Map Quality- Strange Map Error!

John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 556 [Renowned Wayfarer]
edited January 30 in Archived Discussions
Why has TomTom decided to WRONGLY change the names of a lot of "High Streets" to Glebe Close?

So far I've only looked at my local area of Bedfordshire (UK), but most of the "High Streets" have been WRONGLY changed!

As examples:-
Oakley High ST (Beds-UK), Clapham High St (Beds-UK), Stagsden High St (Beds-UK), Bedford High St (Beds-UK), have all be WRONGLY changed to Glebe Close!

Regards,

John-Jay

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,976 Superusers
    Must be a mapping error. Report these via the MSR tool. Link in my signature.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 556 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Surely, since it is affecting quite a few locations, all of which were previously correct, this is a system database error rather than a simple map error?

Hence trying to raise it direct to TomTom!

Regards,

John-Jay

You are right, but at the end of the day, they will need something to start with.
    Zsolt, I fully appreciate your comment.

However,if I only report individual errors, there is a strong possibility that they will ONLY correct the individual error!

Unfortunately I don't have the time to check EVERY high St in the UK!

Regards,

John-Jay

You can report one and then include your original post in that comment. You don't have to report all. Or send a mail to TT CS.
  • EthoZEthoZ Posts: 2,844 [Exalted Navigator]
    Right or wrong? :D

98351641-306c-4608-b911-c4b7e5294c61.jpg
    e9b332c6-8197-4214-b0b7-7b2f20236db7.jpg
    Most of those, listed for Bedfordshire, are wrong!

Haven't checked the others!

Regards,

John-Jay

• CatNipCatNip Posts: 477 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Glebe Close, Tattingstone, IP9 2PE - at mapcode TNL.4ST is shown as a Close (off Church Rd.), not a high road on my TomTom.

I have not checked all others.

Postcode PE19 6RS is shown as Adam's Lane, Great Paxton

Postcode MK43 8SQ is identified as Glebe Close, but shown on the map as a stretch of open road, there is a close, Oakroft, off it. One end of the road is Newport Pagnall Road, the other is Bedford Road, with 'Glebe Close' being in between. So that looks funny.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback regarding this issue!

Could you post here all the MapShare Reporter IDs you have concerning this issue. I'll collect them into a ticket for the map team.

Cheers, Mikko
    Greetings, MikkoK,

I've submitted this query via a Map error Report direct from my TomTom for a few of the WRONGLY named High Streets (that had been WRONGLY re-named as Glebe Close). Obviously, because these have been direct from the Device, I don't have IDs for the Reports

However, separately I generated a Report on-line for ONE of the locations (Oakley, Bedfordshire MK43 ), but I added a comment advising that it appears to affect a lot of Bedfordshire High Streets &, also, providing a link to this Forum Discussion!

May I suggest that your Map Team refers to the FIRST Map that EthoZ posted (covering the multiple Bedfordshire High Streets)? I haven't checked all of them but those that I have checked are WRONG!!

In my opinion, because this is a recently introduced Error, covering multiple locations, this is NOT just a simple error but more of a SYSTEMATIC error!

The ID is:- 019081aa-ab79-1033-925e-c363a6198656

Submitted 13 Sep 2015 16:18
    Incorrect name Glebe Close
    Correct name High Street
    Comments
    Please refer to: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-quality-75/strange-map-error-989414/index1.html#post1028960 Most of the High Streets, in Bedfordshire appear to have been WRONGLY re-named to Glebe Close (from the CORRECT name of High Street)!
    Coordinates -0.52717, 52.17217

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

Hi John,

Sorry for my late reply!

Thanks for the info! I've reported this to the map team.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Supertramp33Supertramp33 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Update: - this is still an issue in the Bedfordshire area, I noticed it today. It may be a local issue as I travel in many other areas and have not seen it before.

go6000

Tony
    Hi, Supertramp33,

As far as I can tell this is an issue that bizarrely affects EVERY High Street within Bedfordshire. However, for every other High Street (just outside of the boarder of Bedfordshire - that I've checked), this does NOT seem to be a problem.

This is clearly a "SYstematic-Problem" (there is NO-WAY that TomTom has deliberately made a unilateral change on "Information-Received"), hence there should be NO reason why it shouldn't be corrected at the next Map Revision (although I'm NOT convinced they are really working on it)!

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

• Supertramp33Supertramp33 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks John-Jay, it was a surreal day when every destination involved at least one Gleebe Close.
    Perhaps we can narrow down what devices it affects - as I'm sure if it was widespread there would be much more chatter on the boards about it.
    Mine is a Go 6000 with the U.K. Weighted version of the Europe maps. It fully up to date with all revisions.

