Pedometer function (step counter) highly inaccurate - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Pedometer function (step counter) highly inaccurate

Comments

• JIMJAMJAYJIMJAMJAY Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Could anyone tell me when the Steps reset does it count today from midnight to midnight? I have done very little walking today but at midday am recording 10,000 steps ! Unless I am sleepwalking for miles this seems very high.....
  • onusopusonusopus Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Im facing the same problem. I just got my watch, a week back. I was sleeping and I got up to see 750 steps and 0.5 miles covered in the day. I walked around 150 steps and it showed a 450 odd steps. I m sitting at my desk and it added 100 steps to the count. This entire week, i have not walked much. And it shows i have walked around 2 miles daily. No way this is correct.

Will this be fixeD? This is highly disappointing. :(
  • Ro-OnRo-On Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have my new TomTom Spark GPS+Cardio+ music for a week and have encountered the following problem: this morning just awoke (And every morning day of this Last week) The counter steps it was show already 200 Step. When i went go To sleep Last night , (after midnight) The counter show correctly 0 steps . Does it work with gps as counter steps or only with accelerometer? When i walking the measure of steps it was correct; when i drive with my car the vibration of the car, not create problem or false step. Firmware 1.20. Please fix this problem.
  • DmdacostaDmdacosta Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Whats the point of putting a step function in a watch if its totally useless Tom Tom? Mine records while im driving.... TT Spark Cardio/Music Pleasee sort this out.. very unhappy
  • onusopusonusopus Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    @MikkoK and other staffs of TomTom, Please ! Will the step count be fixed ?
    It is totally making the device not usable, most of the day !
    Im beginning to doubt the other calculations as well..
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback regarding step count!

I've logged it to be reported to the product team. For troubleshooting advise, I'd recommend you to contact Customer Service.

Cheers, Mikko
  • thomasstephthomassteph Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I have had my watch about a month. I have noticed it loses laps when swimming. Sometimes it records my sleep sometimes it doesn't. And yes, the steps are very high. All I ever see in these forums is MikkoK saying "we are aware and we are working on it." Even when complaints have been happening for months to years. This is not encouraging. This really seems like all stuff that software updates could fix, but TomTom sure doesn't seem interested in changing it.
  • blienblien Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I just got my Spark Music watch. I'm wearing my fitbit at the same time to compare steps. My watch indicates I have more than 2000 more steps than my fitbit. They are on the same arm, and I've worn them both all day.
    This is ridiculous.
  • LDJLDJ Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am really disappointed as well. The watch step counter is horrible. Its more than 2000 steps off. I work in an office and hardly walk around and i have already got more than 5000 steps. this is physically not possible. I really hope that the watch will be improved, otherwise the price is not worth what you get....
  • sorosz26.2sorosz26.2 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I bought this watch mostly for the fact that it can track my running distance and hold music therefore eliminating the need to carry a bulky phone. but not sure if its worth it considering how inaccurate the pedometer is.
  • ASmugDillASmugDill Posts: 550 [Apprentice Traveler]
    sorosz26.2 wrote:
    but not sure if its worth it considering how inaccurate the pedometer is.
    For GPS-tracked running outdoors, step counting has nothing to do with either tracking your running distance or holding music, which are for what you bought the TomTom Spark Music (or Cardio+Music), right? There aren't many other options on the market that does those two things, without having step counters and are cheaper for it anyway.

That said, I do think it's disappointing how grossly inaccurate the step counting on the TomTom Spark is, compared to other devices my girlfriend and I are using.
  • CiccioPasticcioCiccioPasticcio Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I tried my Spark Cardio for two days and then bring back to the shop. Very disappointed with the overestimated steps, more than 200 at wake up is really impossible. After an afternoon sleep the watch says 0:00 sleep.
  • kt.alvrzkt.alvrz Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It seems that they haven't gotten this issue resolved? Posts are from 6 months ago and i just received my watch yesterday. Same problem. I make over 150 steps in the shower.

