Go Mobile for Android with old .ov2 file not working — TomTom Community

Go Mobile for Android with old .ov2 file not working

BojeBoje Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
Hi.

I have looked around the forum and cannot find a soulition for my problem.

My phone are rooted and when I use Root Browser I find this:
storage\usbdisk0\ No more folders
data\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files No files\files folder
sdcard\Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files No files\files folder
storage\sdcard0\Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files No files\files folder
extSdCard\Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois\Favorites.ov2
storage\sdcard1\Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois\Favorites.ov2
Out from this can I conclude that extSdCard and storage\sdcard1 must be the same and my Favorites.ov2 file are placed here in \Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois\.

My old Favorites.ov2 are from TomTom Europe app in Android.
I have upgraded to TomTom Go Mobile for Android.
I have copied my old Favorites.ov2 file to the folder.

What can I do?

With best regards
Boje.

Comments

• BojeBoje Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi again!

I have tried to clear the App settings and that how to get rip of the .ov2 file.
    I have manually typed in 4 new POIs.
    Copied my Favorites.ov2 file to my PC and opened it with POI Editor for TomTom.
    I can open the file but NOT see any content!

Are we now talking about a .ov2 file are no longer a .ov2 file :?
    Hi again again!

It seems to when I manually type in new POIs inside the app TomTom Go Mobile do the file \Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois\Favorites.ov2 NOT change in size, date or time :(

So where are the POIs saved?
  • dooddood Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Rename the favourites.ov2 to old-favourites.ov2 it works for me
    Hi dood.

If the Favorites.ov2 (made in TomTom Europe) in the folder \Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois\ are renamed to old-favourites.ov2 can I in My places see old-favourites but not containing any POIs :(
    So not working with me. But now have I also manually typed in all my 102 POIs from the TomTom Europe POI file.
    So now are there to questions:
    1. What to do to use an old POI file made with in TomTom Europe in TomTom Go Mobile?
    2. Where are the new POIs newly made i TomTom Go Mobile saved?

With best regards
    Boje.
  • otas_peotas_pe Posts: 79 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I think that there is no compatibility between old and new app which uses sql database for favorites storage.

Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/fav/locations.sqlite
    Hi otas_pe.

I think it could be right :)
    But what do the markers.sqlite then do?
    To do a backup of POIs in TomTom Go Mobile, only make a copy of locations.sqlite or ?

With best regards
    Boje.
  • dooddood Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I took the favourites from TomTom europe (need root) and renamed and added to the new TomTom app, works perfect with visible POI under my places.
  • navkingnavking Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Dood,

Were you able to get your POI icons to appear on the map and in list view?
    Hi navking.

The old POIs from TomTom Europe copied to TomTom Go Mobile (\Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois\Favorites.ov2) could I not see in My Places list view. About POI icons on the map, not tested!

With best regards
    Boje.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,073 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Boje wrote:
    The old POIs from TomTom Europe copied to TomTom Go Mobile (\Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois\Favorites.ov2) could I not see in My Places list view. About POI icons on the map, not tested!
    That is not a folder or directory but the URL for a file. Could you say again what filename you used and the folder where you placed it?
    Hi tgold.

Folder : storage\sdcard1\Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois\
    Filename : Favorites.ov2

With best regards
    Boje.
    Boje wrote:
    Folder : storage\sdcard1\Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois\
    Filename : Favorites.ov2
    I believe that is a reserved file name. Try renaming to say old_Favorites.ov2 and see whether that makes it visible in My Places.
    Hi tgold.

As wtitten before in this thread:
    If the Favorites.ov2 (made in TomTom Europe) in the folder Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois\ are renamed to old-favourites.ov2 can I in My places see old-favourites but not containing any POIs.
    otas_pe and I think that the new POIs are saved in Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/fav/locations.sqlite

I have manually type in all my 102 POIs into TomTom Go Mobile's My Places. So I have no big need for the old Favorites.ov2.
    To make a backup of the new POIs just copy Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/fav/locations.sqlite or ?
    Do you know a Windows software like POI Editor for TomTom where man can edit locations.sqlite?

With best regards
    Boje.
    I know nothing about where or how points saved to My Places by the GO Mobile app are stored.
  • navkingnavking Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Boje wrote:
    Do you know a Windows software like POI Editor for TomTom where man can edit locations.sqlite?

With best regards
    Boje.

Boje

Try googling 'SQLite browser'.
  • nixmitnixmit Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    I installed SQLitebrowser, both the portable and the Windows version, but it says the .sqlite files from TomTom Go Mobile are invalid.

