Diving with dive cover — TomTom Community

Diving with dive cover

Mick7020Mick7020 Posts: 41 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
Hi all

Been using my bandit for a few months now. Using it for paragliding and it's great.

But just dived with it to around 25 meters.

The picture was so green it was not usable

Anyone got the same problem or any solutions

Comments

• gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi there !

Color cast when filming underwater is not an issue with the camera but with the water ! :-) most editing software would have a feature that allow you to do color correction.
    Otherwise you can find colored filters that allow you to correct this issue in camera, but you ll need a bunch of different ones as well as make up a filter holder for the bandit...
  • Mick7020Mick7020 Posts: 41 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    my post should have conveyed my full displeasure at the cameras use under water so ill re do my post

when i was looking for a camera i was not aware that you needed software filters etc if diving as on one of the videos i watched a tom-tom boss sit on a sofa on a video and say that the camera was useable "out of the box"to 40m"
    no where in the manual that i have does it say that we will need filters, housings, or additional software (premier editing software at that) to edit our videos

so i have bought there top of the range pack with everything in it and i will need to buy loads more or just go back to my GO PRO

thats probably what I'm going to do

wind noise is another issue, i also paraglide and speeds can range from 0-50mph if facing into wind the noise is horrendous, i know you will all say use the furry hood, but i didn't get one in my pack, i also didn't get a tether in the box and there is a tether mount point on the camera.
    believe it or not but there is not any camera in the market that will automatically compensate for color under water, that's why you have to compensate with colored filters or software. basically the idea is that water absorbs wavelengths, and the deeper you go, the more colors will disappear. also, there are organisms in suspension in the water that will give water a different hue (algaes, mud...). Noticed how when you take a picture at sunset the image will appear orange ? when you snap a shot under a neon light, you'll end up with a green picture ? same issue underwater, but even more complex.

see this article for more info on that matter (just picked because it was top of the list in google...)
    http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/underwater-photography-lighting-fundamentals

regarding wind issues, I just use the dive lens cover most of the time. the wind furry thing is good when I want to capture sounds at low speed. You can call customer support, they'll probably send you one at no cost.
  • skycruiserNLskycruiserNL Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have been diving with the Bandit for first time. You can set a 'underwater' filter when you connect the Bandit with your app first. On the app I picked the filter.

The result is here:
    [video]

Notice the colours above the water, and how good the colours are underwater! There has not been editing on the video/colours.

@TomTom: when will you enable a setting on the camera to switch to 'underwater mode'? That would be great in an example as in my video, to have natural colours above and under water level. And easy to switch these setting during the action ... Would that be possible to do?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi skycruiserNL, great video! We are working on it, I can't say much more than that at the moment but expect to see some big improvements in this area in future software updates.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

The latest software brought some improvements to underwater shooting :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • AutomanAutoman Posts: 19 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    There now is an "Action Camera" that is supposed to adjust the white balance with depth and also records your current depth with the video (available with Black or Green body). I shall be trying this next month in the Red Sea with my Bandit.

Another action camera, made by another vendor actually now has a manual white balance option which can be set underwater with a white dive slate. This so far has yielded my best underwater colours (but with the worse sound).

Some ideas for the Bandit 2017 model...

For the ultimate results scuba diving a real camera in a waterproof case is the best if you want real quality video or stills with the correct colours.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    We already added a diving mode that automatically adjusts the intensity of the red filter depending on depth, see the post here: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-bandit-action-camera-477/new-software-v157500-for-the-tomtom-bandit-available-for-download-1004444

[video]