Clarification of the meaning of "Lifetime maps"

justbrowsingjustbrowsing Posts: 3,094 [Renowned Trailblazer]
edited January 30 in Map installation
I keep seeing so many posts/questions/queries about this I thought I'd do a quick "search" around here (shame some others don't before posting almost duplicate questions), and very quickly found a link to this which is pretty self-explanatory:- https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16409/ and I quote:-

If you buy a navigation device or smartphone app which includes Lifetime Maps, you can download 4 or more full updates of your map every year for the lifetime* of your product.

Lifetime Maps are available without additional charge and for as long as the product is supported.

The map updates are the full updates for the map that is pre-installed on your device or that is installed on your smartphone app. The geographical coverage and feature support in the map will continue to match the original version, as long as the original is commercially available.

You will receive all available updates to road network, addresses and Points of Interest in these releases.

We continuously add more detail to our maps, which means that they increase in size. Due to this size increase, devices with limited memory may not have enough space to install a whole map. You can switch between the available map zones at any time using MyDrive Connect or TomTom HOME. If your device supports 3D maps, you may need a memory card to install the full 3D version of your map. You can also choose to install the full map with partial 3D coverage on the internal memory of your device.

*Lifetime – this is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more. The useful life of the smartphone app means the period of time that TomTom continues to support the app with updates.

Mod edit: Updated the FAQ link

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi justbrowsing,

Thanks for posting this! :D

I'll make it a sticky so that people can find it easier.

Cheers, Mikko
  • cubatraidercubatraider Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    its a ripoff
  • justbrowsingjustbrowsing Posts: 3,094 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    its a ripoff

Why? you won't get "lifetime" (whatever you construe that to mean) support for any old/obsolete/superceded/replaced item/product etc. What about old cars/washing machines etc etc and, what about Windows XP etc (great for many years but now defunct/replaced).
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,788 Superusers
    its a ripoff
    @cubatraider
    Typical negative sound-bite reply without substance to back it up

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    If that is the case please explain why I cannot update the maps on my device which supposedly came with "lifetime maps". Currently all I get is the option to uninstall the maps or but them again! Rip off!
  • shopdad1shopdad1 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    i got a prompt to clear my maps then reinstall them. I paid for lifetime maps but now my TomTom is DeadDead. It's tries to do what I think is a system update, but it sits and sits for hours. I left it on overnight and it was still "Updating" in the morning. I just want directions on how to get to load updated maps with my code and have my system running again. That's all.... where is "free map update", "enter code for free maps".
    I sorry but this system is frustrating.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,188 Superusers
    Call support:

United States
    866 486 6866
    Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT
    Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT
  • CliffTCliffT Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had purchased a "new" used VIA 1605TM and out of the box it told me the map was out of date. I thought, no problem it has lifetime maps! All the original box contents were there including the lifetime maps placard that says IMPORTANT-DO NOT DISCARD. No problem right? yeah, the code at the bottom of the card had already been used..... My thoughts were "Why would a lifetime maps statement be tied to a promo code?" So, I came here to the forum to look for an answer and found the customer service center contact phone number. After speaking with the rep there he sent me an email asking for a photo of the box where it says "lifetime maps" on it and he will activate the maps update in my account. How flippin' cool is that! :D
  • CliffTCliffT Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Update - Within FIVE MINUTES the rep (Nikhil M) had responded to my photo and I've now updated my maps! Thanks to him and this forum for the assistance in this. For all of you "Negative types" out there, I can only say that you can either be a "Wendell Whiner" or be pro-active and find a solution, I did. TomTom customer for life!
  • IVDCLVM2IVDCLVM2 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm very disapointed that there is no Map of Costa Rica, even if there is a download for Latin America. That is why I bought a Go 5100. So what do I do? Return it to the store?
    Caveat Emptor!
  • BuzzMapperBuzzMapper Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Experiencing the same situation here. Map Update expired, Hmmphhh !!!!

Please do not confuse the customers.
    Hi
    Welcome to the site

Contact Tomtom Support to sort out you Account... Did you register your Liftime maps ???
    Contact Tomtom support.....
    Phone : Australia 1800815318
    Monday - Friday: 07:30 - 14:30

Or Try.....
    https://au.support.tomtom.com/app/contact

ATB YFM

What does this mean? "*Lifetime – this is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more. The useful life of the smartphone app means the period of time that TomTom continues to support the app with updates."

It's still not clear what TomTom Means by lifetime. "Useful life", is that 6 months, 1 year, 2 years or more? If Tom Tom decided not to support a device, say, six months after it's launch then they would have fulfilled their condition. I realise that is a bit extreme and they wouldn't be very popular but
    Why not just state that "we will support xxxxxx device for a minimum of x years"? Their current definition is a cop out.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,188 Superusers
    No it's not. For example, devices purchased nine years ago still can purchase updated maps even though technical problems with the devices won't be dealt with by TomTom.
    dhn wrote:
    No it's not. For example, devices purchased nine years ago still can purchase updated maps even though technical problems with the devices won't be dealt with by TomTom.
    Hi
    + 1... Tomtom have a proven record for still supporting even the very early devices

ATB YFM

Hi
    @shogunsan
    What's a Joke ???... What's illegal ???

ATB YFM

Hi
    @shogunsan
    Whatever you purchase today, the company supplying the goods will apply terms and conditions

Tomtom T&C's.....
    http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19326/locale/en_GB

The Ga*m*n T&C's for Lifetime Maps are just the same

ATB YFM

Try and install latest eu map on a lifetime map update tomtom go 50 unit.

You can't

Not unless you buy a memory card.

So now I have a 4 month old device that should be updateable but can't be
    Thedj wrote:
    Rip off!!!

Try and install latest eu map on a lifetime map update tomtom go 50 unit.

You can't

Not unless you buy a memory card.

So now I have a 4 month old device that should be updateable but can't be

Isn't it worth buying an SD card so you can still get the latest map (which is larger cos it has more detail/roads etc) or even use a zoned section?
    Hi
    @Thedj
    I use the Europe Map without 3D buildings, but I also spent around a Fiver on a Class10 16GB Micro SDHC card

Try.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/mydrive-connect-desktop-app-update-988212
    Also try.....
    The Map Clean Up Wizard
    9aa54e52-51bf-4756-be10-24ed3b895752.pnghttps://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-and-start-40-50-60-series-go-400-500-600-5000-6000-mydrive-176/new-maps-v946-released-for-go-40-50-60-series-go-400-500-600-5000-6000-976632

World Maps Info page.....
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/content/id/9/locale/en_gb/page/5

The Ga*m*n T&C's for Maps, Map Zones and Micro SDHC Cards are just the same

ATB YFM

Hi

I have a GO 825 live and that has Free lifetime Maps, there was a Tomtom promotion on in the UK when I purchased the device

Did you register for you Free lifetime maps when you purchased your Device ???

To contact Support.....
    https://se.support.tomtom.com/app/contact/locale/sv_SE/p/2718
    And scroll down

ATB YFM

Who's Online41

caluroso
caluroso
hostile_2
hostile_2
Mazda Mx-5 Sweden
Mazda Mx-5 Sweden
Niall
Niall