I didn't know horses could talk!
  • Guppie70Guppie70 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Same problem here...
    My setup is:
    TomTom Rider 400
    iPhone 5
    Schuberth SRC in Schubert C4 helmet

My experience:
    * Cannot stream music from my iPhone and use spoken instructions from the TTR400 at the same time
    * Cannot call directly from the SRC collar with my iPhone, because the TTR400 breaks the existing bluetooth connection between the SRC and iPhone as soon as the first spoken TTR instruction arrives to the SCR...
    * Spoken instructions are hard to follow because the volume is too low
    * When the iPhone has a data connection to the TTR400 (for the live traffic information) then the TTR400 spoken instructions are heavily distorted and in many cases not possible to understand
    * Hands free calls are unusable due to distorted sound (bad bluetooth connection?) and volume which is too low.

In my view TomTom should really fix these issues. The title of this thread is very misleading because nothing is solved. I have the latest firmware on the TTR installed. So that cannot be the problem.

Come on TomTom - please solve this basic functionality!
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Guppie70 wrote:
    * Spoken instructions are hard to follow because the volume is too low
    I have a similar collection of devises albeit I have an iPhone 4s. The Schuberth system has different sound profiles to different connections so to have a loud voice profile for the Rider, you have to turn the sound up while the Rider is speaking.
    Do that by connecting the Rider and the Schuberth system. Then press the top left icon on the Rider to go into the menu for sound and brightness. Slide the sound bar to the right while - and this is important - turning up the volume on the Schuberth system. Now you should have voice directions as loud as you want to. At least I have!
  • jtudelajtudela Posts: 4 [Novice Seeker]
    I have the same problems, also with Schuberth SRC-System. Moreover, the volume is so low that I can not understand the instructions, when I'm driving. This does not happen when I use my old Urban Rider.
    jtudela wrote:
    I have the same problems, also with Schuberth SRC-System. Moreover, the volume is so low that I can not understand the instructions, when I'm driving. This does not happen when I use my old Urban Rider.

Please try the advise I gave in the previous posting. I should help help you with the low sound problem.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this!

I've added these cases to the ticket.

@ Guppie70: I noticed you haven't updated to the latest software yet. Although it probably doesn't help you with this issue, I'd recommend you to update to get the most out of your device.

Cheers, Mikko
    @Mikko: Am not sure how you can see the firmware version of my TTR400.
    If I check the "?" option in the TTR400 settings I see that my application software is 15.302.1980188.211 (0) (2329, 02-07-2015), OS 1978066. Isn't that the latest version?
    I have also had contact with the customer service about this problem (ref: xxxxxx-xxxxxx).
    Yesterday, I decided to simply drive without the TTR400 because I expected a phone call. As stated in my original post, the sound quality of the TTR build-in "hands-free" option is so bad that it is completely unusable. Initially I hoped that I could disconnect the TTR from my SRC headset, but I gave up after trying for 10 minutes on a gas station. The TTR kept reconnecting to the SRC collar even after I disabled the spoken instructions and the connection in the "bluetooth" settings twice.
    It would be really nice if you can give your customers insight in the bugs you are fixing or the new features that you are developing. This is really common practice now. Take a look at this Trello dashboard:
    https://trello.com/b/LCDud1Nd/brackets
    This provides total transparency in the development process and will probably prevent a lot of frustrated customers who are in the dark about the status of their reported issues or suggestions.
    If companies like Apple and Samsung can make a bluetooth connection work reliably, it should also be possible for you to do this right? Since this is a product targeted for motorcycle use, bluetooth connection and associated services (spoken instructions, hands-free calling) should simply work. If they do not, the product is not ready and even dangerous to use since you have to look at the display more than you should.
    Please fix these problems ASAP and inform us on the status.
    Thanks in advance!

Mod edit: Please, don't post personal information on a public forum. Thanks.
    I have found that the rider 400 volume bar does not affect anything to the sound intensity. Only the volume control of my SCHUBERTH SRC-2. And with this at maximum volume instructions are not heard when I'm driving. I tried what ThomasGN advises but it does not work.
    jtudela wrote:
    I have found that the rider 400 volume bar does not affect anything to the sound intensity. Only the volume control of my SCHUBERTH SRC-2. And with this at maximum volume instructions are not heard when I'm driving. I tried what ThomasGN advises but it does not work.
    Strange because I have a similar setup and I can turn the sound up to a level where it is really loud. So loud that I can get directions at highway speed wearing ear protection. I would start from scratch and remove any bluetooth pairing, reset the Rider 400, and pair it again with the headset as a GPS. Then I would go into the menu for sound level on the Rider and while I adjust the level to app. 2/3 I would turn up the volume in the headset.
    I did so, but does not work.
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I have noticed all above mentioned problems as well.
    Seems the occasionally hoarse sound comes from bad switching of Bluetooth channels.
  • Rugby536Rugby536 Posts: 30 [Master Explorer]
    iPhone 5s
    Sena S20

Same issue. First instruction is quite clear, second instruction is hoarse.
  • agesofmanagesofman Posts: 24 [Master Explorer]
    Hi

I run an android smartphone (Moto G), Schuberth SRC and a TT400 and have exactly the same broken up voice issue.

