghegan Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I think the question is 'when'? I have just switched from the excellent TomTom Europe for iPhone to what is clearly a substandard replacement at the present time.
  • CoenoxCoenox Posts: 14 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I think I am about done with this app and won't renew it. It was launched 10 months ago, but I can't get the rather standard features like waypoints. And I can't use it in combination with apps for POI's like archiescampings. What irritates me is that we don't get any information on when to expect new features.

I am experimenting with using my iPhone on my motorcycle. These features are of importance to me. Of course, I can use one of the two TomTom Riders v1 we have. Or my wife's Rider 40. I do like the fact that the app has the same look and feel as the Rider 40. I always have my iPhone with me and I want to use it on the bike. I also have an app for GPX routes. This developer will be offering in-app navigation within the next for weeks. I am very excited about this. I will be able to make routes online or use those made by others, and use the phone to navigate. This means my TomTom app will become obsolete, which is a pity. I really liked the interface.
  • Pies82Pies82 Posts: 21 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Completely agree Coenox - think I am also about done with this app. The app being awful and missing so many features from the start was odd enough, but the speed and choice of updates has been totally bizarre. I don't know TomTom well enough as a business but it seems that Sat Nav is not a key product for them any more? I know they have wearable tech which is a massive potential market because of the data gathered within it, and similarly with the sat nav they are getting all the traffic info, which (I think?) they then sell on to others like google and Sygic. It seems that they are edging towards becoming a big data company and are putting minimal resources towards updating this app, but that makes no sense as surely they need it for the traffic info?! And whoever is deciding on the updates needs sacking or given a good slap. Not having waypoints is utterly utterly bizarre. It's a sat nav?!! Totally confused by it all, and confusion turned to frustration about a year ago. I am now totally bored of the whole charade.
    I'm thoroughly disappointed. I bought into it because it doesn't require cellular data connectivity. The trade offs are too severe though.

A real annoying aspect for me besides the common mentions, is having remaining distance to waypoint rounded to a quarter mile when my odometer is calibrated in tenths. That's probably just a USA issue, but still. I can drive by my odometer easily when the distance is in tenths.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Show alternative routes is now available in the v1.7 of GO Mobile for iPhone :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • sternhammersternhammer Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I miss the "Avoid Roadblock" and "Avoid the next (X-number-of-yards)" options that the old IOS app had. These were really useful for getting around sudden snarl ups, unmarked roadworks or (most usefully) known awkward spots and busy junctions. I'd love for these to be back. Why these have disappeared is beyond me...
    Thank you!!! Now route list and I'll be happy.
  • jcwackyjcwacky Posts: 39 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    9 months after launch, so much still needs work:

1. Sort out the fact that the app is about 2 seconds behind where you are on the road - never missed a junction with the old app, now I do with the new app

2. Sort out route options with all the old functionality - alternative route, minimise delays, avoid roadblock... Google Maps and Apple Maps are way ahead with alternative routes

3. Have remaining time and distance on the screen at the same time. There's an empty black space - why....?

4. Introduce the old 'stop navigation' feature from the old app

5. Give options of different colours for the map

6. Give options of removing useless menu items that I never use and reordering so useful things are neaar the top.

I'm grateful for a 3 year free subscription, but unless most of these are sorted out, there's no way I'll pay for the app when the 3 years run out. It's nothing compared to the old one.

I'm eagerly awaiting all of these points too (apart from customising colours).

There are definitely several "low-hanging fruit" that could be easily dealt with quickly, e.g. main menu reordering and showing time and distance remaining at the same time.

In fact, I'm still surprised the alternating remaining distance/time option is still there, as it makes the information less glanceable and therefore dangerous. Is something like this mockup really so hard to do:

3a86d12e-1280-4afc-a4d6-91996bb4fd1d.png
  • PeterViccPeterVicc Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just adding my only request - again, please. Some are calling it Way points. I just want to stab the map so the route diverts via this new point.. Travel via " point I tap on map". It seems a lot of people are requesting this surely simple function.
    Yes, travel via would be nice. Alternate routes can be used to avoid road blocks. I like having a list of the route.

Being able to reorder favorites was nice too.
  • CoenoxCoenox Posts: 14 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I want it too. But it is on the priority list. Now with the addition of alternative routes, I am a bit more positive that we will really get way points as well. I only wished TomTom could give us an estimate about when.
  • sternhammersternhammer Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Nope, Alternate routes can't be used to avoid immediate road blocks - example: if the alternative route doesn't vary (from the original route) until beyond the point you want to block (occurs especially on longer journeys).
    Then you need to use your noodle. Avoid road blocks in those instances has frequently rerouted me back to the road block on a diversionary excursion.
    That's when you have to use your noodle. I have had avoid road block reroute me away from and right back to the roadblock too many times.