Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset - Page 9 — TomTom Community

Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset

Comments

• ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    954dk wrote:
    I do agree, that Tomtom should to something according to your problem, but what you write in #197 about Tomtom/Garmin and about the Danish Customer Board Forbrugerstyrelsen) is rubbish!
    They can only recommend what to do :D

Yes and no. If the "Forbrugerstyrelsen" advise something, the courts will (mostly) follow their advise. But of cause, I would have to take TomTom to the court if the company is not obeying the advise from "Forbrugerstyrelsen". Normally, companies obey. It is not good for business to face a verdict by the court.
  • PanunoPanuno Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    You can add another crackly/hoarse intercom voice to the list.
    Bought my rider 410 last June, and fine for visual directions, but I bought a Sena 20S this week to use the voice instruction function.
    Hooked it up, all working OK, but testing it by wearing the helmet with intercom inside the house - with the Rider 410 held in my hands - the voice is crackly and broken as F***
    So what will this be like at Highway speeds? I shudder to think.
    Incidentally it is NOT bluetoothed to my phone at all - I don't want or intend to use any phone function, just the SatNav instructions and rider to rider intercom.
  • yamfjryamfjr Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    Panuno wrote:
    You can add another crackly/hoarse intercom voice to the list.
    Bought my rider 410 last June, and fine for visual directions, but I bought a Sena 20S this week to use the voice instruction function.
    Hooked it up, all working OK, but testing it by wearing the helmet with intercom inside the house - with the Rider 410 held in my hands - the voice is crackly and broken as F***
    So what will this be like at Highway speeds? I shudder to think.
    Incidentally it is NOT bluetoothed to my phone at all - I don't want or intend to use any phone function, just the SatNav instructions and rider to rider intercom.

Yep the same here! just taken my brand new 410 out for its first ride and I have all the same problems with voice! what galls me is they let you buy this GPS for £Lots! knowing it has had these faults for two years? returning for a full refund i think...
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    #199:
    I'll bet, Tomtom doesn't care :-/

What if Mercedes introduced a new E-Class with malfunctioning brakes or... Bluetooth - just to stay on track?
    They would immediately be seriously focused on solving the issue.

In this case, Tomtom introduced both the C-Class, E-Class, ML, GLA at the same time with an outdated, malfuncional motor from an old type 124 :-D
  • BelgiumRider400BelgiumRider400 Posts: 35 [Apprentice Traveler]
    ThomasGN wrote:
    954dk wrote:
    I do agree, that Tomtom should to something according to your problem, but what you write in #197 about Tomtom/Garmin and about the Danish Customer Board Forbrugerstyrelsen) is rubbish!
    They can only recommend what to do :D

Yes and no. If the "Forbrugerstyrelsen" advise something, the courts will (mostly) follow their advise. But of cause, I would have to take TomTom to the court if the company is not obeying the advise from "Forbrugerstyrelsen". Normally, companies obey. It is not good for business to face a verdict by the court.

That might be the case for you, however, there are a number of countries where the consumer commission is extremely strong and have had a active hand in taking down companies that sell faulty products or have committed fraud. You only need to be selective in choosing the correct countries. Lucky for us there are Riders sold in a few of these countries.
  • PailtonPailton Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I have returned my 410 for a full refund and purchased a Garmin.

Here ends my relationship with TomTom.
  • SBDJSBDJ Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
    MikkoK wrote:
    I'll post back here as soon as I have news about this issue

The only problem with that is the news you give us unfortunately never actually happens. There was a software update due out at the end of last year, then it was early this year and now as we head into Q2 there is no longer any progress or news.

Please don't take this personally; I'm trying not to shoot the messenger.

I've been patient - the audio side of things creates me multiple issues. This means no alerts or voice directions and has led to me not using the unit at all; it's an expensive piece of plastic at the moment. An expensive piece of plastic that started getting misted up on the inside of the screen in the little sun we had a week or so ago too now.

I think I'm going to give the retailer a shout and see what they are willing to do as I suspect the unit will be superseded by a new model before we get a fix and then we'll all be out of luck...
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi SBDJ,

A while ago the product team indeed informed me that they would address this issue in the (then) next software update. Unfortunately, it later turned out that it wasn't possible to address it then.

I do appreciate the patience of many of you here and I'm doing my best to get more information for you about this issue. And I'll keep at it until we get some answers here.

It sounds like there's some condensation in your device. Please, report that to Customer Service as your device my require servicing.

Cheers, Mikko
  • WaldemarCZWaldemarCZ Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello guys, hello MikkoK,

I think lot of people here run out of their patience. So did I, I just called to the retailer and described the issue. Standard reclamation process will start and at the end, full refund expected. I think it is impossible to repair for local service centers, when TomTom's SW engineers are not able to fix it for almost 2 years.
    I didn't expected that my first experience with TT would be the last one, it makes me sad. I think R&D should read Lisbon treaty about Consumer protection in EU sometimes. It could prevent such dissatisfaction with TTR 4xx product line. If they are aware of that, whould they release this to the market?
    I plan trip around Caucasus mountains, Ararat, and Iran this year, but sadly without TTR. It is better to watch the road and listen/hear voice commands from another manufacturer's GPS, then watch tomtom's GPS and not the road. Thats quite dangerous, isn't it?

