TomTom Traffic Sees Major Improvements and further expands coverage — TomTom Community

TomTom Traffic Sees Major Improvements and further expands coverage

MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
edited January 16 in News and announcements
Amsterdam, 9 February 2016 – TomTom today announced significant enhancements to its TomTom Traffic service – benefiting drivers using TomTom personal navigation devices (PNDs) and navigation apps, as well as customers who have licensing agreements with TomTom. The improvements are being revealed at the same time as TomTom announces a geo-expansion milestone for its traffic service. With the addition of Indonesia and Slovenia, TomTom Traffic is now available in 50 countries globally.

Major enhancements made to TomTom Traffic include Turn-Dependent Jam Information, Dynamic Speed Limit Messages, Weather Influenced Predictions and Road Condition Monitoring after Rain or Snow. The improvements will be rolled-out from April 2016.

Ralf-Peter Schäfer, Head of Traffic at TomTom, said: “At TomTom, we work tirelessly to ensure that we deliver a leading Traffic service. The major enhancements that we’re announcing today will improve the driving experience for people using our award-winning PNDs and apps, as well as drivers who are using a product that is powered by TomTom Traffic through a licensing agreement. We like to keep things simple, so drivers won’t notice many of the new features that are running in the background, but we do believe that they’ll notice that their journeys come with fewer headaches, as well as being faster.”

Please, see the full press release here.

Comments

• garugaru Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi MikkoK,

Since I am from Slovenia (new GO 500 user) and you have already announced that my country is now also on the list of countries with your traffic service, do you perhaps know when it will be really available (I see live traffic situation in all countries around Slovenia but not in SLovenia)?
    Thanks,
    garu
  • Andy-HAndy-H Posts: 17 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hello MikkoK,

Can you advise whether the enhancements announced for TomTom Traffic will support the older Live devices (such as the XL Live) or whether they will only be supported on the newer devices?

Thanks,
    Andrew
  • kacnjekacnje Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have the same question as Garu ... when will livetraffic be available. I tried on http://livetraffic.tomtom.com/ but there is no traffic information in Slovenia.
  • stevewalesstevewales Posts: 380 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Selective reading, please read the post properly, it says it's rolling out from April
    My understanding was that listed enhancements (dinamic speed, weather conditions,...) will be rolled out from April and that Tomtom traffic is already available as it was written ("with the addition of Slovenia and Indonesia, Tomtom traffic is NOW available ...).
    Anyhow, thanks for clarifying this (it is better than nothing)
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Great news, will be looking forward to this. Shame it doesn't cover sheep on the road :P Common problem in Connemara :8
    Just short update. I can confirm that live traffic is now available also in Slovenia :D. Actually I can see live traffic situation on my device (GO500) only. On livetraffic.tomtom.com, live traffic is not available yet.
  • acid-dropacid-drop Posts: 116 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    1. Turn-Dependent Jam Information
    Finally ! Very nice !
    if it works as expected, it should improve the accuracy by a huge lot.

2. Dynamic Speed Limit Messages
    only if the governement is sharing the info I guess. Appart from NL, i really don't know where this can work ;)

3. Weather Influenced Predictions and Road Condition Monitoring after Rain or Snow
    this is very much awaited.
    Right now, it shows snow or heavy rain only on a small amount of road, although it's clear it is snowing and raining everywhere, including on the small secondary roads...
    It should cover snow and rain as a area, and not per road. (as it used to be for the fog in the past)

4. We still miss a decent autodetection system for closed road. The current system is just completely failing. It's not even working 1% of the cases.
  • lojolojo Posts: 333 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I saw last week a traffic warning with a snow flake in the route bar of my GO. Seeing this post helps making sense of it because I wasn't aware of weather forecasts in the current GOs :) there wasn't any snow and it was snowing in mor areas than just the highlighted road.

I thought it was a warning for ice but it was too warm to have formed any ice at that particular moment.

