FAQ - What is MyDrive and what can I do with it? — TomTom Community

FAQ - What is MyDrive and what can I do with it?

MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
Hi all,

Here I'll explain shortly what is MyDrive and what can you do with it with different devices. First it's important to distinguish between MyDrive and MyDrive Connect. The latter is essentially for updating your device. With MyDrive you can search locations, plan and send routes (and GPX tracks), view TomTom Traffic and send destinations to your (compatible) device. MyDrive is the website at mydrive.tomtom.com.

MyDrive app is also available for iPhone and Android phones.

[h2]What can you do with MyDrive?[/h2]
For a quick start view the videos below or see this FAQ.
This video only presents the features available at launch in 2015. For updates since, please see below.
[video]
[video]
For more languages, see here.

For more detailed info about what you can do with MyDrive, please see here. For difference between syncing routes and tracks, please see here (thanks VideoPipeline! :D )

[h3]Tranfer favourites and POIs from old device to a new one[/h3]
Depending on the model of your old device you can also transfer favourites and/or custom POIs from your old device to a new one using MyDrive for the importing part. If your old device is from 2010-2012 and connects to MyDrive Connect, please see this FAQ for retrieving the favourites from it. The below video walks you through the process:
[video]
The below video also walks you through the steps when your old device is one updated with TomTom HOME.
[video]
Update: Now you can filter your search results to show addresses or POIs.

Update 2: Since the software update v15.500 you can also import GPX files with MyDrive to your device. For more information, please see here and here [user manual].

Update 3: Since v1.4.0 of the MyDrive apps you can navigate to contacts. For more information, please see here.

Update 4: Since the software update v15.600 you can now also plan and transfer routes from A to B with stops :D
Click the spoiler for more information.
From the option Plan route, you can plan a route from A to B and once the route is displayed the option to Send route to device is shown. Currently, when syncing A to B routes starting point reverts to GPS position. This will be addressed in a future release of MyDrive.
40add768-7fd1-40d9-bab5-b538b71fa4a1.png

You can add up to 20 stops to your route either by clicking on the + in the main menu (on the left) or by right clicking on the route:
dbef7a02-9dcf-427e-a5a8-f3a55bc02659.png
(It is also possible to add a stop outside the route planned: the route then will be re-calculated including the new stop).

The waypoints are listed on the main menu and also shown on the map with the flag icon:
717899d0-0814-4774-bcb5-c73af48d1c72.png

c6f26a86-ee0c-44c2-85ed-ce6ed46855d4.png

How to remove or re-odrder stops?

You can remove a stop as follows:
- In the main menu click on the x. This clears the content of the field and the x changes into a bin icon. Selecting it removes the field.
- When you click on the flag icon on your route the option Remove Stop is shown.
5c481ed7-0c3b-4a14-af8b-93faf960749b.png

The re-ordening of the stops can by done by drag and drop on the left menu:
caace0d8-a983-42dd-ac22-9cc42ff1be29.png

Update 5: We've released another update to MyDrive bringing some new functionalities, especially for route planning :D
For more information, click the spoiler.
This release brought the following new features:
1. Plan a Thrill
2. A to A (round trip) Planning
3. Save a planned route as track
4. Visualize a saved track on the map
5. Rename tracks and favorites
ee8e1c5c-ae83-480f-9e92-5f469a527f71.png
Please note, that Thrill routes can only be synced to a Rider 4x0/40 device.

Update 6: Since v1.10 of GO Mobile for Android you can also sync destinations, including POIs, with MyDrive.

Update 7: Since software v16.201 some new features are available in MyDrive:
  • Truck routing: it's now possible to plan truck routes and sync them with the Trucker 5000/6000/500 devices.
  • Possibility to choose 3 levels of hilliness and windiness for Thrill routes
  • Export Track as a GPX file from device to MyDrive
  • Link to Mapshare Reporter (on the button right corner)
Truck routing:
In MyDrive, you can now select Truck as your vehicle profile:
9b55c984-2296-45fa-a2b9-73c01a393036.png
421d17b8-b357-4088-a841-4ea1e83a48f1.png

