Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset - Page 10 — TomTom Community

Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset

Comments

• basixbasix Posts: 486
    Superuser
    bye bye Thomas. Let us know about your further experiences with whatever you will replace it with.
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Just returned from Germany today. A new TomTom 450 (and a 420 in May) is on the marked. Apparently, it has improved hardware incl. a new screen. That could explain why TomTom has been reluctant to update the "old" 400 and 410. They were working on a updated model to replace the faulty 40, 400, 410 devices....... Thank God I got out before TomTom will tell us, that 400 and 410 is no longer supported....

Sadly, this is becoming TomToms way of handling customers complaints: Just like my TomToms GPS app on my iPhone: TomTom promised lifelong map updates but has just informed the users that the app is no longer supported. What a trustworthy company!
  • WaldemarCZWaldemarCZ Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello again, retailer sent ttr to TomTom servis and they returned it with message that they repaired it and the couldnt reproduce... funny, what about tomtom customer service? Im really dissapointed with result. So i checked and hoarse voice still persists. New reclamation is running... i am little bit angry...
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Waldemar,

Unfortunately, repair is unlikely to solve this. I'd recommend you to contact Customer Service directly. That way we can make sure it's been correctly handled with all the information about this issue.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Ads123Ads123 Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with an Iphone5s and sena smh10 paired with rider 410 - hoarse voice and low voice volume of sat nav - can't believe I spent £400 with something that clearly is not fit for purpose!
  • SBDJSBDJ Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
    SBDJ wrote:
    I suspect the unit will be superseded by a new model before we get a fix and then we'll all be out of luck...

So it looks like I was right then - new TomTom Rider 450 available for pre-order and no sign of any fix for those of us stick with broken devices.

My retailer is only offering me the option of sending it back to TomTom for a warranty repair - which obviously won't work, as confirmed by TomTom, or to deal with TomTom directly for the above repair.

Going to contact TomTom support again - as I see it if they can't fix my 410 then they should replace it with the 450 (assuming that actually works of course) or refund me. If they can't refund me then they should speak to my retailer and sort things out between them.

I've actually taken all the mounting hardware and wiring off my bike already as I've gone back to Waze for now. It's certainly not as convenient or bike friendly, but it's quicker and I can actually hear what it is saying...
    SBDJ wrote:
    SBDJ wrote:
    I suspect the unit will be superseded by a new model before we get a fix and then we'll all be out of luck...

So it looks like I was right then - new TomTom Rider 450 available for pre-order and no sign of any fix for those of us stick with broken devices.

My retailer is only offering me the option of sending it back to TomTom for a warranty repair - which obviously won't work, as confirmed by TomTom, or to deal with TomTom directly for the above repair.

Going to contact TomTom support again - as I see it if they can't fix my 410 then they should replace it with the 450 (assuming that actually works of course) or refund me. If they can't refund me then they should speak to my retailer and sort things out between them.

I've actually taken all the mounting hardware and wiring off my bike already as I've gone back to Waze for now. It's certainly not as convenient or bike friendly, but it's quicker and I can actually hear what it is saying...

That is what I did. I have returned my Rider with the locking system for a full refund. The GPS is on its way to TomTom and I await the money back on my bank account. Sad, really, as I like the GPS unit was it not for its bluetooth problems that TomTom has not addressed for 1 1/2 year - and propably wont address in the future now that a new GPS is out.
    However, TomTom return policy is second to none. I had no problem with getting a refund on my GPS. If I was you, ai would talk to them.....
    Ads123 wrote:
    I have the same problem with an Iphone5s and sena smh10 paired with rider 410 - hoarse voice and low voice volume of sat nav - can't believe I spent £400 with something that clearly is not fit for purpose!
    Welcome to the Community!

I'd recommend you to remove the pairings from your Rider 410, iPhone and headset, reset them all and re-pair. As you can read here, this is unfortunately not guaranteed to sort this out for you, but it has worked for many and certainly worth trying.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Paul.R.F.Paul.R.F. Posts: 99 [Apprentice Traveler]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Ads123 wrote:

I'd recommend you to remove the pairings from your Rider 410, iPhone and headset, reset them all and re-pair. As you can read here, this is unfortunately not guaranteed to sort this out for you, but it has worked for many and certainly worth trying.

Cheers, Mikko

That's the scary part Mikko. If it does not sort it out what happens next? What is Tom Toms plans for dealing with this problem. Do they just plan to ignore it or are the users affected by this problem going to be compensated by Tom Tom. As stated earlier in another thread I wish to purchase a headset but don't want to risk spending the money in case of the same problem, it is too much off a gamble.
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Dear Mikko,
    is there and new info regarding fix for the hoarse voice problems?
    The device still can't be use as advertised. Almost 2 years of waiting should be enough, I think.
    Hi all,

After long last, I have a bit of good news :D It's not much at this point and I don't want to raise your hopes too high for a quick fix, but I thought I'd share this anyway as it was starting to look quite grim.