Not going to bother resetting my watch since people are saying it's not working.

I read so many good reviews about this watch but now that I got it - not impressed.
  • MammaKMammaK Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Just like to add my own anecdote on the "Arm Movement Tracker" - beware of rock concerts!!! I went to see Muse 2 weeks ago and was rather enthusiastically drumming away (as you do) when my watch buzzed to let me know I'd reached my step goal. My day had, unusually, been rather sedentary up to that moment so it was definitely the arm movements that were counted.

Personally I look at the step counter only as a guideline/notivator to get moving: my main reason for going with the Spark Cardio+Music was to run without a phone or hr chest strap.

All was fine until the last update 1.3.27 since which time the watch and my Plantronics BT headphones haven't communicated
  • icemacicemac Posts: 199 [Legendary Explorer]
    hello everyone :)

I bought TomTom Runner 2 becouse I have TomTom Runner. I was thinking that new watch will be better .. I it is really better but the step counter is highly inaccurate. I have made 20-40 steps and watch counts .. over 100 steps. With this differences I had to disable this function.

thanks for information, maybe new software fix that ...

Regarda
    Maciek
  • GuiiDCGuiiDC Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well, I've been having problems with it as well, and I've been only wearing it for 6-7hrs

While my phone shows 3529 steps (and I was caring it during all time, to measure clock's accuracy) my Runner 2 shows 4170 steps. Apparently I've been getting steps while I was typing.

Kinda disappointed with that.
  • marcosqqmarcosqq Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    First at all, my apologises for my bad english. I´m a brazilian guy and i´m still learning your language. But, the point here is that I bought the TomTom runner 2 based on good reviews that I saw on internet. But, as everyone else, I´m very very frustrated with the pedometer tool. It doesn´t work, simply like that. While I´m writing here it´s counting around 100 steps!!! And the most incredible is that this problem is being pointed by users since more than one year, and till now there´s not a correction firmware! What happen? It´s impossible to belive that the problem is so hard to fix, because others watches, like garmin, work very well with pedometer.

Please, I made a big money-sacrifice to buy this watch. For we, brazilians, this device is very expensive. I would love to see this device working perfectly.

If there´s something that I need to do for the watch start working, Please let me know.

thank you
  • tt_gttt_gt Posts: 260 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Wrist based pedometers will always have a propensity to count false steps when moving your hands in any kind of rhythmic movement (eg brushing teeth, typing). The TomTom devices do their best to discount such steps, but this is never going to be 100% successful.

In my personal experience the TomTom wrist based pedometers out-perform other wrist-based devices on the market, but other people may have different opinions. If you wanted a very high accuracy for a pedometer, I'd suggest using a footpod, or even a waste mounted pedometer, as a more accurate alternative to a wrist based one.

As an indicator of how active you have been from day-to-day, week-to-week, I find a wrist based pedometer is a good tool.
  • taniayeowtaniayeow Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I cannot believe that this issue isn't sorted... I was so excited when I bought tomtom spark cadio and music watch on sunday 27 nov 2016. But very disappointed when i start using it on weds 29 nov 2016... as above I also hv problem in the watch just counting random steps. U would hAve thought a running watch b less sensitive! I wish I did my research and this website 1st. My striiv was way better, n way cheaper! I have send an email to tomtom, I'm hoping to hear what they will say, but not getting my hopes up, as I work in a customer service job as well...
    May have bought a fit bit charger 2 instead... which was $10 cheaper. Lesson learned!
  • Tiny BuggyTiny Buggy Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Has this problem fixed yet? I got my watch this past Saturday and noticed the discrepancy with my cell phone.

It seems counted okay when I walked to my office. just counted too many when I am not actually walking.

