How exactly do Map Corrections work?

CatNipCatNip Posts: 479 [Renowned Wayfarer]
edited January 30 in Archived Discussions
There are several perplexing and frustrating things about SatNavs, not least of these is how they actually work in practice. I don't mean the GPS aspect, I mean the internal mapping, postcodes, POI etc.

I have a Start 25 and today downloaded the latest v955 UK & RoI maps. Of course, I immediately checked out those 'errors' I know of and was generally disappointed to see that, despite previously having several errors accepted via the Map Share Reporter they were not included. I understand this is not unusual.

But I did notice one thing - on my device I had carried out a small correction to a roadname (From 'May's Lane' to 'Mays Lane') and THIS correction was still in place on my device map.

BUT - is this because it has been corrected on the latest TomTom map? Or is it because this correction (one of those which does show up directly on your own device map) is still being applied locally in my own Start 25?

Then again, which corrections do show up locally on your own device map and which don't but have to go via the TomTom map update - eventually!

I find the whole thing confusing, I am working in the dark. I don't know which local map corrections will or will not show up on my device (unless I correct and it shows up), which need to go via a TomTom map update. And if I correct on my device and it doesn't show up on a later TomTom map update, why not? I don't know if the upload has or has not occurred from my device, I don't know if I should go via the TomTom online Map Share or stick to my device. But even corrections made via the online map and accepted are not in the next release, so once again one is in the dark.

Also, some corrections are quite easy (simple road name change) but some can be tricky - I have one that my device software doesn't seem able to handle - or others can be simple in principle but extremely difficult to enter via the online corrector. e.g. Redevelopment of an estate, involving closing of two existing access roads, closure of a ringroad and opening of an entirely new access road with new postcode.

Comments

• MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,792 Superusers
    Hi, the best thing is to report all issues using the Map Share Reporter tool. Once accepted, they will eventually end up in a new map where also other people get the benefit of your reports. However, it can take up to 6 to 12 months before an accepted report is really implemented into a new map release. So that takes some time.

I am not 100% sure, but I thought that corrections applied directly on the device are not getting carried over to a new map. So that would imply that the correction was actually implemented in that new v955 map. You can check the online Map Share Reporter map to see if that correction is also there (that map shows the current v955 map).

If you have some complex map issues, you could use the 'Other' category in the online reporter tool, and describe the issue in the comments box as detailed as possible.
  • CatNipCatNip Posts: 479 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    CatNip wrote:
    I have a Start 25 and today downloaded the latest v955 UK & RoI maps. Of course, I immediately checked out those 'errors' I know of and was generally disappointed to see that, despite previously having several errors accepted via the Map Share Reporter they were not included. I understand this is not unusual.

But I did notice one thing - on my device I had carried out a small correction to a roadname (From 'May's Lane' to 'Mays Lane') and THIS correction was still in place on my device map.

BUT - is this because it has been corrected on the latest TomTom map? Or is it because this correction (one of those which does show up directly on your own device map) is still being applied locally in my own Start 25?
    BUT, now I notice that while 'Mays Lane' is indeed included on the latest map from TomTom, it now includes the first part of the postcode at the end of the name of the road!

This is not the normal naming convention on TomTom maps, so why in this instance? Where did it come from? Why is it there? Should I now correct the name of this road AGAIN, to remove the (correct) postcode from its name? I should have left it alone!

This is what I mean. We need some technical document that we can refer to that tells us how all this works so we know what is going on.
    So I've edited it on my TomTom only. I'll leave it at that and see what happens.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi CatNip,

Perhaps this post by my colleague in the map team helps you understand the process a bit better. In addition, some changes are easier and quicker to make (and test) than others and therefore might make it to the maps sooner. This article might help you understand the map structure and the process required to make changes in the data.

That being said, if you'd like to learn more about why a specific error you've reported hasn't make it to the maps yet, please post the MapShare Reporter ID here so we can take a look.

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks Mikko.

Do you have any idea of how a roadname could end up with a postcode appended? Mistyping? I have seen other examples of this on the TomTom maps.
    Hi CatNip,

Sorry for my late reply!

Do you have some examples to show?

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi CatNip,

Do you have some examples to show?
    Well, my original example (now edited on my Start 25) was:

"BUT, now I notice that while 'Mays Lane' is indeed included on the latest map from TomTom, it now includes the first part of the postcode at the end of the name of the road!"

Mays Lane can be found at GBR Mapcode BZ.W8C
    Hi CatNip,

Thanks!

Could you report this with MapShare Reporter, please?

If you've already done that, please post the ID so we can check it.

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    Could you report this with MapShare Reporter, please?
    Have just done this, Mikko.

Puzzlingly, on Map Share Reporter it was still showing incorrectly as May's Lane even though this had changed to Mays Lane + Postcode on my last map download, V955. :)

Could this be a side effect of my having previously edited May's Lane to Mays Lane on my Start 25 before the latest map download?
    Mays Lane or May's Lane?

Following update to map v. 960 I've given up on this one. :)

"I fought the law, and the law (aka TomTom) won!"
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online17

kerryp
kerryp
Povilas
Povilas
+15 Guests