Spark- Audiobooks, Podcasts ? — TomTom Community

Spark- Audiobooks, Podcasts ?

mversionmversion Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
Hey guys,
I have the Cardio + Music on pre-order from my local store (in Australia) and excited about it.
Can someone shed any light on whether you are able to load audiobooks and podcasts?
Do you have to create folders for each book or playlists?
And the crucial question: Does it have the ability to resume playback from the spot you left?

I have been using a MotoActv to listen to audiobooks and I love the simplicity of simply pressing play and it will just resume from the last playing position.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,098 Superusers
    mversion wrote:
    Hey guys,
    I have the Cardio + Music on pre-order from my local store (in Australia) and excited about it.
    Can someone shed any light on whether you are able to load audiobooks and podcasts?
    Do you have to create folders for each book or playlists?
    And the crucial question: Does it have the ability to resume playback from the spot you left?

I have been using a MotoActv to listen to audiobooks and I love the simplicity of simply pressing play and it will just resume from the last playing position.

Yes you can listen to audiobooks and podcasts, just save them into a playlist and you are fine. I download my podcasts through iTunes, save them into a playlist, sort them how I please and then upload them to the watch. Same for audiobooks. Unfortunately it does not remember where you last left off. I suppose if you left the headphones on and paired it would stay paused, as long as the headphones don't shut off while charging, but once you shut off the headphones it stops the playback and loses its place. Hopefully this is something they will add in the future.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • mversionmversion Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    The lack of resuming is going to be a massive headache as generally my audiobooks are split into hour long files. Having to remember file AND position is going to hurt!
    Hopefully, this is something that can be considered as a software update.

The MotoActv implemented this pretty well. It had a Podcast folder where you could create subfolders that could be your individual podcast or Audiobooks, and it would resume playback on each folder independently from the others. It would also mark files as played and in progress.
    mversion wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    The lack of resuming is going to be a massive headache as generally my audiobooks are split into hour long files. Having to remember file AND position is going to hurt!
    Hopefully, this is something that can be considered as a software update.

The MotoActv implemented this pretty well. It had a Podcast folder where you could create subfolders that could be your individual podcast or Audiobooks, and it would resume playback on each folder independently from the others. It would also mark files as played and in progress.

The Spark uses playlists, which work similarly to the folders. You can create up to 10 playlists with any number of podcasts or audiobooks or chapters of audiobooks them and select them that way. I keep my watch and my phone synced with the same playlists so when I am done with a run it is not too hard to queue up to the same place in the podcast and continue from there. That would not really be possible with the watch as you can not fast forward within a file. You can skip to the next one but there is no way to fast forward, which is more of a problem than I considered now that I think about it. If it can't remember where you are and you can't fast forward you would have to listen to the entire thing over again. Not so bad if you are 5 minutes in, but a real pain if you are 50. Hopefully this will be remedied in an update.
    Oooh... this pretty much makes the Spark useless for continuous listening then. I couldn't imagine keeping my BT headphones always on and constantly paired. I might have to continue carrying the MotoActv with me. But then I'll lose the voice coaching and it defeats the whole carry as little devices with you thing I was trying to go for.

Is there somewhere we can make feature requests?
  • FuryaanFuryaan Posts: 14 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I must say this is the ONLY reason I haven't ordered the Spark yet. It seems horrible that you need to listen to an entire chapter all over again when you were close to the end of it. Also, some people seem to report it plays in 'shuffle mode' only. Does this mean it won't even play the chapters in the right order if I make a playlist of chapters?
    Yeah, I think I might end up cancelling my pre-order. I hardly ever listen to music, exclusively audiobooks and podcasts, but the current implementation makes it absolutely useless. Major oversights in that department! I'm sure these are all easily implemented via software updates but reading through their history of listening to customer feedback, it looks like the chances are low.

Also what's the point of creating playlists if it is only going to play in shuffle mode? That seems to be silly.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,388 Community Manager
    You need to go into the playlist menu (either up from the music player or down from the pause/linking screen) and when you select a playlist and hit right you can select normal or shuffle playback. The only time you won't see this is if you're not using a playlist (ie you're on all music).
    Thank you for your answer. So the shuffle-thing is not an issue.

Any insight on resuming playback where it stopped the previous time? Is this on the to-do list for a future software update?
    Furyaan wrote:
    Any insight on resuming playback where it stopped the previous time? Is this on the to-do list for a future software update?
    Sorry, that's something I cannot comment on.
    Jürgen wrote:

Is there somewhere we can make a feature request? A UserVoice forum or something perhaps?