I'm using different TomTom's for almost 15 years now, and this is the first one with less features than previous ones: adding POIS to a map, setting your own colour scheme, setting your own arrow, no detailed map without a route etc.
    Giving away a beta for free is not wat I expected . . .
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,006 Superusers
    Fairly speaking, they never mentioned officially that the POIs are supported. It is a co-incidence that actually some users found a workaround to make it work.
  • box2k2box2k2 Posts: 34 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Zsolt wrote:
    Fairly speaking, they never mentioned officially that the POIs are supported. It is a co-incidence that actually some users found a workaround to make it work.

This is the same lame answer that's been thrown at this problem for years. It's a feature people want (and use) and the fact that it's still officially absent is frankly baffling (and slightly insulting imho).

To hopefully answer the OPs question, I found an ov2 file of mine that worked ok on the previous app but did not work on the new. I ended up loading it into Extra POI Editor, making a minor change, and saving out again. This obviously did some tidying which made it work again. Good luck!
    Lame or not lame, if not supported than not supported. It is a free world, you can choose any other brand that doesn't insult you...
  • box2k2box2k2 Posts: 34 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Zsolt wrote:
    Lame or not lame, if not supported than not supported. It is a free world, you can choose any other brand that doesn't insult you...

And you've still failed to add anything useful to the thread. Bravo.
    Let it be my problem :)
  • BraunstonBruceBraunstonBruce Posts: 56 [Master Explorer]
    I've added about 25000 pois to my app but I've yet to discover what gets saved in the favorites.ov2 file. There's only 21 bytes in the file and the date of the file hasn't changed since I first loaded the app. If I add to 'My Places' by long pressing on the map the locations get saved into the 'My Places' list but no change occurs to the favorites file.
    So what's it for? I've found no way of saving to it or navigating to a location in it.
  • James_VJames_V Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I have spent several hours today trying to get .OV2 poi's from my standalone Tomtom to work with the Tomtom app for Android.

I emailed Tomtom yesterday. They assured me it wasn't possible. They were wrong, I have it working.

Most of the clues in getting it to work are in this forum, however there is a very important point not mentioned so far.

Firstly, as stated above, you can drop your .OV2 files into the folder:

\SD Card(1)\Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois

Please note that "SD Card(1)" might be different on your phone.

You can move your OV2 files onto your mobile phone simply with a free program like MobileGo: http://mobilego.wondershare.com/

Once you have uploaded your OV2 file to your phone you should see it available for searching under "My Places" in the main menu.

Critically however, your OV2 file MUST have the entries in it sorted before uploading, or you will most likely end up with a "No POI found" type message.

I have found that sorting your entries by Longitude works fine, sorting by Latitude may work too.

You can sort your OV2 files using something like Tony Anderson's free POI Editor at http://softop.tomtomusers.com/TomPoiEdr/

I believe there's another program called POI Editor, so make sure you get the right one.

Once they are sorted you should be able to view and search them, making this app well worth using
    They said you can't as it is not a supported function. It simply works...so happy days :)
  • elfhelmelfhelm Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I am fiddling for the past 3 hours with what you said, James_V... I have a file with a little over 3000 POIs that I really need to put in my new Tomtom Go Mobile app. Problem is, all POIs have a suffix "SITE : " in front and it will show the error "No Pois Found". If I use the TomPoiEdr app to remove the suffix, I have to do it manually for each entry.

I tried with about 5, I removed all the suffixes, the phone numbers (they all had 1 in the phone column) and deleted the rest. I added it and I can see the 5 entries. Then I tried with 20, but only some show up. Depending on the arrangement - latitude ascending, descending, longitude A/D, longitude in front, randomly some disappear. I checked and the coordinates have the same format, and names are LLNNNN (L=letter, N=number) for each, so no fancy entries in the name either.

Then I tried to export the file in csv format, I opened it up in Excel and replaced "CODE : " with no value and I did a cleanup. I opened again the CSV file with TomPoiEdr and saved it as OV2 then imported it... again nothing shows up. I removed all but 5 entries and tried multiple arrangements but it just won't work.

Now I am really puzzled, I could use some help to determine exactly what should be the proper arrangement - Name ascending/descending, Latitude or Longitude first, Lat or Long ascending or descending... there are so many variables. How many entries can it support in one folder?

If we can manage to sort this out, then we will be able to import POIs without a hitch. I also tried with DKV POIs, if you go to their mobile site, you can find DKV.OV2 for download (over 39000 petrol stations that support payment via DKV) which is also a very useful file for companies that have car fleets and use DKV payment services. Just the right sequence, that's all...

Ping me if you find anything, I will keep trying in the mean time!