GPS (GPX file) data extraction from video file - Page 2 — TomTom Community

GPS (GPX file) data extraction from video file

Comments

• gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    On a secondary note : due to the fact that HRMs, speed/cadence sensors etc. can only be connected to one device at a time, I have to choose to connect them either to my watch or to the camera. For now, I obviously prefer to connect them to my watch...

In my opinion the possibility to sync bandit footage to additional info that comes from a .ttbin or .fit file is actually necessary.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Marius,

I unmarked the answer so you can mark this topic as answered yourself when you're satisfied that it is indeed answered.

Thanks to you and gloo for your extensive feedback about this issue! You're really making a difference and helping us improve the product :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • MariusMarinusMariusMarinus Posts: 21 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Thanks Mikko. You are very welcome and I have to say I am impressed about Tomtom support so far. Chris has been brilliant. If you guys can sort this issue with an update by the end of the month (hopefully) I would be delighted. This is proper customer support! Very happy! if I get this to work I will order the Bandit in a split second ;-)
    Hi gl00,
    Did you get a chance to try the gpx converion with the new bandit studio version? I got a file from Chris and Its unfortunately still EXACTLY THE SAME error of NO TIMESTAMPS. Just wondering whether you managed to get this.
    I am so frustrated with this, really dont understand why this is still not possible, really would like to order this camera but have to get this working first...

Any help/feedback highly appreciated
    Cheers
    Hmmm... Will send you a file tonight, maybe you'll have better luck than I did. I saw that they indeed added timestamps, but i'm still not happy with the results.

Might be the converters i m using (tried 3 different ones), didn t get any better results than without the timestamp though: path is still showing these weird straight angle turns and speed is still odd...

it would be a lot easier for me if bandit would export files I can use without having to convert them... I fear I m not a big fan of tomtom's video editor and for the moment prefer to use a 3rd party editor... but cannot easily add overlays yet
    Thanks for your reply. yes but it seems you are at least able to export gpx files WITH timestamps? Thats at least one step further :-) As far as I know GPS files always have to be filtered before you can use them for smooth/realistic display in gauges anyway. GPSTRACKEDITOR is very good for that.
    Would be great if you could send me a banditstudio exported file for me to do some trials.

Cheers
    oh almost forgot, Marius
    here's a random bit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf85aa0ce5fyo3j/MOV_1764_points.kml?dl=0
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    gl00 wrote:
    oh almost forgot, Marius
    here's a random bit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf85aa0ce5fyo3j/MOV_1764_points.kml?dl=0

Hi gloo & Marius!

I also tried to verify if time stamps are now included in the KML files. After hours of frustration with different converters s.a. GPSBabel, GPS-Track-Analyse, GNaigia a.s.o. I was ruther sure that time stamps in the KML are still missing - untill I tried out RouteConverter --> Download Link http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_downloads_hs_getfile_v1_42439721.html?t=1458200971&v=3600&s=bb5e117be4185c91b05ce817b22c6ca3

View settings must be configured prior to see Time Stamps and other data! A speed signal is either missing or not indicated. The software allows to save/convert to several formats - even between gpx 1.0 and gpx 1.1 can be choosen.

Please let me know if you have been successful with other software!

e2183a52-f984-44a5-b78e-3ae845921845.png
    cool veeti : the time stamps are in there, just open the file in a plain text editor, you'll see how they are implemented.

the thing that worries me most is that I cannot manage to get a correct path (I was not drawing a square around the roundabout nor going in zigzags, just riding a bike normally...) and that my speed is completely wrong whatever converter I use...

I m now pretty sure though the issue is with the file itself... :(
    gl00 wrote:
    cool veeti : the time stamps are in there, just open the file in a plain text editor, you'll see how they are implemented.

the thing that worries me most is that I cannot manage to get a correct path (I was not drawing a square around the roundabout nor going in zigzags, just riding a bike normally...) and that my speed is completely wrong whatever converter I use...

I m now pretty sure though the issue is with the file itself... :(

OK! I did not think of the plain text editor :$

I believe, the speed problem can be caused by too less decimal places after the comma in the geo data. If you zoom into the roundabout, it is obvious that the geo resolution shoud be improved. As there is no separate speed data stored in the KML file, the speed calculation must be based on this inaccurate values.
    I also compared decimal places wth another high speed GPS tracker. Note the additional data marked "X" wich the tracker uses, and which are omitted by TomTom :
    2.09128X, 48.7796XX, 124.49XXXX

I belive, that TomTom can easily solve this issue by a firmware update.

b4c37661-1c63-43b6-bfb3-383efcc2c88a.png
    Ha ! That's genius veeti! Rounded decimals for GPS coordinates... THAT s what the issue was!