Farewell everyone, I think this is my last reply. :-/

WaldemarCZ
    I also contacted my retailer, however they have just referred me to deal with TomTom instead.

I've tried to explain that TomTom are unable to fix the fault and that the fault has been there since purchase.

Perhaps TomTom could provide something I can give to the retailer to say 'Yes, we are aware there is an issue which prevents some of the major functionality of the unit from working and we cannot fix it, please refund this customer.' That would at least show some level of customer care and at least mean I may consider a TomTom unit again in the future.
    So my retailer contacted TomTom who have denied all knowledge of this fault. Going to call TomTom myself now...
    Thankfully TomTom have now acknowledged this fault on the phone to me, however the response from their technical team was that they have no update on the issue and no ETA on a fix.

I strongly suspect this will never get fixed now :/

Given that the unit does not function as advertised, I find myself thinking I should just get my money back and consider repurchasing when (if) TomTom actually fix this. Having had the unit over a year makes that a lot harder but given that TomTom have acknowledged there is a known issue and that hardware replacement won't fix it means that consumer law should cover this.
    Sadly, TomTom has the opinion that this issue is not important enough to address (read MikkoK comments further up).

Perhaps the return and money back situation can change that. I give my GPS a month or so. If TomTom has not dealt with the problem then, I too will return the devise. Enough is enough.
    Have been testing my "new" TomTom Rider 400 GPS the last couple of days. The GPS was returned because of water behind the screen and a new one was received from TomTom. The new one is fully updated to the newest software and maps and I have been driving around testing it. Both with Bluetooth Data connection turned on and off. Unfortunately, the problem with a hoarse voice is still there - even without data connection. Just to have the iPhone connected to the GPS automatically lead to a hoarse voice. Also when using the phone for calls. I have lost count of the times I have done a full reset as recommended by TomTom. Nothing helps. And my setup (headset, phone) is still on the list that TomTom has approved.

This was the last straw and I have just contacted TomTom costumers service for a full return of my money including the original lock and purse. I am not interested in a GPS that cannot be used with a headset on a bike.

Will keep you updated......
    Have not heard anything from TomTom. They promised to return after maximum two days with an answer but I am still waiting......
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,472 Moderator
    ThomasGN wrote:
    Have not heard anything from TomTom. They promised to return after maximum two days with an answer but I am still waiting......

I have sent a heads up to the customer service, so you should receive a response from them soon.

Regards
    Vikram
    Thank you, Vikram
    You can put Nolan B3 on the "Hoarse Voice list". My old Bluetooth 3 Kit was OK.

My Rider is bought August 2016.
    How did you claim your money back ThomasGN?
    Hi 954dk. I have emailed TomTom. As they did not answer, I phoned them today. They started with telling me that my GPS is to old to get a refund. I replied that TomTom issued me a new GPS in January because of steam behind the screen on the old on and that reset the guarantee. That is the law in EU. Then TomTom told me that a supervisor needed to be contacted. That is fine with me as long as I get my money back. I am so done with the Rider 400 GPS. It should never have been on the market in the first place.
    Hi ThomasGN and thanks for feed-back :-)

In addition to your kind answer:
    In Denmark you allways have 2 years warranty on replaced parts and 5 (FIVE) years guarantee on repaired parts ;-)
    Right, 954dk. We have 1/2 year guarantee and 1 1/2 year of reclamation period. That is regulated by EU. But as the vocal error is a known bug, the guarantee period can be prolonged. TomTom has to give me a refund as they cannot repair the device. That is the law.
    I do agree ThomasGN.
    Both the 2 yeays warranty / 5 years guaranty mentioned in #218 is when replaced or repaired and in ADDITION to the normal 6 months guarantee + 18 months warranty.

The 2 years guarantee is, if the screen is replaced and 5 years when a plug is soldered :)
    warranty (reklamationsret in Danish).
    TomTom has asked me for bank infirmation. It looks like I am getting a refund.
  • BliejeBlieje Posts: 90 [Master Explorer]
    On my Rider I found out only the second part of a voice direction is bad.

Ga rechtdoor op de rotonde is ok. Then when you approach the roundabout the direction will be: "Ga rechtdoor op de rotonde, tweede afslag". In this case "tweede afslag" sounds bad. Another example: Na 100 meter ga rechtsaf, daarna ga de snelweg op. In this case "daarna ga de snelweg op" sounds bad.

It's like they use two different routines to give the voice directions.
    TomTom has just returned with an answer to my pledge about getting my money back from the Rider 400 because of the hoarse voice issue. TomTom will give me a full return. Great.

This end my troublesome adventure with TomTom. I will not return!

Take care out there and have some nice touring vacations....