When using MyDrive you can now choose from 3 levels of hilliness and windiness when planning a roundtrip or a thrilling route:
cfbc0329-8214-4b34-b29c-5c158d4ac772.png
Update 8: The following new features are now available:
  • Show alternatives routes
  • GPX file download
  • URL sharing
For more information, please click the spoiler.
Alternative routes: when planning a route from A to B we will show 2 extra alternative routes:
86300eb9-e2cc-49b6-9ff4-3c42ed13c125.png
GPX file dowload: You can now download the GPX files and save them on your computer:
4424aae4-ca59-4a7e-894f-b30add20a53b.png
URL sharing: when searching for a location or planning a route, the data are be set in the URL, so that the location/route planned can be shared.
aa813b4f-c4b6-4e5e-9f3f-e6ba8a582fb1.png
Update 9: The following new features are now available:
  • Route Drag & Drop
  • Add a planned route to My Routes
  • Export a planned route as GPX
For more information, please click the spoiler.
The route drag & drop: You can now edit your route by dragging and dropping:
147e8df0-0397-417a-b762-1b0d4b0a1c61.png

Add a planned route to MyRoutes and Export a planned route as GPX.
After a route is planned, 2 new icons are added in order either to eport the route as GPX file or add the route to MyRoutes.
f38e77ab-7338-4d1b-912b-40ee3e958628.png

A minor improvement has also been introduced: It is possible to edit now the names of the My Places:
17e94968-fb19-4282-8dc6-b2826d9d890f.png

Update 10: You can now view and print route directions as text by clicking the Show directions button in the route planning window.
Click the spoiler for more information
d61bb6e8-d53e-4aaf-af61-56cc0c25797e.png

Update 11: Since v1.9.0 of the MyDrive app for Android and iPhone you can now plan A to B routes, revert routes and view alternative routes also with the apps.

Update 12: You can now import and edit tracks from the TomTom Road Trips website and add the to your device. For more information see here or click the spoiler.
The following improvements were made in this MyDrive update:
  • Edit saved tracks (only tracks created after the update)
  • Motorcycle as vehicle type in route planning
  • You can now pitch and bear the map by holding down the right button of your mouse
  • You can now see TomTom Traffic Flow information on the map

Update 13: The search on MyDrive has been improved.
The following improvements were made:
  • Single list of search results
  • Results are more relevant
  • Icons are improved (no more black flags without context on the map)
  • Deals much better with misspelling
  • Fast results
f7ec4e26-38ff-487d-a493-b86326654ee5.png

[h3]Additional tips[/h3]
User YamFazMan has posted this excellent guide on how to created POI categories with the help of the Tyre program.

Here's YamFazMan's instructions for importing GPX and ITN tracks and routes via a memory card to a GO, VIA or Start device. With Rider 4x0/40 this can also be done via USB [user manual].

Here's another one from YamFazMan about saving, editing and syncing routes and tracks since the Road Trips update (12).

See also his tips below for syncing between several devices and planning itineraries on PC.

[h2]Compatibility[/h2]
The syncing features of MyDrive are currently compatible with GO and START 4x, 5x, 6x series / GO 400, 5x0, 6x0 / 5x00, 6x00 / Trucker 5000, 6000 as well as Rider 40/4x0 devices with software version v15.202 or higher. The other features are available for everyone by visiting mydrive.tomtom.com.

The minimum OS version required for the MyDrive apps are:

iPhone: iOS 7.1 and up
Android: 2.3.3 and up

Please note, that the language of the app is the same as you OS's language. The units used depend on the region of your OS.

Note: Start devices need to be connected to your computer with a USB cable as they don't support internet connection.

If you have an older device model, please see here for managing community content on your device.

[h2]Troubleshooting tips[/h2]
Here are some troubleshooting tips in case you run into issues syncing destinations with MyDrive. First, I'd recommend you to check

Problems when synchronising destinations or places from the MyDrive mobile app or website

[h3]Nothing happens when clicking Send to device[/h3]

Make sure that you're logged into the same MyDrive account on your device and in MyDrive (app). Please, see here for more advice.

Please note, that currently the TomTom Services and MyDrive logins are the same. To change your logins you'll need to factory reset your device. To factor reset your device choose Settings (cog wheel) - System - Reset - Reset. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

[h3]Cannot sync POIs[/h3]
In addition to the above mentioned logins the following requirements need to be met to sync POIs.
  • There needs to be a minimum of 400 MB free memory on the device. You can find the amount of free memory on the About page.
  • Maximum size for the .ov2 file is 2 MB.
Factory resetting your device (see above) frees up some space in some cases as it removes the MapShare Corrections from your device.

One reason for failing to sync a POI file may also be a corrupt or incompatible file. You might try to reconvert your file with a third party tool. User YamFazMan has provided this tip you might find useful.

Your firewall and/or anti-virus program may also cause problems importing files (Thanks to Loludis, for sharing this tip!).

[h3]MyDrive (app) shows my location wrong[/h3]
MyDrive gets your location from the IP address from your computer. IP addresses don't always correspond to physical addresses/locations due to various reasons. For reference you can check the location information based on your IP address here.