I've been forwarding your feedback about this issue to the product team and they've now come back to me with something more promising. The investigations into this issue are bearing fruit and a potential solution is in sight. It's still too early to say anything further about it, e.g. regarding the nature or time table. However, I wanted to post this to ensure you that the issue is being investigated and progress has been made.

Regarding my troubleshooting advise above, we can never guarantee a troubleshooting step will solve any particular issue. We can only suggest steps with some confidence based on how effective we've seen the steps to be for a particular issue. That's why it's called troubleshooting ;)

Cheers, Mikko
  • MonkehMonkeh Posts: 29 [Outstanding Explorer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

After long last, I have a bit of good news :D It's not much at this point and I don't want to raise your hopes too high for a quick fix, but I thought I'd share this anyway as it was starting to look quite grim.

I've been forwarding your feedback about this issue to the product team and they've now come back to me with something more promising. The investigations into this issue are bearing fruit and a potential solution is in sight. It's still too early to say anything further about it, e.g. regarding the nature or time table. However, I wanted to post this to ensure you that the issue is being investigated and progress has been made.

Regarding my troubleshooting advise above, we can never guarantee a troubleshooting step will solve any particular issue. We can only suggest steps with some confidence based on how effective we've seen the steps to be for a particular issue. That's why it's called troubleshooting ;)

Cheers, Mikko

What would you class as a slow fix? 5 years? 10? never?
  • SBDJSBDJ Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Starting to look a bit grim? ;)

So we've another update and still not even beginning to address the bluetooth issues?

I'll be in touch on Tuesday (bank holiday on Monday) and you guys can either give me a firm date for getting a device that works as it should or you can arrange a refund. I know I keep thinking/talking about it, but enough already. I'm starting a new job soon which will have the potential for some interesting and varied commutes and I need a working sat nat device. The TomTom Rider units are not that and I'm done waiting.
    Last update: Today I got my money back for the Rider 400. I have already bought a Garmin Zumo 595lm. No problem with a hoarse voice. I'm happy!

This is my last posting on this forum. Stay safe out there.
    Dear MikkoK,
    would you please push forward my issue with tomtom suport?
    Thanks in advance. Appreciate Your work here.

I'm tired of hoarse voice, constant bluetooth issues and lack of info.
    Hope the coming new generation of Rider (490?) brings the solution.
  • dwangdwang Posts: 46 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Its sinless to talk here.

Tomtom doesn't listen to there customers.

The just do what the like.

The new update is the proof off it.

End story
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,417 Moderator
    eldawido wrote:
    Dear MikkoK,
    would you please push forward my issue with tomtom suport?
    Thanks in advance. Appreciate Your work here.

I'm tired of hoarse voice, constant bluetooth issues and lack of info.
    Hope the coming new generation of Rider (490?) brings the solution.

I had a look at the incident you started yesterday. I think someone will get in touch with you today.

Regards
    Vikram
    VikramK wrote:
    I had a look at the incident you started yesterday. I think someone will get in touch with you today.

Regards
    Vikram
    Will repair of my unit finally solve the hoarse voice problem?

I think I know the answer, just would like to confirm if is anything new in this matter.
    As far I remember my unit was once replaced for this reason without any effect.
    ThomasGN wrote:
    ... I have already bought a Garmin Zumo 595lm. No problem with a hoarse voice. ...
    Would you please compare both navi systems? Especially if the Garmin's Adventurous Routing works as good as at Tomtom. And if the phone functions are ok (like time for contact sync, sms-reading).
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    Please take a look at #237 :)
  • SteveFJRSteveFJR Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I live in Holland and the TomTom 410 and 450 are being sold like hot cakes, some retailers are denying that there are issues with bluetooth. I experienced this today, in the shop where I bought my 450, they denied that there was a bluetooth problem, would not help, would not advise. At least you guys can complain to TomTom and get a full refund, here in Holland I don`t even think that exists.
    We are stuck with a knackered piece of equipment...............thanks TomTom!!!!
    Hi Steve,

I'm sorry to hear you're also suffering from this issue! It might well be that retailers are not aware of this issue as it, luckily, is not very common - despite of the impression you might get reading these topics about it. As mentioned here before, we're currently investigating some possible solutions to this and hopefully we can offer some solution to this soon :D I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Mikko
    what means "soon in this case?
  • BelgiumRider400BelgiumRider400 Posts: 35 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am really starting to wonder about this statement that its not that common of a problem. I am on my third TT unit and had the some problem with all of them. Even tired some of the TT approved headsets, but without any luck.