Cannot pair with Android 6.0 - Page 4 — TomTom Community

Cannot pair with Android 6.0

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks again for all your feedback! The promised update addressing this issue is due very soon :D However, meanwhile I'd like to share with you an observation from a colleague. He noticed that the pairing problem is often related to the not having been named in MySports Connect. He proposed the following troubleshooting steps:
    • On the phone forget the Watch from the Bluetooth settings.
    • On the phone, go to Application Manager, select MySports and click on “Delete data”
    • Plug the watch to the computer and factory reset the watch so you will be able to give your watch a new name (or the same name again).
    • Pair the watch to the phone, and the pin code field will appear.
    I hope this helps!

Cheers, Mikko
  • yamosyamos Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    doesn't work - moto G 3rd
  • kschonewillkschonewill Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Just commenting so I'll get an update when this is fixed... Same issue here, Nexus 6P running 6.0.1 and no prompt to enter the PIN that shows up on the watch when pairing.
  • DanimatosDanimatos Posts: 59 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks again for all your feedback! T
    I hope this helps!

Cheers, Mikko
    No, it didn't.
    Same results, no pin code.
  • JPSneldersJPSnelders Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    To MikkoK: any idea what "soon" means? it is this year or century?
  • vinkrishvinkrish Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    MikkoK: it didn't work. Guess the only way is to wait for that update. Don't updates have a release date?
  • GilbertoeGilbertoe Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Google as changed something... But the fact is that many devices are working fine against Android 6.0. For instance, my SmartTV. In my opinion TomTom is not working at all on it.
  • slkashslkash Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Since updating my HTC One A9 to Android 6.0.1 the pairing works perfectly well.
  • Daddy AndroidDaddy Android Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Hopefully this update will be released soon. I'm using an LG G3 on Marshmallow and have the same issue. It does simply seem to be an issue with the watch's security and the pin entry box not popping up on the phone. Its a shame that there's no option to simply disable the pin request until the firmware can be updated. I've got no problems with any of my other Bluetooth devices. My Sony Smart Band Talk also uses Bluetooth low energy and has worked from the start.
  • ffsacceptauniqueusernameffsacceptauniqueusername Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    No PIN entry box is clearly the problem.

I get 2 notifications on the phone, one a bluetooth and one a little watch icon generated by the app. No combination works to generate a pin entry pad on the phone and the watch cycles through a new pin each time. It used to work ok before the update to marshmallow.

Using a Sony Xperia Z5 and my Garmin devices work but I do notice that the bluetooth is flaky with my car, and with my Garmin forerunner 220 you have to go in and pair the two just to get them to sync even though they are already paired. i wouldn't be too hard on TomTom and suggest that someone looks at how Sony and android bluetooth stacks work together.
  • liyliy Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same issues as everyone. Proposed fix of reseting etc does not work.

Can see phone and start pairing, but it does not let me enter pin and finish the pairing process.

> Watch software version 1.8.46
    > Phone model Moto E LTE 2nd Gen
    > Android version 6.0
    > MySports app version 2.0.12-58b77f0
  • InspectorFowlerInspectorFowler Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I realize this is likely a problem with the phone. I can pair my Spark Cardio with my Pixel C, because it pops up a keyboard to type in the phone. I can't pair with my Nexus 6P, because there is no keyboard. It seems like a simple software fix for this would be to let users opt out of the PIN security on the phone side, prior to initiating a Bluetooth pairing.
  • Daddy AndroidDaddy Android Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Exactly what I was trying to suggest.

I can see no benefit from the security pin. If the watch was lost and the finder attempted to connect to their own phone, the pin still let's them pair it (assuming that they're not android 6.0 ;-) )and would allow them access to your account anyway via the app. The only time that you would otherwise want security would be when initiating a new request to pair, which is only achieved through the pair screen anyway. If accidentally paired to the wrong phone, you would repair it until it works.
    Remove the pin request and it should all work fine.
    If not willing to do that, could Tomtom please give us a realistic hint as to timescale. They've been copying the same response to complaints on the android store for months and this discussion on here is 6 months old now.
    Exactly. I can't actually remember the last Bluetooth device I owned that required the PIN to connect. I still understand that Android should prompt the keyboard, but at this point, it seems like a simple opt-out in the device itself or in the MySports Connect software should suffice.
  • ASmugDillASmugDill Posts: 550 [Apprentice Traveler]
    … but at this point, it seems like a simple opt-out in the device itself or in the MySports Connect software should suffice.
    If you initiate a Pair New operation on your GPS running watch, and allow any compatible Bluetooth device within range at the time to accept and remembering the pairing, without requiring confirmation by PIN, it introduces risk of someone else's device having access to sensitive health/fitness/personal data that your wearable device gathers on you.

