Eircodes support?

peking97peking97 Posts: 33 [Prominent Wayfarer]
edited January 30 in Archived Discussions
As you may know a new postcode system, Eircode, has just launched in the Republic of Ireland.
Are there any plans in place to support this system on Carminat TomTom?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 32,896 Superusers
    Or maps for any other device, for that matter? May I suggest you also post in the Map Quality subforum here. Hopefully, some TT employee from the mapping division will pick up on it.
  • zg3409zg3409 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Having the new Irish postcode system before Garmin would definitely help sales. All couriers and delivery drivers are looking for a simple solution.
  • CatNipCatNip Posts: 477 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Another location system!

A bit late now, but could they not have used MapCodes for this? An advantage being it would already be compatible with SatNavs :)

But I suppose it would not be able to differentiate between all different addresses in a block of flats. Though I would have thought a flat number plus a MapCode would cover most such cases.
  • NoelmaNoelma Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    peking97 wrote:
    As you may know a new postcode system, Eircode, has just launched in the Republic of Ireland.

I would also love to hear if TT has any plans in this regard. Eircode say:
    "While we are expecting the mentioned companies to adopt the Eircode system, I can't give you the exact time frame for how long it will take them to update."
    However, I wonder if - in fact - they have any reason to "expect" this!
  • TTChrisTTChris Posts: 964 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Noelma wrote:
    peking97 wrote:

"While we are expecting the mentioned companies to adopt the Eircode system, I can't give you the exact time frame for how long it will take them to update."

Hi,

I will bring this up with the relevant department here, just to see if we have any information we can share on.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • pendragonfallspendragonfalls Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    TTChris wrote:
    Noelma wrote:
    peking97 wrote:

Hi,

I will bring this up with the relevant department here, just to see if we have any information we can share on.

Cheers,
    Chris

Well..? Nine days waiting for 'the relevant department' to provide a yay or nay response..?
    Are 'the relevant department' politicians by any chance..? :/
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,200 Superusers
    Hi

Are Irish GoCodes the same postcode system ???
    I don't know if it applies to all of the subsequent updates

See Application update info.....
    Version 12.071
    This update applies to: GO 1000 series, GO LIVE 800 series, Via series, Start 20 series, Start 60

•A choice of device reset has been added. You can now choose to reset the device while keeping settings including your Favourites, Recent Destinations and favourite POIs or you can do a full reset to remove all settings and locations.
    •Improvements to display of Speed Limits for Safety Cameras.
    •Search Radius for POI Searches has been increased to provide more extensive search results
    •Improvements to display of the age of Safety Camera data on device
    •Mapcodes have been removed for Chinese users due to legal reasons, but are still available in all other regions.
    •Irish GoCodes have been removed from the application due to contractual reasons.
    •Improvements to Czech Voices.
    •Fixes made for Mapshare Download functionality.
    •Support for Serbian and Bosnian languages.
    •Twitter functionality is working again.

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Are Irish GoCodes the same postcode system ???
    It seems they are an alternative. They do rather sound like an Irish version of Mapcodes!

GO Code

"They work on Tom Tom satnavs too."

But not on my Start 25. :)
    Hi
    Sorry to re-post but I need edit the post

Are Irish GoCodes the same as the Eircode postcode system ???
    See red text in the post bellow, I don't know if it applies to all of the subsequent updates

See Application update info.....
    Version 12.071
    This update applies to: GO 1000 series, GO LIVE 800 series, Via series, Start 20 series, Start 60

•A choice of device reset has been added. You can now choose to reset the device while keeping settings including your Favourites, Recent Destinations and favourite POIs or you can do a full reset to remove all settings and locations.
    •Search Radius for POI Searches has been increased to provide more extensive search results
    •Mapcodes have been removed for Chinese users due to legal reasons, but are still available in all other regions.
    •Irish GoCodes have been removed from the application due to contractual reasons.

ATB YFM
    I included the quote from their website that they "work on TomTom satnavs". However they don't on my Start 25 with OS 12.071, which is consistent with your post.

Perhaps someone with a later NAV4 device can see if their model accepts the GO Code.

Also, maybe TomTom and or the Mapcode Foundation needs to push Mapcodes more?

Mapcodes
    Hi

The example on the GoCode website for their offices L6G56LP
    Doesn't work on my GO5000, gives "No addresses found"

ATB YFM
  • TTChrisTTChris Posts: 964 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Well..? Nine days waiting for 'the relevant department' to provide a yay or nay response..?
    Are 'the relevant department' politicians by any chance..? :/

Hi,

Unfortunately I still don't have any information I can pass on to you. As the system is brand new and just being rolled out at the moment, I wouldn't expect any information on it just yet. I'll be sure to keep investigating though.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • argentum08argentum08 Posts: 57 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    As I understand it, the Eircode system uses a seven-digit code in which the last four digits identify 2.2m. individual addresses. These digits are non-sequential – they have been randomly selected and allocated to every address. They are linked to a database rather than to GPS co-ordinates or a grid system. It has been reported that the full database is “in the region of 2 GB”, which would probably rule out its being suitable for use on current GPS devices.
  • Leeds12Leeds12 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    argentum08 wrote:
    As I understand it, the Eircode system uses a seven-digit code in which the last four digits identify 2.2m. individual addresses. These digits are non-sequential – they have been randomly selected and allocated to every address. They are linked to a database rather than to GPS co-ordinates or a grid system. It has been reported that the full database is “in the region of 2 GB”, which would probably rule out its being suitable for use on current GPS devices.

There is an "anti Eircode" campaign from some who are spreading a lot of misinformation.
    As explained here: http://www.snoopdos.com/blog/how-big-is-the-eircode-database/ (I have no connecction to this web site) the Eircode Database is more like 20MB.
    TomTom already has an Irish address database, this is just some extra information.
  • MvanAkenMvanAken Posts: 459 TomTom Employee
    If the Eicodes are similar to how postal codes are used in the UK implementing them correctly will be quite a challenge. Size won't be a problem, our map compression software is very effective. I also have used some of my contacts in order to find out if we're going to do anything with the Eircodes, but so far I have not received a responds.
  • antohantoh Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    http://www.eircode.ie

see link to eircode.

tom tom is very underdeveloped in ireland. if they can add the new postcode facility it will help a lot.
  • antohantoh Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    the postcode system in ireland - eircode- gives every house it's own code - if they can install it great.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    I wonder is there any news on this MvanAken or loc8 codes
    Sadly I have not received any information about the new codes. I will try again.
    It seems to be a waste of space the Eircode system
    Is the new system actually used by normal people?

I don't think the map size will increase much by adding the codes (if available in the source data?), but I do know that implementing postal codes correctly in our current map format is surprisingly difficult.
    As yet no. Simply no gps device uses it. The Postal company An Post have started to integrate it to their website and I believe a courier company has. The problem is that every house has its own code, therefore places like piers, rest stops etc don't have codes
    Hi
    @the-civvie
    Are the Irish GoCodes the same as the Eircode system ??? if "Yes", See bellow they were removed in the final 12.071 update for the NAV3 devices due to contractual reasons... I suppose they have never been implemented on the NAV4 devices... because of the same contractual reasons ???

Link.....
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/release_notes/type/navkit

Edit : Looks like the Eircode system is based on the GoCodes
    http://www.gocode.ie/

Version 12.071

ATB YFM
    They are not the same as the GoCodes. Eircode was developed by the Irish government
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online45

Bembo
Bembo
Bernd L
Bernd L
DougLap
DougLap
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor
Munich North
Munich North