GO - Choose Type of Route — TomTom Community

GO - Choose Type of Route

tgoldtgold Posts: 2,187 [Revered Voyager]
The older Navigation app allowed one to set the default route type to "Always ask me". The GO app does not allow that and requires Fastest or Shortest or Walking etc. but not to always ask the type. So for each route one must first allow the app to calculate whatever is the default route type and when that is wrong one must go back through the Current Route menu to Change Route Type. For users like me who employ the app variously for walking, cycling and driving the absence of the "Always ask me" route type needlessly wastes route planning time. May we please get back "Always ask me"? Thanks.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    HI tgold,

Thanks for your feedback!

I'll forward this to the mobile team.

Cheers, Mikko
  • schuylerschuyler Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Not only is this correct, but even when you choose walking route in settings, when you choose to navigate, it always displays driving route. The only way to get walking route is after you establish a driving route, you must go to "current route" and change route type to walking. Then is displays the corrent info for walking, but when you try to save this modified route to "my routes" it saves it as a driving route. You must then bring it up and modify it as described above.
    These are far too many steps to go through when you try to do something that worked smoothly in the previous android app or GO software. This needs to be corrected , please.
    schuyler wrote:
    Not only is this correct, but even when you choose walking route in settings, when you choose to navigate, it always displays driving route. The only way to get walking route is after you establish a driving route, you must go to

I can't reproduce that. For me it keeps the route type I choose. Can you re-install the app, please?

Cheers, Mikko
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,187 [Revered Voyager]
    MikkoK wrote:
    schuyler wrote:
    Not only is this correct, but even when you choose walking route in settings, when you choose to navigate, it always displays driving route. The only way to get walking route is after you establish a driving route, you must go to

I can't reproduce that. For me it keeps the route type I choose. Can you re-install the app, please?
    Maybe they appeared to schuyler to be driving routes because they display Gas Stations along the way and Parking at the destination and those are clearly inappropriate and unhelpful to the walker.
  • DeltaBlastDeltaBlast Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    HI tgold,

Thanks for your feedback!

I'll forward this to the mobile team.

Cheers, Mikko

So.. that was 5 months ago. Any progress? We're still stuck without the "ask me" option.
  • sergebirosergebiro Posts: 158 [Outstanding Explorer]
    So what's the status on this? I mean it probably doesn't take more than 6 months for TT developers to implement an "ask me" option, right? ;-)
  • SidazSidaz Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes, PLEASE add the default route type option "Always Ask", as we used to have in older devices.
  • Ian70000Ian70000 Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
    This would be helpful. I liked using the always ask option on the older TomTom app.
  • GSA-driverGSA-driver Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Yes indeed... Me too!
    Where are we on this? Any progress?
    Hi Serge,

Thanks for bumping this!

I'm afraid, I've misunderstood this feature. Actually the Always ask option in the app is only for recalculation in case a faster route is found.

We've got requests for the route type feature also from portable navigation device users and it has been forwarded to the product team. Unfortunately, at this point I have no further information when we can expect to see this feature.

Cheers, Mikko
    Ok thanks for the heads-up Mikko. Do let us know if you have any further information :-)
  • GDP80GDP80 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The feature to 'always ask' for the type of route used to work perfectly on the Tom tom Europe Android App. It asked which type of rout you wanted each time the route was calculated. This is a very useful feature as you don't alway want the same type of route to be planned.

Why is this feature that so many people clearly find useful not possible on the new Tom Tom versions? This is insult to injury when Android App users have been forced into using the, in many ways inferior, Tom Tom Go App, due to Tom Tom Europe not being supported on Android 6 and later.
    And it's soooo easy to implement...
  • TdBTdB Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I found this thread through Google. I really REALLY miss the 'always ask' feature when it comes to route type. Sometimes I'm on a motorcycle (no highways) and sometimes drive a car (fastest route). It's annoying to have to go through the menu each time. So, TomTom, what's the status??

On a sidenote, I can't get my head around the fact TomTom chose to 'dumb down' the app and interface, just to give it a fresh-ish look. Menu icons are too big, screen is cluttered, features are missing, etc.
    I find it quite amazing that TomTom can't implement such an easy feature. Some specific reason maybe?
  • pa5capa5ca Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    An other year of the calendar .. and we still not have the function back. How difficult is this..
    Tom Tom is wondering why people go to Mio or other brand navigators.

Come on Tom Tom make the feature available again...

Yours

Frans...
    pa5ca wrote:
    An other year of the calendar .. and we still not have the function back. How difficult is this..
    Tom Tom is wondering why people go to Mio or other brand navigators.

Come on Tom Tom make the feature available again...

Yours

Frans...
    +1