Bandit- External Mic for motorcycle helmet use

1235»

Comments

• NunquamNunquam Posts: 49 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Another short tube clip
  • LangworthLangworth Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    That audio is pretty good. Especially the last clip . What mic did you use for that?
    Longworth.
    I used a JK mic, I can't remember the exact specification, but it is a fairly basic microphone. I did have a cover but i lost it somewhere in Spain. I think that noise cancelling earphones (Bose quiet comfort} are quiet good at removing sound noise from my ears, but obviously no connection or help in recording. The Bose cancelling ear phones are not a perfect fit with my helmet, but probably better that ear plugs.
    But the mic and ear phones do involve a lot of wires and quite a lot of kit. Blue tooth may be the way to go. I tend to wear protective kit when out here and riding motorcycle in Portugal. But it does get very hot when stationary, a bit like being in a sauna! The average motorcyclist seems to drive with shorts, T- shirt [or bikini top for the girls] and shoes or flip flops and travels faster than me. Gloves not generally worn here . I am back in UK next week. I will be back in Portugal in September, may be a few more clips then.
    I think I have more details of the mic used back at home in the uk.If you want ask me next week. There are probably better mics to use, It would be good if Chris or someone from tom tom from could see if there are any particular recommended mics that they prefer.
  • CPGCPG Posts: 48 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    My best Audio so far, this is using the MyMyk SportsMyk, I think helmets are inherently noisy environment and positioning the mic is a critical part of getting good audio:
    The 2016 Calne Bike Meet:
    Thanks for the video.
  • JP_RAVENJP_RAVEN Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi everyone, sorry to butt-in so late in this topic - I only bought my Bandit yesterday!

I would also like to use an external mic but also like to keep the camera powered while on the bike (I have a USB hub inside my Givi tank bag, powered from the bike battery, to keep all my tech stuff on charge). As we know, TomTom don't make a dual power/mic cable, but I was wondering whether it would be possible for me to make one up by combining one of each, simply soldering the connections in parallel and insulating with heat-shrink tubing...

Does anyone know of any good reason why this would not work? Would the power from the USB supply interfere with the signal from the mic for example?

As TomTom still don't give details of supported mics, can I assume that the MyMyk SportsMyk is still the best choice?

Thank you all in advance,

JP
    JP_RAVEN wrote:
    Hi everyone, sorry to butt-in so late in this topic - I only bought my Bandit yesterday!

I would also like to use an external mic but also like to keep the camera powered while on the bike (I have a USB hub inside my Givi tank bag, powered from the bike battery, to keep all my tech stuff on charge). As we know, TomTom don't make a dual power/mic cable, but I was wondering whether it would be possible for me to make one up by combining one of each, simply soldering the connections in parallel and insulating with heat-shrink tubing...

Does anyone know of any good reason why this would not work? Would the power from the USB supply interfere with the signal from the mic for example?

As TomTom still don't give details of supported mics, can I assume that the MyMyk SportsMyk is still the best choice?

Thank you all in advance,

JP

From my experience the Mymyk Sports mic would not be my first choice simply based on cost, there £70 odd in the Uk, the speedlink mic (featured in some of my audio tests, see Bikervation on youtube) was almost as good and only cost about £10. I think the helmet you use and the position of mic is a more important factor in good audio now that TomTom have updated the firmware.
    I have ordered a Bluetooth transmitter so I can try the Interphone F3 MC intercom with the Bandit. I'll post results in a separate thread when I'm done. I am still aiming for better audio :)
    Thanks for your prompt response. Is this the mic you meant?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedlink-SL-8691-SBK-01-Spes-Clip-Microphone/dp/B004YEWC22

Which Bluetooth transmitter have your ordered? I also have an Interphone F5 intercom, so that solution would be even better for me!
    JP_RAVEN wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedlink-SL-8691-SBK-01-Spes-Clip-Microphone/dp/B004YEWC22

Which Bluetooth transmitter have your ordered? I also have an Interphone F5 intercom, so that solution would be even better for me!

Yes that's the mic and this is the Bluetooth:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161890732683?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I don't know if it will work but shall give it a go, I've also got some Firmware to try out, if you subscribe to Bikervation:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bikervation

you'll get updates as I post.
    CPG wrote:
    JP_RAVEN wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161890732683?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I don't know if it will work but shall give it a go, I've also got some Firmware to try out, if you subscribe to Bikervation:

Thanks, that device is incredibly cheap! I fitted a similar (though much more expensive) device in my car a couple of years ago to allow me to use my iPhone for hands-free phone calls and music through the car stereo.