I know the majority are probably OK with playing back just music, but this is a serious deal breaker for us who have committed to long form audio! And in all seriousness, you'd think it would be a very easy implementation. You just need a marker for each playlist, really.
    mversion wrote:
    Jürgen wrote:

Is there somewhere we can make a feature request? A UserVoice forum or something perhaps?

I know the majority are probably OK with playing back just music, but this is a serious deal breaker for us who have committed to long form audio! And in all seriousness, you'd think it would be a very easy implementation. You just need a marker for each playlist, really.
    You've already done that by posting it here. Any feedback is monitored, no matter which channel it comes in. :)
    Jürgen wrote:
    You've already done that by posting it here. Any feedback is monitored, no matter which channel it comes in. :)

So really, what you are saying is that if I can become Andy Dufresne from Shawshank Redemption and post on here in enough frequency we might get what we want eventually. Gotcha :)
  • gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    Let me help on this, Andy ;) I too really wish we had an option to resume playing from last position. Also : i m tired to always hearing the same track each time i pair my headset.
    Thanks, Red. I knew I could always rely on you :)
    mversion wrote:
    Jürgen wrote:

So really, what you are saying is that if I can become Andy Dufresne from Shawshank Redemption and post on here in enough frequency we might get what we want eventually. Gotcha :)

I don't think this is an issue that needs to have a certain amount of demand as it is a problem with the basic functionality of the watch. This is not a want it is a must have so they really need to address it. This is another of those head scratchers where you have to ask if anyone actually used the watch when they were programming it, otherwise how did it end up this poorly implemented.

Andy: Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Red: Same old thing, different day
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    mversion wrote:
    Jürgen wrote:

I don't think this is an issue that needs to have a certain amount of demand as it is a problem with the basic functionality of the watch. This is not a want it is a must have so they really need to address it. This is another of those head scratchers where you have to ask if anyone actually used the watch when they were programming it, otherwise how did it end up this poorly implemented.

Andy: Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Red: Same old thing, different day

I completely agree and find it highly disturbing they won't tell us they will provide a fix in the future. This is basic functionality, not a crazy request like 'please make the HR monitor work while swimming'. This is a plain basic music player functionality, which is missing. If they can't fix something as simple as this, I can guarantee you a lot of people will be regretting their purchase.
  • Chaser5130Chaser5130 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    I saved my podcasts in iTunes and then created a playlist with them. When I sync the playlist to my watch it only shows .1 GB for 2hrs of content and when I start listening there is nothing there on my watch no counter movement even though it says the name of the playlist.

Help!
    Do what I did. Completely ignore syncing with iTunes. Just hook up the watch to your computer. Manually copy and paste your tracks and create/edit the playlist.
    Just reference the existing folder/playlist structure in there.

Works a treat. But, yeah, I still have to remember which track I was on on my previous run. And I still have to manually edit my audio files and create hundreds of little mp3 files.
  • Chaser5130Chaser5130 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    I can see in the finder on my mac that the files are copied to the Spark during the sync. It shows on the device that there are three songs (podcasts) but they don't play.
    Without the correct playlist, even if the files are there, it won't play. Like I said, just manually copy the default playlist and edit the contents using any text editor to reflect where your actual files are.
  • dayssedaysse Posts: 31 [Master Explorer]
    Justing posting to request the "continue from previous location" podcast/audiobook function. A separate folder for podcasts where playback resumes without shuffle would be simple enough. I prefer listening to books when I run and ride.
  • benmuresanbenmuresan Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'd like to add that the only reason I bought this watch (which I love) is so that I can listen to audiobooks while I run. Without the ability to start off where I finished when I last listened, I'm very disappointed in the Spark for now. I'm sure that this will be addressed in a future update as this is a basic feature of being able to play audio files. Please let me and everyone else on this forum know how long we need to wait for this to happen. Thanks!
  • sirhoffsirhoff Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm glad I found this post. It has halted me from purchasing a Spark. I too exclusively listen to audiobooks. From my research the Spark was the only promising option. I'll have to stick to my smart phone until there's a better option or the Spark changes the playback function.

Is there a way to be notified if updates are made?
    sirhoff wrote:
    I'm glad I found this post. It has halted me from purchasing a Spark. I too exclusively listen to audiobooks. From my research the Spark was the only promising option. I'll have to stick to my smart phone until there's a better option or the Spark changes the playback function.

Is there a way to be notified if updates are made?

You can go to this link to see what the latest updates are for the watch. The article is updated whenever they release a firmware update.

https://us.support.tomtom.com/app/release_notes/type/watch2015?locale=en_us&product_id=D5070000
  • JMikeJMike Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I'm going to cast my vote for this one. I'd really like the "remember playback position" option available for listening to podcasts or audiobooks (which I do most of the time while running).

PLZ?!? :cool:
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0