And the very great thing is that this issue should be easy to fix :) ... But it could have been so easy to avoid in the first place...! :(
    Thanks gl00 and Veeti! I was frustrated myself trying many different converters with no avail but the one you posted works! You are a blessing veeti! :-) I was finally able to convert the timestamps into a gpx file :-) and able to filter it into something a bit more realistic with GPSTrackEditor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vg8m6off9f6daly/MOV_1764_points gpx from gl00 track filtered 10m.gpx?dl=0

@gl00: Try this file and see if the speed is more realistic. Its about 35kmh (fast bike!) then coming towards the roundabout it slows down to around 15kmh.

see attached. obviously there is still a big issue about GPS accuracy, especiallyu at the roundabout but as you say this should be an easy fix for TomTom with a firmware update?
    @TOMTOM would it be possible to get better accuracy by not "rounding" dropping decimal places with a firmware update?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    I will bring it up with the team.
    Thanks Chris!
    Thanks gl00 and Veeti! I was frustrated myself trying many different converters with no avail but the one you posted works! You are a blessing veeti! :-) I was finally able to convert the timestamps into a gpx file :-) and able to filter it into something a bit more realistic with GPSTrackEditor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vg8m6off9f6daly/MOV_1764_points gpx from gl00 track filtered 10m.gpx?dl=0

@gl00: Try this file and see if the speed is more realistic. Its about 35kmh (fast bike!) then coming towards the roundabout it slows down to around 15kmh.

see attached. obviously there is still a big issue about GPS accuracy, especiallyu at the roundabout but as you say this should be an easy fix for TomTom with a firmware update?

If "smoothing" is important/critical, GNavigia (free software) may be useful. It includes several algorithm which can be adjusted to your needs: http://www.skiraware.de/GPS/GNavigia/D/DocGNavigiaHoehenGlaetten.html
    (German skills required)
    @gl00: Try this file and see if the speed is more realistic. Its about 35kmh (fast bike!) then coming towards the roundabout it slows down to around 15kmh

yes indeed, that works :) and that's about the speed I was going at! still a lot of effort to get something that should work straight out from the camera, without having to export, smooth, convert, etc...
    I spent some time with the RouteConverter Help Documentation and only now I realised, how powerful the software is. E.g. the built in "Elevation Services" and "Routing Services" automatically look up for best interpretation of the raw GPS data. That means, that raw GPS data of the input file are automatically replaced by better coordinates and levels from Google, NASA, etc. if available.
    Maybe this can help when data smoothing with other software is not satisfying...
  • GISDoktorGISDoktor Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi there!
    I bought a Bandit just yesterday and ran in exactly the same Issues like the ones discussed above.
    Second thing was a firmware update which run super-smooth, added a lot more options, but slowed down the time to a GPS-Fix and didn't improve accuracy.
    Obviously the missing numbers are still missing from the GPS-Coords. 4 decimals are just a bit to inaccurate. 5 would be nice, 6 excellent.
    While I am at the point of Accuracy: It would be great to log the GPS- time including miliseconds.
    My target is to synchronize the video footage dynamically with a map i.e. to move the pointer along the track and move the video accordingly or click on a point on the track to jump to the video.
    I don't know if there is topic for enhancement ideas but since they are GPS-related I drop them here:
    - Exporting highlights as points
    - Additional export-formats like plain CSV, GPX and to make us GIS-people happy: Good ol' SHP
    - A commandline-tool to extract GPS-data from the video files. May be as a kind of GDAL-plugin (www.gdal.org)?
    - Wouldn't it be nice to have a way to display the tracks on a background of Maps (like OSM...) provided by WMS' (WebMapService) ?

Don't worry: Despite all this ideas I really fell in love with the little bandit :)
  • Arkansas_JohnArkansas_John Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am right there with you guys on the GPS functionality. I would love to use these units for the stream assessment work that we are doing. As GISDoktor mentioned my need would be to "synchronize the video footage dynamically with a map i.e. to move the pointer along the track and move the video accordingly or click on a point on the track to jump to the video." Do you know if the bandits record GPS time in the metadata? I'm wondering if I can do a work around and use a different GPS and synchronize the video based on the timestamp. Just trying to figure out a solution. Any ideas?
    Do you know if the bandits record GPS time in the metadata? I'm wondering if I can do a work around and use a different GPS and synchronize the video based on the timestamp.

yes: time stamp of video file is known, and GPS sampling rate 1Hz, so it's actually really easy to sync any .GPX, .FIT or whatever file to the bandit's videos (or actually any video synced to the correct time). Dashware, mentionned at the beginning of this thread, allows to do that.

Even though I almost systematically use a GPS watch when I use the bandit camera, hopefully the next iteration of bandit studio will allow us to use the Bandit's own file (or even do that natively without having to export to a 3rd party software!)
  • Arkansas_JohnArkansas_John Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    OK. So the timestamp on the bandit video file is syncronized to GPS/UTC time?
    hmmm... short answer would be most of the time, yes.
    long one is that actually the camera's clock is synced to the computer or phone you connect it to every now and then, so make sure to sync all your devices when traveling to a different time zone.
    Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that we plan on releasing an update to the Bandit Studio (hopefully later today). As part of the update you will now also receive a GPX file when you export the data!

We will publish a full list of the new features over on the Bandit Studio board when the release is made available.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-bandit-studio-beta-478

Kind Regards

Chris