Bandit- External Mic for motorcycle helmet use - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Bandit- External Mic for motorcycle helmet use

Comments

• BikerRobBikerRob Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    PjSmith, Wowwwww what a review of your day. I salute you for this superb post!! You are a private person and all the testing you did and your evaluation and recommendations is something TomTom should have done long time ago. Like you mentioned, the biker/vlogger market is huge but many companies fail to see this. The Bandit is not a cheap camera and during it's launch, a year ago, till now not much has improved and competitors are making cheaper actioncams with image stabilisation, a build-in screen and many more features the Bandit lacks. Like you, I had several problems with the app failing on me. I have bought 4 sd-cards till I finally found one that works without problems. I made one motorcycle-trip with the camera attached to my helmet but it was rattling and I was afraid I might loose the camera during another trip. Just the fact of the Bandit's versatile mounting options and sleek design made me buy it, but till now I have used the Bandit on my motorcycle just twice. Many of your recommendations were made in the past but no news about this from TomTom. If TomTom is smart they follow your recommendations and make sure your 5K-trip will be their best advert ever (should sponsor your trip as well). I hope so but I am afraid you will need to find another actioncam for your trip.
  • NunquamNunquam Posts: 49 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    PJ Smith
    Thanks I also had a fairly frustrating day . The video is fine but the audio very poor; I may resort to buying a Git 2 or even a go pro . I also managed to drop the bike when turning at walking pace and cracked front brake leaver, so another job that needs doing . I could not see your u tube clip as it is marked private. I don't know how to upload movies to tube ! and the audio that i record is just annoying . I presume that most of the motorcycle u tube clips are done with go pros. I am abroad for a couple of weeks , but have wifi access.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    pjsmith I checked back and all my random video stops have only happened since 1.52.427. The first time it happened, I was doing a training video and we had stopped, I removed my helmet and put it onto the mirror as I always do, the camera could not have touched anything. And then after 3 minutes it suddenly stopped, even though the camera will fully charged and I had only recorded 30 minutes. I know it has happened a few times, and I put it down to me removing my SD Card from the Mac and not reformatting it. But last week, I used the camera and it stopped about 5 minutes before I would have stopped it, again I could see my reason, as I had formatted the SD Card in the camera itself
  • pjsmithpjsmith Posts: 38 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Sorry - Forgot to toggle that switch. Now Public, so should be able to view.

Just checked my firmware. It's 1.52.427 too, so looks like we have the same issue. It only updated yesterday, but I'd not used the camera for maybe a week. I didn't force any sort of update. The mobile app told me one was available, but I was sure to use that as I wanted the latest firmware on there for any testing.
  • BikerRobBikerRob Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi PjSmith,

On youtube I found this video. It's the Git2 mounted in it's waterproof case and the rider wanted to test the added gyro-function. No external microphone attached, just the normal actioncam. Sound quality is very good. Very little windnoise and good engine sound (even at high speed).

It's worth checking out.
    pjsmith wrote:
    Sorry - Forgot to toggle that switch. Now Public, so should be able to view.

Just checked my firmware. It's 1.52.427 too, so looks like we have the same issue. It only updated yesterday, but I'd not used the camera for maybe a week. I didn't force any sort of update. The mobile app told me one was available, but I was sure to use that as I wanted the latest firmware on there for any testing.

I started my Bandit last night and started recording at 1080 60fps. Within 13 minutes it said check SD card. So I formatted the card in the Bandit and started recording again, kept going till the battery died, same card. Do you use use Windows or Mac?
  • XennoNLXennoNL Posts: 25 [Outstanding Explorer]
    By now i stoped using the bandit just because of the audio issues. it doesnt do what its supposed to do.
    Wish i could return it and spend the money on a sony or gopro.. :(
    the-civvie wrote:
    I started my Bandit last night and started recording at 1080 60fps. Within 13 minutes it said check SD card. So I formatted the card in the Bandit and started recording again, kept going till the battery died, same card. Do you use use Windows or Mac?

