Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset — TomTom Community

Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset

ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 361 [Renowned Wayfarer]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Hi. I have my Rider 400 connected to my iPhone and my headset (From Schuberth and on the positive list). When I getting driving directions it often sound as the Rider 400 voice is hoarse. It is worst when I am nearing a turn. First the Rider will inform me of an upcoming turn. That sounds fine. But very near the turn the Rider instruction turns horse. I can understand the direction given by the Rider but the sound quality is very bad.
What can I do?

Comments

• Jason_GowerJason_Gower Posts: 95 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Glad to know that I am not the only one that this occurs to. This has happened to me occasionally too. I have been thinking that its interference from somewhere....
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 361 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hopefully there will be a software update which solves the problem.

It is quite annoying knowing my headset is on the positive list and the actually result is so bad. Frankly, I have de-paired my Schuberth headset from the TomTom Rider 400 and re-paired it with my iPhone. I get no voice directions that way but I can hear music and get rid of the hoarse voice which, by the way, is sometimes impossible to understand anyway.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had this happen once with my new 400, but a few times with my V5. Never seemed to be the same place or conditions. Reckon there is electrical interference somewhere
  • Rider400Rider400 Posts: 162 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Glad to know that I am not the only one that this occurs to. This has happened to me occasionally too. I have been thinking that its interference from somewhere....

Do you also have the Schubeth Headset.

I Experience the same thing very often.
    Rider400 wrote:
    Do you also have the Schubeth Headset.

No, I have the G4, which I believe is what the Schubeth SRC is made from.
    The Schuberth is indeed made bij Cardo. But the software is different.
    I have the G9 by Scala, if that makes any difference
    Scala= Cardo
    But if you experience it also. It seems a TT problem and not especially a problem of a headset manudacturer.
    My headset works flawlessly with a Garmin Zumo. Used it for 2 years and 6.000 km without a hickup.
    Rider400 wrote:
    Scala= Cardo
    But if you experience it also. It seems a TT problem and not especially a problem of a headset manudacturer.
    My headset works flawlessly with a Garmin Zumo. Used it for 2 years and 6.000 km without a hickup.

Happen with my V5 also, but a rare enough event
  • WielWiel Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I also use the Schuberth SRC in combination with the Rider 400 and a Garmin Zumo 660. As well as others I encouter bad noise with spoken directions by the Rider 400. This does not occur while having a telephone conversation. I have tested my Schuberth SRC with other devices and thus I assume that the cause is the Rider 400.
    If there are more people with this problem, please come forward.
    Tell also which headset you have.
  • GSA-riderGSA-rider Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I also use the Rider 400 connected to the headset of Schuberth SRC (S2 helmet) and the sound is not that great as well... I can't even change the volume, not in rider, not on the SRC, nothing is changing on that. The instruction are coming in too loud and can't do anything about it for the moment :-( I guess this is rider related, because formely used the TomTom Go app for Android and there it was ok...
    Been on vacation in Norway. De-paired my Rider 400 and used my old combination of Schuberth SRS3 and iPhone. Then I did not have to hear the awful sound quality on the Rider. But that was not not why I bought the Rider in the first place. I bought it because the Schubert system was on the positive list. It should not be. Whoever tested the combination and put it on the positive list should be sacked.
  • TTChrisTTChris Posts: 964 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback regarding this. I am currently putting it together to pass on to the Rider team. If anyone else is experiencing the same, please do include the make and model number of the headset.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • pistu_fogheccpistu_foghecc Posts: 13 [Master Explorer]
    same problem for me too. I have a Midland BTX1 FM. BTX paired with the phone (Lumia 1020) for voice and music on a2dp channel. With the TomTom for the istruction on the mono channel. Then the Tom Tom and the Lumia for the theathering via bluethooth
  • JacobWJacobW Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problem with the Sena SMH10R.
  • EvilhomerEvilhomer Posts: 63 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi

Wanted to chip in as I've been having a bit of hassle with bluetooth headsets. I have a G9X but was getting a couple of bugs and so in the end plumped up and decided to give Sena a try with the S20.

I can confirm I get a croaky, broken voice on both those headsets.

I will say it appears to get better if I disconnect my phones bluetooth so it appears it is probably bluetooth interference to me but if I want the online services on TomTom I need the bluetooth on.

This would definitely be up there on my top priorities
    Evilhomer wrote:
    Hi

Wanted to chip in as I've been having a bit of hassle with bluetooth headsets. I have a G9X but was getting a couple of bugs and so in the end plumped up and decided to give Sena a try with the S20.

I can confirm I get a croaky, broken voice on both those headsets.

I will say it appears to get better if I disconnect my phones bluetooth so it appears it is probably bluetooth interference to me but if I want the online services on TomTom I need the bluetooth on.

This would definitely be up there on my top priorities

Same expirence I have. Turn off the bluetooth data connection on the phone and the sound is fine.
    I would say it appears we've debugged it for them then... there you go TomTom, appears a bluetooth interference with the data connection. Hopefully that could be resolved with a software update
    I haven't tried this yet, but....

We have to turn off Bluetooth on our phones (or not pair with the TTR400). This will mean that

1. We can not stream music from the phone via the Satnav - which doesn't work anyway.
    2. We can not make / receive telephone calls via the Satnav - only 50% functionality anyway.
    3. We can not receive traffic updates - only useful if you are on a planned route.

But in return we will have clean audio directions from the Satnav... Nothing to loose really.
    How do we pass this onto TomTom so they can investigate/potentially release a fix?
    Evilhomer wrote:
    How do we pass this onto TomTom so they can investigate/potentially release a fix?

TomTom are aware, see about the comment (about 14) by TTChris
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback regarding this issue!

I've been following this discussion and passed your feedback and findings on to our technicians.

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks MikkoK (and everyone else).. I can repeat this exactly by turning the data connection on and off with my phone. When the connection is off, voice is fine, when the connection is on, voice is very hoarse.

Also as an additional note, when I make a phone call or they phone me, if data connection is on, then the caller can hardly hear me and I struggle to hear them. With data connection off, the voice is fine both ways.

Looking forward to a fix for this issue
  • pistu_fogheccpistu_foghecc Posts: 13 [Master Explorer]
    BT connection on the ttr400 are very poor. If i connect the phone for the data connection and then the headset, the rider fall in a loop of miss and gain connection with the btx. Please solve this bug too. I can't use the rider like this.