MyDrive app gets your location information from the location services of your device. You'll need to enable GPS on your device and possibly give permission to the MyDrive app to use the location information.

When MyDrive cannot pull your location information it defaults to the capital of the country of the web site you're on (see the flag on the upper right hand corner). Sometimes this might just take a few seconds. Should this not happen in half a minute you might try refreshing the page.

I hope this helps.

Drive safe! :D

Cheers, Mikko

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Updated with an improvement on the search in MyDrive.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,375 Superusers
    Hi
    How to set up your Tomtom MyDrive Cloud Account/s on your NAV4 Devices : See.....

Users with Multiple NAV4 Devices have two options when setting up their MyDive "Cloud Account" on the device.....

(A)….. Non-Unified > One global MyDrive cloud account across all NAV4 devices
    The user only has to load the POI’s/Favorites once to the single global Cloud Account, the POI’s/Favorites will sync across all the NAV4 devices

(B)………….. Unified > One MyDrive cloud account for each NAV4 device, each device has a separate (Private) cloud account
    The user is required to load the POI’s/Favorites to each Cloud Account

Set up methods…..
    (Setup A)….. One global cloud account across all NAV4 devices
    1. With MyDrive running on the Taskbar... Connect your device to your PC
    2. Factory reset your device (settings > system > reset)
    3. Follow on screen instructions up to the question Activate Services in the first set up
    choose SKIP
    4. Go to TomTom Services Icon in main menu
    4a. You will now be offered a login screen where you can enter your Cloud and Live Services account Password/Email details
    4.1a. On your device FIRST enter your Cloud account Password/Email ….. See Note[1]

Disconnect device from your PC...

4.1b.Go to the TomTom Services Icon in main menu
    Enter your MyDrive connect/Live services account Password/Email details

Note[1]….. Login using the same Cloud Password/Email details for all your NAV4 devices
    __________________________________________________ _

(Setup B)….. One Account for each NAV4 device has a separate (Private) cloud account
    1. With MyDrive running on the Taskbar...Connect your device to your computer
    2. Factory reset your device (settings > system > reset)
    3. Follow on screen instructions up to the question Activate Services in the first set up
    choose Activate

Disconnect device from your PC

4. Go to TomTom Services Icon in main menu
    4a. You will now be offered a login screen where you can only enter your Tomtom Services account Password/Email
    5. Enter your MyDrive connect/Live services account Password/Email details

ATB YFM
    Thanks for sharing , YFM! I added a link to the FAQ :D

I also added a mention about the MyDrive app language and units.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi

Remote Itinerary planning on your PC

Download the Free Tyre to Travel..... http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/

With the latest Free version of Tyre you can compile a route on your PC, as a .ITN file (Itinerary file) and save it to you desktop as a .GPX file, then transfer the .GPX file to your NAV4 device using MyDrive

Tyre To Travel uses the large screen on your PC to view the maps, it easier than to scrolling around the screen of your Tomtom GO to find your waypoints (Stops)

If you use some naming system similar to…...

(1).....While you are planning your route in Tyre, edit the names of your waypoints so they each waypoint has a unique name, I just add the 01stop "02stop", "03stop" etc. as a prefix to the Name offered by Tyre

(2)..... After you have planned your route using Tyre and you are happy with the result go to the 'File Menu' in Tyre click on 'Convert to a Tomtom Itinerary file at the popup window answer 'Yes'
    160b913b-6c01-4329-9ce3-67661a6e812b.png
    Tyre generated .ITN file
    60a2e01c-eac1-4748-8515-e3e10bc44359.png

5669c575-347b-43f7-bdf5-6323913d5c37.png
    (3)..... From the File Menu in Tyre click on "Save as" choose a name for your GPX-Route/Track
    Next select .GPX > save the file to your desktop

Note: Saving a file is the only way I have found to give the file the name you want rather than the default name, Its also handy to have a backup of the Route/Track on your PC

Load and log into MyDrive
    Direct Web Address Here.....
    https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/

Tomtom video "How to use MyDrive"
    [video]

Use this menu in MyDrive to Install .GPX Files
    da06e525-d9ae-4be7-9b09-a9f898ddf10f.png
    ATB YFM
    Thanks again, YFM! I added this to the above FAQ as well :D

