TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

MyDrive Connect for linux

scott_doylandscott_doyland Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 27 in MyDrive Connect
It seems the other linux posts are quite old. As I am thinking of buying a new Satnav I wanted to revive the linux question before I make my decision. So TomTom - will you be supporting linux as if not I will just not buy a TomTom.

If not can you explain why, especially as it should be pretty simple as after all your devices do run linux.

Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum!

This question has indeed been there since the beginning. Although Linux is gaining popularity I'm afraid the numbers are still quite far from warranting spending the required resources for developing for and supporting this platform.

So I'm afraid, I don't have any good news to tell you at this point and I don't want to raise expectations we might not be able to meet.

Cheers, Mikko
  • MaxAdamoMaxAdamo Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum!

This question has indeed been there since the beginning. Although Linux is gaining popularity I'm afraid the numbers are still quite far from warranting spending the required resources for developing for and supporting this platform.

So I'm afraid, I don't have any good news to tell you at this point and I don't want to raise expectations we might not be able to meet.

Cheers, Mikko

Sorry Mikko but I don't really get what you're saying. Apple OSX has between 4 and 7% of market share and Linux has 2%. Where do you see a difference? I see that they are both marginal OSs. Perhaps, in the countries where TomTom has a higher influence in the market, OSX has a higher market share as well, but I don't really see OSX as a platform where is worth to invest resources for developing.
    You can google for "Desktop OS market share 2016" and you'll see.
  • Webby65Webby65 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Are you guys for real? No software for linux. Come out of the 90s and embrace the 21st century. If updating my Tomtom is the only
    reason i have to deal with Windows then my next Satnav WILL be a Navman. See ya
  • Rene59Rene59 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am also pretty amazed that there is no app for linux users. Specially because ppl care more and more for safety and choose for linux instead of windows.
    Is a web based app maybe a solution?

grtz, Rene
  • start62start62 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I would add that since the Win gui is using Qt (good choice) it should be kind of trivial to port it to Linux
    Not that the gui does much beside nagging with some ads...

I would also REALLY appreciate if the updates where downloaded offline and then installed as fast as possible.
    I am updating my just purchased start 62 and I will be doing this once in my life, if it ends up taking more than half a day...

And yes, I am using a really old XP machine for this, surely not the new Windows 10 spyware :-)

My working machine is a Linux Kubuntu 14.04
  • Bobrm2Bobrm2 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Is there another forum, where Linux users can discuss GPS Navigation. This new TomTom VIA 1510, is on it's way back to Wally world (two of a kind)?
  • gandalfwzgandalfwz Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Totally agree. I just switched my pc over to Linux instead of going to windows10 and/or buying a new machine loaded with
    back doors and bugs and stuff I don't want. Really disappointed to find that TomTom does not support Linux. Was going to
    get a second Via for my wife's vehicle but I think now I'll look for something more Linux-friendly.
    Hi Gandalf,

Welcome to the Community!

Please, check out our latest GO Wi-Fi® devices. With the in-built Wi-Fi® modem of these devices you don't need computer for updating at all :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • SteveDukSteveDuk Posts: 21 [Apprentice Traveler]
    What a shame none of those are 'always connected' devices
    Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Community!

I posted the link above for Gandalf for the models available for him in the US. In Europe we also have Always connected devices and you can find them here.

Please, post back here if you have any further questions :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • MRQ1MRQ1 Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    It seems there is nothing to be done but abandon TomTom products...

We have recently abandoned Windows for Linux as iterations of it beyond XP have proved increasingly like 'ransom ware'.

Updating through MyDrive has always been stupidly-slow (no there is no issue with our 40M internet connection!) which indicates to me that the programmers behind it are completely incompetent. It's always been a poorly-designed and executed piece of nonsense!

Now we find there is no Linux support? No web based app? Seriously??? Then there is no sale!

The devices are otherwise good (we have around a dozen in total between family and work vehicles), but I'm afraid when we replace each one TomTom will just NOT be in the running.

