Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset - Page 4 — TomTom Community

Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset

Comments

• kma_jgkma_jg Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Why can't they just use the technology they had in the older GO720? The audio quality on that is perfect on the same headset. Come on TT. It's not that hard. Well,it shouldn't be anyway.
  • Patrick.McPatrick.Mc Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Same Hoarse voice problem for me with Scala Q1 and Samsung S4.
  • R1nkeR1nke Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Having the same problem here.

Headset model: Sena 20S
    Headset firmware version: 1.6
    Phone model: iPhone 6
    Phone OS version: IOS 9.3.1

In addition, I'm having the problem that my TTR400 sometimes doesn't close the BT connection after a spoken direction. So when I'm driving the highway and listening to music from my iPhone, the music stops, I get a voice direction that I have to take the exit in 30 KM's and the next 30KM's I don't have any music till the next spoken direction update. Very Annoying... Something known about that issue?
  • basixbasix Posts: 486
    Superuser
    R1nke, almost same issue I think. I also have a Sena 20S with v1.6.

My other BT connections get dropped if the instructions are taking (too?) long. Media profille to phone for music, and also intercom disconnects.

I have the impression previously while tomtom was talking, I could keep using the intercom but now it gets interrupted during each instruction. I can neither hear or talk through intercom. If the instruction is not taking too long, it will reconnect. The other party is luckily aware of the fact that the tomtom takes over but this is far from ideal if you're relying on a single tomtom with multiple riders.

For now I have made the tomtom shut up (Xander) and only use the warning sounds (which also interrupt, but not longer than 5-10s and no permanent disconnections).
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 758
    Superuser
    Now I've disconnections, too. I can't answer any call.

It rings but when I'm pressing the green button on the screen it drops the connection...
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Ste7ios wrote:
    Now I've disconnections, too. I can't answer any call.

It rings but when I'm pressing the green button on the screen it drops the connection...

Oh. The joy of the Rider 400. I was out on my bike yesterday with a pillion. We used the Cardo bluetooth in both helmets to talk together. To avoid the hoarse voice I disconnected the GPS while driving. After a break and an ice cream we prepared to drive back. But this time the GPS wanted to have some fun and connected and disconnected over and over again. It even made my Schuberth headset (re-branded Cardo) turn off several times. That is a new one for me.....

I must say, though, that when the GPS stayed connected to my headset I could talk to my pillion and even listen to driving directions without a hoarse voice. But just as I enjoyed the clear voice, the GPS would disconnect.
  • rEEzArEEzA Posts: 22 [Legendary Explorer]
    Headset: HBC200 Force
    Firmware: 2.43
    Phone: iPhone 6s

My issues:

#1 When I make a call via the TTR400 while navigating, it will work fine until the GPS tries to read out a direction, i.e Turn left, and then the call will start sounding like a "robot/ digital garbage" where you can't hear the other party and must hang up on them.

#2 If a phone call comes in via the TTR400. I can answer it fine and say hello, but the TTR will automatically discount/ drop the call within 5-10 seconds. This happens every time a call comes in regardless if I'm getting turn by turn instructions or not.
    Superuser
    to fix the headset connected/disconnected, you should turn off the headset, reboot (drumroll restart) the tomtom, wait until it has booted and only then turn on your headset. This is the only way i've managed to get rid of it.
    Superuser
    I also turned off the auto standby when power disconnected feature. I now turn it on and off manually so less disconnected/connected loops unless I f* up the order in which the devices should be turned on. (it's like nicolas cage's routine when leaving his house in matchstick men)
  • FastideFastide Posts: 1 [Novice Seeker]
    Any news about a solution to the robotic/hoarse voice yet? GPS instructions sound like hell...

Rider400
    Schuberth SRC (C3)
    Microsoft Lumia 950

All paired succesfully by bluetooth and yes, with the latest firmware and drivers.

I also have a problem when I want to make a phone call from my tomtom that the phone will make the call but also keeps the sound locally in the phone instead of sending it to the headset. Any solution to that?
    Fastide wrote:
    Any news about a solution to the robotic/hoarse voice yet? GPS instructions sound like hell...

TomTom is not the sharpest knife in the drawer and when it comes to correcting software errors, TomTom is probably in a hand picked league with firms like Universal Credit and its Welfare Payments System. The hoarse voice / data connection error has been known for over a year without being addressed by TomTom - unless you accept the eternally valid TomTom solution: Reset the GPS.
    The latest software update introduced even more hoarse voice now including phone calls. Do not expect TomTom to cure the error any time soon. If you cannot live with it - then trash the GPS and move on.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Fastide,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reporting your issue!

I've added your info to the ticket. As mentioned here before this has turned out to be a very complicated issue having to do with various phone/headset setups and firmware. Fortunately, it doesn't affect everyone but it's of course the more frustrating to those it does.

The calling behaviour, as I understand it, is by design of the Bluetooth connections. You can only use one audio channel at the time.

