FAQ - What is MyDrive and what can I do with it? - Page 4 — TomTom Community

FAQ - What is MyDrive and what can I do with it?

Comments

• bobmoranebobmorane Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Responding to myself, I found the solution by chance!!

Use itnconv to plan your route, then simply save it as "tomtom mydrive" (duh!) and it will open a web page at mydrive.tomtom.com with all the stops.

From there it's as you described, send route to device from the route planning section.

The other beauty of it is that you can also save the route as a .itn or .gpx locally on your hard drive and you can maintain your library of routes without transforming them to tracks on mydrive

I wish TomTom would bring back the functionality that was in the old devices to plan itineraries, allowing to reorder stops easily or mark them visited etc
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,977 Superusers
    Hi
    Many users have asked for the facility to backup their MyPlaces to a PC I've posted this How to guide using the method developed by User GEB
    It looks complicated but it isn't, most of the process steps are for the installation of the programs and set-up and are only required once...
    Then it's simply Drag 'n' Drop of a few files

Edit...(1) 15/05/17
    I have edited the post to correct the anomalies mentioned in the following posts.....

Edit...(2) 17/05/18
    TomTom has modified the internal format of xxxMyDrive.txt file which contains in particular Places/Favourites.
    User GEB has written a new Notepad++ macro named Fav2csvNF decoding the New Format; it's part of attached shortcuts zip file.

@GEB
    Many thanks for maintaining the Macro

Edit... (3) 05/07/18
    Important... On the MyDrive Web Route planner... Tomtom has recently changed the download 'MyPlaces Data' file from a ,txt file to a ,gz (Zipped file)... The file will need unzipping using something like Z-Zip file Manager before you can drop the file into Notepad ++
    Z-Zip file Manager... https://7-zip.org/

Part (1)... The MyDrive Route planner allows you to download your data from the Tomtom Cloud

890dc3ab-21ea-4623-b744-61a10fc0111d.pngThe file looks like unusable Gobbledegook, but thanks to Notepad++ and GEB's Macro, the MyPlaces can be found in the file

caeec828-f2a6-40cd-8f7f-01c3c79a8dc6.png____________________________________

(1)... Download Notepad++ and install.....
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
    (1.1)... Important... Close Notepad++

(2)... Download GEB's Macro "Shortcuts" folder to your Desktop.....
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k2h0r7v4vk59fs8/AABkM39Q3HNLSkEguq8vQag9a?dl=0

Click on the "Download" button screen top right... Then choose "Direct download" and save the folder to your Desktop

To install the "Shortcuts.xml" macro...
    (3)...Run the Notepad++ program
    (4)... Now open the folder “Notepad++” this folder is normally hidden: See Note(1)

Note(1)...The folder is hidden by default...
    You will need to open the Control Panel
    > Open File Explorer options
    > Click on the View Tab
    > Scroll down and select Show hidden Files folder and drives

The menu path to the “Notepad++” folder is.....
    (4.1)... For the Pre-Windows 7 versions of Windows the macros are saved at.....
    C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Notepad++\shortcuts.xml

(4.2)... For Windows versions 7|8|10 the macros are saved at.....
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\shortcuts.xml

Drag and drop the shortcuts.xml file, from the folder you downloaded in bullet point (2), into the open Notepad++ folder
    There was already a "shortcuts.xml" file in the Notepad++ folder I simply overwrote it with the new "shortcuts.xml" macro file... Close the open menu

db54dda8-dab0-47c3-b42a-a9a03a986479.png

Important before completing bullet point (5)...
    Tomtom on the MyDrive Web Route planner has recently changed the download 'MyPlaces Data' file from a ,txt file to a ,gz (Zipped file)... The file will need unzipping using something like Z-Zip file Manager before you can drop the file into Notepad ++
    Z-Zip file Manager... https://7-zip.org/

(5)... Drag and Drop the .txt file from the MyDrive Route planner into the Notepad++ main window

c893a89a-92a7-4559-bea8-4bf3a20aad82.png
    (6)... Click on the "Macro button" on the Notepad++ toolbar
    (7)... Click on the "Fav2csvNF" in the Notepad++ Macro window... If all goes well, in a few seconds the Magic will happen and the Gobbledegook will be replaced with a list of all of your Myplaces

Screen grab of my MyPlaces (Personal info pixelated)
    15cd417e-8f69-4826-bc74-38a71cbaf378.png(8)... From the "File Button" on the Notepad++ toolbar... Click on the "Save As" option
    (9)... At the bottom of the "Save As" Window... scroll UP the offered list of file types to All types (*.*)
    Save the file to the desktop as a .csv file i.e... MyPlaces.csv

a848ef33-fcb2-40e2-a7f0-14f9ef42eda0.png(10).. Download and install the free Tyre to travel.....
    http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    Also see bullet point (10.1)... Below
    (11)... Drag and drop your "MyPlaces.csv" into Tyre.....
    From the Tyre "File Tab” Select “Save as" I saved my file to the Desktop as "_Favorites”
    (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" is not displayed on the Tomtom screen, but it forces the POI Category to the top of the list

