FAQ - What is MyDrive and what can I do with it? - Page 2 — TomTom Community

FAQ - What is MyDrive and what can I do with it?

Comments

• DMC314159DMC314159 Posts: 45 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi YamFazMan,
    I saw both those posts and followed them to successfully transfer routes to the TT6100.
    I stand by my comments.
    In my experience MyDrive's Plan Route option doesn't export routes to the TT6100 correctly, while the My Route option does work, it relies on third party software to create the route.
    As it stands MyDrive is making claims to functionality that it is not capable of supporting, and is frustrating users through poor expectation management. TomTom should either upgrade the software to perform to their own stated functionality, or downgrade what they say the software can do.
    David
  • etepetep Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    thanks to both of u 4 the replies , but when i buy a product i expect it to work without having to run around sourcing other products to make it work properly, I'm getting old now so don't have the time, and the tech side of it can sometimes b a bit bafferling. if I'm at a camp with no Wi-Fi i want to b able to plan a route on the sat nav AND to b easily able to customise the route i want to take. like i say with my 8 yr old one it was a matter of pushing a button/marker on the road i wanted and it immediately changed coarse i could make 6 or 7 changes in minutes. no so with this product. Also having to make changes whilst on route is dangerous. Not everyone has iPhones, tablets or even computers and believe it or not some people still sit down and read a paper back book. I think its time that i should reluctantly consider a divorce with tom-tom. i have a lot more to say but being dragged out of the room wife needs me. Thanks again for replies.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    Hi

The MyDriveConnect Route planner works well for me, and transfers routes to my three NAV4 devices OTA (Over the air) and via the USB Lead
    I have the 3 Devices, all set-up with NONE-Unified accounts and the MyDriveConnect Route planner syncs the planned route to the three devices perfectly.....
    The GO 5000 OTA... The Start 60 Via USB lead... The Rider 400 using Mobile Phone... It all works well for me

The main reason I use the MyRoute App is the 20 stops limit for the MyDriveConnect Route planner, I plan routes with many more stops

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    I agree that it how you do it is different to earlier models and that "manual" is pretty much click on the screen and try stuff out.

The following is one safe way to modify a route you have created and are already driving.

1. Pull over and stop car.
    2. Touch the upwards facing arrow on the left side (Changes from 3D driving view to 2D map view)
    3. To add a stop to your route
    Use one finger to slide the map and two fingers to pinch the zoom so you can see the new stop
    Touch and hold the screen where you want the new stop on the map until a + in a black circle appears
    Touch that black circle
    Touch the three vertical dots and choose "Add to Current Route"
    or
    Touch Search in the top right corner and enter the address/POI you want
    Touch Add
    Repeat as required
    4. If you want to change the sequence of the stops on your route:
    Touch the three horizontal dots in the bottom left corner
    Touch Current Route
    Flick the screen from right to left twice and then touch Reorder Stops
    Touch the purple markers in turn
    (Noting that a circled dot is a stop and if you touch one of these last it will become the destination for your route)
    5. To delete a stop from your route
    First make sure you are zoomed in close enough to be able to touch the white flag in a green circle
    Touch the stops green circle
    Touch the three vertical dots and choose "Delete this Stop"
    6. Touch Let's Go... at the top of the screen
    7. Restart car and follow driving instructions of the revised route.

I hope the above helps fill the gap in TomTom's documentation and lets you make friends with the TT6100.
    David
  • etepetep Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi DMC314159
    my last post and your reply seem to have disappeared not sure if its my browser, a fault with the forum or perhaps been scratched for some reason.
    anyway would like to thank you for the time and effort you put into your reply i was going to copy and paste onto my desktop in case i ever bought a new tomtom, yes that's right i got my money back yesterday, as i tow a caravan I'm looking at getting a camping and caravan sat nav, but all seem to have problems so might have to get the TT trucker in the end and i think u can download some software for caravanning from TT.
    the idea i liked about others was that some of them come pre loaded with all the CARAVAN CLUB sites and info plus a “ by the book route” for the last mile or so which you can overlay
    on the route chosen by the sat nav and if it does not match u just tap and it over rights so u have piece of mind that u wont get caught out on the last bit of the trip if there's more than one way to reach the site.
    i do think that TT is probably the best but the new system seems to have far to many taps to accomplish anything. The old system whether through familiarity or not just seemed far more logical to me.
    It seems to me that companies are these days putting out beta products as the finished version and just letting the users find all the problems for them to correct..
    To sum up if I cant find one i like then i will buy TT Trucker and be getting back to u every time i get stuck, lol.
    Once again thank u for all your effort in trying to make my life easier
    regards Pete
    Ok step by step...
    Providing:
    1. You are logged in the same account on my MyDrive and your TT6100, and
    2. The TT6100 has over 400MB free memory, and
    3. The TT6100 is turned, but not plugged in to anything, and
    4. You use the MyDrive's "Plan Route" to plan a route STARTING from your CURRENT physical location, and
    5. You have the TomTom helpdesk on the phone, and
    6. The stars align then...

