2»

Comments

• JiceJice Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    At least could you open your api to let people do what you don't
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,475
    Superusers
    Jice wrote:
    At least could you open your api to let people do what you don't
    Oh yes I can see that happening... not!!!
    As far as I'm aware no one has hacked the system yet, why would Tomtom want to make themselves more vulnerable

ATB YFM
    Sure you're right but that's the shitty spirit that made me use linux.
    What is their problem with this ?
    MyDrive Connect is free (as free beer, not free speech), we can't use it without a tomtom so what ?
    YamFazMan wrote:
    why would Tomtom want to make themselves more vulnerable

Where have you seen open code is more vulnerable ?
    Superusers
    Hi
    Back when Tomtom and Microsoft fell out over the FAT32 filing system, pirate Tomtom Maps and hacks were available everywhere....
    After launching the NAV3 devices and the secure updating over a network, Tomtom took back control
    The system is still secure and still working with NAV4/5 devices, I cant see them doing anything to weaken their position

ATB YFM
    What is the link between security and open code ?
    Many open source solutions are known to be more secure than their closed source equivalent.
    Anyway, when you choose to close your code, at least could you supply the tool for all your customers.
    TomTom has bad spirit. Many solutions are possible but they don't care about anything but money.
    Superusers
    Hi
    Use one of the latest NAV5 Wifi connected Tomtom PND... No computer required

ATB YFM
    Too late.
    And next won't be tomtom
  • TomTom4TomsDivaTomTom4TomsDiva Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    It seems the other linux posts are quite old. As I am thinking of buying a new Satnav I wanted to revive the linux question before I make my decision. So TomTom - will you be supporting linux as if not I will just not buy a TomTom.

If not can you explain why, especially as it should be pretty simple as after all your devices do run linux.

Thanks,
    Scott

I am running on my private laptop Linux and have to use Windows on my business laptop. I never had the chance to use Linux for MyDrive Connect although I tried in different ways. Lucky that my business laptop was able to connect and update my TomTom Rider via MyDrive Connect - UNTIL TODAY!
    Suddenly during the update using WiFi I had network disconnects caused by the USB connection with my TomTom. Changing to a wired connection results in the loss of all connectivity between laptop and TomTom. Funny that only paternoster operating systems are supported by TomTom - or is there meanwhile a chance to use a real operating system such as Linux?
    Thanks
    Tom