Cheers, Mikko
  • dencoupedencoupe Posts: 15 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hey Mikko,

If it is a bt design problem it has to affect everybody. The design is the same for everybody!!

In witch setup it works great? (TT says not everybody, so they know who and with what setup it works well)

Because i will buy that setup to get rid off the hoarse voices.

Untill now i've read that the most common setups have the same problem with the hoarse voices so i think that everybody has the same problem.... Untill you prove otherwise ;)
    dencoupe wrote:
    Hey Mikko,

If it is a bt design problem it has to affect everybody. The design is the same for everybody!!

In witch setup it works great? (TT says not everybody, so they know who and with what setup it works well)

Because i will buy that setup to get rid off the hoarse voices.

Untill now i've read that the most common setups have the same problem with the hoarse voices so i think that everybody has the same problem.... Untill you prove otherwise ;)

Sadly, you cannot buy yourself out of the problem. All my quipment is on TomTom's positive list for the gps and I have the hoarse voice. Apparently TomTom has not tested the headsets and their ability to work together with the gps but only that they will connect to the gps. So TomTom is in the woods with suggesting a usable setup. That is why Mikko keep telling everybody to reset the gps. TomTom has no solution to the problem.
    Even more annoying than that, som users of this forum have discovered that TomTom is using an old bluetooth driver and perhaps even old hardware chips - and will not be able to tweek the gps to work as intended. Still, TomTom keep pushing the gps over the counter even in a new version (410) with the same old hardware and thus, problem.
    Maybe TomTom tries to empty their stok of Rider 400/410 and bring back any profit they can get their hands on before drivers stop buying the gps? At least that is what a pessimist would think.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,248
    Superusers
    Hi

No hoarse voice
    Rider 400... Win10 phone (Nokia Lumia 625)... Headset (Cheap Lidl Thursday special offer)

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi

No hoarse voice
    Rider 400... Win10 phone (Nokia Lumia 625)... Headset (Cheap Lidl Thursday special offer)

ATB YFM

Ha ha. So we should buy equipment that is NOT on TomTom's list in order to get it to work. Interesting....
  • dencoupedencoupe Posts: 15 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hmm interesting. That lidl headset hasn't the ability to communicate wirelessly with other riders I think.

I have an old (7 years old) headset with BT wich is for listening to music on a phone. When I get home I will try this setup to try.

@TomTom: Is that what the problem causes, the intercom function on headsets?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,248
    Superusers
    dencoupe wrote:
    Hmm interesting. That lidl headset hasn't the ability to communicate wirelessly with other riders I think.
    Hi

Correct its the SilverCrest SMFB 2.1 A1 and hasn't the ability to communicate wirelessly with other riders or the pillion
    The pillion link is wired but I don't carry a pillion

Music also works really well from the Windows phone
    See dropbox link.... Sound tests
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5v16fhos370i47/AAAcGOnP2Wxo6oAG3DaR85UEa?dl=0

ATB YFM
  • JewevedeJewevede Posts: 5
    After a long and complicated contact with TomTom Customerservice in the Netherlands, I got this answer.
    My suggestion is to make this error known on the forums of motorcycle sites around the world. It is still an unknown error. Maybe TomTom will feel the pressure to correct the error.
    Jim
    Dear Mr.

Thank you for contacting our Customer Care department. The reference number for your question is 160502-xxxxxx

I spoke with the technical team and I can tell you that the problem is probably because the two used Bluetooth channels are to close together in terms of frequency. We are working on a solution and it will probably be added to the next update, but a date I can not give you about this.

I hope to have informed you sufficiently. Should you have additional questions or suggestions, please respond to this email as explained below the dotted line. We are happy to help.

With best regards,

Mark
    TomTom Customer Care Team
    Jewevede wrote:
    I spoke with the technical team and I can tell you that the problem is probably because the two used Bluetooth channels are to close together in terms of frequency. We are working on a solution and it will probably be added to the next update, but a date I can not give you about this.

I hope to have informed you sufficiently. Should you have additional questions or suggestions, please respond to this email as explained below the dotted line. We are happy to help.

With best regards,

Mark
    TomTom Customer Care Team

Well, the problem has been known for over a year - and TomTom has not been able to adjust a bluetooth canal in that period - despite of three software updates? This is a non solution mail. TomTom has no clue. I expect nothing anymore.
  • cjasdcjasd Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    From another thread. Still waiting for the answer. I think it is a case of old hardware and because of that a limitation on the software.

7 days ago
    Hi Mikko,

Can you confirm that the version of the bluetooth device on the 400 is 2.12? If not, which version is it?
    Jim
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 758
    Superuser
    There is no "2.12" Bluetooth standard. This "2.12" can be anything, like v2.12 of a Bluetooth 3.0 stack... We know nothing about the latest devices of TT.

Even Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (~2.1Mbps) can be enough for this application if the software is ok...
    I am wrong I thought the software version