Cannot pair with Android 6.0 - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Cannot pair with Android 6.0

Comments

• CoopKillCoopKill Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Update: Turning off the wifi, and location got it to pair. I turned them back on, turned off blue tooth, closed the app, and reopened. It paired but took about 30 seconds. Tried again, and had to turn off sync as mentioned above.
  • toesnztoesnz Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    try starting the app on your phone, then push the left menu button on your watch to the today data. When the watch is showing the time, bluetooth is asleep, pushing the menu button activates it. It's designed this way to maximise battery life, Cheers, Steve
  • Kyle HorKyle Hor Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    Can TomTom please modify their Android application to allow users to key in the pair code themselves. It's annoying that I can see the 6 digit pair code on my watch , and I can see my watch appearing on the Android TomTom application. But when I try to pair them, it fails without even giving me a chance to manually enter the pairing code.
  • ASmugDillASmugDill Posts: 550 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Kyle Hor wrote:
    Can TomTom please modify their Android application to allow users to key in the pair code themselves.
    Hahaha, that is the idea – and what most users are able to do in the TomTom MySports app running on either iOS or Android 4.x/5.x[/x]. It just doesn't work properly on Android 6.x, that's all.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,568
    Superusers
    Kyle Hor wrote:
    Can TomTom please modify their Android application to allow users to key in the pair code themselves. It's annoying that I can see the 6 digit pair code on my watch , and I can see my watch appearing on the Android TomTom application. But when I try to pair them, it fails without even giving me a chance to manually enter the pairing code.

Keep an eye out for an icon in the notification area at the top, some phone models require you to allow the app access in a separate window that does not pop to the front automatically. On my Samsung tablet it was not giving me the passcode entry but I noticed a tiny icon of a watch at the top of the screen (and you may need to drag down if the notification area is hidden by default). When I opened the notification there was an entry on the list for TomTom Sports watch. Clicking that and confirming the watch then allowed the passcode entry screen to come up. It was being blocked by the tablet OS. Paired just fine after that.
    Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately my Android pops up the notification fine. I could intitiate the pairing. But it keeps failing within the second. If it is hung there waiting for input, I could still try to search for another window to enter the pin code. But not in my case. So disappointed.
  • thayerz00rthayerz00r Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm also experiencing the "not pairing" syndrome for my MultiSport Cardio, but I've had some interesting -and hopefully helpful- finds (with -multiple devices)...
    Nexus 5x, Android 6.0.1, Software 1.8.46, MySports Version (s) 2.0.12-58b77f0 (current), 2.0.8-d54f451, 2.0.6-481023f, 1.5.1 94f64c1, and 1.5.0 33fb6b9 (old versions pulled from a 3rd party apk host) -- current from the play store.
    (Also tried on Nexus 5 (android 6.0.1, 6, 5.0 and 4.4 (CM11)), Ubik Uno (android 5.1), and HTC One S (android 4.4 - only the current MySports version)-- all with the same result). Also tried with Location on/off wifi on/off and airplane mode on/off with Bluetooth on.

I've found that the watch is found upon first pairing attempt within the MySports application and either just prompts for pin or has the "do you want to pair" set of prompts, in all version scenarios, the process either immediately times out (dumps back to "connect") or thinks about it for a while, 10-30 seconds, and then times out. When trying again, no pin prompt happens.

When looking at system paired Bluetooth devices, the device shows as a paired Bluetooth device. Probably why no prompt to pair is given when trying again. This sounds familiar for folks who were working then an update of sorts (android os, application or watch software) came through that broke the pairing. Forgetting the device from paired devices in Bluetooth settings allows another pin entry and re-pairing attempt.

Interesting find though: when using nRF Master Control Panel on the Nexus 5x, I'm able to read device information, model, type, software version and serial (didn't try nRF on other phones). This leads me to believe that the device pairing actually was successful at the system level! (I can also pair the watch using nRF, and it recognizes the 6 digit pin as valid). The caveat: for any reading of the information to happen the watch must be in "pairing with a new phone mode." I've attached a screenshot of this. Returning to the MySports application doesn't yield any further results.

It seems like the device "pairs" and then shuts off Bluetooth communication before relaying back to the application that, "hey I'm a tomtom sportwatch!" While poking it again with a 3rd party software with Bluetooth communication going on the device (pairing mode) actually gets device information out. Maybe the application software is acknowledging pairing and telling the device to go dormant again too quickly or the watch firmware says "yay, I'm paired" and turns off by itself.

I don't know if any of that is helpful to those working on the problem, but I figured I'd chime in!
    Wow, thayerzOOr. I think you nailed it. The pairing protocol is working but the devices times out too quickly. Could also be that the newer phones ask for a respond too quickly before the watch is able to react to it. Could be why TomTom has been so quiet about this as they could not make the respond time of the watch to go any quicker. And their phone app does not have the rights to slow down the pairing communication at the Android OS level.

