Android Marshmallow (again) SONY Xperia Z5 Compact not pairing with watch.

King Canute
King Canute Registered Users Posts: 71
Prominent Wayfarer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Just registering yet another Android Marshmallow pairing issue.

My wife received the Marshmallow update yesterday. Since then watch won't pair.

We have tried:

Factory reset watch
Uninstall/reinstall My sports app
Ensure My sports PC software up to date (before watch reset)
Turning on/off location services

For the record, and referring to the "help" instructions, the process goes ok but stops at step 10, i.e. the watch displays the PIN, the phone shows a pairing notification (I touch "pair") but phone fails to come up with a screen to input the PIN, instead it just cycles back to the "tap to connect" screen.

My wife is a personal trainer, mobile connection is an important feature, (e.g. clients use her strava feeds of their runs and don't want to wait until she finds a PC) and was a selling feature of the watch. There are enough posts on this forum regarding marshmallow on lots of different phones, tomtom claims watch is compatible with Android 4.3 OR ABOVE so the blame must lie with them.

This needs fixing soon or we will seek a refund and buy a Garmin.

Other than "phone customer services" which we will obviously (though reluctantly, had a few bad experiences in this area already) do any advice?

Comments

• Tony Chemit
    Tony Chemit Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Got the same Problem, @King did you get some breaking new about how to resolv this problem ? thanks. tony
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,936
    Superuser
    Just registering yet another Android Marshmallow pairing issue.

My wife received the Marshmallow update yesterday. Since then watch won't pair.

We have tried:

Factory reset watch
    Uninstall/reinstall My sports app
    Ensure My sports PC software up to date (before watch reset)
    Turning on/off location services

For the record, and referring to the "help" instructions, the process goes ok but stops at step 10, i.e. the watch displays the PIN, the phone shows a pairing notification (I touch "pair") but phone fails to come up with a screen to input the PIN, instead it just cycles back to the "tap to connect" screen.

My wife is a personal trainer, mobile connection is an important feature, (e.g. clients use her strava feeds of their runs and don't want to wait until she finds a PC) and was a selling feature of the watch. There are enough posts on this forum regarding marshmallow on lots of different phones, tomtom claims watch is compatible with Android 4.3 OR ABOVE so the blame must lie with them.

This needs fixing soon or we will seek a refund and buy a Garmin.

Other than "phone customer services" which we will obviously (though reluctantly, had a few bad experiences in this area already) do any advice?

Keep an eye out for an icon in the notification area at the top, some phone models require you to allow the app access in a separate window that does not pop to the front automatically. On my Samsung tablet it was not giving me the passcode entry but I noticed a tiny icon of a watch at the top of the screen (and you may need to drag down if the notification area is hidden by default). When I opened the notification there was an entry on the list for TomTom Sports watch. Clicking that and confirming the watch then allowed the passcode entry screen to come up. It was being blocked by the tablet OS. It paired just fine after that.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • King Canute
    Prominent Wayfarer
    The watch icon pops up, it just comes up with a "TomTom MySports" message in the notification drawer. If I press hold it I can see three options to do with app permissions (yes, I have experimented). A bluetooth icon pops up at the same time, this is the pairing request that doesn't get responded to.

Customer services have "escalated the case to the development team" they've avoided my questions about refunds. Not working in the consumer electronics industry myself, I've no idea if the level of reliability and customer services I've experienced is "normal" it could be worse I suppose, in the old days if something stopped working that was it, but then again, in the old days you could go back to the shop and try and get a refund. Are Garmin owners having problems pairing with Marshmallow devices?
  • am9
    am9 Registered Users Posts: 6
    Master Explorer
    Same phone, same issue. Have went through all instructions and reinstalled app.
    Problem is with the app.
    No keypad comes up after authorising pairing.
    Have phoned customer support.
    Awaiting call back.
  • King Canute
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Apparently it will be fixed with a firmware update (TomTom got back to us today).

They have given no date for the update, given that the free strap for my spark took until last week to arrive when I ordered the watch in September, there is no way of telling if it will ever arrive.

Think we will be trying to get our money back. Such a shame, talk a lot to other runners about watches and always praise the TomTom, but if it is not working like it should then it is worthless.
  • MSH
    MSH Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I have a Z5 Compact and since the update to 6.0 the watch fails to pair due to the Tom Tom app failing to launch a pin pad during the pairing process. Come on Tom Tom this has been going on for months! please fix it!

Watch: Multisport Cardio HRM 1.8.46
    Phone: Z5 Compact OS: 6.0
  • King Canute
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Still no fix.
  • SweJohan
    SweJohan Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    I have the same problem.