I need to investigate further but also I could not listen to music from my phone, even with volumes on max on all 3 devices.

Phone to SRC direct is perfect in both cases :?
    So TomTom?
    Are you going to take these issues seriously?
    Please let us know when we can expect a fix.
    Hi all,

Thanks all for your feedback!

I've been following this topic and logging all your reports. Unfortunately, at this point I have no news of any eventual solution but I'll keep you posted.

One thing I've heard has improved things for some customers is to update the firmware of their headphones. Please, contact your headphone manufacturer for further advise on this.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Jason_GowerJason_Gower Posts: 95 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    One thing I've heard has improved things for some customers is to update the firmware of their headphones. Please, contact your headphone manufacturer for further advise on this.

Is this Tom Toms way of shifting the problem onto someone else?
    The software in my SRC collar is up to date. That was one of the first steps I took in an attempt to solve the problem. Turned out that there was no update for my SRC collar.
    To me this really looks like a bluetooth problem in the TTR400 - which I hope you can solve really soon.
    Again: if you turn off the data connection between the phone and the TTR400, the TTR voice is a lot better. Is there interference between those channels?
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks all for your feedback!

I've been following this topic and logging all your reports. Unfortunately, at this point I have no news of any eventual solution but I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Mikko

Hi Mikko

I updated SRC software to latest version on 10/9/2015 and I have the problem.

Don't envy your job at the moment!
    All the best.
    My SRC from Schuberth is updated with the latest software. The problem persist.
    Hi all,

Thanks for coming back about this!

@agesofman: My job is never boring :D

Cheers, Mikko
    ThomasGN wrote:
    Hi. I have my Rider 400 connected to my iPhone and my headset (From Schuberth and on the positive list). When I getting driving directions it often sound as the Rider 400 voice is hoarse. It is worst when I am nearing a turn. First the Rider will inform me of an upcoming turn. That sounds fine. But very near the turn the Rider instruction turns horse. I can understand the direction given by the Rider but the sound quality is very bad.
    What can I do?

Hi Thomas

Is this a valid answer? Will not switching data off then disable traffic data?
    Hi Agesofmen

You are absolutely right. Traffic data will be disabled. It is a choice between pest or cholera. Do you prefer clear instructions or traffic updates? You cannot have both in the current software version. Hopefully it will be different in the next version of software...

And speaking about a software update. Is it not time for TomTom to release a new version? Like if you say 'yes' ;)
    @ThomasGN: I have found that switching off the voice instructions on the TTR400 doesn't work. On my TTR400 it automatically re-connects to my SRC. So in the bluetooth settings of the TTR400, I switch off my SRC as the headset. Then I reconnect my iPhone to the SRC. After a few seconds, the TTR400 decides to reconnect to my SRC (even though I manually switched to off), and "steals" the iPhone sound connection away from my iPhone.
    So practically it's:
    a) TTR400 with data connection and poor voice command sound quality
    b) TTR400 without data connection and (relatively) good voice command sound quality
    c) TTR400 completely switched off and a proper sound & phone connection to my iPhone
    Personally I think this is unacceptable for a device that costs EUR400.
  • EvilhomerEvilhomer Posts: 63 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Just to confirm, I have also updated all firmware, even changed headset from Scala to Sena and it happens all the time. Only way to prevent it is not to connect phone to the tomtom Bluetooth which means no traffic. Whilst this isn't show stopping for me, it's clearly a bug so I would hope this was being actively investigated and not low down a feature list
  • Martijn24Martijn24 Posts: 3 [Novice Seeker]
    Just installed a new Cardo Scala Q3 in my helmet and tested it today for the first time with the Rider 400 (both devices running latest firmware). About 50% spoken directions simply sound awful (yes I use bluetooth for traffic data as well). I found this thread today, hoping to find a solution - but apparently there is none. This is disappointing. TomTom, Please make fixing this a priority in the next software update.