These days, every man, woman and his/her dog within a ten-metre radius of you are likely to have Bluetooth-equipped devices on them, and as soon as you make your wearable device discoverable, any one could pair with your watch if there is no inherent challenge (such as by a PIN that is only available to the wearer of the initiating device). Remember, once a pairing is successfully established, you cannot remove it from the watch's end without something along the lines of a factory reset.
    That's true, but only during the discovery period. That's why I suggest an opt-out. It could even be timed. If I don't initiate a new pairing, the device isn't discoverable.

It could have a menu setting that says, "For 120 seconds, do not require a PIN for Bluetooth pairings" with a pop-up saying, "Are you sure?" I would be willing to accept the astronomically low odds that somebody has a Bluetooth sniffer and an app that auto-pairs and begins downloading data immediately. Or the even lower odds that somebody is sitting there with their phone open, just looking for pair-able BT devices.
  • ASmugDillASmugDill Posts: 550 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I would be willing to accept the astronomically low odds…
    That's fine, but if the manufacturer is only going to do one thing, the sensible choice would be to cater to the lowest common denominator in terms of risk management. Negligently compromising users' privacy and sensitive data – or even just allowing the obvious potential for such, either inadvertently or calculatedly on the balance of odds – would cause far more outrage and brand damage in the market as well as legal liability, than simply failing to serve a subset of Android 6.0 users well.

You don't get to choose a customised speed limit that applies to you individually based on how much appetite for risk you have (and your own assessment of your driving skill), when your actions and preferences may put others at risk too. Equally, manufacturers and vendors of consumer technology (where they're in control) cannot allow you to choose a customised level of restraint and constraints based on your appetite for risk, when your actions and preferences may put their business and shareholder interests at risk too.
  • MtsavolaMtsavola Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Watch software version 1.8.46 (TomTom Multi Sport Cardio)
    Phone model LG G3
    Android version 6.0
    MySports app version 2.0.12-58b77f0

I cannot pair my Multi Sport Cardio with my phone. I can't enter PIN.

or from phone settings -> bluetooth: "Pairing incomplete" "Wrong PIN or passkey. Try again?"

Surprisingly when I tried to pair my girlfriend's TomTom Spark Cardio (v. 1.1.19), phone asked for PIN and paired just fine...
    Does anyone from TomTom have any sort of update on this issue?
  • RyedoRyedo Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    From Spain the same problem. There is no window to enter the PIN since I upgraded to Adroid 6.0.

Phone: LG G3
    Watch software version: 1.8.46
    MySports app version: 2.0.12-58b77f0
    Hi there...Today I have tried again and my watch paired with my moto x phone!!!!!
    Just amazing!!!!!!!
  • mjdartmjdart Posts: 25 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Did you notice anything different or unusual the time it eventually went through for you?
    I have installed a new 32M sdcard...No idea if it is related with the previus problem...
  • GigeordieGigeordie Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm having the same problem.

HTC M8
    Android Version 6.0
    TomTom Runner
    Version 1.8.46

The 'pin pads doesn't appear.

Any fixes?
    So this is definitely NOT a permanent solution, actually its not even a solution, just a workaround that works for me. I had an old Nexus 7 2012 laying around that I planned on selling a while back, but never got to. So I flashed a pre-Marshmallow (6.0) factory image off Googles website here:

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#nakasi

Now, it should have worked for me to stop here, install the TomTom app, connect the watch, and use the old tablet to install the QuickGPS and to sync my workouts, but unfortunately, Google didn't enable Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) even though its capable of it.

So, I did a little research and Cyanogenmod has BLE enabled and has a pre-Marshmallow ROM for the Nexus 7 2012 (I went with CM 11 located here: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/90453/cm-11-20141112-SNAPSHOT-M12-grouper.zip)

I unlocked by bootloader, rooted the tablet, installed TWRP, flashed the CM ROM, then flashed GAPPS (pico version because the N7 2012 doesn't have a lot of extra room in the system partition) from here: http://opengapps.org/?api=4.4&variant=pico (All this is alot less complicated that it sounds and is made a ton easier with tools like the "Nexus Root Toolkit" by WugFresh)

Once it rebooted, I installed the TomTom My Sports App, and voila my watch connects to my tablet no problem and I'm able to update QuickGPS and sync my workouts.

Again, I know this isn't a solution by any means, but it works for me and just thought I'd pass it along.

One last thought, if you have a spare device that either never got Marshmallow or you're able to revert back to pre-Marshmallow, and is BLE compatible, it might be worth it to use that device solely to satisfy TomTom's compatibility until they're able to figure it out on their end.

Feel free to ask more specific details of any of the steps above... I can't promise I'll keep a close eye on this thread (and TomTom doesn't have an email notification setting.......sigh) but I'll check back every so often to see if there's anybody in need of assistance.