TT Bandit- HR strap not recognised — TomTom Community

TT Bandit- HR strap not recognised

ashpocketrocketashpocketrocket Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
Hi chris i bought the bandit to do fitness videos specifically because of the heart rate feature but the camera doesn't recognise the bluetooth heart rate strap (tom tom). Please help

Comments

• the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Master Traveler]
    Hi chris i bought the bandit to do fitness videos specifically because of the heart rate feature but the camera doesn't recognise the bluetooth heart rate strap (tom tom). Please help

Have you paired the strap to the camera? I haven't got the strap as yet, just waiting to order it
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi, ashpocketrocket, the steps to link the heart rate monitor to the TomTom Bandit are listed in the reference guide: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/bandit/html/en-gb/index.htm#Theheartratemonitor-Camera.htm let us know if you are still experiencing issues after following these steps.
  • ashpocketrocketashpocketrocket Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    hey mate, the bandit failed to even find the bluetooth heart rate strap. Just changed the unit and will update in a few hours!
    Two units and three heart rate belts later (including an official tom tom one) I have returned the bandit and am the proud new owner of a garmin Virb XE. Worked perfectly. Such a shame as the bandit is an awesome camera but i needed the heart rate function.
    Hi ashpocketrocket, the TomTom Bandit will only work with the TomTom HRM, when you were trying to connect were you wearing the Heart Rate Monitor at the time?
    Chris, I have a feeling he won't be back. He did say he used a TT HRM but maybe he missed a step. I have a Lidl strap and cannot link it, though I only bought it for my exercise monitoring on the phone. It is a Bluetooth model
    Hey guys I've been using hr monitors for almost a decade and am pretty clued up with technology. The tom tom cameras were just faulty. I expect the problem was a firmware issue but two weeks in and am really happy with my garmin. Good luck amigos.
    I would be very keen to know if anyone else is experiencing similar issues.
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Chris wrote:
    I would be very keen to know if anyone else is experiencing similar issues.

Hi Chris!
    It tried to connect my Polar H7 Belt which works well with my other devices. I followed the instaructions step by step which says:
    (3) From the Camera Status screen on your TomTom Bandit, move down to open the SETTINGS screen.
    (4) Select GENERAL then select CONNECT.
    (5) Select SENSORS then move right.
    (6) Select HEART, then move right to turn it on.
    With the above, it was NOT possible to get a connection! I used another belt, which also did NOT connect!
    The only feedback the Bandit gives ist "searching"!
    ---> An there seems to be the first issue: The unit was NOT searching - just saying!

After playing around I suddenly got it to work!
    What I did: After switching HEART from OFF --> to ON, I unintentionally klicked with the joy stick to "right direction". And only then the Bandit started to connect to the Polar Sensor!

Here is the complete instruction with corrected Step 6 and the MISSING STEP 7:
    (3) From the Camera Status screen on your TomTom Bandit, move down to open the SETTINGS screen.
    (4) Select GENERAL then select CONNECT.
    (5) Select SENSORS then move right.
    (6) Select HEART, then move right.
    (7) SELECT "ON" AND MOVE ONCE MORE TO RIGHT DIRECTION

When Bandit says "searching" without the so important Step 7, it was sure that no more input was required! What a mistake! One should not belive everthing what is indicated ;)

The Bandit also reconnects the HR-Belt automatically when the unit is turned on - perfect :8

PS:
    My biggest concern is the rcording limit of 4 GB for a single clip. And I have no glue how to merge two clips without loosing the additional meta-data s.a. GPS location, time stamp, sensor data a.s.o.
    Kindly reply to my other posing in regard to that. And sorry if I was too sarcastic! The Bandit is an excellent Product and you can really be proud of it :D
    Hi Veeti, when I follow your steps, step 7 "MOVE ONCE MORE TO RIGHT DIRECTION" takes me back to the Sensors Menu, is this what you meant?
    I tried Veeti's method and cannot get my HR belt linked. Not overly worried as it is a cheap Lidl Bluetooth one
    Chris wrote:
    Hi Veeti, when I follow your steps, step 7 "MOVE ONCE MORE TO RIGHT DIRECTION" takes me back to the Sensors Menu, is this what you meant?