Thanks alot.
    Jerry
  • g3rmanyg3rmany Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Just bought one to replace my Fitbit hr - what a disappointment as a tracker. In 2 days I have noticed the huge inaccuracies with the sleep (around a 40 min difference) and steps (tomtom counted almost 10,000 steps MORE than my Fitbit today). The Fitbit has a function to choose dominant/non dominant wrist and reduce the sensitivity, so there's no reason why tomtom couldn't have fixed this, especially as it's clearly an issue that's been around a while. The majority of the trackers have wrist activated tracking so it's no excuse for this not to work as other manufacturers can manage it. I now have an expensive watch that isn't doing what I paid out for it to do. Won't bother investing in the new tomtom touch in that case (which i had been waiting for a response from customer services about anyway - they didn't reply). Am disappointed that the things tomtom fall down on aren't being addressed at all because although I love their products they don't inspire me to recommend them to people
  • Nicky the KidNicky the Kid Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've had exactly the same problems as previously mentioned. My wife bought this for me as a gift for me to use whilst running and cycling. We read a lot of decent reviews with regard to the GPS function, heart rate monitor and also liked the fact you could play music through it. For these functions it does work brilliantly and I'm very happy. But........the step counter.

What the hell TomTom?!

I got this on Christmas day and so obviously grabbed it out of the box, chucked it on, kissed my wife, said thank you and enjoyed our Christmas. When I looked at the step count at the end of the day 19500! I know I made a few extra trips to the kitchen that day but that's ridiculous. I thought it must just a be a setting that I needed to configure correctly, but after reading this and similar threads it appears not.

It's been the same every day since. I've even compared using my Samsung Galaxy S6 and my wifes Fitbit. Both devices recorded nearly 10000 steps less than the runner 2 (runner 2 recorded 22000, the other 2 recorded 12000-13000), I know step counters aren't really accurate they're just an indication blah blah blah, but this level of inaccuracy is on another level. The step counter is basically useless. For me it isn't a deal breaker as I got it to use for training, running, cycling and possibly swimming (hence why I didn't actually research the step counter side if it). For these activities it does exactly what I want, great. But it's very annoying to have a whole part of the watch that doesn't work as it should. These watches cost a lot of money and I would be gutted if one of the main features I bought it for was the step counter.
    The excuses I've read from TomTom are pathetic. Fitbit and a whole other selection of wrist based pedometers (some extremely cheap) work fine, why can't a market leader such as TomTom get it right? Ok, if you've made a mistake with how you've designed it just admit it. Don't just fob people off with generic replies such as 'Thanks, we are working on the problem' when clearly you are not, or 'Pedometers are just an indication' when we can all accept 1000 maybe 2000 step discrepancies but 50% inaccuracies? That's just plain crap.
  • ParryHotterParryHotter Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello,

I have the same problems with counting steps.
    I got TomTom Runner 3 as a Christmas gift and my wife got TomTom Touch. It seems that Runner 3 is counting much more steps than other devices. Today i was playing tennis with a friend who has a garmin watch. My Runner 3 count 10500 steps during 1,5 hour, his watch only 5000 steps.

Any advice ??
    Will be ever fix ??

Thx
  • cpsullycpsully Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It has now been over a year since this discussion forum was started. I just bought another Spark in the hopes this problem improved (I returned the first version because I couldn't handle the wild inaccuracies of the watch). If this was an inherent problem with devices worn on the wrist, why are other products so much more accurate? It can't even get me within the ballpark! I literally just set it up, walked to the kitchen and back and am being told I walked 354 steps (the last 150 were while typing). I don't see the point of a factory reset since I just updated it during the setup process. Have there been any developments? Any new suggestions? I'd hate to return it again because it is within my price range and I love that it has local storage for music so I can leave without my phone. But if it doesn't have other useful functions as well, I can't justify it.
  • wideloadwideload Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm in the same boat, just bought a Spark 3 + Music and it is clock up steps whilst I'm at my desk (before you ask, I don't type like piano cat).
    Trying a factory reset now...