How do I add POI's with bmp file using MyDrive?

Crisbeq
Crisbeq Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 2019 in MyDrive Connect
I have various POI's from my old Tomtom which are in two parts (bmp file & ov2 file). I don't seem to be able add them to my new device via the transfer applicatrion or via mydrive. Any ideas on how to do this please.

Comments

• dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
    Superuser
    bmp files cannot as yet be added via MyDrive.
  • Crisbeq
    Crisbeq Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    If that's the case, I am really beginning to regret buying this to replace my 710.................
  • yoyo5757
    yoyo5757 Registered Users Posts: 166
    Master Explorer
    Based on the past timing of over 12 months to implement very basic custom POI loading, who knows if and when TomTom will add this basic functionality. You can try asking TomTom, but to date they have never provided any answer on whether this feature will be added or not. Let alone any information on timing to make this decision.

Maybe they just don't have the money to be able to provide answers on this. On 21 April 2015 they announced a loss of 6.9 million euros for the 3 months to 31 March 2015. An adverse movement of 14.5 million euros compared to same time one year ago when they made a profit of 7.6 million euros.
  • JPV
    JPV Registered Users Posts: 64
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Crisbeq wrote:
    If that's the case, I am really beginning to regret buying this to replace my 710.................

So am I :?
    ...I loved my TomTom 2050 :P
  • JPV
    JPV Registered Users Posts: 64
    Prominent Wayfarer
    yoyo5757 wrote:
    Based on the past timing of over 12 months to implement very basic custom POI loading, who knows if and when TomTom will add this basic functionality. You can try asking TomTom, but to date they have never provided any answer on whether this feature will be added or not. Let alone any information on timing to make this decision.

Maybe they just don't have the money to be able to provide answers on this. On 21 April 2015 they announced a loss of 6.9 million euros for the 3 months to 31 March 2015. An adverse movement of 14.5 million euros compared to same time one year ago when they made a profit of 7.6 million euros.

If TomTom keep all their features from previous models and add new ones...they would make a profit as "every one" would buy one
  • MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks all for your feedback!

Adding images for your POIs has been a frequent request and we've forwarded it to the MyDrive team. They are continuously working on improving MyDrive and we'll provide them with your feedback from the forum. We'll also announce here all new releases/feature so stay tuned! :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • alecolin
    alecolin Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    I can't believe I can not add bmp files for my PDI's. I did this 10 years ago on my Windows CE palm... very very sad.
  • Krystb
    Krystb Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    Same problem cant add a bmp image to my new Go 500. Would not have bought it if I knew this. Now I am stuck with it, ok in Navman 10years ago OK in Garmin 5 years ago. Right now NOT ok in this TomTom!
  • Krystb
    Krystb Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    But when?
  • deejay2
    deejay2 Registered Users Posts: 31
    Prominent Wayfarer
    there is a ton of things and features which people from tomtom (excuse my language) removed, like adding community voices, editing and saving pois, coordinates saving, main menu interface with functions removed...

to be honest i do not see reason why they were removed, they could stay, and they could just improve things, interface, menu and they could be just adding features,,,,but removing from old tomtoms features people loved....is stupid, nothing else to say.

no matter how hard those moderators are trying to explain users how to use always new devices, every year on and on,,,,always the same we getting, every release of tomtom must be things added and i am asking why.

just add things, do not remove basic features which should be there from beginning.

it is going downhill and responsible management for this whole nonsense interface with removed features from previous go's should be sacked immediately.

of course they are in loss, if they asking £259 for go 5100, why you think after 3 months go 5100 is selling for £175.99 on amazon and currys. Significant dropped in price, no one wants it without previous features people used to from go's 930 and 1005.

and users do return those devices, they don't like new interface, sluggish search which can not find anything and missing stuff from previous go's people are used to.

same story with 8gb internal memory, which is about 7gb after format and navcore loaded and world maps are taking 6.5gb. so on new device you have about 400mb free space. silly isn't!
    so basically no space for nothing. 16gb costs fiver, so why the hell there is not 16gb internal storage there?? do you think it would raise costs? if you can afford price drop from £259 to £175.99 in 3 months, you can afford 16gb internal memory smart tomtom engineers instead off taking piss.
    in that case do not put any internal storage and ask people to buy sd card if this is what you want to do.

only 3 good things happened? lifetime maps, cameras and traffic

thanks tomtom
  • deejay2
    Prominent Wayfarer
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,
    Adding images for your POIs has been a frequent request and we've forwarded it to the MyDrive team. They are continuously working on improving MyDrive and we'll provide them with your feedback from the forum. We'll also announce here all new releases/feature so stay tuned! :D

Cheers, Mikko

MIKKO
    adding images for pois should not be forwarded to mydrive team, they should be there from beginning !!! same like ability to load community voices, saving and editing coordinates, etc
  • Browni
    Browni Registered Users Posts: 13
    Outstanding Explorer
    Had a GO 1005 which had all the bells and whistles that were mentioned above. They can be put on to the 6100 as there were there in the past.

A flagship product here that is getting lower and lower on the mast. get your act together NOW.

deejay2 comments are spot on and should be implemented ASAP.

Ian
  • MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Browni wrote:
    Had a GO 1005 which had all the bells and whistles that were mentioned above. They can be put on to the 6100 as there were there in the past.

A flagship product here that is getting lower and lower on the mast. get your act together NOW.

