Pedometer function (step counter) highly inaccurate - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Pedometer function (step counter) highly inaccurate

Comments

• g3rmanyg3rmany Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I've given up using it as a daily watch, which is hugely frustrating, I just wear it to the gym now. I found the heart rate monitor to be massively different to my Fitbit - I don't know which one to trust but I've just accepted I have a nice new running watch with music and extra activities options. Massively disappointed with tomtom tho and won't be recommending them to others
  • wideloadwideload Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Factory Reset did not help. Yeah, if anything I'd rather just save battery and be able to turn off activity tracking. If it's going to report rubbish then why have it on?
  • NH1985NH1985 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've had the watch for just over a week now, and every day while not doing much walking at the office I've amassed over 10,000 steps. Yesterday, while doing a day of housework and chores I somehow got up to 24,000 steps! Very disappointing for an otherwise a very good (but expensive) product. Considering the thread goes back for well over a year, I would have thought that the problem would have been resolved in someway.
  • kenyaonekenyaone Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here. Thats how i found this page. I was searching on google for whether the tomtom has a problem with tracking steps. Mine are way too high. Ive only been using samsung smartwatches but recently got the Tom Tom, ive used both together but the tomtom is noticeably higher when i run and when i walk. For instance the samsung Gear S3 would show 17 kms after a run while the tomtom would be on 21kms???
  • LDQLDQ Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem. After 2h I've over 2700 steps. I feel very disappointed because cheap Mi Band is working better.
    Tom Tom can you explain why this is happening?
  • hooonzahooonza Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Kenyaone,
    I don´t understand why you mix up together number of steps and distance while running. If you using GPS for running then the distance should be the same all the time. Pedometer alone does not measure distance (did you enter the length of your step inside the watch? while running, while walking, while goin up/down the stairs... the step has always different distance....). It just counts steps (or similar movement of your hand).
    I wouldnt use it for measuring my distance ever... Use GPS and then it is precise. :)
    Cheers, Jan
  • jmalvesjrjmalvesjr Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problem! It is ridiculous for a watch of EUR250
  • jmalvesjrjmalvesjr Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I think TT should develop a software update to fix it or make a recall if the way the accelerometer works. It is just u acceptable.
  • ivladoffivladoff Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This will never happen. They refuse to admit the problem, so I do not believe they are trying to fix it.

Just don't buy TT watch next time. This is what I will do.
  • Just CuriousJust Curious Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Ok, to pour more noise into the hole, I've had my Adventurer for 2 days ($599 NZD - your welcome). Noticed steps are grossly inaccurate when NOT stepping. Found this thread - decided to waste a few minutes like everyone else. IF ANYONE FROM TOMTOM EVER READS THIS. I am a 'technology person' can someone who is actually and engineer there please explain what the physical / technical limitations of the accelerometer are that preclude tuning out spurious arm movements through an algorithm? For example - I have a GPS, if you were to 'ping' the geolocator after every 10 'steps' and find I had not moved an inch, you might want to 'trim' the step count by say at least 80-90% This would have the effect of reducing the innacurracy whilst sedantry (the actual issue) by a large factor. How about some more smarts around cadence, is the 'swing' period less than 1 second or more than 3 seconds and non-repeating more than 3 itterations - I'M PROBABLY NOT WALKING - cache 3 'hits' and store or discard based on the test. Surely there must be some mildly intelligent and creative people in your firmware design team. If there are some real technical issues, release the challenges to your community - we are motivated to find a solution and help you develop your product - use us. Let users 'tune' a sensitivity algorythym to their taste (say 1 - 5), offset your risk and place it on us - everyone wins. There are so many possible solutions to this issue - come on guys. Otherwise - great product, so stop letting this issue ruin the good work.
  • MandyLMandyL Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Received my Spark two days ago, and like others, am finding the pedometer wildly inaccurate. Please TomTom can you let us know if you can fix this? Is it a problem on all Sparks or have a few dodgy ones left the factory?
  • elboelbo Posts: 49 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Can someone explain what this fascination is with pedometer accuracy?

It's around your wrist, so it will never accurate count your steps. And then again, why would you want to know your steps? To get the reward for 10.000 steps in 1 day? It's a sportswatch, so I presume most people do exercise regularly and getting 10.000 steps is not a scientifically backed goal. Doing regularly exercise is, but most people who use a sportwatch will do that.

So the only reason I can think to complain, is there is a pedometer on it, so it should work as advertised. I couldn't care less, to be honest. The only reason I have turned on the steps goal is that it is the only way to turn on 24/7 heartratemonitor. And the only reason I want the 24/7 heartratemonitor is it collects my rest heartrate, which is usefull to decide is you train hard enough (or to hard).