Phone: Sony xperia z5 compact
  • amarofilho
    amarofilho Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Same problem wiht Sony Xperia Z5
  • MSH
    MSH Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Still not sorted! come on tomtom!
  • ffsacceptauniqueusername
    ffsacceptauniqueusername Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Me too and I did try all the reformatting watch nonsense, delete app data etc.
  • Danimatos
    Danimatos Registered Users Posts: 59
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Same here, Moto X 2014, Android 6.0
  • King Canute
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Still no fix.
  • J44LTO
    J44LTO Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Same issues at 6.0 update
  • Danimatos
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Still no fix.
    IMO, there will be no fix.
    Or you buy a new watch or a new phone.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Danimatos wrote:
    Still no fix.
    IMO, there will be no fix.
    Or you buy a new watch or a new phone.

Actually the fix is rolling out this week as part of the new software update. According to their reports this fix makes the original Runner and MultiSports compatible with Android 6.0. Those who have already received the update claim it works fine now.
  • Danimatos
    Prominent Wayfarer
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Actually the fix is rolling out this week as part of the new software update. According to their reports this fix makes the original Runner and MultiSports compatible with Android 6.0. Those who have already received the update claim it works fine now.
    WAT!!!??!!
    Well, it's been only a few months with this issue.
    It's an update on the watch firmware or My Run app?
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Danimatos wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    WAT!!!??!!
    Well, it's been only a few months with this issue.
    It's an update on the watch firmware or My Run app?

It is a firmware update and is the first post at the top of this forum:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/runner-multi-sport-184/new-version-1852-runner-and-multisports-available-1001922

It is a phased rollout, so it will take a few days to reach everyone. You will get it eventually and will be alerted when you plug the watch in to your PC (you can't force it or hurry it along).
  • Damian_Danylko
    Damian_Danylko Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    Hi All,

I have similar problem to you I have Xperia Z5 DualSim with Android 6.0. and I realized that after updated to new version of SW 1.3.27 (TomTom Music Cardio) I can not pair my phone with watch at all. The keypad tab has never appeared when I open my sport application and try to search for the watch.

To be honest I spent more than 300$ for watch that I think will be worked fine, and I am disappointed that such trivial operation as paring is not working fine.

I am looking for professional support in this subject because other wise I will give back device to the store.

Maybe somebody from you other users has some idea how to solve this issue I tried connect/disconect to USB, factory reset, remove and reinstall my sport app. But for me this is a workaround rather real solution and can occasionally works....
  • Danimatos
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Hi All,
    To be honest I spent more than 300$ for watch that I think will be worked fine, and I am disappointed that such trivial operation as paring is not working fine.

I am looking for professional support in this subject because other wise I will give back device to the store.
    If I could, I would return my watch to Amazon.
    It took 6 months to release a fix and sometime later they pull this fix because it didn't fix anything.
  • binglemybongle
    binglemybongle Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi,

I got a Runner 2 (Cardio/Music) this morning and was also having issue's syncing with a Sony Xperia Z5 compact with Android 6.
    However, have now successfully synced with my phone and upload data to Endomondo.

There doesn't seem to be a clear fix anywhere on here or any clear sign that sync can be achieved.

When you try and sync via BT or through the app:
    1. (App) you can't see the watch
    2. (BT) you can see it, connect to it, watch gives you a code then promptly returns to a menu screen, while the phone asks to you connect it as a trusted devices but can't by the time you navigate to the accept screen

Was driving me mental til I saw some reference from an independent developer saying that Android added some security into the location settings.

I activated location on the phone (wifi and gps), then tried syncing through the app again.
    Appeared straight away and synced with no issues at all.

Please spread the work to other Xperia Z5 / Android 6 users.
  • Simon2002
    Simon2002 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    I also had the same issue Xperia X3 compact - I couldn't get the Runner 2 to sync with my pc and couldn't get it to sync with my phone. My laptop is running windows 8.1. I plugged it into my wife's windows 10 computer - found it fine. Plugged it back into my pc - suddenly worked and also blue tooth syncing started to work. I have no idea why it should have made a difference but everything has worked perfectly after it was plugged into a Windows 10 laptop. I realise this is slightly grasping at straws but it worked for me.
  • Plungeman
    Plungeman Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Just picked up a Z5 Compact (having had the Multisport for ages) and couldn't connect - turned everything (wifi, bluetooth, gps, NFC, mobile data) on and it connected in moments.

All electronics = unreliable magic in a box
  • boomhaueruk
    boomhaueruk Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    September 2017, sitting here with a Spark Cardio and an Xperia Z5 compact. I've tried adding location, switching on all the settings, resetting. Been at it an hour or two, no joy at all. No matter what I do the phone just won't show the keypad for entering the code.
    Softwares on watch is new, phones been updated, app is updated on phone.
    App is 8.03, watch is on 1.6.26. which seem to be the latest.

Just won't work.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Did you have the phone forget the watch in its BT menu before you tried pairing again?