Ian

Thanks for your feedback!

Please note, that new GO series runs on a completely new software (See more here) and all features have to be designed and developed to work in this new software environment. As the new software also entails a somewhat different philosophy on providing aid to navigation, this is not as easy task as you might imagine.

We've already brought many features and improvements to the new range in the many software updates released since the launch of this generation of devices. This trend will continue and your feedback here on the forum is very valuable in helping us prioritise the coming improvements. All updates will be announced here on the forum so stay tuned! :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • deejay2
    Prominent Wayfarer
    MikkoK wrote:
    Browni wrote:

Ian

Please note, that new GO series runs on a completely new software (See more here) and all features have to be designed and developed to work in this new software environment. As the new software also entails a somewhat different philosophy on providing aid to navigation, this is not as easy task as you might imagine.

We've already brought many features and improvements to the new range in the many software updates released since the launch of this generation of devices. This trend will continue and your feedback here on the forum is very valuable in helping us prioritise the coming improvements. All updates will be announced here on the forum so stay tuned! :D

Cheers, Mikko

Mikko,
    problem is that those features from old goes will take TOMTOM programmers 2 years to be implemented.

Any skilled programmer, if you would ask him to implement for example adding community voices, loading bmp, saving coordinates, or any other features missing from old GOs could be reprogrammed very quickly, i would say within couple of months, as i know what I am talking about. Your device is based on Linux, hire proper programmers to get this sorted quickly.

It does not matter this is new system, it can be programmed back in, the question is if TOMTOM wants those features back or not.

are they working on it or not? this can not take 2 years, but 2 months, it is not difficult to program it.

let us know guys, we would really appreciated it.
  • LeeS69
    LeeS69 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    I have an alternative option Tomtom, sort your speed camera database out then I wouldn't need to add custom POI's. Your database of mobile camera sites is very poor.
  • penile
    penile Registered Users Posts: 6
    Master Explorer
    MikkoK wrote:
    Browni wrote:

Ian

Cheers, Mikko

Do you have news for the new sw release with poi's bmp icons support? And them visualization while you driving?
  • rayjames007
    rayjames007 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Any update on this just upgraded from Live1005 and could upload both cannot believe I have lost functionality going to the flagship unit.
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
    Superuser
    Still not possible ................... if ever.
  • gaelicc
    gaelicc Registered Users Posts: 10
    Legendary Explorer
    Hi Mikkok,
    It's now almost 12 months since you stated that adding images to custom pois would be passed on to the MyDrive team. I've just bought a GO 6100 so that I can provide a service for motorhome travellers to download custom pois for interesting locations. Compared with Garmin and Navman, what I can offer for Tomtom users is so inferior it is almost unbelieveable. Different poi images provide useful information, and being able to see them on the gps map while driving is just a basic requirement. Garmin and Navman make this easy. WHEN is Tomtom going to provide this?
  • yoyo5757
    yoyo5757 Registered Users Posts: 166
    Master Explorer
    Please also see related post in "GO and START 40, 50, 60 series / GO 400, 500, 600 / 5000, 6000 (MyDrive)"
    Question: Two (plus) years on and still no POI visibility on map.
  • gaelicc
    gaelicc Registered Users Posts: 10
    Legendary Explorer
    Thanks!
  • DCGreen
    DCGreen Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Since only buying Navman units since 2004 (and upgrading models every year), 2 weeks ago, I decided to jump ship and buy my first TomTom Go 510. In the short ownership of this unit I am totally disappointed in what I have now purchased, and wish that I hadn't let the Salesman tell me how good they were. Even an attempt to call the local (Australian) TomTom Support I found a recorded message informing me that Support was no longer available and to refer to the FAQs on the website.

What is missing from the GO 510 that Navman has had since the late 2000s are:
    1. Unable to preview a route that does not start from current location.
    2. Unable to have useful images for saved "My Places" such a hotel chain logo etc.
    3. Missing POI information of say Hotels eg. phone numbers, email addresses.

I have now decided to bring my last Navman out of mothballs and purchase another Western/Eastern Europe maps, (that being the reason I decided (coerced) into buying TomTom with free life-time world maps). My suspicion, from MikkoK comments ,is that TomTom may not be around for the obtaining Life-time maps into the near future.

Reading the above comments with MikkoK continually saying how he will give feedback is just a farce, as the time frame I see between complaints and non-responses, leads me to believe that TomTom are NOT interested in servicing customers and wish you would all go away. Being a software developer myself, I know that it would take months, not years to add the modules that obviously required to bring the TomTom units back to a usbale unit. Perhaps I could have purchased an Aldi navigation unit and received a my usable system.
  • Hendrikd
    Hendrikd Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    still not possible to add bmp's of different kinds of poi's??? On the map they all look the same ... a circle with a cross. Very annoying.
    (Go 5200)
  • einhoven63
    einhoven63 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Neophyte Traveler
    Yep - I also raised this issue with TomTom support earlier this week for the Go520 I just bought and received the stock answer "it will be passed to product dev team". Dreadful. It's almost like they don't want customers.
  • Hendrikd
    Hendrikd Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    I received this answer from TT: "Wat betreft het toevoegen van .bmp bestanden, deze functie is helaas niet meer beschikbaar, en zal in de toekomst ook niet meer toegevoegd worden."

Concerning the adding of bmp files, this function is unfortunately no longer available and it won't be added in the future anymore."

:(