You can, of course, save the POI Category as any name

Note: Saving a file is the only way I have found to give the file the name you want rather than the default name, it’s also handy to have a backup of your .Ov2 file on your PC

[h3]Note...[/h3](10.1)... The latest Tyre to Travel is a complete rewrite... Google changed the T&Cs for using Google maps...
    I haven't had time to test the MyPlace .csv file conversion process with the new version of Tyre

But here's another option suggested by User GEB that's not using Tyre....
    Here...https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/faq-what-is-mydrive-and-what-can-i-do-with-it-990620/index4.html#post1165508

Quote....
    As an alternative I use ITNConv instead of Tyre; it's really just a matter of a few clicks....
    (10.2)...From MyDrive (Web) download xxx_MyDrive.json.gz and unzip to obtain xxx_MyDrive.json

(10.3)...Right click on xxx_MyDrive.json and Edit with Notepad++ then Macro and Fav2csvNF

(10.4)... Select Save as then replace the file extension json by csv and Save (no need to select All types); this creates xxx_MyDrive.csv file.

(10.5)... Right click on xxx_MyDrive.csv and Open with then Itinerary Converter & Planner

(10.6)... Select TomTom POI (*.ov2) on last line and click Export which creates xxx_MyDrive.ov2; rename the file to MyPlaces.ov2 if you like

Thats it !!!
    End Quote

(12)... Use My Drive to load your New Favorites POI Category to your device

Using MyDrive.....
    [video]
    You can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required (Saves the MyPlaces blue star screen clutter) and use your New Favorites POI Category instead… Any editing of a POI Category must be done offline using Tyre or MyRoute App as the NAV4 devices haven’t the facility to edit POI Categories on the device

[h2]Part (2)... Using a Personal POI Category[/h2]
    The main advantage of using a Personal POI Category or Categories over a long list of MyPlaces is that POI Categories are searchable... Also if you only keep the Minimal/Important Myplaces on the device, it cuts down the MyPlaces Blue Star screen clutter :)

Searching a POI Category.....
    You can show categorized POI's on the Map during a search
    For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POIs for the National Trust... To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, work your way down to option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type dud(maston) (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list
    Tap on Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

c5ffdc10-40f2-4a3f-8e7c-d08052319095.jpg(1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a scrollable list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order

300706b9-db74-434b-aa0d-bdf54a5c3dd9.jpg
    (2)...... Tap the Two Circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range it's easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen) as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location

c21bff00-af3e-42ae-8817-dbde61072dc4.jpgThere is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) To return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

The POI Icons are generic and dynamic the Icons change with the zoom level
    If you are searching for a 3RD party POI Category, for example, a "Burger King" restaurant, the displayed generic Icons will all be for "Burger King" so using the present system you don't need the "Burger King" Logo

You can, of course, tap one of the generic Icons to open a quick menu
    With the name of the POI... The option to Drive there
    Plus a 3Dot Quick Menu Icon with further options

584f4d7a-ee9d-4123-81ec-20ba5a22107e.jpg

Note... After installing the latest updates you can now also show a basic Icon of individual POIs of a chosen POI category on the driving map

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    In step #5 I don't have a choice to click on Dest2csv. I'm guessing a different version than your tutorial. Any suggestions?
  • GEBGEB Posts: 1,368 Superusers
    The macro has been modified ... it's Fav2csv now ...
  • khiggs67khiggs67 Posts: 23 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Sorry still not seeing it
    Hi
    Did you complete Bullet point (4)

ATB YFM

- In Windows < 7 the macros are saved at C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Notepad++\shortcuts.xml
    - In Windows 7|8|10 C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\shortcuts.xml
    DO NOT use the Program Files/Notepad++ directory which also contains shortcuts.xml (it's a copy of ...\AppData\...\shortcuts.xml)
    I did but still not there
    Did you restart Notepad++ ???
    Len,

the shortcuts.xml file you downloaded is NOT the last one ... try this one : https://www.tomtomforums.com/attachments/shortcuts04-zip.4945/

*** above link edited (17/05/18)
    Thank you. That worked! Can that be loaded back onto the 600 later?
    YamFazMan's tutorial explains how to create a .ov2 file containing all your favorites that you can load back onto the 600 as POIs (that can easily be reused to create Favorites, if needed, ... but one by one ... just tap on it and use the context menu)
    Any chance you have a link to that tutorial?
    Hi GEB Thanks
    I've edited my tutorial to incorporate your latest Notepad++ shortcuts.xml file

ATB YFM

Hi

As from bullet point (10) at the end of my previous post......