And no, I couldn't care less about the latest Go WiFi devices. If you refuse or are incapable of providing proper support your existing devices competently (you never have!), then there can be no faith that something inherently more complex will be any better. - The simple process of being able to download map updates to a device is not a complex programming task; therefore the excuses made so far simply do not wash.
  • Cest meroCest mero Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I bought a Garmin for my TruckNav. Over 20million users on Ubuntu alone and they cut themselves off from this market I don't understand that kind of commercial blindness.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,227 Superusers
    Hi
    @Cest mero
    Please, check out the latest Tomtom devices, with the built-in Wi-Fi® modem these devices don't need computer for updating at all
    See... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > Thumb's Up Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Thanks for the comment and yes, when I was shopping for the TruckNav I saw these. You see this is the thing, I just resent being bullied. One can only assume that this myopia on the part of Tom Tom is born of an agreement with Microsoft. And no I will not revert to Windows, nor will I buy yet another TomTom which is not compatible with my computers, any more that I will buy anything else which is non compatible.
    This is where arrogance delivers a bullet to the foot. I now have now overcome the inertia which stops people changing to anything unfamiliar. I am therefore exceedingly unlikely ever to buy another Tom Tom so they have lost me permanently and potentially everyone I speak to on the subject. And how many are there like me? And how many do the research before purchase and so never arrive here to air their views. Two friends who visited me for holidays this year and both asked before setting out on the thousand odd mile trek about satnavs. I advised Garmin and they both arrived led by a Garmin. What more can I say. Oh yes, what happened to the Tom Tom I couldn't update? It was trashed.
  • MRQ2MRQ2 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well said Cest mero... From the outset the MyDrive application on Windows has been too slow to be really fit for purpose; updating a GO1000 can literally take overnight, even over a connection that is capable of streaming 4K HDR movies!! Neither a Web-based app nor a Linux port should be difficult! So - why should anyone trust them? Why would I buy a new TomTom device when, as an existing customer I have been so badly let down and abandoned already? - Doesn't matter what 'new models' they have!

Incidentally... When I logged in to read this message I was forced to set up another ID!!! And I see 'modbreak' against my original!!! So what's this? Censorship because I am a dissatisfied customer? It's all pretty cryptic! - As a departing customer I need to find out too how I stop further notifications from the forum as I only posted here to lodge a (futile) protest!
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,500 Superuser
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button :thumb_up:
    If someone answered your question? Answer yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
    I never said 'sinister'... I said cryptic; particularly as I had to re-make my profile under a new name!
  • Cest meroCest mero Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thanks for the back up there MRQ2. However much anyone wants it to be otherwise, there's no excuse for this appalling service, technical or otherwise. For information, I have worked with computers since they filled an enormous room, were programmed by punch cards and took all night to solve a simple question. Oh! That's a bit like a Tom Tom download only fifty years ago! I saw them evolve through the IBM era to BBCs then Amstrad PCWs and 1640s by which time I was teaching Infotec as it was then known. I watched Prestel and Compulink evolve into the Internet, ran 3 shops selling and repairing, advancing with the technology until I retired 9 years ago. So in case anyone was wondering I do know a little about computers and what runs them. And no Tom Tom, you have no excuse whatever.
    I completely agree Cest mero. I have a technical background myself - broadcast tech - and have been involved with computing since the mid-80s; broadcasting has been computer-intense since the 80s and I too taught at one time... I was a college lecturer in TV and Multimedia production for 12 years. - I know my way around a computer too and concur with your final assessment... TomTom have no excuse!
    [quote=Cest mero[Snip]Took all night to solve a simple question. Oh! That's a bit like a TomTom download [/quote]Quote from a recent post of mine....
    YamFazMan wrote:
    As a test, I have just deleted the Europe map from my GO 520
    The latest NAV5(Wifi) devices install updates on the fly
    My Fibre Broadband hardwired to router 55Mbps
    My Fibre Broadband over Wifi 30 Mbps
    Full Europe 7.18GB
    Device connected Hardwired and over USB with MyDriveConnect running in the background
    Full Europe Map installed, device ready to use 24 Mins 43 Seconds
    ATB YFM

Your hat and balloon are in the post... I have 43Mb at the wall; it takes about eight hours for my Go1000 unit to update. When I first got it we were on a 2Mb connection... I recall starting it at 8pm one night, had to leave it at home the following morning as it wasn't done, my wife told me it was still updating at noon! Similar story across all the various units we have.