Hi Chris,
    yes you are correct! I have no idea why it should work like that, but it woked for me.
    I also tried out this methode with another TT-Bandit using the same HR-belt and the behaviour was the same!
    the-civvie wrote:
    I tried Veeti's method and cannot get my HR belt linked. Not overly worried as it is a cheap Lidl Bluetooth one
    Hi Civvie,
    the HR-belt I am using is a H7 from Polar. It supports Bluetooth version 4 also known as Bluetooth "Smart" or Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).

25828ed2-0d19-45b4-abc6-cab8cb11abfc.png

To find out if your HR-Belt is 4.0 or "Smart" campatible, just verify it with an android "BLE TOOL": https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lapis_semi.bleapp&hl=de

TT please inform if other (former) blue tooth standards are also sopported.
    I think it is not a BT4 belt, to be honest I am not worried as it was for my walks and using an app on my phone. I think when I get the funds I will buy the TT belt and replace the one I have with it
  • ChaliceChalice Posts: 13 [Master Explorer]
    Hi,

Is TOMTOM SPARK CARDIO compatible with TomTom Bandit for heart monitor?

Thanks
  • BenRabeBenRabe Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    I Have the panobike BT HR and its BT4 - sadly I cannot get it to connect ... I think it will be very foolish of TomTom if the advertised it as BT HR compatible when really its only TomTom HR compatible as it will be VERY misleading?
    Hi BenRabe, as it's our product we can only guarantee success with our own HR monitor, I am not familiar with the HR strap you mention, have you followed the steps as suggested by Veeti, it seemed to work for him?
    Yes i did and still nothing =/ Although i hear your point i still feel tomtom should then only advertise it as tomtom compatible and not BT compatible as its really not "BT compatible". When you buy the BT HR strap they dont say its BT but then it only works with panobike or polar or whichever brand you buy - it works with any BT device, well that's the case in most scenarios.
  • gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    benrabe: Chris didn't say it wouldn't work with another brand, he just stated Tomtom would GUARANTEE success only with their straps. In my experience, the BTLE strap from tomtom has worked flawlessly with other devices and my camera has accepted pretty much everything I tried to pair it to.

The thing is, you see, that there are several implementations of the BTLE norm, and some brands have even messed up a bit with the norm (suunto and polar are quite famous for that). in case you look at the fine prints of some Polar devices for example, you will notice that some features are only available if you use a Polar branded BTLE accessory with it... and I can tell by experience that only my Polar H7 band has had issues working with other devices (iphone and spark watch, but it works fine with my Polar watch)... so I would rather say, that the incompatibility issue comes from the Polar band... :( I'm not familiar with panobike, but it could be the case here too...
    hi gl00, well i would agree with what you said about the problem being with panobike if it was not for that fact that i have never ever had a problem with it before, not even with iOS or Android (different android devices as well). You are also correct about the polar bluetooth but on their product details they state that the device is limited to the brand compatibility. Polar has never made it a secret that they like to force you to buy the polar products by limiting compatibility. Anyways, doesn't help us to go on and on about it - it doesn't work and that's it.
  • sercolanisercolani Posts: 37 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I think it would be nice if the Bandit supported more HRM devices. When I bought the Bandit, I thought that I could use the HRM (Runtastic Bluetooth Combo) that I already owned. But I've tried to connect it so many times, and have never got it to pair.
  • Ottobia85Ottobia85 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello everybody! Any news on this topic? I have a Runtastic Bluetooth Combo as well and I`m having troubles to pair it. I`ve followed the Veeti guideline (thanks for that!) but I cant pair the devices. Anybody had any luck with that? Can somebody confirm me that once the HR monitor is paired the Bandit shows some sort of confirmation (bmr for instance)?
    Thanks,

Tob
  • sercolanisercolani Posts: 37 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I also have the Runtastic Bluetooth Combo HRM, but I have not been able to successfully pair it to the Bandit.