Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset - Page 8 — TomTom Community

Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset

168101112

Comments

  • SBDJSBDJ Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Since we are still waiting on this update, and it doesn't seem to be something TomTom can fix easily how about a workaround?

    Use the existing bluetooth network connection between TomTom and the phone to pass the absolutely tiny amount of data required for the speech in data form and make use of an app on the phone to provide the TTS. One single bluetooth connection needed, no multipoint pairing and no problem with the bluetooth messing up the speech quality.

    Yes, it requires an app (albeit a very simple one) but it would be a nice quick and clean solution IMHO. You don't even have to create the app, just provide the communication protocol :)
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    SBDJ wrote:
    Since we are still waiting on this update, and it doesn't seem to be something TomTom can fix easily how about a workaround?

    Use the existing bluetooth network connection between TomTom and the phone to pass the absolutely tiny amount of data required for the speech in data form and make use of an app on the phone to provide the TTS. One single bluetooth connection needed, no multipoint pairing and no problem with the bluetooth messing up the speech quality.

    Yes, it requires an app (albeit a very simple one) but it would be a nice quick and clean solution IMHO. You don't even have to create the app, just provide the communication protocol :)

    Brilliant idea!
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I started this topic on the 24 July 2015. After nearly two years, TomTom has still done nothing to solve the problem. I advise anybody who want the use the Bluetooth features on the GPS to look elsewhere. This expensive device is not really supported by TomTom. Especially not if changes in the software are only going to help motorcycle riders. So sad.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Thomas,

    I understand your disappointment and appreciate your patience so far! I also understand that it might look like nothing has been done as there hasn't been improvement to this. However, I can assure you that a lot of effort has been put into finding a solution to this. Unfortunately, the issue is very complicated but - luckily - doesn't affect the majority of our customers.

    We're very sorry for those suffering of this issue, but I'm afraid there's no quick solution in sight at the moment. I'll post back here as soon as I have news about this issue.

    Cheers, Mikko
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Hi MikkoK

    I just wonder. How long did it take for TomTom to invent the GPS in the first place? If it takes more that two years to correct a small problem, the GPS must have taken, what, 15-20 years to develop? That is just plain rubbish.
    Could you please tell me what costumers are not affected if they want to use the features on the GPS - including a clear, vocal voice and traffic update?

    Two things spring into my mind:
    1) The development team should get their act together or TomTom should sack them all. No error on a device should take this long to solve.
    2) TomTom is hiding that the device is faulty and will never work as promised in commercials and on the cardboard box following the device.

    No matter what, us, the costumers, are left in the woods and TomTom should - if you consider yourself as a trustworthy company - return the money or replace the GPS with one that works. All other suggestions are just smoke and mirrors to keep the costumers money and hiding the truth.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Thomas,

    What I tried to convey is exactly the point that this is not a "small problem" and therefore a solution hasn't been found yet.

    I don't have numbers to tell you but already reading this forum you can see that not everyone is suffering from this issue. Otherwise we'd see many more complaints. This of course doesn't make it any better for those who do have this issue, but unfortunately it does effect the amount of resources we can put into this.

    As said, I do understand your frustration and I'm very sorry that there's little more we can do for you at this point, especially since we've already replaced your device once. This being said, I'll keep bringing this up internally whenever I get the chance and hopefully we'll get a solution soon.

    Cheers, Mikko
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi Thomas,

    What I tried to convey is exactly the point that this is not a "small problem" and therefore a solution hasn't been found yet.

    I don't have numbers to tell you but already reading this forum you can see that not everyone is suffering from this issue. Otherwise we'd see many more complaints. This of course doesn't make it any better for those who do have this issue, but unfortunately it does effect the amount of resources we can put into this.

    As said, I do understand your frustration and I'm very sorry that there's little more we can do for you at this point, especially since we've already replaced your device once. This being said, I'll keep bringing this up internally whenever I get the chance and hopefully we'll get a solution soon.

    Cheers, Mikko

    Hi Mikko

    What you are really saying is that users that do not use all the Bluetooth features (which is TomToms main feature) are not having problems - and that TomTom see the problem as marginal because not enough have complained. That is so sad. TomTom has a problem with the device but is still selling it without warning new buyers about problems if they want to use the GPS as intended: Connected to a headset for vocal directions and connected to a smartphone to get traffic updates.

    Why my replacement of a device with another error (water behind the screen) is being brought to the table is beyond me....?

    Regards
    Thomas
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Thomas,

    Again I don't have hard evidence for you but I doubt that majority of Rider 400/40 users would not use all the features of their devices. TomTom Traffic and voice instructions through headset are in my view some of the main features and functionalities of this device.

    I know that your device was replaced for a different reason. However, changing it again for another reason is, unfortunately, unlikely to bring improvement. That being said, Customer Service makes that kind of decisions and you might ask them. As there is little else we can do they might be willing to do that for you.

    Cheers, Mikko
  • PailtonPailton Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Oh dear, having just purchased a Rider 410, Sena 20s (TT recommended) to now discover the problem I'm experiencing has been known about for such a long time has deeply concerned me. I will get in touch with customer services to discuss the way forward. Must admit expected better from Tom Tom.
  • TenCatsTenCats Posts: 29 [Master Explorer]
    I must say that I haven't encountered this problem at all even though I'm using both voice instructions, phone and traffic, with a connected Samsung S6 Edge (Bluetooth Tethering) and a Sena SMH5. Both items are connected to my Rider 40. To my humble opinion it is the combination of the various items that might cause the problem. I know that it really sucks when you have this problem, but did you guys try any other combination? I also do not believe TomTom can guarantee that ALL possible combinations of all available brands will work as you would need a full global standardization of -for example- bluetooth technology.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 754
    Superuser
    TenCats, what's your network speed? 4G, 3G, GPRS? I guess 4G.

