Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset - Page 7 — TomTom Community

Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Jason,

Unfortunately, not really. We're now at 16.2 so there's a couple of releases in between. 16.5 is one of the last releases this year, but I don't have any more precise time table to give you.

Anyhow, I'll keep you posted about this whenever I get new information regarding this issue.

Cheers, Mikko
  • basixbasix Posts: 486
    Superuser
    16.5 will probably be released by November if I interpret the release numbers like they were on the (20)15 releases. (6 major releases per year)
    If I look at the 16.x releases, I can see a difference in pattern, 4 major releases, we are on the second right now. If 16.5 will exist, it will then probably be January or February 2017 at this pace. Anyhow, excited to hear that external help was called in to assist on providing a real solution to this annoying data connection problem.

Mikko, Thanks for the updates and your patience with us angry people ;)

I'm really hoping in advancements in other areas as well so that this piece of rather decent hardware finally becomes what it should have been from the beginning.

Cheers
    Hi basix,

I'm glad to be of assistance! :D

I very well understand the frustration when there are longer standing issues like this that prevent using the product to the full. I'm glad we could get this a bit more specific message out there for you folks and hopefully we'll be able to provide some more information soon as well :D I'll keep you posted!

Cheers, Mikko
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I notice the hoarse voice even without traffic data. But when traffic data is on, the voice is much worse.

Will Tomtom assure us that this problem will be finally solved?
    It looks now as a temporise to get rid of warranty claims.
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    eldawido wrote:
    It looks now as a temporise to get rid of warranty claims.

Looks like it. TomTom has known about the problem for over a year - and now they say, that it will be solved in a future software release. Just to keep us waiting even further - and the warranty clicks away....
  • Jason_GowerJason_Gower Posts: 95 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    My warranty clicked away and then ended.. :(

I will not be buying another Tomtom when they are first released, if ever.
    eldawido wrote:
    I notice the hoarse voice even without traffic data. But when traffic data is on, the voice is much worse.
    Did you have your phone connected with Bluetooth tethering?

The problem is not with simultaneous data and audio streams but the the connections themselves. So if you're suffering from this issue you'll get it if you have phone connected with Bluetooth tethering regardless of whether there's actually any data being transferred. If you're not using TomTom Services I'd recommend for now to connect your phone only for hands free calling, if needed.

Cheers, Mikko
    the bluetooth tehering was switched off on mobile phone.
    Will Tomtom assure us that this problem will be finally solved?
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi eldawido,

Your retailer can help you with that. But I'd recommend you to get in touch with Customer Service first.

Cheers, Mikko

Retailer is not willing to get the device back. It was bought over year ago.
    Customer support can't help as well.

How should I proceed to return the Rider 400?
    MikkoK wrote:
    The problem is not with simultaneous data and audio streams but the the connections themselves. So if you're suffering from this issue you'll get it if you have phone connected with Bluetooth tethering regardless of whether there's actually any data being transferred. If you're not using TomTom Services I'd recommend for now to connect your phone only for hands free calling, if needed.

Cheers, Mikko

So the official solution to the hoarse voice problem is to NOT use the various features on the GPS?
    Hi eldawido,

Thanks for confirming the connection status! I've added that information to the ticket.

Product returns are done following the policies set for them. If the retailer or Customer Service cannot help you I'm afraid you'll need to wait for the product team to come up with a fix.

As mentioned above, we're investigating this issue and will address it first in the v16.5 release. My advise above about the connection was not intended as a solution but a workaround while we work on providing an actual solution. I'll keep you posted about any further developments on this.

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    ...I'm afraid you'll need to wait for the product team to come up with a fix.

...we're investigating this issue and will address it first in the v16.5 release.
    ...I'll keep you posted about any further developments on this.

Cheers, Mikko

So not only the maps and radars are lifetime free.
    Same with hoarse voice, long sync and other bluetooth bugs.
    Yes, it was sarcastic. But it's still gentle answer for over 1 year of troubles and disregard.

When we can expect v16.5 realease?
    These last days the hoarse voice has been even worse. There has been no new update and I have done multiple resets of the gps with no improvement. The voice is now beyond any recognition most of the time.

TomTom: What are you doing?
    Hi all,

Unfortunately, I don't have any news about this at the moment. I understand your frustration and I'll post back here as soon as I have news to share with you.