Now if I want to update my runs while travelling, I have to either bring my laptop and cable or bring along an older Android that's paired with my watch :(
  • RobPopeRobPope Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    TomTom Runner 1.8.46
    Phone model: Sony Z5 Compact
    Android version: 6.0
    MySports App ver 2.0.12-58b77f0

My Sony Z5 was running great yesterday, then I got an update to Marshmallow and it's all gone to pot! I had similar issues on my Moto G runing 5.0 - updating to 5.1 fixed the issue, not a fix from TomTom.

I'm really frustrated. I bought this watch because of the Bluetooth Uploads and it's the worst aspect of the watch.
  • DanimatosDanimatos Posts: 59 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Kyle Hor wrote:
    ...Could also be that the newer phones ask for a respond too quickly before the watch is able to react to it.
    I don't think so, when I try to pair with my Bluetooth headset, speaker or other device, my phone does not time out so fast.
    Kyle Hor wrote:
    Now if I want to update my runs while travelling, I have to either bring my laptop and cable or bring along an older Android that's paired with my watch :(
    I don't have an laptop or an old Android phone :-(
  • thayerz00rthayerz00r Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Kyle Hor wrote:
    I have to either bring my laptop and cable or bring along an older Android that's paired with my watch :(

I've actually never been able to get the watch to pair with any phone, no matter which version of android it was running :| (apparently the HTC OneS was running 4.3...) So USB it is for me for now.. :)
  • GilbertoeGilbertoe Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I will sell my watch to a windows phone user.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks again for all your feedback regarding this issue!

As my colleague mentioned above, we're working on a fix on this and I'm happy to tell you that we're currently testing it so hopefully we can deliver it soon :D I don't have a release date yet but I'll post back as soon as I learn more.

As the problem manifests itself differently in different phones, please keep you detailed feedback coming as I've requested here earlier. It'll greatly help us find a fix that covers as many phones and scenarios as possible.

Thanks, Mikko
  • Lucas BrusckyLucas Bruscky Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The same for me, my Cardio Runner only shows up with Location Services enabled, but I'm not able to input the pin number and pairing is therefore impossible. Everything is updated to latest available version (Watch firmware, Android OS and MySports app).

Info:
    Watch software version - Cardio Runner 1.8.46
    Phone model - Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen)
    Android version - 6.0 Marshmallow (kernel: 3.10.49-g88eb8b3, system version 24.11.25.osprey_retla_ds.retla.en.01 tefbr)
    MySports app version - 2.0.12-58b77f0
  • yamosyamos Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Info:
    Watch software version - Tomtom Runner 1.8.46
    Phone model - Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen)
    Android version - 6.0 Marshmallow
    MySports app version - 2.0.12-58b77f0

Watch doesn't pair with phone.
    To synchronise watch with mysports app I must use my wife old LG
  • JeffrodiziacJeffrodiziac Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    No pairing key appearing. How long does it take to fix this?

Phone: MotoX 2014 (XT-1092)
    Android 6.0
    Watch software version : 1.8.46
    MySports app version: 2.0.12-58b77f0
  • LaplaceGLaplaceG Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    No luck for me either anymore. Would not recommend anyone to buy running/fitness watches from Tom Tom until the problem is fixed.

Phone: Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
    Watch: Multisport Cardio
    Android 6.0
    Watch software: 1.8.46
    Mysports app: 2.0.12-58b77f0
  • YorxYorx Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here!

Watch: TomTom Multi-Sport
    Phone : BQ Aquaris E-4.5
    Mysport 2.0.12-58b77f0
    Android 6.0
    Watch software 1.8.46
    Android kernel: 3.18.19
  • Will71Will71 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem...

Phone: Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
    Watch: TomTom Runner
    Android 6.0
    Watch software: 1.8.46
    Mysports app: 2.0.12-58b77f0
  • peso79peso79 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same issue here. Left a negative review on Amazon and was advised by a community manager that "MySports is currently compatible with Android platforms 4.3 and up" and that I should update my watch software and apps. Someone should probably clue him/her in.

Phone: HTC m8 One
    Android 6.0
    Watch software version :1.8.46
  • DanieleQDanieleQ Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same issue here. Details below.
    Please, the bluetooth is necessary!

Phone: LG G3
    Android: 6.0
    Watch software version :1.8.46
  • viktoriousviktorious Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Watch: Runner2 Cardio
    Phone: Nexus 6P
    Android: 6.0.1
    Watch software version: 1.2.0
  • osky087osky087 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is unacceptable, i was anxious to receive the watch and it cant pair with my phone. And to make it worse its been an issue for months. I am making a claim in the Better Business Bureau.
    Watch: Runner Cardio
    Phone: LG G5
    Android: 6.0.1
    Watch software version: 1.8.46
  • EdjeEdje Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Great Response :-(

Just bought a Nexus 6p Phone because I don't like all the rubbish other manufacturers place on the phones. Now I fear everytime a Android update is published I get into trouble with my Sportswatch.
  • BibKBibK Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]

Phone: LG G4
    Android: 6.0
    Watch software version: 1.8.46