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi
    If your like me and prefer to click on the Map instead of typing the addresses into boxes
    You'll also find you can’t cut and paste Addresses from the Map, so getting the Address text from the Map into the address boxes is tricky
    I use this workaround.....
    Try.....
    (1)….. Search the Map for your location > Left Click on the location, the menu window opens
    Left Click and drag the mouse pointer over the address text and highlight the text
    (2)….. Release the mouse button
    (3)….. Left Click again on the highlighted text and drag the text to the empty address box
    (4)….. Important > Position the mouse pointer on the right-hand side of the addresses text in the box and “Click the mouse” (This re-enables the cursor)
    (5)….. Important > Now Press (Return) on your PC keyboard
    (6)….. My Drive plans the route

You can use this method for the Route Start, Route Destination or Stops

Note…..
    When you highlight the text it must be showing a proper Address and not…..
    Unnamed road
    Somewhere Someplace

ATB YFM
  • BrAtKoBrAtKo Posts: 73 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hello there. Do you plan to add the support of winding and hilly roads to trip planing into my drive maps web ? I would like to plan my trip from computer instead directly on Rider. Thanks.
    Hi BrAtKo,

I'm not sure whether that's being planned but I'll log this as a request for the product team :D

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers, Mikko
  • mckinlbmckinlb Posts: 31 [Master Explorer]
    Remote Itinerary planning on your PC

Hi, followed the instructions above to load up an itinerary via mydrive to my 5100, all went as described and route now in my 5100. But, the waypoints do not show on the route when loaded, just the route start and finish, is this as designed or is there a way of seeing the waypoints on the route?
    Hi all,

We just released an update to MyDrive bringing some more features :D Please, see Update 5 in the main post above.

Cheers, Mikko
  • ajcuk3ajcuk3 Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Just what I've been waiting for. Can now compose routes in MyDrive and have the option of windy roads and save the routes to my TT6100. But if on a trip and decide to depart off the main route for something more fun to drive (windy roads) I will need a laptop with me as TT6100 does not yet have the windy roads option yet.
  • ajcuk3ajcuk3 Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    ajcuk3 wrote:
    Just what I've been waiting for. Can now compose routes in MyDrive and have the option of windy roads and save the routes to my TT6100. But if on a trip and decide to depart off the main route for something more fun to drive (windy roads) I will need a laptop with me as TT6100 does not yet have the windy roads option yet.

Celebrated too soon. It appears that the "Send Track to My Routes" does not work for the TT6100. ("file not recognised" report comes up if you try. Presumably this feature is only for TTRider. Can anyone confirm this?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,444 Superuser
    Hi ajcuk3

Send Tracks to My Routes from My Drive works on my Go5000 so would be surprised if it shouldn't work on yours.

What I cannot do is having created a route on the unit itself and saved it to My Routes I cannot then export it to My Drive so that it can be restored if I have to do a full reset which would result in me losing the saved unit generated and saved Tracks.
  • skier3000skier3000 Posts: 43 [Legendary Explorer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    [h3]Cannot sync POIs[/h3]
    In addition to the above mentioned logins the following requirements need to be met to sync POIs.
    • There needs to be a minimum of 400 MB free memory on the device. You can find the amount of free memory on the About page.
    • Maximum size for the .ov2 file is 2 MB.
    Minimum 400MB of free memory to sync 2MB file? Are you serious?
  • DMC314159DMC314159 Posts: 45 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I have a TT6100 and a Mac and am sitting in Australia with UK map active and the Australian map loaded but inactive.
    MyDrive-Connect is reporting the TT6100 as a TT6000

I am trying to plan some multi stop trips in late May-June.
    I am able to use MyDrive to set up and send places to the TT.
    I can plan routes in MyDrive just fine, but sending them to the TT is very hit and miss.
    Sometimes the start point is in London and the rest of the route is fine so I can fix it on the TT.
    Some times the TT does not get any route and just jumps back to my location shown on a greyed out Australian map.
    Some times the TT pointer is shown against an olive back ground and just seems to be lost.

The only reliable path I have found is to:
    1. Use My MyDrive to create places for each start and point, plus any way points needed to get the required route.
    2. Send each of those point to the TT.
    3. Use the TT to build the route from scratch and save as in My Routes.

Pointers on how to reliably use MyDrive and my TT6100 much appreciated.
    David Carroll
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,203 Superusers
    Watch this video:

Hi
    Welcome to the site.....
    I dont use the Geo-location that's offered at the MyDrive Route planner start-up, I just enter my own postcode (Or the post code/Address of where I want the route to start)
    when your using the MyDrive Route planner I find its best to plan Start > Finish... Then add Stop > Stop > Stop > Stop > Stop > Stop > Etc....There is a Maximum of 20 stops per route with the MyDrive Route planner

your like me and prefer to click on the Map instead of typing the addresses into boxes : See.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/faq-what-mydrive-and-what-can-i-do-with-it-990620?postid=1060422