I'm using Windows. I would mention that I'm no newbie to these things (though not immune to making mistakes). I ensure I eject the USB storage before pulling it out of the drive etc to ensure it is unmounted properly. Before the testing I did, I formatted the card inside the camera. I only ever did this the once before, after I had the SD card issues and it appeared to resolve them at the time.

Yesterday, on the bicycle test, it did stop recording after a short time and I tried to get it to do it again, even resetting the camera, stopping and starting recording etc., but it would not.

I'm home for a few hours now, so will just leave it recording on the desk and see what happens. I'll format the card in the device again first.
    OK, No I asked in case it was a Mac OS X thing but you using Windows means it is not. I have used 2 batteries now, 4K lasts over 2 hours, and still cannot get it to do it again. I am charging the battery with the Micro SD card that stopped recording so will try it again at 1080 60fps. I use an app called Safe Eject which removes the .DStore and other weird files that OS X puts onto SD cards, but I may try the next time and not use it and write and delete files and test a bit more
    Oddly I put a Micro SD card that I have not used in ages and the Bandit Studio said that firmware 1.48.56 is available
    The firmware is written to the SD card. The camera takes it from there if it sees it. The 'studio' app will copy the firmware to the card if it sees new firmware. You likely had old firmware still on that card. At least your experiment shows we can downgrade if needed. Just stopped mine after 56 mins of 1080/30 and it's OK. Camera is quite warm though! Not an issue outside though I guess.

My scary thought is, I'm travelling down the road thinking I'm capturing this awesome video/event on a once in a lifetime journey and the camera has gone to sleep. I need to press record and it should stay recording, regardless. If it encounters an issue with the SD card, fair enough. Close the file, log and error, then try to resume recording at least. If I miss that event, I'll never get it back. I press start on the gopro and it just runs until the card is full or the battery fails. Never failed.

I'll have a fiddle with it in wifi mode again in case that is related and see what happens. I'll update this thread if I have anything useful to add. Checked some of your videos btw - Made me try to add Ireland to my trip whilst I'm up near there :)
    OK, after about 3 minutes of recording with wifi, gps on, the app crashed 'Unfortunately, Bandit has stopped' and the camera stopped recording. I sent the crash report. The camera still said it was connected to the mobile. I disconnected via the camera and started recording again. It's still going.
    pjsmith wrote:
    The firmware is written to the SD card. The camera takes it from there if it sees it. The 'studio' app will copy the firmware to the card if it sees new firmware. You likely had old firmware still on that card. At least your experiment shows we can downgrade if needed. Just stopped mine after 56 mins of 1080/30 and it's OK. Camera is quite warm though! Not an issue outside though I guess.

My scary thought is, I'm travelling down the road thinking I'm capturing this awesome video/event on a once in a lifetime journey and the camera has gone to sleep. I need to press record and it should stay recording, regardless. If it encounters an issue with the SD card, fair enough. Close the file, log and error, then try to resume recording at least. If I miss that event, I'll never get it back. I press start on the gopro and it just runs until the card is full or the battery fails. Never failed.

I'll have a fiddle with it in wifi mode again in case that is related and see what happens. I'll update this thread if I have anything useful to add. Checked some of your videos btw - Made me try to add Ireland to my trip whilst I'm up near there :)

No the card was completely empty. and why firmware instead of the most recent, it asked me to install an old firmware. Very odd. I cannot understand why it recorded, said there was a problem with the card and stopped recording. Then I restarted recording and it ran fine and twice since ok.

Like you it concerns me that I could lose footage of a trip. I had a GoPro that I sold because I found it impossible to charge the batteries when away, I returned from Russia with no video footage. I did discover that using the remote, it flashes red when the Bandit is recording, and that way you have some indication if it stops. But you may not notice it at first.

I am going to religiously format the Micro SD card every time I put it into the Bandit and see what happens. I have drained my 2 batteries twice each now and apart from the first time, no repeat.