    Can you try the slower connections and tell us the result?

    Thank you!
  • TenCatsTenCats Posts: 29 [Master Explorer]
    My network speed is indeed set to 4G, but whatever I encounter during my trips is a different story as 4G isn't available at all times. And I haven't noticed any perculiar sounds. Next trip I'll reduce the networksettings on my phone to see if that has any effect.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 754
    Superuser
    It's probable that a high speed connection may mask the problem. The less the time needed to transfer the data, the less the chances to notice it...

    You don't need to do a trip to test it. You may play a route in current route menu...
  • Kim BachKim Bach Posts: 3 [Novice Seeker]
    I have the same issues with the rider 410 and the SENA 20s ,,
    I'm really giving up on Tom Tom as my navigator ,,,, , I can't hear music from my phone either,,
    Any one who wants to buy this shit ?
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    TenCat. If you bothered to read the thread, you would know that I have a setup that is approved by TomTom: iPhone, Schubert SRS headset, and the GPS. Nothing exotic.

    And the setup is still approved by TomTom even though is doesn't work - and TomTom has known that for two years!
  • TenCatsTenCats Posts: 29 [Master Explorer]
    Sorry, but I simply won't read about 8 pages of identical posts. And for me an iPhone is exotic. :cool:
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    TenCats wrote:
    Sorry, but I simply won't read about 8 pages of identical posts. And for me an iPhone is exotic. :cool:

    I see. So you think it is better for all of us to read your irrelevant posting than for you to join the thread? Interesting!
    If a smartphone is exotic for you I wonder if you know how to turn on your GPS..... :cool:
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    The problem with hoarse voice is still not addressed. ThomasGN - thanks for your engagement.

    We don't know if Tomtom is able to solve it.
    We don't know if Tomtom is even going to find the solution.

    MikkoK - how long you will force us to wait for clear information?

    Otherwise could be only one conclusion: it's hardware related problem. Can't be addressed. Tomtom is playing on time until warranty is gone.
  • PailtonPailton Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Actually on that point "eldawido" I have a brand new unit faulting in this way, the unit is clearly not fit for purpose as it is not able to perform as advertised thus breaking statutory rights.

    MikkoK could you answer these questions please?

    I have raised a case with Customer Support to escalate the issue but how long should I give before asking for a full refund? I am going on a 2k mile trip around Europe at the end of May and will obviously want the issue resolved before then.

    Should I go back to the retailer I purchased the unit from or do I deal directly with Tom Tom for a refund?
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

    I understand your frustration about this. As mentioned above, I've been - and am - doing what I can here to get clarity this issue. However, I can only communicate here based on the information I have, but I can't go much into the technical details of the issue.

    I'll post back here as soon as I have news about this issue.

    Cheers, Mikko
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

    I understand your frustration about this. As mentioned above, I've been - and am - doing what I can here to get clarity this issue. However, I can only communicate here based on the information I have, but I can't go much into the technical details of the issue.

    I'll post back here as soon as I have news about this issue.

    Cheers, Mikko

    Hi Mikko

    You do realise that you said the same thing more than a year ago? And that you have yet to tell us anything?

    Fortunately, this thread can be used to reclaim a full refund as TomTom admit the problem. According to EU legislation, the refund is possible even after the warranty of the GPS has expired because the error was known by TomTom within the warranty period.
  • whyhaveonewhyhaveone Posts: 55 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Has someone got a copy of this thread - just in case? :(
  • PailtonPailton Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Hi Folks
    I contacted Customer Support as my unit has 2 faults, this being one of them. I asked them to either send me a fully functional unit or a full refund. TomTom's response was disappointing to say the least.

    They basically said they were still working on solving the issues and had no date when they would be resolved, also that no unit was guaranteed to work as they have advertised so it was pointless sending me another one, I have now contacted the retailer where I purchased it from for a full refund.

    Is this not fraud? false advertising or something like that?
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Pailton wrote:
    Hi Folks
    I contacted Customer Support as my unit has 2 faults, this being one of them. I asked them to either send me a fully functional unit or a full refund. TomTom's response was disappointing to say the least.

    They basically said they were still working on solving the issues and had no date when they would be resolved, also that no unit was guaranteed to work as they have advertised so it was pointless sending me another one, I have now contacted the retailer where I purchased it from for a full refund.

    Is this not fraud? false advertising or something like that?

    TomTom's customer support is actually quite good. Never a problem there. I suppose that a full reclaim must go through the local seller (or the internet seller). If they are not willing to help you, I am sure that TomTom can.

    TomTom is not that big in Denmark. We are Garmin country, so our national authorities have not discovered the problem yet. If I made a complaint to the Danish Customer Board, as it is called, they would take this thread into account and possible force TomTom to take the GPS off the market until it does as promised - and give all customers a full refund.

    I am that close to do that after two years of waiting on TomTom to do something. But I kind of like the GPS. If just the hoarse voice problem were solved......
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    I do agree, that Tomtom should to something according to your problem, but what you write in #197 about Tomtom/Garmin and about the Danish Customer Board Forbrugerstyrelsen) is rubbish!
    They can only recommend what to do :D

    I really hope, that the problem will be solved :)
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online in this Category0