Just being curious.
    It's not a fascination, but I do feel that if a manufacturer adds a function then that function should work adequately. I was just asking if this was an anomaly on some watches or if it is a known problem on all watches. I don't need it to be accurate, and understand why it isn't (although other manufacturers manage it), but the figures it records are way out.
  • elboelbo Posts: 49 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Fair enough. Many times I pass the 10000 steps mark when I'm chopping unions for diner. It's got noting to do with step counting. If there were an other methode to turn on 24/7 heartrate monitor without the stepcounting goal I would use it.

But I agree: if a company advertises a feature, it should work properly.
    Ha ha, that's a lot of onions!! I managed 5000 steps whilst driving my bouncy 24 year old car with no suspension :)
  • moeskoetiemoeskoetie Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    i also bought a spark 3 this week, and i have a Garmin sportswatch. the Garmin give me 7500 steps, and the spark give me 10400 steps.
    so its useless. i send it back. not good at all.
  • kessakessa Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just bought a Spark 3. Had it on an hour whilst sat on the sofa. It recorded 87 steps with the 1st hour. Over 333 steps within 2 hours.... all whilst sat on the sofa.

This fitness lark is easier than I thought lol

Seriously though, given this issue has been around for a while it would be great if TomTom could roll out a fix
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,169
    Superusers
    There is nothing to fix, this is the nature of all step trackers. The activity tracker is detecting steps based on movement and incidental movement of your arm will be enough to trigger steps. It is not an exact science, it is meant to be directional guidance. For every extra step it picks up from brushing your teeth, or moving your arms while talking or driving, it is missing steps when you are walking pushing a cart or walking with your hands in your pockets. Again, it is meant to give you a directional view if you are active enough, not an exact count. I personally find it directionally accurate, in that during a day I am fairly active it is picking up more steps than on sedentary days. If it is off by a few hundred or a thousand steps I am not concerned, if I am several thousand short it means I need to get up and move around more.
    Re "There is nothing to fix"

Respectfully, I disagree. Every technology can be improved.

I *completely agree* that they shouldn't be relied on to be 100% accurate, and equally I do agree with your point that there will be some offset so that also is a valid point..... but there's a difference between a small difference and a wildly off count.

During a 1h 30 film it claimed I'd done well over 300 steps ....whilst being sat on the sofa.

If it was say 30 steps, fine... but 300 is way off. That implies my arm was having some kind of fit!

One example on this forum showed (NB: figures may be slightly off as I'm typing this from memory) the user's TomTom showed over 10,000 steps whilst their Garmin showed nearer 7,500

That's a 33.33% discrepancy.

That % is similar to my data today which is already 30% more than what my iPhone says and the day isn't over so that's likely to increase.

So I wouldn't agree there's nothing to fix. Every technology can always be enhanced & improved, and there's certainly scope to improve the accuracy of the step counter. Saying there isn't is just a lazy answer.
    I don't think I can edit my post and realise my last sentence may come across rude/abrupt so firstly, apologies for that.

What I meant is that many people often say there isn't a fix, when in fact what they really mean is either:
    a) they don't know how to fix something or
    b) they can't be bothered

... so the comment was more aimed at that view, rather than you as an individual.

Anyway, to demonstrate the point I've already sent some info to TomTom on how to update the algorithm to make it more accurate & reduce false positives.

The big question is... will they actually do anything with it!? :-)
    Superusers
    Do you want the realistic answer? That is no they will do nothing with your algorithm information and probably nothing to change it in general. The nothing to fix was more along the lines of that they do not likely think it is a big enough issue to dedicate the resources to do anything about it. Most people are fine with it, so a few "outliers' are not going to warrant the resources.
    So just to follow on from my last post, I was surprised to see the following (attached) data captured by my watch...

Why surprised? Well... because it's been sat on the bedside shelf all day and hasn't been worn at all, yet seems to have somehow clocked up 0.65 miles!

Would love an official answer from someone within TomTom to explain pls.
    Superusers
    You will not get an official answer from TT here, this is a user forum. You need to call Customer Support to talk to TT directly.
  • MauricioYuMauricioYu Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I’m considering to return my Runner 3. The discrepancy in this measurement is unacceptable.
    The Band I received for free when I bought a Sony Xperia Z3 way ago, is more accurate in the steps counting and sleep measurement.
  • Wally8619Wally8619 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am also having the same issue, I had clocked 13 steps this morning by picking up my Spark 3 from the bedside table. Likewise "achieving" 10,000 steps and clocking fully 12,000 yesterday where my Iphone recorded 5023.

Although I didn't buy the spark 3 for it's daily step tracking, it is very disappointing, it does make me wonder how accurate the Running/Cycling functions are as I haven't yet tried them.

The "calories" tracker is also churning rather suspect figures. I am a PostGrad Uni student, so I spend my day on my backside in lectures, so i'm not sure how i'm "burning" 2300 calories walking between lectures and handwriting notes.

But yes, the inaccuracy is disappointing, would also hope this is fixed soon as clearly from this thread it isn't a recent issue.