Pressing Send Route to Device above the route WILL successfully send the route to the TT6100

I have yet to see this work option when the route STARTS from a position different to your CURRENT physical location.
    Small steps...
    Sorry I should have added I already had all but steps 5 and 6 in place, but no banana.
    Adding the helpdesk and the stars definitely helped.
    David.
    Two days ago:
    I got an email back from the TomTom support team acknowledging that
    MyDrive has problems sending routes to at least TT6100's when the route STARTS from a position different to your CURRENT physical location, AND...
    following testing they have a fix planed for this in the next release of MyDrive.

Another discovery other Mac users will find handy is to download and use FireFox instead of Safari. to run MyDrive.
    As discussed in other forum threads Safari is not fully compatible with MyDrive.

They are small steps, but they do seem to be leading to a better experience.

David.
  • NonnyMouseNonnyMouse Posts: 38 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi New to the TT5000 but have had a TT XLLive for many years (and starting to wish I had paid the subscriptions rather than buy a new TT)

A couple of questions about Mydrive;

Are Stops on the TT5000 waypoints ? (Previousl on TT-XL, they were actual "mini" destinations and had to be set as waypoints otherwise you were directed back if you passed the stop)

Edit to add that I am using win10 on a laptop as the app.

If I load POIs onto MyDrive, why can I not see them for route planning ? I have loaded Cararvan sites and like to use POIs along the route as break points for driving rests) Is that the way it is, or am I doing something wrong ?

Thx

NonynM
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi NonnyMouse,

Welcome to the forum!

The stops are indeed more like waypoints according to your description. You can easily re-order them in MyDrive. Please, see Update 4 in the FAQ above.

Uploaded POIs indeed won't currently show on search, You can, however, find them back in the My Places - POI files menu.

Cheers, Mikko
    >> MikkoK

Thanks for your reply and welcome.

I took my first drive with the TT5000 today and tried out Stops.

If I drive past a Stop, the TT5000 wants me to return to the Stop position unless I delete the Stop. To have to delete the stop is a problem / distraction when driving. On the TT XL, if the Stop was set as a waypoint, the TTXL would accept that it was not a point to stop at, but a point to pass by. I assume that there is no way that the TT5000 can do this ?

Also you kindly advised ""Uploaded POIs indeed won't currently show on search, You can, however, find them back in the My Places - POI files menu. "" I can see them on the TT5000 menu, but am unable to see them on the MyDrive My Places Menu. Is that correct ?

Thx for your advice.
    Hi NonnyMouse,

You shouldn't be directed back to a stop after you've passed it. I'd recommend you to contact Customer Service about this for further investigation.

Once you've uploaded POIs into MyDrive they should shown in the My Places - POI files menu. If that's not happening, please report this to Customer Service for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
    >> MikkoK

Hi, Thx again for the reply.

I will investigate more fully, and let you know outcome. It maybe Newbie nerves and over expectations leading to problems ;-)

Rgds
  • TravelmeTravelme Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi - I have a Go5100. I can use Mydrive to plan a route and it sends it to the Tom Tom as a current route, including intermediate stops, correctly. However, if I try and send it to the device as a future route, it sends it as a track instead of a route, and all the intermediate stops are lost (though the shown route/ track diverts through them correctly). Am I missing something? I need to plan a future 2 week holiday with different daily routes with a number of stops, and am finding this all very confusing!
    >> MikkoM

Refering to our conversations above.

Hi, I have been trying to use my TT5000 and am getting either confused or expecting more of the unit than it is able to give.

1) You may recall that I was having a problem using stops as waypoints. I have found that using stops as waypoints is not really practical,, because I have to turn them off if I pass them without stopping. If I do not,the TT5000 routes me back to the stop. (See sound comment below) Using the "Avoid a road" is too broad a brush as it completely removes some sections of useable road.

1b) Strange but true, I wrote a circular route using stops as markers for the route. Unfortunately I passed my destination before I got to the first stop and the route and stops disappeared from the screen. Lesson learnt to always temp save a route.

