Go Mobile for Android with old .ov2 file not working - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Go Mobile for Android with old .ov2 file not working

Comments

• James_VJames_V Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Is there a way to get me about 20 POI's that aren't working using this forum? Can you perhaps anonymise them and paste them here maybe? I'll have a go and see if I can see what the problem is.

The app does seem quite buggy and I was surprised when I finally got it to work. I have about 1400 POI's installed by the way, so the number of them doesn't seem to be critical.
  • elfhelmelfhelm Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    So basically to have POIs in the new Tomtom Go mobile app these are the steps to be done (or what I did to make it work):

1. Open the .OV2 file that you need with Extra POI editor
    2. Save it as M-Column XLSX
    3. Make sure Longitude is the 1st column, followed by Latitude and POI name (if there isn't a separate first row with the column names, make one yourselves).
    4. Sorting must be done ascending by the Longitude column
    5. Save it again as XLSX within Excel
    6. Open it with Extra_POI_Editor and save it again as OV2, with the name XXX_Favorites.OV2
    7. Place it in /CARD/Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois, where CARD is the card where the app was installed, it may be on internal or external memory.
    8. Open Tomtom Go Mobile, go to My Places and you will find a directory with the name XXX that you gave to the OV2 file. When you open it, there should be the POIs and you can search them by name.

Note: If you have multiple rows like I did in the POI Name field, open the original OV2 file with TomPoiEdr then save it as CSV Unicode UTF-8, this will remove the extra rows as TomPoiEdr only sees one row per case. Then open it with Excel, remove whatever is extra from the name (I did it with Replace command), save it as XSLX, open it with Extra POI editor and save it as OV2.

Trying again with other files to confirm this.
    yes, 2nd file with over 2500 POIs is in My Places, working as described above. But in order to search you POIs, you have to enter the directory that you created and search on the above space. You can not go to Search, click on Whole map or Points of Interest or anywhere else and do the search there. This is too bad, but it's just 2 taps away, which is awesome!

Thanks go to Tomtom team who created this app even if they don't officially support POIs, that got my gears working. To the nice lady at the customer support that told me about the Favorites.ov2 file, to all of you who put me on the right track and to Micro$ Excel, TomPoiEdr for not being able to see multiple rows in one case and of course Extra POI Editor, go to their website and make a donation, great work guys! I hope that the dev team will not change anything in the near future so we can use our beloved POIs for a long time now.
  • James_VJames_V Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    That's quite a lot more than I had to do, but I'm glad to hear it's working for you now.

Let's hope Tomtom developers are watching as there is obviously a lot they can do to make this app more usable for those of us with POI's.
  • toothtooth Posts: 103 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    @Zsolt, fairly speaking, they never mentioned officially that the POIs weren't supported either.

It is actually fairly typical of tomtom's lack of customer care nowadays that little or no guidance is offered to potential customers before they spend their money. Yes indeed it is a free world where other options are available but sadly, many people on here have parted with their cash only to then find out that these valuable features are missing.

Not really playing the game is it?
    I managed to make the DKV.OV2 file to work, it has a little under 40.000 POIs. So the number of entries is quite high for the average user... and it shows the closest ones which is a very nice feature, no need to search for the gas stations if you run out of fuel. They can be added as intermediate points by searching along the route (up to 183km for me) or near city etc. so it goes well. Today was a good day for Tomtom, they regained me as a client.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,006 Superusers
    @tooth: Up to the end of April this year, even the PNDs with the same NavKit didn't have POIs either. Also it is not a basis for an "argument" to say what they DIDN'T say beeing included. If it is not said the feature is available, then by default common sense dictates that it is not available.

@all: On the PNDs there is a size limit of 2MB for a POI category.
  • NukeThemAllNukeThemAll Posts: 52 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    elfhelm, this worked perfectly for me! I found that I could name the .ov2 file anything I wanted and it was indeed recognised by the app. Thanks hugely for sorting this out.
  • ranaamerindiaranaamerindia Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    elfhelm wrote:
    So basically to have POIs in the new Tomtom Go mobile app these are the steps to be done (or what I did to make it work):

1. Open the .OV2 file that you need with Extra POI editor
    2. Save it as M-Column XLSX
    3. Make sure Longitude is the 1st column, followed by Latitude and POI name (if there isn't a separate first row with the column names, make one yourselves).
    4. Sorting must be done ascending by the Longitude column
    5. Save it again as XLSX within Excel
    6. Open it with Extra_POI_Editor and save it again as OV2, with the name XXX_Favorites.OV2

Sorry, but I need to correct you: the extension MUST be .ov2 (please notice the lower case).
    Thank you anyway for this, it worked like a charm for me and now, finally, I have my LPG gas stations list for whole Europe!
    I've also found that the .ov2 POI files from a very popular 'crowd-sourced UK website' are already in the correct format such that they can be copied into the directory specified earlier and work just fine. (I assume that I would not be allowed to insert a link to this site?)