I am hoping to visit further along the Wild Atlantic Way, and do some more videos. I am lucky that I have this beauty on my doorstep.
    Pjsmith. Watching your video. Like you, I have an Intercom and I have had telephone calls where the caller is totally unaware I am on a helmet. I was thinking of getting the cable and a mic but given your video I will hold off. Until now, I have been ok with music as the video sound, but I do want to venture into vlogging.

I use the remote to monitor the camera status, once I see the red flash I am ok. I have it strapped to the mirror stem there is a wide bit below the lens. Handy to also mark incidents. Have you tried the Mic with your GoPro. Would be interesting for TT to see the difference
    The bandits external waterproof connectors and the ability to easily use an external mic for vlogging were part of my reasoning for purchasing the bandit.

I think for the sake of comparison though, it would be a good experiment. I will try and get some comparison audio from the GoPro on the bike with and with the same external mic. Just got to get a USB adapter cable for it first. I'm also trying to get hold of a standalone headset mike to try. Times running out for me though now. Packing today :)
    I also hated the GoPro on my helmet, felt like a brick weight. Yes, I forgot that at higher speeds you need the full waterproof case.

I am going to order a Mic cable this month and then buy a decent mic when I can afford it
    OK, 3rd public test video with another purchased microphone. Not perfect, but better. TomTom still definitely needs to build in some MIC sensitivity control. It is better than anything else I managed so far though. Remember, max 35mph for me here due to speed limits. Need to see how it works 50-60 really. This mic has cut a lot of the ambient noise and certainly reduced the wind noise at the lower speeds. MIC placement in the helmet may help more as may some fur, which I omitted for this first test.

I am watching it now Pjsmith and so far it seems a lot better. Yes there is some wind noise. What mic is that that you are using, could not make it out in the video. I see the remote idea is working for you as well
    the-civvie wrote:
    I am watching it now Pjsmith and so far it seems a lot better. Yes there is some wind noise. What mic is that that you are using, could not make it out in the video. I see the remote idea is working for you as well

I put a link in the video description to the exact one I purchased, but it's an "Olympus ME12 Noise Cancellation Microphone".
    pjsmith wrote:
    the-civvie wrote:

I put a link in the video description to the exact one I purchased, but it's an "Olympus ME12 Noise Cancellation Microphone".

Ah ok I was watching it on my Apple TV so don't see the description
  • Militant AsianMilitant Asian Posts: 15 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Anyone come up with any better solution? I am thinking of trying the Sena 20S with it, but not sure how I would connect it to the bandit and have it record the voice?
    Anyone come up with any better solution? I am thinking of trying the Sena 20S with it, but not sure how I would connect it to the bandit and have it record the voice?
    I too had that thought but there is no way to connect the camera or to it. Out of interest yesterday, I called home to the answer machine and recorded some voice from my cheapie intercom. Perfect. Could not even tell I was on the bike. The audio from the bandit at the same time, not so good.
  • CPGCPG Posts: 48 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    TomTom Bandit Microphones Tried but not working very well:
    Information from the Forum posts.

Useless:
    Olympus ME-52W
    Speedlink SPES SL-8691-SBK-01
    Sony stereo ECM-CS3

Slightly better than useless:
    Olympus ME12 Noise Cancellation Microphone
    Interphone FM3-MC microphone

Please add to this list, my attempt at getting good audio (4 videos so far)

And my Forum posts:
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-bandit-action-camera-477/tomtom-bandit-external-microphone-audio-problems-999889

Can TomTom please advise as to their intentions on sorting this audio problem out!
  • Militant AsianMilitant Asian Posts: 15 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Was considering give the MyMyk SportsMyk a go:

http://www.mymyk.com/index.php/sportsmyk/

It gets good review when used with a gopro, its designed to be used for action cams to reduce wind noise, anyone given it ago?
    Was considering give the MyMyk SportsMyk a go:

http://www.mymyk.com/index.php/sportsmyk/

It gets good review when used with a gopro, its designed to be used for action cams to reduce wind noise, anyone given it ago?

I looked for this sort of thing to try and beat these wind/noise issues, but all these, including this one seem to require power which I do not believe the TomTom supplies (I might be wrong).