Tony
    Hi, Supertramp33,

I have both a Start25 & a Start50 (its on both of those).

Additionally, since TomTom provides the Maps for iPads (etc), I can confirm that these are affected.

Plus, if you use the on-line Route-Planner version of TomTom (which is NOT Device-Specific), that is also affected!

Hence, I think that it is their basic Database that is corrupted!

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

Hi all,

I've got an update about this issue. We have fixed it but, unfortunately, the fix won't be available until the May 2016 release.

Cheers, Mikko
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,370 Superuser
    @Mikko @The GK

Are you telling us the the Q1 (Feb) 2016 map is already frozen?
    I understand that the fix cannot be applied to the imminent November map 9.60 but to wait for version 9.70 is an unacceptable delay. Even if TT is finally implementing NDS this looks like an error correction rather than actual update so should not be delayed
    Sorry, as this clearly is a TomTom Database error, that has been allegedly fixed, I don't see why we should be waiting another 6 months to have our TomToms corrected.

I would also add that, since most High Streets are important places of commerce, that such on-going errors will have a severe detriment to the Businesses located on the affected High Streets.

Hence, I would strongly suggest the this is escalated to TomTom's Senior Management to bring this correction forward ASAP!

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

Hi, CatNip,

Apologies for not replying sooner!

The first 2 locations, which are not in Bedfordshire, appears to be correct.

The 3rd, which is in Stagsden Bedfordshire, is definitely wrong - it is High St Stagsden!

Please note the address of the Royal George Pub Stagsden, which is located on the High Street! (http://www.royalgeorgestagsden.co.uk/)

Regards,

John-Jay

It is disappointing that, apparently, TomTom are not accepting that such a significant "systematic-error" is important to Users (particularly Businesses adversely affected by this error)!

Bearing in mind that it takes "upto 6-9months" to apply a Name-Change (with all the timescales of checking & cross-checking to reported data, before it can be applied), I find it difficult to understand why it is going to take OVER 6months to roll-out the correction - even AFTER the fix has been identified!

Hence, since I did request that this be escalated to TomTom Senior Management to try & increase the priority of this - it is frustrating to note that my request hasn't even been acknowledged!

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

• j_roger_newj_roger_new Posts: 219 [Supreme Navigator]
    Surely this is a database issue, just stick it into the next map share updates file, then repeat the day after the next map roll out. Isn't that supposed to be the benefit of digital over paper mapping, instant updates.
    It is now one month ago that I made the very simple request of this being escalated to Snr TomTom Management, since this is clearly caused by a TomTom error & it should be corrected ASAP (not simply delayed by a further SIX Months). I note that TomTom hasn't even bothered to acknowledge the reasonable request being made!
    :(

Regards,

John-Jay

Hi John,

Have you contacted Customer Service? I can't see any contact history on your TomTom account. If you have already contacted Customer Service, please PM me the incident number of your contact so I can give Customer Service a heads-up.

Please also note, that this is a user forum and Customer Service is the contact point for TomTom.

Cheers, Mikko
    Sorry, Mikko, but I don't understand your comment!

Approx 1 month ago you stated that the problem had been fixed, but that TomTom were going to delay its delivery implementation by another 6 months.

I simply pointed out that this was NOT a simple update but a correction of TomTom's error - hence it was reasonable to expect TomTom to issue this rectification WITHOUT such a delay (particularly as there seemed to be NO justification for the delay).

To date this Forum (which is often frequented by TomTom Staff) hasn't bothered to explain that apparent deliberate delay. Accordingly, I did request that this be escalated to TomTom Snr Management for a further update/clarification/explanation.

As far as I'm concerned the onus is on TomTom to act professionally & NOT wait over a month & come back & ask if I also raised it via Customer Services!!

Yes, I did (as per your request - ID is:- 019081aa-ab79-1033-925e-c363a6198656) put the original query via Customer Services (along with quite a few Bedfordshire people that I know of) over THREE MONTHS AGO, I even quoted to you the applicable reference Number!! However, NO, neither myself (nor any of the others that I mentioned) have had any feedback from Customer Services!

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

Hi John,

I'm sorry but I don't seem to be able to find back that incident number. Would you mind PMing it to me again, please?

Unfortunately, I don't have an explanation for you nor is this a place to provide one. Customer Service might be able to do that for you.

Cheers, Mikko
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online34

Bembo
Bembo
DougLap
DougLap
kumo
kumo
olpe
olpe
TomasK