(10).. Download and install the free Tyre to travel... http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    (11)... Drag and drop your "MyPlaces.csv" into Tyre.....
    From the Tyre "File Tab” Select “Save as" I saved my file to the Desktop as "_Favorites”
    (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" is not displayed on the Tomtom screen, but it forces the POI Category to the top of the list

You can, of course, save the POI Category as any name

Note: Saving a file is the only way I have found to give the file the name you want rather than the default name, it’s also handy to have a backup of your .Ov2 file on your PC

(12)... Use My Drive to load your New Favorites POI Category to your device

Using MyDrive.....
    [video]

You can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required (Saves the MyPlaces blue star screen clutter) and use your New Favorites POI Category instead… Any editing of a POI Category must be done offline using Tyre or MyRoute App as the NAV4 devices haven’t the facility to edit POI Categories on the device

The main advantage of using a Personal POI Category over a long list of MyPlaces is that POI Categories are searchable... Also if you only keep the Minimal/Important Myplaces on the device, it cuts down the MyPlaces Blue Star screen clutter :)

Searching a POI Category.....
    You can show categorised POI's on the Map during a search
    For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POIs for the National Trust... To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, work your way down to option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type dud(maston) (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list
    Tap on Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

c5ffdc10-40f2-4a3f-8e7c-d08052319095.jpg(1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a scrollable list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order

300706b9-db74-434b-aa0d-bdf54a5c3dd9.jpg
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range its easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location

c21bff00-af3e-42ae-8817-dbde61072dc4.jpgThere is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right)
    To return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

The POI Icons are generic and dynamic the Icons change with the zoom level
    If you are searching for a 3RD party POI Category, for example, a "Burger King" restaurant, the displayed generic Icons will all be for "Burger King" so using the present system you don't need the "Burger King" Logo

You can, of course, tap one of the generic Icons to open a quick menu
    With the name of the POI... The option to Drive there
    Plus a 3Dot Quick Menu Icon with further options

584f4d7a-ee9d-4123-81ec-20ba5a22107e.jpg

Note... After installing the latest updates you can now also show a basic Icon of individual POIs of a chosen POI category on the driving map

ATB YFM

Thanks
    I've edited my tutorial to incorporate your latest Notepad++ shortcuts.xml file

ATB YFM

*** edited (17/05/18)

Thanks Len !
    As an alternative I use ITNConv instead of Tyre; it's really just a matter of a few clicks :
    - from MyDrive (Web) download xxx_MyDrive.json.gz and unzip to obtain xxx_MyDrive.json
    - right click on xxx_MyDrive.json and Edit with Notepad++ then Macro and Fav2csvNF
    - select Save as then replace the file extension json by csv and Save (no need to select All types); this creates xxx_MyDrive.csv file.
    - right click on xxx_MyDrive.csv and Open with then Itinerary Converter & Planner
    - select TomTom POI (*.ov2) on last line and click Export which creates xxx_MyDrive.ov2; rename the file to MyPlaces.ov2 if you like
    - Thats it !!!
    YamFazMan wrote:
    ...There was already a "shortcuts.xml" file in the Notepad++ folder I simply overwrote it with the new "shortcuts.xml" macro file...
    By doing this you must be aware that all previous existing user macros, if any, will be overwritten too; If so, you should edit the shortcuts.xml file (with a different editor than Notepad ++;)) to add the Fav2csv macro to the Macros section.
    Hi
    The Notepad ++ was a fresh download and install why would there be any macros called "shortcuts.xml already in the folder anyway ???

ATB YFM

yes of course ... that's why I wrote "if any" ... but shortcuts.xml may contain many different macros; I for one, have written several of them, for example to view Favorites/Places using Google Streetview, ... all registered in shortcuts.xml ;)
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    Would it not be easier if TomTom included a file/folder option in My places together with the edit option to allow a name to replace the current time/date method.

For an old head like mine the above appears very complicated
    tugman wrote:
    For an old head like mine the above appears very complicated
    ... but it isn't ... hey! I'm 68 ;)
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    Wrll you have long way to go before get to where I am
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

I updated the FAQ in light of the recent update. See Update 12

Cheers, Mikko
  • pistu_fogheccpistu_foghecc Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    How can i avoid highways in the route panner?
  • EandvikEandvik Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Mikko, I've read all the info here, but still have a problem: I like to take multi-day trips without bringing my computer, so I'm using Tomtom Go on my android phone. What would be REALLY USEFUL for me is to create a multi-stop route ON THE PHONE, and be able to sync it (whether auto-sync or any other way!) so that it will show up on my GPS with all the stops. Is there any way to do that? Thanks for the help!