I've subscribed to your Bikervation channel on Youtube.

One thing I'm still interested in doing with the Bandit is to connect power and microphone simultaneously. Do you reckon it's as simple as making up a "Y" adapter cable by using one of each of the two types of cable and simply connecting the 4 wires that go into the camera end in parallel? Do you know (or have you heard) of any reason why that wouldn't work?

Thanks
    JP_RAVEN wrote:
    CPG wrote:
    JP_RAVEN wrote:

Thanks, that device is incredibly cheap! I fitted a similar (though much more expensive) device in my car a couple of years ago to allow me to use my iPhone for hands-free phone calls and music through the car stereo.

One thing I'm still interested in doing with the Bandit is to connect power and microphone simultaneously. Do you reckon it's as simple as making up a "Y" adapter cable by using one of each of the two types of cable and simply connecting the 4 wires that go into the camera end in parallel? Do you know (or have you heard) of any reason why that wouldn't work?

Thanks

That's one for TomTom I'm afraid as far as I'm aware these are the connections:
    b02104d6-b8ca-404d-9a82-c881af832f4b.jpg
    Pin 1: + VE
    Pin 2: Jack outer -ve on external mic
    pin 3: Jack centre + 2.45 v on external mic
    pin 4: -ve
    BUT you would have to check this with TomTom
    CPG wrote:
    JP_RAVEN wrote:
    CPG wrote:
    JP_RAVEN wrote:

Thanks

That's one for TomTom I'm afraid as far as I'm aware these are the connections:
    b02104d6-b8ca-404d-9a82-c881af832f4b.jpg
    Pin 1: + VE
    Pin 2: Jack outer -ve on external mic
    pin 3: Jack centre + 2.45 v on external mic
    pin 4: -ve
    BUT you would have to check this with TomTom

Oh, of course, I forgot that the connector on the back of the camera is not actually a USB interface. It's just two contacts for power and two for a mic. To transfer videos to the computer, you have to pull out the batt-stick...

So in theory there should be no problem creating a dual "mic + power" cable. I might make that a project one of these days. Keep you all posted! :D
  • ReprobateReprobate Posts: 30 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Tomtom, are you or are you not going to create a short corded microphone, like 18" to 24" (36cm to 50cm) or bluetooth so it can mount in a helmet, for skiing, motorcycling, skydiving, etc.... so we can vlog? This is a important option on your competitors devices and my only major complaint with the camera. Lacking this device as a future option will force me to go to Go Pro. Please respond.
  • PhiltbirdPhiltbird Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I see we have the usual response! After all the problems with the mic quality we still have nothing really usable out of the box.
    Recommended mic's
    Mic connection and power
    Bluetooth connectivity
    After 3 months I am still scratching around with no support from TomTom. To start with you have to trawl several threads before you understand everyone is having problems, the it is left to individuals to try and see what works. No support for buying a mic from TomTom or a dual power mic cable. Software updates are a sign that TomTom has not given up development, but in the end this camera is not fit for purpose, and we should be offered refunds.
    After many years of purchasing TomTom products I am seriously going to be changing to the opposition.
  • pjsmithpjsmith Posts: 38 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi,

Firstly, let me agree. This'll probably get modded, but I think TomTom have been severely lacking in supporting this camera. They produced a really good device with a ton of potential, but it seems they simply lost interest. I guess none of them are action enthusiasts who might actually use the camera, else they'd have come across the issues and helped us resolve them.

That being said. After many trial and tests and at my own rather considerable expense, I did come up with something that works well, even on my motorcycle at 50mph.

Here are a couple video examples

It seems simple, but it took a LOT of trial and experimentation, buying and testing different MIC's etc to get this working.

here's what I used

microphone (with a foam cover)
    http://amzn.to/1q8SPr4

This furry thing
    http://amzn.to/2uOiDvK

And, I cut and shortened the lead, though that obviously makes no difference to the audio.

The MIC is mounted to the left of my mouth, by my cheek, with the mic input facing up and towards me (it'll make sense when you see the mic). I only have to talk in a very gentle voice and it's quite clear. The gain could still do with some better control in camera, but I'm OK with the results, though I would not class myself as a happy tomtom camera user. This was _a lot_ of hassle I simply should not have gone through.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 712 Superuser
    The only way to avoid wind noise is to keep the microphone away from the wind. Nothing else can solve that problem. Dead cat, sponges, etc may help but only on normal wind...