- Really, I have no dog in this fight. A satnav is just a rather dull working tool that I need to operate efficiently; not something I want to spend half my life fretting over and posting about! The units themselves are fine, support and support software is a mess that isn't fit for purpose.

That's all, over and out!
    MRQ2 wrote:
    I have 43Mb at the wall; it takes about eight hours for my Go1000 unit to update. When I first got it we were on a 2Mb connection... I recall starting it at 8 pm one night, had to leave it at home the following morning as it wasn't done, my wife told me it was still updating at noon! Similar story across all the various units we have
    The slowest Tomtom device to update for me, is my GO 5000 the Full Europe map, around 55 minutes... I use an old nothing special Dell Vostro 220 running Win10 32bit, I rarely have a problem With MyDrive Connect, so I guess having an update of 8 hours + there must be something conflicting or radically wrong with your setup

ATB YFM

And no, I couldn't care less about the latest Go WiFi devices. If you refuse or are incapable of providing proper support your existing devices competently (you never have!), then there can be no faith that something inherently more complex will be any better.
    I'm really struggling with the logic on this. You say the devices are otherwise good, your main gripe being that there's no Linux support.

The proposed solution is buying the latest Go device, which takes the operating system of the computer out of the equation entirely - by removing any requirement for it. Yet despite TomTom making the move to make updates completely platform agnostic, and thereby permanently removing your main gripe with it, you're still dismissing it.

Or have I missed something? Genuine question.
    Factually, we can reproduce the speed problem across all of our dozen or so units... And across numerous different PCs running all versions of Windows from XP to 10. - The common denominator is the TomTom software. What's more, I find other people here - with good levels of technical knowledge - have exactly the same problem.

Different SatNav units, different computers, different OSs , different internet connections - possibly even different countries - same rotten update software!

Logically, the problem's not 'something conflicting or radically wrong with my setup' - or for that matter anyone else's!

"I'm really struggling with the logic on this. You say the devices are otherwise good, your main gripe being that there's no Linux support.

The proposed solution is buying the latest Go device, "

The proposed 'solution' is spending more of my hard-earned money with a manufacturer that has already failed to produce update software that was ever fit for purpose - and to add insult to injury has failed or refused, over a period of many years to support a common operating system, and compounds all of that by failing or refusing to take the logical - and simple - step of mitigating these problems by developing a web-based app that would work cross-platform...

As things stand, we have to keep two spare units at the office to provide 'cover' for those occasions where somebody's allocated unit is 'stuck' updating! - When people travel to another part of the country we warn them NOT to attempt to update their units at heir hotel... Because if it gets 'stuck' they're stuffed!

The thing that is causing these units to become 'unfit for service' is that updating the maps on them is less practical than it ought to be, and it will eventually become (in a practical sense) impossible.

As I say, a SatNav to me is just a slightly-boring appliance that I need to do its job as designed and work for a long time.

What I don't need is things that don't work properly or that are caused to 'die' because of lack of proper support - particularly when they were sold to me on the promise of 'lifelong updates'; I feel 'conned' by TomTom... From that grows a position of no confidence in them.

...So, I can have no confidence in their new units - I have no reason to believe they too won't have some inherent flaw or built-in obsolescence as a 'feature'. I have no reason to believe TomTom's sales promises. No reason to assume the software/firmware on the new devices will be any more competently put together than what I already have. And for that reason wouldn't consider buying one, let alone spending thousands of pounds buying a dozen of them!

Furthermore I actually have a life... And better things to spend my time on than posting hundreds or even thousands of messages agonising about these things. I see nothing of merit in being an advocate for a faceless corporation that obviously doesn't give two-hoots for people once they've extracted their cash. So the logic is, I'm taking my money and spending it elsewhere.

At this stage I shouldn't even be considering replacing all our SatNav units... But, seeing as I do, and given the reasons why, it's just not possible to make a business case for sticking with TomTom.
  • JiceJice Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    No linux support oO
    Amazing.
    Just saying that we are not worth the effort is some kind of insulting.
    Will you reimbourse me if i send you your product back because you don't give me the service you should ? Certainly not. This is some kind of robbery.

If you're too bad to write code that compile on OS X and linux (which are very close), why don't you use java ? Is that so complicated ?
    2%, that's only thousands of people just in France.