You can now load/share routes via a MicoSDHC Card......
    So you can use the MyRoute App....
    https://www.myrouteapp.com/
    There is the free version that uses Google maps and the subscription (Gold) that uses Tomtom Maps plus many extra features

There is also the free Tyre to Travel (Google Maps)
    http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    See.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/faq-what-mydrive-and-what-can-i-do-with-it-990620?postid=1046990

You can load .GPX (Track) files via the MyDrive Route planner
    You can load .ITN route files and .GPX (Track) files via a MicoSDHC Card

ATB YFM
    Thanks DHN,
    Sadly the video does not answer my problems.
    I can already transfer places reliably from MyDrive to the TT6100
    I can sometimes transfer transfer routes as well, but my current location not matching the start of the planned route seems to be breaking the process.
    David
    Thanks YamFazMan,
    Current version of MyDrive has an "Add Stop" option at the top of an point you click on the map while you are planning routes.
    My problem isn't planning or adding points to a route inside MyDrive.
    It is getting a route to go from MyDrive on a Mac to my TT6100 reliable, and especially when my current location doesn't match the start of the planned route.

I take your point that I might be up for using MyRoute or Tyres but the Windows 10 WiFi drives are dodgy for my machine and keep dropping the internet connection. MyRoutes or Tyres are a real setup for pre-planning our trip, I can run the laptop on a wired connection, but that won't work reliably while we are traveling.

Thanks
    David
    Hi
    I've been testing further today.....
    I appears you can only send a route direct to the device if you have a Map installed that matches the planned route ( I received a spoken error message something like "Map not installed")

But... if you save a route to MyRoutes menu on the MyDriveRoute planner the route is saved AND synced with MyRoutes on your device
    I planned a route from Ayres Rock to Philip Island race circuit..
    7e10ca22-2466-4e0a-86fd-b70cc32ba18b.png
    b4f5d071-3977-420a-af8d-b62b2b3dafaf.jpg

Note..... I haven't got the Oz Map installed on my GO 5000

ATB YFM
  • etepetep Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    i bought a go 6100 yesterday an ive spent a day and half trying get it take a route that i want to go but it wont let me, ive tried aviod and alternate route and it totally ignores me, i had a little success using a stop and forcing it to use the route i wanted but would hav to use several of them which seems stupid to me when my 8 yr old one lets me move a maker on to a road and immediatly recalculates simply. im at the moment preparing to throw myself off a cliff out of frustration but before i do..... if i sell this will the next poor owner lose the rights lifetime maps, traffic and cameras or 2nd option take it back to store and upgrade to the trucker version if they let me.
    Hi

Try.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/faq-what-mydrive-and-what-can-i-do-with-it-990620?postid=1046990
    A .GPX (Track) file will follow your route

The lifetime Maps etc.... are linked to the device, they can be transfer to the new owner... Contact Tomtom User Support.....
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact/p/2986

ATB YFM
    Hi etep,
    Sadly YamFazMan seems to be correct when he says you need to use third party software to sent routes to a TomTom.
    I have been trying for days to get MyDrive to send routes to my TT6100 reliably.
    Today I easily:
    1. Created a route using a free copy of MyRoute as YamFazMan suggested and saved the route as a .GPX file,
    2. Used MyDrive's My Route option to import the file to the TT6100,
    3. Found the route marked as a route and as a track under My Routes on the TT6100.

Hi YamFazMan,
    Thank you for your support and encouragement with this issue.

Hi Mikko,
    As a member of staff, thank you for taking the time to keep an eye on the forum.
    Seven months ago Ziphnor reported the same problem about not being able to plan and transfer routes to a TT with MyDrive
    5 Days ago you pick up me asking about the same problem and directed me to this thread
    Today etep and I still can not use the software provided by TomTom ALONE to perform a major function - pre trip planning and route loading.
    Can you please pass a message back to the developers.
    Can
    MyDrive's Plan Route option please be down graded to clearly state that it can not transfer the routes created to TTs
    or
    preferably upgrade the code behind MyDrive's Plan Route option so the transfers do work.

Davi
    Hi
    @DMC314159
    Did you miss my post Ayres Rock to Philip Island race circuit.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/faq-what-mydrive-and-what-can-i-do-with-it-990620?postid=1081058

Also did you set-up your Cloud Account : See.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/faq-what-mydrive-and-what-can-i-do-with-it-990620?postid=1038485

Before transferring a route you also need to check if your device is connected to the MyDrive Cloud
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    See if the Cloud Icon is displayed screen top right

ATB YFM
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online26

aon1961
aon1961
basile1987
basile1987
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor
Harryh110
Harryh110