TomTom MultiSports unable to Pair with Android 6.0 (HTC One M8) — TomTom Community

TomTom MultiSports unable to Pair with Android 6.0 (HTC One M8)

ElHickmanoElHickmano Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
Since upgrading my phone to Marshmallow (Android 6.0) I have been unable to pair with my MultiSports watch. I can see the watch is trying to pair and presents me with a 6-digit pin, however the Bluetooth connection on the phone states that the pin is incorrect but doesn't give me anywhere to enter the new pin! It looks like this is happening with lots of Android 6.0 devices and I can't imagine the fix for this is difficult, please can this be addressed ASAP.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,345
    Superusers
    ElHickmano wrote:
    Since upgrading my phone to Marshmallow (Android 6.0) I have been unable to pair with my MultiSports watch. I can see the watch is trying to pair and presents me with a 6-digit pin, however the Bluetooth connection on the phone states that the pin is incorrect but doesn't give me anywhere to enter the new pin! It looks like this is happening with lots of Android 6.0 devices and I can't imagine the fix for this is difficult, please can this be addressed ASAP.

Due to Android constantly changing the OS and the and phone manufacturers making further modifications to the OS some version work better than others. Keep an eye out for an icon in the notification area at the top, some phone models require you to allow the app access in a separate window that does not pop to the front automatically. Finally, make sure you have location services on, another user found this was the issue for them. Enabling the Localization in the top of the phone isn't enough. The Localization Services of Google+ has to be active too. I have posted a link to their instructions below:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mysports-connect-apps-389/multi-sport-fail-to-pair-bluetooth-again-this-time-android-m-990989

You can search the forums for Android connectivity and you will find dozens of posts about it. It seems to be hit or miss depending on the phone, the OS version and how it was customized by the manufacturer. They seem to be working on it and some more phones seem to be compatible but they cannot test everyone and make it work for everyone as Android 6.0 is actually not the same OS on every phone (like iOS is on Apple phones).

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • ElHickmanoElHickmano Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thanks for the reply, location services are already turned on (not sure why this would affect Bluetooth connectivity though). I realise that Android application development is a pain but this particular problem seems to be affecting users with all different brands of phones so unlikely to be manufacturer tweaking. I'm just moaning on here to hopefully raise the profile of the problem with TomTom and expedite a fix :-)
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,345
    Superusers
    ElHickmano wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, location services are already turned on (not sure why this would affect Bluetooth connectivity though). I realise that Android application development is a pain but this particular problem seems to be affecting users with all different brands of phones so unlikely to be manufacturer tweaking. I'm just moaning on here to hopefully raise the profile of the problem with TomTom and expedite a fix :-)

I just paired my watch to an Android device and it was not connecting until I noticed a tiny little watch icon on the notification bar at the top. I had to open the notification bar, hit the entry for TomTom GPS watch and then it brought up the code input screen. Until I opened the notification bar and hit the prompt it would not connect so take a look at this.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    I just paired my watch to an Android device and it was not connecting until I noticed a tiny little watch icon on the notification bar at the top. I had to open the notification bar, hit the entry for TomTom GPS watch and then it brought up the code input screen. Until I opened the notification bar and hit the prompt it would not connect so take a look at this.

Thanks for sharing your tip! :D

This has also been added to this FAQ.

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks for the tip, unfortunately is doesn't work for me. I've tried all the steps in the FAQ, I've even tried deleting the App data / cache and starting from scratch but I cannot get the watch to pair. When I start the App I get the Tap to Connect message, BT is turned on by the App and I can see the watch listed. I then tap on the Multi-Sport watch in the App and get the message "Bluetooth Pairing request - From "Multi-Sport" Pair with this Device [Cancel/Pair]". I Click Pair and it just goes back to the Tap to Connect screen. I can see the Watch icon in the notifications, tapping this message just leads me back to the Tap to Connect screen. Trying to pair manually through the BT settings and I get the message "Unable to pair - Couldn't pair with Multi-Sport because of an incorrect PIN or passkey [Cancel/Retry]". Retry just displays the same message - no possibility to enter the new PIN. Mikko, can this issue be addressed please it is really frustrating!!!
  • DanimatosDanimatos Posts: 59 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    tfarabaugh wrote:

Due to Android constantly changing the OS and the and phone manufacturers making further modifications to the OS....
    Bla, bla, bla, always the same stuff.
    It's been months since this bug was notified and until now, TomTom has done nothing to fix.
    This week Google launched the 1st Developer Preview of Android 7, and the story will repeat, they'll fix the bug in Android 6 and another one will, appear in Android 7.
    ElHickmano, sell your TomTom Watch and buy yourself another brand.
  • DanimatosDanimatos Posts: 59 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Welcome to the party!!!
    Here's a link to another thread with the same problem.
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mysports-connect-apps-389/cannot-pair-with-android-60-991076/index1.html
  • Alasdair GAlasdair G Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm having the exact same problem. Can't pair my Multisport cardio watch to my HTC M8 running Android 6.0. I've tried resetting the watch and re-installing the app, but nothing works. Every time I accept the watch's request to pair, the process resets...I never get to enter the pin. This is becoming really frustrating and makes me wish I'd bought a Garmin watch instead. I don't want to have to find a PC after every run!
  • yaroninyaronin Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Facing same issue with LG G3. The workaround with clicking on watch icon in Notification bar didn't work for me.
    Any working solution maybe?
    Any intention to fix this issue by Tomtom?
    Hooray, a new version of the App has arrived on my phone! Boo, sadly this problem is still present. Come on TomTom, when are you going to fix this problem?
  • EugenedEugened Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same issue here the watch won't connect to my phone, the app doesn't ask for a pin
    . Same issue in two phones I'm literally at my witts end and almost pulling the trigger on a Garmin.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0