Using such 3rd-party POIs wouldn't be necessary if the TT search capability were anywhere near as good as Google's - but it isn't, certainly not in my locality where its hit rate is less than 30% for the things I was looking for.
    TT's online search is really the TomTom Places database only, not a real web search.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,073 [Supreme Pioneer]
    I've also found that the .ov2 POI files from a very popular 'crowd-sourced UK website' are already in the correct format such that they can be copied into the directory specified earlier and work just fine. (I assume that I would not be allowed to insert a link to this site?)
    Because that POI resource site does not compete with any product or service of TomTom - indeed it only tends to enhance the fuctionality of their app - I see no basis for their objecting to your identifying it here.
    Thanks Zsolt: I'd kind of hoped that the database would be a bit more developed by now (it's been going ever since TT lost the right to use the Google search capability) but alas it is seriously lacking.

tgold: thanks for the encouragement, the web site I use for POIs is http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

I would make a plea for those readers who use the above POI set: please, please do the decent thing and look around the POIs in your area. Are there any that are missing? (has Mr Premier Inn opened yet another hotel down the road?) Are they correct? (for instance, has that fuel station changed brands, has that fish and chip shop become a pizza takeaway.....you get my drift I'm sure). Are the POIs correctly located? (eg for National Trust properties, the POI should be located at the car park entrance - the house may be some distance away and not accessible by the 'post-code' location).

The pocketgpsworld site has full instructions for amending or adding a POI. The success of the site is entirely dependent on member contributions: if it gets moribund, your only decent search capability will be Google, with the 'fun' of using the Google search result and translating it into a location for TT GO (or, of course, using Google Navigation!)
  • IanS100IanS100 Posts: 302 [Supreme Navigator]
    I'm always surprised that more businesses don't compile their own accurate corporate poi database & keep them up to date.
    There is also the POI Plaza for 3rd party POIs.

Individual businesses can report their names and locations via the MSR Tool, chains can report their locations and so via places.tomtom.com to TT. Whichever POI wouldn't make it to their maps on the devices will end up in the TT Places database and will be available via the online search.
  • patrickmaherpatrickmaher Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My OLD .OV2 works with android root. Don't know why yours won't work..
  • Jan321Jan321 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My experience.

The old tomtom navigation had a Favorites.ov2 file. This one can be read out with an POI Editor. Making new POI files (or edit old ones) with Extra POI Editor is possible and save them in ov2 format.

The .ov2 files (DONT USE THE Favorites.ov2 file name, for me that didn't work) can be copied to the ...\pois. Then they will appear as FOLDERS in the My Places.

The new TomTom mobile go uses the locations.sqlite from the ...\fav folder. This one can probably not be opened by a SQLite editor because it seems that TT uses sqlcipher (https://www.zetetic.net/sqlcipher/design/) for there program. So most likely it's encrypted.

I have no idea why TT makes it that hard to edit and share personal POI's. It's very, very irritating no wonder that people switch to another navigation.

Make the PIO's open and let people share POIs, writing programs to connect with other data sources for POI's ....
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 120 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Geez! Jan321 is absolutely right. I've been following this for months and thought it was too hard. After reading, Jan321's post above, I dragged some old POI's I used on my old stand-alone auto device to my phone's\pois directory. IT WORKS. Required NO reformatting/editing of the .ov2 file.

Not sure how this seemed so complicated.
    schneirdernet, it isn't at all complicated PROVIDED the POIs in your .ov2 file have been sorted as described above. Many POI sources seem to provide files which conform to this requirement - in which case, as you say, place the POIs in the appropriate folder, job done. Still puzzled why TT don't acknowledge this and give some useful help (might be against the TT company ethos.....!)
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 120 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    All mine were downloaded as pre-canned POIs. Others I convert with an program called POIConverter. Never knew it sorted them as some were GPX and CSV. Anyway, I'm happy. The can't see the forest for the trees thing through me off.
  • KyotrixKyotrix Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hi. I don't understand ( my english is bad, sorry )
    How save my favorites tomtom GO 1.8, and reloading them after a new installation?
    If i create 3/4 favorites, copy 2 files sqlite into directory FAV on pc, delete favorites from menu tomtom, recopy 2 file into tomtom, the favorites reappear.
    But if i uninstall tomtom, reinstall tomtom, recopy 2 files sqlite on tomtom, favorites don't reappear.
    If i copy favorites.ov2 don't work. If i copy ALL directory ...\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp, don't work/reappear.
    If i open favorites.ov2 with extra poi editor, it say: invalid or unsupported .ov2.

Help
    Kyotrix wrote:
    Hi. I don't understand ( my english is bad, sorry )
    How save my favorites tomtom GO 1.8, and reloading them after a new installation?
    Your English if fine, however saving the My Places items is not supported by the GO Mobile app. Many user have expressed their hopes that this will become possible in some future version.
  • KyotrixKyotrix Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Any news?
    The need to manually create me my POI with third-party programs (ES Extra POI Editor) is really annoying.
    Same thing the fact that they can not save your favorite and always having to create POI externally.
    If TomTom does not change this, I will be forced to abandon it altogether. :(
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Kyotrix,

Thanks for your feedback!

Since the v1.10 update last week you can now sync POIs with MyDrive :D For more information and troubleshooting tips for MyDrive, please see this FAQ.

I'll log your feedback as an improvement request for the MyDrive team.

Cheers, Mikko