VIA 1505M World Traveller - Using micro-SDHC after a first map update done

[1] I had done the following to the TomTom without a memory card with original USA-Canada-Mexico map and Europe map :
- remove the original USA-Canada-Mexico map
- Install the Eastern US and Canada

[2] Do I need to plug a micro-SDHC card in and download all latest USA-Canada-Mexico map and Europe map by logging in my MyDrive Connect account? [The memory would be a blank one before inserting it in the TomTom.]

- From TomTom web site, it seems to me that it can also support 32GB micro-SDHC card.
Source: http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7957/~/which-memory-card-can-i-use-to-install-maps?

I couldn't see TomTom drive from my computer in order to copy files. It worked for ONE XL device.

Comments

• canvinhcanvinh Posts: 1,498 [Exalted Pioneer]
    My Via 1505M WTE's serial number starts with BQ. Does this mean micro-SDHC card is ok?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,155 Superusers
    Strange. BQ = Start 25 - 8GB

Anyway, call support to clarify:

866 486 6866
    Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT
    Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT
    Based on support's details. It's actually a VIA 1510. It has 8 GB internal memory. I could also use 16 GB-32 GB micro-SHDC memory card.

Technical Support said that I only need to plug the memory card in and download full maps of US-Canada-Mexico and Europe. If the internal memory is full, it'd use the external memory.

Whenever I have the memory card [in transit], I'll verify this.
    The MyDriveConnect did download maps and data to our computer before transferring those to the TomTom device. However I couldn't find the folder where it stored. Thus, they have deleted files after installation?

I found the folder storing maps and files in my PC for ONE XL using TomTom Home.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,155 Superusers
    My maps and data are stored here:
    C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\TomTom\HOME3\cache

I suspect yours will be the same BUT don't pretend to try to see what's actually the contents of each file. Not like the old devices.
    I found those files on my computer, but as you said the filenames didn't reveal anything. Also I didn't see the structure of my device as a drive in my computer.

It's quite different than ONE XL.
    Finally I have the 32GB micro-SHDC to plug in. I can't view the current capacity, but I could download full map of USA_Canada_and_Mexico. Previously, without the 32GB memory card I had to download Eatern_US_and_Canada in stead of a full map. The Europe map is untouched. I did this by using MyDrive Connect without special steps.

I guess, as the technical support told me, the 32 GB memory card extends the current 8 GB internal memory, thus I have roughly 40 GB. I rounded up as manufacturer didn't provide a full 32 GB stick. I wanted this in stead of 16 GB, because I wanted to make sure future maps by TomTom in years ahead, e.g. 16 GB-maps.

I'll download the update of Europe map later as I have seized the computer for too long, 3 hours for downloading to my PC and 45 minutes for updating the device. I am sure that a lot of customers would avoid to buy maps or update maps because of slow downloading time.
    FYI: the current maps in my device are "US_Canada_and_Mexico" and Europe, i.e. the Eastern_US_and_Canada map has been replaced.

I like the Eastern_US_and_Canada map because it is very accurate. It said inch-by-inch navigation details.

I will verify in a trip for the new US_Canada_and_Mexico map. The old US_and_Canada map in my ONE XL was off many houses. That's why I preferred the Eastern_US_and_Canada map.
    FYI: The first time connecting VIA 1510M WTE to my computer with pre-loaded USA_Canada_and_Mexico and Europe maps, I didn't have an external memory card, so only 8 GB internal memory.

At connection to MyDrive Connect, it showed a split screen with
    - Left Hand Side [LHS] with new maps, i.e. USA_Canada_and_Mexico and Europe maps with around 4GB each
    - Righ Hand Side [RHS] with existing maps, i.e. pre-loaded USA_Canada_and_Mexico and Europe maps

I couldn't pick the new USA_Canada_and_Mexico map due to insufficient disk space, thus
    - Remove the USA_Canada_and_Mexico map from the RHS using an arrow key.
    - I picked the Eastern_US_and_Canada map from the LHS and move to the RHS
    - Start the update process

The Eastern_US_and_Canada map downloaded and replaced the existing USA_Canada_and_Mexico map

I bought a 32 GB memory card, and plugged in in order to download full maps. See the answer above for notes.

TomTom should have a quick notes about the process. I was wondering about the existing maps, and updating maps with and without a memory card.
    FYI: technical support suggested to use a Class 10 memory card for a minimum transfer speed of 10 Mbps between navigation device and maps on the card. This probably is required for reading back data from the card by the navigation device to provide smooth map display.