TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Bandit Camera- stops recording after 10 minutes of no motion

the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
Today I was out on the motorbike and visited a friend. I stuck my helmet on the mirror, leaving the Bandit recording, I forgot it was at the time. Came back a while later and it wasn't recording. At the time I thought I had stopped the recording, but on review no one was near the camera when it happened.

This is not the first time, about a week ago the same thing happened, when again I stopped and took the helmet off and put it on the mirror. But this time it stopped recording after 90 seconds.

I am going to try a total reset of the camera and see if that helps and report back. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed. It never happens when I am moving

Comments

• NunquamNunquam Posts: 49 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I have a similar problem. I tend to have the bandit camera on my motor cycle helmet. Sometimes after a few minutes the camera bleeps and turns its self off. Sort of annoying. I have re formatted memory card and will try again. I don't know if this a problem that others have and if there is a cure.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    Yeah I went out today, after formatting the card by the camera. Seemed to be ok. Hopefully will get out tomorrow to try again
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for reporting your issues!

Mostly these kinds of issues are caused by something wrong with the SD card. (Re)-formatting the card in the camera solves this.

Should this not help you solve the issue, please contact Customer Service for further assistance.

Cheers, Mikko
    I think the problem may have been that the card was put into my Mac. It adds some short files .DStore etc and other things. I used an application to remove these before ejecting the Micro SD card and will see. I seen these Mac files an directories cause a problem with another device
    the-civvie wrote:
    I think the problem may have been that the card was put into my Mac. It adds some short files .DStore etc and other things. I used an application to remove these before ejecting the Micro SD card and will see. I seen these Mac files an directories cause a problem with another device
    That could indeed be the case. Formatting the SD card in the camera gets rid of all such files. I'd recommend to do it always when using a card that has been used in another device.

Cheers, Mikko
    Originally i had each Micro SD card with a different numbered name. But it was my OCD lol
  • TheWorthinGerTheWorthinGer Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi

I had this problem of camera bleeping and stopping after a few minutes. "check sd card" message and in camera format etc with no success.

Resorted to full low level format in pc - as in not quick format, which is what the camera does - takes a while with a 64gb card but appears to have solved the problem.
    Oddly, and I should have mentioned this, if I started recording again it was ok. And it only seemed to happen when I stopped and took the helmet off, but it recorded for a minute or two and then stopped. I do now format the card after putting it back into the camera so will report back in a few weeks.
  • ArmataArmata Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hello I've got the same problem. My camera keeps on stopping recording after short period of time. I figured out to format a SD card, but the camera records max 10-15 min video and starts record another one? To be honest it is very annoying considering that I hardly did any recording so far. The camera is new. Do I need to format SD card every time I switch camera on? Or do I need to change a card?
    You need to do a full low level format of your sd card on your pc and not in the camera.

That solved the problem for me.
    Hi The WorthinGer, what do you mean on "your pc"? I don't use pc, I only use camera and mobile phone.
    Have someone with a pc or laptop do a complete format form you.
    Understood, thanks. I will try
    Armata wrote:
    Hello I've got the same problem. My camera keeps on stopping recording after short period of time. I figured out to format a SD card, but the camera records max 10-15 min video and starts record another one? To be honest it is very annoying considering that I hardly did any recording so far. The camera is new. Do I need to format SD card every time I switch camera on? Or do I need to change a card?

That is not the same issue. That is a standard recording segment length because of a restriction on the FAT file system used by the Micro SD card. No amount of formatting will stop it creating the 15 minute segments, which happen on all Action Cameras
    The-Civvie thank you. So in overall I've got now two separate issues, firstly need for SD card formatting and secondly a restriction on the FAT file system (sorry no idea what is it). I guess second one easy to leave with. The first one is more annoying.
    Yes sadly there is no way around the 15 minute recording limit, I think it is the file size as opposed to the time. I always format the cards in my Bandit and that so far, touch wood, seems to have done the trick. I also keep my remote on the bike's handlebars so I can see the red flash as a back up
    The segment size is related to the fat file system. Trying and xfat format might allow a longer segment. I had to complete a low level format as camera was stopping after one of two minutes.
    Did the low level format help any? I think someone tried xfat but found it did not help. I think the limit is hard coded in the bandit to ensure compatibility
    The low level format cured the fault in was suffering as recording stopped altogether after 1 or 2 minutes. I suspect that the unit will record in 4gb blogs regardless of the file system used.

It doesn't worry me too much I only record for insurance purposes and to embarrass poor drivers rather than as a record of any kind of adventure.
    The low level format cured the fault in was suffering as recording stopped altogether after 1 or 2 minutes. I suspect that the unit will record in 4gb blogs regardless of the file system used.

It doesn't worry me too much I only record for insurance purposes and to embarrass poor drivers rather than as a record of any kind of adventure.

I do the odd similar video but I live in a very rural area so it is hard to find them at times :)
    I ride a Transalp wearing a white helmet with my bandit on top and a very official looking yellow vest - I've lost count of the number of drivers who've dropped their mobile phones of slowed down considerably when they have seen me looking at them.

It's become a little game now.
  • THOSONEILLTHOSONEILL Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Folks - my bandit action camara stops recording anywhere between 40 to 180 seconds - I have formatted the 128gb micro sd card firstly on my PC and then with the card in the actual camera - it stills stops recording when paired with my mobile phone - it records fine when not paired to my phone - this is no good as I use the phone as a viewfinder when the camera is perched on my bike helmet - can customer service suggest a definitive fix - or do I buy a new micro sd card - obviously I would prefer a fix - basically I can't get the use of my camera at present
    Full low level format of card in pc/laptop cured this problem for me. As described above.
    Hi Neill,

Welcome to the forum!

As mentioned above, such issues mostly relate to the particular SD card used. For best performance we recommend using one of the cards listed here.

Cheers, Mikko
  • THOSONEILLTHOSONEILL Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Mikko - I have escalated my problem to tomtom support who have yet to resolve my issues - I bought a new Sandisk extreme card which has made no difference - as the camera is still under warranty I reckon I'll be looking for a full refund or exchange - I've been unable to use the camera successfully since I purchased it - that's no use to me