Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset

Comments

• ThomasGN
    ThomasGN Registered Users Posts: 362
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Still waiting for a software update which improve the sound quality.
  • kma_jg
    kma_jg Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Seeker
    The response from TT has been very disappointing so far. The first post in this thread is now 10 months old and still no fix. Come on TT. It can't be that hard. Need some help?
  • simonjdlf
    simonjdlf Registered Users Posts: 1
    Novice Seeker
    I believe I also have the issue reported in this forum. That is a hoarse voice through the helmet headset. I connect my iphone 6 and TT Rider 400 via Bluetooth.

◦Headset model - BT3

◦Headset firmware version - V4.06 24i

◦Phone model = Iphone 6

◦Phone OS version - 9.3.2
  • MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Thanks, Simon!

I've added your details to the ticket.

Cheers, Mikko
  • eldawido
    eldawido Registered Users Posts: 206
    Renowned Wayfarer
    I've noticed that data connection between Rider 400 and mobile phone makes problems for headset and phone cooperation.
    Even if headset and phone are not connected with Rider 400 for phone/voice functions! I had headset connected directly to phone.

Tomtom - isn't great if people are buying your products, testing than prompting where the problems may be? Where do you think problems with bluetooth connections will be finally solved?
  • Maddog009
    Maddog009 Registered Users Posts: 4
    New Seeker
    Chris I have a Rider 400 and scarla G4 team set and this has been an intermittent issue for some time for me as well, cant seem to put my finger on why, also the voice sometimes is different and goes from Jane A to Jane B without me changing anything then reverts back to being ok? gremlins.
  • jjay51
    jjay51 Registered Users Posts: 11
    Apprentice Seeker
    Mine is the same -

Headset - Sena smh5
    Phone - Sony Xperia z1
  • MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Maddog009 wrote:
    Chris I have a Rider 400 and scarla G4 team set and this has been an intermittent issue for some time for me as well, cant seem to put my finger on why, also the voice sometimes is different and goes from Jane A to Jane B without me changing anything then reverts back to being ok? gremlins.
    The changing voice problem sounds like an issue with settings on your device. I'd recommend you to factory reset your device by choosing Settings (cog wheel) - System - Reset - Reset. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

Unfortunately, this is not likely to help with the audio quality issue. I'll log your (and Jay's) feedback to the ticket we have about it.

Cheers, Mikko

Edit: When reporting this issue, please mention your headset model and (if possible) firmware and your phone model and OS version. Thanks!
  • ThomasGN
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Had hoped for an update before the vacation. The hoarse voice problem is still not solved. And I have tried a new headset (still Schuberth though) but the problem persists. Over to you. TomTom.
  • eldawido
    eldawido Registered Users Posts: 206
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Still no improvement.
  • ThomasGN
    Renowned Trailblazer
    TomTom is apparently on vacation as no software updates have been issued for a long time. Maybe they will return from vacation with new energy and solve the many problms with the Rider 400.
  • SJEg
    SJEg Registered Users Posts: 140
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Would be nice.....but I want my money back. The device still is not nearly good enough.
  • RickSkye400
    RickSkye400 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Seeker
    Another one
    Sena SMH5
    Galaxy s5
    TomTom400
    Intermittent distorted voice instructions
    Has any one had any info from TomTom tech?
  • ThomasGN
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Another one
    Sena SMH5
    Galaxy s5
    TomTom400
    Intermittent distorted voice instructions
    Has any one had any info from TomTom tech?

Sadly no. TomTom's advise is to do a reset and wait for a software update. This has been the answer for over one year.
  • RickSkye400
    Apprentice Seeker
    Oh Dear.
    That's disappointing.
    (polite reply)
  • MikkoK
    Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum!

I've added your info to the ticket as well. Unfortunately, I don't have further news about this issue at the moment.

I also noticed that you're running a couple of software and map versions behind. I'd recommend you to update your device to take the advantage of the latest features and improvements.

Cheers, Mikko
  • ThomasGN
    Renowned Trailblazer
    I would clearly advise you to update your maps. As for the software, I am not so sure. The last version introduced even more problems with the hoarse voice. Now it is almost constant in my setup there, by the way, is on TomTom's positive list.
  • RickSkye400
    Apprentice Seeker
    I only updated a few days ago, I have just got the device?
  • RickSkye400
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Mikko
    Does staff next to your name mean you are staff at TomTom?
  • AndersNordh
    AndersNordh Registered Users Posts: 277
    Supreme Navigator
    Hi,

I have never really tried the spoken announcements in the headset apart from some testing when I just bought the TTR400 but yesterday I decided to have a go at it.

Now, my setup looks like this and everything is running the lastet firmware releases apart from the phone that is an Android 5.0.1 device.

Scala Rider Packtalk running in DMC mode, it is connected to the TTR400 on BT channel A and to my Android phone on BT channel B.
    The TTR400 is connected to my phone as well but only for internet connectivity and not for telephone function itself, that is handled between the Scala Rider headset and the phone. In the TTR400 I have disabled Live Traffic by removing the agreement to share my position with TomTom. I've been fooled by Live Traffic enough to dislike it quite a bit.

While riding with this setup yesterday for about 80 km's I experienced no hoarse voice at all, it worked perfectly apart from some directions given very late since it prioritized some speed camera sound warnings instead.

You guys who experience problems, I believe that you use Live Traffic, Is that correct?

Ride safe,
    Anders
  • ThomasGN
    Renowned Trailblazer
    You guys who experience problems, I believe that you use Live Traffic, Is that correct?

Ride safe,
    Anders

That is correct. The hoarse voice exists in combination with traffic update. If you remove the BT for the data link you will have a clear voice - most of the time. There can be problems with telephone calls.
  • jjay51
    Apprentice Seeker
    The hoarse voice occurs without trafic as well, i have just returned from a two week trip and every so often the hoarse voice would appear on announcements mostly when i was playing music from my phone at the same time and sometimes after i had used the intercom with my wife
  • MikkoK
    Hi jjay51,

Could you describe your issue in a bit more detail, please, so that I can forward it to our technicians? Which phone (model and OS version) and headset(s) are you using?

Thanks, Mikko
  • RickSkye400
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Mikko

Has this been a reported issue for a year or more?
  • jjay51
    Apprentice Seeker
    Phone is Sony Xperia z1, OS ANdroid 5.1.1
    Sena SMH5 intercoms.

Not sure i can describe the issue anymore than i did, it happened at random times, sometimes whil my phone was also playing music to the Sena and sometimes when there was no phone connection to the Sena.
    I didnt use the traffic function as i know this creates the issue for sure anyway.