A possible protected location can be inside your jacket, in the back protection pocket, or some protected locations in your motorcycle, like NC700 frunk, etc... It can be tricky to locate the right spot to install a mic...
    Hi, I've also done a lot of testing and put quit some effort into getting reasonable audio, have a paddle through some of my videos, one playlist is dedicated to the Bandit audio problems.
    My audio tests are in the "Video and Sound Test Clips" playlist.
    In the end I finished up using a MyMyk SportsMyk, expensive for what it is, my helmet is noisy which doesn't help:

I am VERY UN-IMPRESSED with TomTom, it feels like they were all sitting around and thought it would be a good laugh to get into the action camera market, then when they found it a little bit more involved than originally thought they dropped it and left the customers high and dry. I've got three Sat Navs, all TomTom but with my experience on customer care, I think the Bandit will be my last dealing with what I had though of as a good company.
  • PhiltbirdPhiltbird Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    pjsmith wrote:
    Hi,

Firstly, let me agree. This'll probably get modded, but I think TomTom have been severely lacking in supporting this camera. They produced a really good device with a ton of potential, but it seems they simply lost interest. I guess none of them are action enthusiasts who might actually use the camera, else they'd have come across the issues and helped us resolve them.

That being said. After many trial and tests and at my own rather considerable expense, I did come up with something that works well, even on my motorcycle at 50mph.

Here are a couple video examples

It seems simple, but it took a LOT of trial and experimentation, buying and testing different MIC's etc to get this working.

here's what I used

microphone (with a foam cover)
    http://amzn.to/1q8SPr4

This furry thing
    http://amzn.to/2uOiDvK

And, I cut and shortened the lead, though that obviously makes no difference to the audio.

The MIC is mounted to the left of my mouth, by my cheek, with the mic input facing up and towards me (it'll make sense when you see the mic). I only have to talk in a very gentle voice and it's quite clear. The gain could still do with some better control in camera, but I'm OK with the results, though I would not class myself as a happy tomtom camera user. This was _a lot_ of hassle I simply should not have gone through.
    Well thanks for that, I will be giving it a try. Now why has TomTom not been responsive to your research? They ought to have at least given some remuneration for all your research into what is an easy subject when conducted in a lab environment, but not for an individual, first buying, then adapting, then testing a product, then having to start all over again.
    TomTom's offering of "Easily connect an external audio source." is a joke as is the support note (if you can find it) "Using the optional microphone cable you can connect an external microphone to your TomTom Bandit Action Camera. The camera supports condenser microphones 100-10000 Ohm and line level auxiliary inputs with a 3.5mm jack."
    Nothing about "it might work" if not just keep buying until you find one that does!
    Does anybody from TomTom even read these threads? I find it incredible that a company such as this can't deploy a person to monitor these threads and follow them up, in the interest of continual product improvement. Not even a polite message to say "we're looking into it".

Another un-related issue I have with using the Bandit on my motorbike is that, I find it almost impossible to operate the Stop button on the camera remote control through gloves. I have the remote attached to the center of my handlebars with the velcro strap. It's very easy to press the big red Record button, but try pressing the black Stop button on the side through motorcycle gloves. It usually takes me several attempts during which I have to take my eyes off the road.... As someone said earlier in this thread, I doubt anyone from TomTom actually uses the camera as an action cam - certainly not any bikers at TomTom...
    I love everything about this camera but the mic issue. Unfortunately due to this mic issue I've relegated the camera to my rear facing camera and all it does is watch my **** now, nothing else. No sound, no vlogging.

Until TomTom extracts their collective head from wherever it's at and decides to resolve this issue using some of the amazing work that people have put in here on this site and on this equipment at great cost and time to themselves I think that's just where my camera is going to stay. I will continue to badmouth the product until they fix it. This makes me sad.

As a show of good faith, I think Tom Tom should weed through these threads and find some of the biggest contributors to this project and reward them in some way. Publicly thank them for their efforts and their contributions. Not just , "Hey great job' but rather a 'Here, here's our newest product free of charge, thank you for all the work you've done for us since we wouldn't do it ourselves". I think that would be the responsible thing to do... Just saying.

Finally, since I'm on a rant... I would like to see a looping function where the camera would just record in a loop over its own data chip. Maybe three or four different size loops say 16GB 32GB 64GB 128gb or 10min, 30min, 1hr, 4hr... this would be incredibly useful in my day-to-day commuting. I wouldn't have to worry about constantly wiping the chip and I would always have the last block of X time stored.

TomTom, please, please, please fix this!
    I bought and tried this unit here...

EDUTIGE Dual Microphone ETM-001

From Amazon. It works at about a 7 out of 10 by my standards. I am still.in disbelief that TomTom has failed to weigh in on any of the comments here. So sad.