Looking forward to get more details on how the new information will be presented to the end users
  • PJDSPJDS Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    When will you expand the service to provide a fully reliable service in the UK. Daily rush hour outages are the norm not an unusual occurrence. Your current service is way below acceptable and has been so for some considerable time.
  • cjay2412cjay2412 Posts: 127 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    does your battery still hold a charge it should stay on for at least 20 minutes when unplugged. your pnd need an extra power boost from the battery to get the initial traffic download.
    What is out or active right now? Press claims winter is coming back, a good chance to show off on the reporting of traffic due weather conditions before next winter.
  • UrielUriel Posts: 598 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    PJDS wrote:
    When will you expand the service to provide a fully reliable service in the UK. Daily rush hour outages are the norm not an unusual occurrence. Your current service is way below acceptable and has been so for some considerable time.

I guess you're using a Tomtom device with built in modem, not a smartphone app or linked phone?

My guess from the number of complaints about this is it's down to Vodafone's ageing 2G UK infrastructure. Various other (non Tomtom) services that rely on it also have problems.

If Vodafone can't be persuaded to properly maintain their infrastructure, and upgrade where necessary, Tomtom need to look at alternatives. Can the built-in SIMs be made to roam onto other networks like they would when abroad via a software update? If so - that's what needs to happen in the short term.

Also - I would suggest all future PNDs either being smartphone linked or having more up to date connection connection. How long will it be before 2G gets switched off entirely?
    so we are mid-april.
    When does the new features get enabled ?
  • cjay2412cjay2412 Posts: 127 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    i think the silence sums it up. perhaps there been technical issues with implementation?. looking at my device its not working yet
    so, still not in place ?
    before the summer hopefully ?
    Recently I have seen the satnav reporting slow traffic on uphill roads where there wasn't any.
    I like to think it was the automated system detecting trucks ascending extremely slow. Which is good for uphill roads with single lanes, not so good with multiple lanes with at least one where trucks are not allowed.
  • harsh1311harsh1311 Posts: 196 [Supreme Navigator]
    Hi Mikkoa, can you please confirm which of the mentioned services are now live in Holland? As we are in June now, I expect all of them have been enabled? For past couple of days I am driving through very heavy rains between Amsterdam and Utrecht in the evening rush hour, but haven't seen any weather related warnings yet from my TomTom Android app (using latest version 1.11)
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    But users of Rider 400, Rider 410 can't use this functions due to poor bluetooth installed in device.
    harsh1311 wrote:
    Hi Mikkoa, can you please confirm which of the mentioned services are now live in Holland? As we are in June now, I expect all of them have been enabled? For past couple of days I am driving through very heavy rains between Amsterdam and Utrecht in the evening rush hour, but haven't seen any weather related warnings yet from my TomTom Android app (using latest version 1.11)
    The weather information is active.
    the other ones, I don't think so.
  • meedermeeder Posts: 168 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Only weather is available as far as I can see. I haven't seen any other message.
  • WojciechWojciech Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hello TomTom,
    No traffic info around Brussels for already 3 days on my Go 5100. All updates are installed. I tried cold boot several times. In the TT Services menu I see: connected and 3x active but while navigating I'm not getting any HD traffic nor roadworks info.

Please provide status and planned fix-date.
    Thanks!
  • santricitysantricity Posts: 26 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Live traffic on Go 5100 doesn't work in Belgium and France. Can that be fixed asap? As Wojciech already mentioned, the services as marked as connected, but the live traffic icon in the main navigation view is crossed and traffic/roadworks information are not displayed.
    This post is for timestamping to track number of days it's been offline: 3 + 3 days... and counting. I have received email from TT support that the issue is known and being worked on. Email didn't mention any planned date or a commitment of any kind.
    Well, at least the first line support reacts quickly. :D
    I just received an email that there is an issue with data roaming (abroad). But there is no planned fix date yet. He also wrote that this matter is a priority for the team.

Could perhaps someone confirm whether live services work fine on devices purchased locally?
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online30

AuSwede
AuSwede
DougLap
DougLap
NB1945
NB1945
WinfriedFS
WinfriedFS
+26 Guests