Bandit- External Mic for motorcycle helmet use

Comments

• NunquamNunquam Posts: 49 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Sorry , yes the settings are for external mic.
  • Frenzy382Frenzy382 Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    aargh.....
    both good and bad.
    Good they are working on audio issues, but bad that they seem to be ignoring internal mic though.
    Is there not a requirement for people to use both external power and external mic's?

I wonder whether TT are even looking at internal mic issues....they never seem to comment, so it's difficult to know what they are working on.

thanks for your help.
  • GlenavyManGlenavyMan Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    Now that's a good point. The power lead should have a mic jack socket on it.
  • ReviewerReviewer Posts: 44 [Outstanding Explorer]
    pjsmith wrote:
    Hi,

Has anyone had any success with an external MIC on a motorcycle?

I have used the same dynamic microphone capsules for installation in MC helmets for very many years. If the helmet is quiet enough people calling me over the phone or listening to my radio transmissions usually can not hear that I am driving on a bike.

Just on a hunch I connected one of my helmets with the Bandits external microphone connector. And, apart from the heavy distortion I have heard when trying electret mics, the sound is clear. But I have only been able to try it indoors, will be a couple of days before I can use one of my bikes.

So, if you are experimenting with different microphones and have small dynamic mics, please try them!

The microphone capsules that I am using was originally intended for loudspeaking telephones, manufactured in the seventies. Don´t know more about them apart from that they work very well in MC helmets.
    c8a90f02-712f-45e7-8d9f-59b7be7537bb.jpg
  • GlenavyManGlenavyMan Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    Looking forward to the 'on bike' tests Neophyte. You might encounter the same wind noise problem but fingers crossed
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    I ordered the cable today. I have a spare mic from a Scala unit that I am considering butchering to add the correct connector to, so maybe that may work
  • dannywozdannywoz Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I think I have commented on another thread elsewhere but I have the bandit premium package which is £400! I'm just so frustrated that we as the customer have to spend another maybe £80 to sort out the audio issues that shouldn't even be a discussion! I used my bandit yesterday at legoland with the kids and the sound quality was pathetic, it was on a go pro pole and was picking up every noise from the pole and distorting every second!
  • ReviewerReviewer Posts: 44 [Outstanding Explorer]
    GlenavyMan wrote:
    Looking forward to the 'on bike' tests Neophyte. You might encounter the same wind noise problem but fingers crossed

Here is the test with the dynamic mic

Did upset some Tomtom reps for some reason :-)!
    They claim they will have a firmware update that is a fix for the sound problem, it will be ready soon, any time now, it is definitely coming.........
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Just to be clear, the next update will bring improvements to the audio for external mics (and the built in internal mic), we don't guarantee that it will fix all the issues that have been reported, so we are very keen to see the feedback after it has been released.

If you check some of the comments in this thread you will see that we had begun testing Software Updates with various improvements for the audio already, and it's thanks to the people in these threads that we have got to the point where we can release a Software Update with improvements to everyone.

The initial update will contain the Auto mode, which will be the default setting. We will continue to monitor the feedback and if needed will look into individual gain control settings for a future Software Update.
  • fearoffishfearoffish Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I asked you in a private message if I could try it out but got no reply. When are you intending on releasing it? I have a trip around Europe that begins on June 10th I'd like to have it installed by.
  • CPGCPG Posts: 48 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I have finally managed to get a test video done with the experimental software, problems with the remote control not working and the ongoing saga of the app not working with my Motorola phone have hampered me.

I think the auto setting and 20db setting are fairly good, at the very least a starting point and a lot better than the current software. I think the type of mic used and were it is placed within the helmet have a huge impact on overall quality.
    As the volume of external noise increases with engine and wind noise the faster one goes, the more impact it has on the voice, I think the auto setting clips/cuts off this increase in noise and it doesn’t seem to impact on the voice too much, I guess because it is that much higher.
    I am getting a MyMic SportsMic later on in the Month and will do a test with that on auto and 20db, I will also play around with microphone positioning within the helmet.
    At least TomTom are now working on a solution, bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted I think.
    I’m very disappointed and the magic of this camera evaporated a while ago, now I’m just plodding towards a solution feeling a bit let down and fed up.
    To date I still have not had a reply to my original question!! What’s the spec for a microphone and what are the input parameters?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
  • JaaksJaaks Posts: 18 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    SO is this the external mic thread?
    If so what microphones have been tested and used nby us forum members and then which work well?
    I am unfortunately in a slightly remote part of the world and access to various mics is a problem, as well as the cost of things lately as our currency is not worth much overseas..... :-) :D
    Short u tube clip. I am now in Portugal. I will mainly be using a car here , but If I do some rides I will do a bit more audio. [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hm2NVoK-f8&feature=youtu.be[/video]
  • aokmanaokman Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Has anyone had any success with this, my MIC is still clipping like crazy when I close my helmet. The only way I have been able to help the situation is to put a 1.5k resistor inline with the mic to attenuate it a bit. My Gopro never had these issues and I'm quite disappointed with it.
  • YouCannotLookYouCannotLook Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Why does the Bandit cut my videos into sections? I can't use them and patch them together without there being a pause, delay, or random fast forward happening. If I ride for 1 hour, I expect there to be a 1 hour video, not a random folder with 6 videos of various lengths. Trying to splice them back together is choppy and doesn't work! :(
  • YouCannotLookYouCannotLook Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The Mic is absolutely worthless on this camera. No way to record any sound.
  • pjsmithpjsmith Posts: 38 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Time to re-visit this thread! I've been away for a bit, touring with the bike. Still not finished, but back home for a bit. I see a recent update with an attempt to fix the MIC issues, so, after a little work on the bike, time to check it out...