2) Using POIs in MyDrive ; Thanks for your advice, I have found the POIs in my places but have found a couple of problems.

2a) The file of POIs can be seen. I can sort of use one file because all the addresses have the words "Caravan Club" in the address title. However I can get no further than about 70 miles from my current position marked on the map. If I want to plan a route to a POI a couple of hundred miles away, I cannot use a POI.

2b) The other POI file, has multiple addresses (1500 plus) where the positions of small private campsites are located. Normal practice for a user would be to find an area, then display an area with a number of these sites shown so that they can be used to plot routes.
    This can be done on Tyre, it seems but the transfer, of data to TT5000 is not supported by Tyre. Although older TTs seem to be offered the choices in the Tyre menus.

One other thing I found was that to get to the menus, (to turn off stops) I keep turning the sound off. The location of the buttons are nearly identical, and when moving, a double tap often occures.

Otherwise, I must say the unit is very quick to reroute, much clearer to read and to hear, although the speed warnings could be clearer. Another useful funtion is the ability to move menu buttons around is very useful.

Rgds

Rgds
    Hi Travelme,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reporting this!

I'll log this to be reported to the product team.

@ NonnyMouse: Thanks for your elaborate feedback! You points 1b, 2a and 2b are currently limitations of the software. I'll log these as improvement requests for the product team. The first points have to do with how you set your waypoints. Make sure to zoom in enough to get the exact position. Rather than Avoid part of route, you could just delete a stop you've passed (if needed).

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi all,

I updated (see Update 7) the FAQ with some new enabled since the v16.201 software release :D

Cheers, Mikko
    >>M ikkoM

Again thanks for your reply and link. I will give it a try. (Always worth RTFM ;-)

Taken your advice and dropped Customer services a mail, I will wait for their reply.

Rgds

\\edit Just to add that I suggested to Customer services that a useful voice command would be "" Turn off next stop"" or similar, depending upon the amount of irritation is felt ;-))
  • ZbigZbig Posts: 83 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,
    Update 7: Since software v16.201 some new features are available in MyDrive:
    • Truck routing: it's now possible to plan truck routes and sync them with the Trucker 5000/6000/500 devices.
    • Possibility to choose 3 levels of hilliness and windiness
    • Export Track as a GPX file from device to MyDrive
    • Link to Mapshare Reporter (on the button right corner)

Hi MikkoK,

How can I do that with my Go 5100? In MyDrive, I can only see an option to import a GPX file on a computer and push it to my device, not the other way around. On my device, I can only see an option to "share" my track to a microSD card by swapping out my map card. I cannot picture anyone in their right mind bothering with that on a cloud-connected device that is otherwise perfectly capable of doing exactly that in the opposite direction... Well, I know I won't.

Regards,
    Zbig
  • MottusOlympusMottusOlympus Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Is there any way to stop my Go 5100 logging out of MyDrive?

After the device has been successfully logged in for a period of time, I noticed that the 'Cloud' symbol was no longer displayed. When going to TomTom Services it showed a status against MyDrive as "not logged in".

I logged back in, and a few days later the same thing happened again. Status was showing as "not logged in".

Not a great pain, but slightly annoying. So, is there any way to "stay" logged in?

Cheers
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    Hi
    @Zbig
    Have you downloaded and installed MyDrive Connect ???
    Get it Here..... www.tomtom.com/getstarted

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Yes, I am running MyDrive on my computer, and yes, I can log in to my account from my computer, and yes, I can download updates via my computer and apply them to my 5100, and yes, I have just downloaded and applied the latest update of MyDrive connect to my computer.

However, none of this is relevant to why after a period of time (seemingly random) my 5100 logs itself out of MyDrive. This question has nothing to do with using MyDrive connect on my computer, but as to why my GO 5100 logs out of MyDrive.
    Hi MottusOlympus,

Welcome to the forum!

YFM's reply was for Zbig. For you I'd recommend factory resetting your device by choosing Settings (cog wheel) - System - Reset - Reset. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

Should that not help you solve the issue, please contact Customer Service for further assistance.

Cheers, Mikko
  • MottusOlympusMottusOlympus Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Mikkok,

Ah, that would explain my confusion!

Many thanks for the response.... resetting to factory settings seems a bit extreme, considering it is only a slight inconvenience. As I say, it can remain logged in for some time before it decides to logout. So, having to log back in again isn't too much of a pain. If it gets worse, I'll try the factory reset.

Cheers, MottusOlympus
    Hi all,

We've just released some new cool features for MyDrive :D Please, see Update 8 in the announcement above.

Cheers, Mikko