Thomas, there hasn't been any software updates since v16.2 so unless some map or Speed Camera updates affect this - which I find very unlikely - perhaps some change in your phone and/or headset may be causing this. Anyhow, as you mentioned in the other topic you're device is currently being serviced so let's get back to this once you have it back.

Cheers, Mikko
    Any news?
    No news - no update. TomTom is apparently on a long vacation. Must be a reward for selling such a large amount of gps'es while saving money on software updates.
    Hi all,

Please, see my comment here.

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

Please, see my comment here.

Cheers, Mikko

That was 30 days ago. Any news?
  • SBDJSBDJ Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
    MikkoK wrote:
    16.5 is one of the last releases this year, but I don't have any more precise time table to give you.

Any news?

The end of the year is fast approaching and still no update on this issue. I have a Rider 410 that was recently bought as a present for me that was doing this badly.

After reading the thread I killed the data connection to my phone (thus losing all the online features of the GPS) and it improved, but even now - with just a bluetooth connection to my SENA headset - it still occasionally distorts and breaks up.

Considering returning the unit and just using Waze instead :/
  • basixbasix Posts: 486
    Superuser
    Just do it mate, buy the all new 420 in a few months from now.
  • dwangdwang Posts: 46 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    basix wrote:
    Just do it mate, buy the all new 420 in a few months from now.

And it starts all over again.

I had it for the tomtom.
  • 312hooligan312hooligan Posts: 84 [Legendary Explorer]
    When I first bought the 400, I experienced the same hoarse voice issue. Even updating it to the latest 16.201 didn't help alleviate the problem. Initially, my connection was such: Sony Xperia Z3 Compact < - - > Rider 400 < - - > Cardo Scala PackTalk. Note that the Rider is the central hub in this case.

Since the live traffic information is utterly useless, and I can never get the receive phone calls feature to work on the US version of the 400, I stopped using the Live Traffic feature, and simply switched my connectivity to such: Sony Xperia Z3 Compact < - - > (ch1) Cardo Scala PackTalk (ch2) < - - > Rider 400. Note that the BT comm system is now the central hub.

The hoarse voice still occurs. Not only that, the voice is also slowed down. I am so used to this now that whenever this random behavior starts, I simply turn off my BT comm device and restart. And if the problem occurs right away after restarting my BT comm device, I just turn off my Rider 400 and power it back on. Sleep and wake does not help.

Not sure if this is related, but using my latter scenario [Sony Xperia Z3 Compact < - - > (ch1) Cardo Scala PackTalk (ch2) < - - > Rider 400], has anyone else experienced this problem, which I think is related: When Rider ding-dings with a speed camera alert, Rider holds that channel open, thus never opening up the channel for my music streaming from my smartphone? At first I thought it was a problem with the Cardo Scala PackTalk, but I decided to ride with my Cardo SmartSet app open. Most of the time, in normal behavior, whenever Rider gives me navigation instructions or ding-dings, my Cardo app shows that smartphone channel 1 is closed (grayed out where I can't control that channel via phone), then when the navigation voice or ding-dings ends, the channel reopens. But sometimes, Rider holds onto the channel 2. The only way this can solve itself sometimes is if another Rider audio comes through (navigation direction or another ding-ding). But sometimes when I am on the expressway where I don't have another turn for a long time, and there isn't another camera for miles, so I get a dead silence from my music because channel 2 is still held open by Rider. Again, I'd have to power cycle Rider to get rid of this.

Related? Different bug? Anyone else experience this? (Please do not tell me to contact CS with this issue. Totally defeats the purpose of this forum where TomTom staff and engineers have access as well.)
    Hi all,

Thanks for coming back about this!

Unfortunately, there's been further delay with the release of the next software update and we're now looking at early next year.

Please note, that this is a user forum. As a public forum also all TomTom Employees have access to this forum and many indeed visit here frequently. However, only the forum Staff has the task of actively participating here in order to make sure people get answers to their questions but we can't answer every question as we might not have the information available or simply don't have the resources. Individual support is provided by Customer Service.

Cheers, Mikko
    Santa did not visit the Nederlands this Christmas. And no New Years update either.
  • WaldemarCZWaldemarCZ Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    It is very sad, that GPS Tomtom released has poor SW update service, even when they know about this for more then year. If it is not fixed in 2 months I will return the TTR and buy Garmin (?). I plan moto trip to Kavkaz or to Nordkapp this summer and I will need properly functioned GPS.