Here's the video from my latest test run. This is with the latest publicly available firmware. It was done with the same Olympus MIC as before, so comparisons can be made. Sorry, no editing, so a long video. I was speaking fairly quietly, intentionally. Normal levels. I can't get to higher speeds here to test this properly. My impression, it seems better. Still wind noise, mainly buffeting, but no clipping and the voice does appear clearer and more prominent than the wind noise, particularly with the visor down. I'd say the white balance has improved also, though didn't see anything related to that in the release notes for the update. Still a bit dark heading into the sun though. This is partly the same journey I took prior and although the lighting is different, those hedges would have been black before. The wind buffeting as I say is still there, but it seems duller if that makes sense. I think it's a good step in the right direction, but for feedback, pro vloggers would still not be at all happy with this audio yet. I'm not getting clipping now which was one of the most significant issues. Will experiment with MIC's/Wind covers/Screen again and see what further improvements might be possible. The wind noise cancellation (or lack thereof) still does not come close to my £30 intercom, but that may be a function of hardware and software. The MIC's for both are next to each other in the helmet. The intercom audio has no wind noise at all. I have found that I can purchase the same mic as my intercom uses for around the same as I paid for the Olympus. They do this so you can easily switch the intercom from helmet to helmet. The foam cover on these is really good. I'll use the foam cover on the Olympus first and if that does not work, It'll take a little hacking as the lead is USB and comes with speakers too, but I will try to connect the intercom mic to the bandit now I know it supplies power.

[video]

Catching up on the thread and don't wish to change the topic, but I see someone mentioned about having a power connector on the audio lead. I too wrote to TomTom about this very thing and even called them about it. After all my rides with it, I can confirm you NEED the power for long trips, but you need the audio lead too. Can't use both with this camera unless they make a new lead. If I could get the connector I would make one myself, but it's a fully moulded thing and I think bespoke to TomTom. The audio lead they provide is way too long as everyone else points out (and - cough - a tad expensive IMO). (TomTom, can I get a connector?) I think for vlogging, a lead with an audio socket and female USB about 20cm long is all you need.

I've yet to test the mobile app again - hopefully this will be better too now.

I'll update once I have tested the new MIC setup.
    As an update to my last, I tried today again with the Olympus MIC and the large foam wind filter from the intercom over it, but on review, it seems to have made little if any difference at all to the wind rumble. It did however reduce the quality/level of the voice. Voice is intelligible, which is better than before the firmware update, but still the sound of constant thunder (wind buffeting) in the background, quite loud. The last test is the best quality sound I've managed so far. I will try a boom MIC from the intercom next, if I can hack it to work. I think TomTom still have a little work to do to get this plug and play with off-the-shelf MIC's for us bikers.
    PJS Thanks
    I am not doing much in Portugal but it is nice and hot ! Using car when my wife and friends go out.
    I think the audio is improving . I will probably doing another ride in Portugal next week to friends in the Alentejo and I will try to do short U tube clip if the audio is any better. Shame I lost the mic cover somewhere in Spain.
    Ha, yes, mine fell off too, more than once. On my last one! I have a tendency to grab the helmet in the chin and knock them off. Cable tied the last one on. The audio IS improved, I'm sure. We are not quite there I think, particularly at highway speeds, but hopefully we will get there. I've ordered the MIC for the Intercom and if I can connect it to the bandit, I will give that a go and report back here.
  • LangworthLangworth Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've been following this thread with interest.

Can someone pls confirm the firmware revision I need to get the audio improvements?
    Is the Olympus ME12 Noise Cancellation Microphone the recommended mic these days?
    Longworth
    tom tom have updated the software for every body and if you have the up date soft ware then you already have it. I don't think we [tom tom bandit users], know what is the best mic yet. I am hoping that tom tom are testing microphones and will let us [tom tom bandit users] know a recommended external microphone..
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Langworth,

Welcome to the forum!
    Langworth wrote:
    Can someone pls confirm the firmware revision I need to get the audio improvements?
    That'd be the v1.57.500. You can find the release notes here.
    Langworth wrote:
    Is the Olympus ME12 Noise Cancellation Microphone the recommended mic these days?
    Please, see

Which microphones can I use with my Bandit Action Camera?

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:

With all due respect Mikko, this is next to useless for most of us, particularly in this thread. I've tried several MIC's that match these specs and provided no useful audio. It also does not include info about the power the unit can apparently supply, opening up use of different MIC's.

It would be much, much better if TomTom could list in addition to the specifications, which mics they actually have used successfully in action type conditions to achieve reasonable audio. For me, personally, I spent quite a bit of money and far more time testing MIC's that matched the specs but were useless for my application. Users here are trying to support your product by posting useful info about hardware they had success with, but really, TomTom are the ones with the resources and knowledge to do this. This has been asked for, for months. I do not know why TomTom does not step up and provide info on working solutions so that we can all go out and buy more bandits!? Can a product dev simply go out for a week and test the product with MIC they suspect will work and give us some options?

Best regards,

Paul.