Features — TomTom Community

Features

MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
edited January 2019 in Forum feedback
Hi all,

As mentioned here before, we're working hard with InSided to make this the kick-**** forum you all want and deserve :D I've also promised to post some info about what we're working on and I'll list some of the top items below. But first I'd like to highlight some features of this new forum we didn't have on the old one.

[h3]Header buttons[/h3]
145722e4-fb70-4e0a-87e8-ac9f62261c05.jpg
As you've noticed we have the Recent topics and Help others buttons on the floating header now. We've already noticed that it would be handy to be able to filter these search results by e.g. board. Same applies to search results in general.

[h3]Board structure[/h3]
We recently introduced the Ask a question board for new users who are not sure where to post. Staff members will move posts from this board to there proper destinations. We're also planning to enable some of the more tenured forum users to do that.

Tip: If you don't find your post back you can find them through the profile menu (see Profile below).

[h3Widget[/h3]
37257600-291d-4330-834e-e114f6584924.jpg
There's also a widget on the landing page helping you to find the most popular and recent topics as well as answered questions (more for new users).

[h3]Badges[/h3]
On this new forum we have the opportunity to grant you badges for your contributions on the forum. At launch we introduced the Expert badges. These are granted for users contributing on a specific board, e.g. Rider or Multi-Sports. More will come later to "gamify" the forum and make it more fun :).

[h3]Stats[/h3]
3d3c43b4-4afa-4178-bfea-436ec5d7a665.jpg
This is a standard widget on InSided forums. While the statistics may not be very interesting, you might find it handy to see who's online (the last 10). From here you can also share stuff from the forum in other social media.

[h3]Profile[/h3]
73d90cd1-3028-4d46-80e6-b8cab971d271.jpg
You can access different parts of your profile from the menu, e.g. the Inbox for your private messages and the topics you've posted. Here you can also see and find back the solutions you've provided.

[h3]Announcements[/h3]
5a3a1aa7-f0c6-412a-80e7-53444db48bca.png
You can find announcements of e.g. new software releases on the boards where your device is discussed.

[h3]What's coming?[/h3]
As mentioned, we've been working hard to establish, prioritise and maintain a list of features and functionalities we'd like to have on this forum. The whole list is very long and also includes stuff for the backend we use to analyse and moderate the forum so I'll include here a few of the most significant ones (each consists of multiple items). Unfortunately, I don't have any ETAs for these to provide you, but I'll do my best to keep this list up-to-date and give ETAs if/when possible.
  • More BBcode support: e.g. fonts, colours, spoiler tag, signatures
    ) tags are now available :D
  • Status 2: You can now change the colour of the text as well ().
  • Posting links: Currently links can only be posted with a BBcode tag.
  • Status: You can now post links on the forum as well as in private messages :D
  • Unread post status: Better visibility and management of read status of posts on board and topic level (e.g. jump to first unread post, view number of unread posts on topic/board, overview)
  • Status: When logged in the number of new (unread) posts since registration are now shown on board and topic level. There's a setting for this in the profile settings. Also the green/gray bubbles reflect the (un)read topics on a board. These counters can be reset with the Mark (this) forum read button in the bottom.
  • Status 2: New topics and topics with new comments are now shown in bold.
  • Edit posts: Allow users to edit their posts and subject titles any time (instead of the current 60 minutes)
  • Show device model on posts (from profile settings)
  • Status: The products fields from your profile page are now shown below your username on each post
  • Full text editor
  • Search: Advanced search, search per category/board, user search
  • Subscribe to boards: Get email/pop up notification updates on new topics started
Mobile version
  • Mobile version lacking in features: The mobile version is currently lacking in some features, e.g. navigation and post editing.
  • Status: We have requested InSided to provide these features and this is in their backlog. Meanwhile, you can use the desktop view (post editing still won't work).
  • Update: Private messaging now works in the mobile version as well :D
  • Update 2: New topics/comments are now shown on mobile as well :D
  • Update 3: Page navigation buttons are now also on top of the comments :D

As always your feedback is very welcome!

Happy posting! :D

Cheers, Mikko

Comments

• tgoldtgold Posts: 2,159 [Revered Voyager]
    You had mentioned before that an RSS feed would return, but that item is not present on this list.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    tgold wrote:
    You had mentioned before that an RSS feed would return, but that item is not present on this list.

True. It's on the list, but not very high on it. As mentioned above, the whole list is very long. I post here the top issues InSided is working on at the moment and update the list as they proceed to items further down on the list.

But if you're favourite features/functionalities are not mentioned, feel free to ask and I'll check the status or add it to our backlog list to be prioritised.

Cheers, Mikko
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,159 [Revered Voyager]
    Yes, please add RSS syndication to the prioritised backlog list and let me know its status.
    tgold wrote:
    Yes, please add RSS syndication to the prioritised backlog list and let me know its status.

As mentioned, it is on the list ;) As mentioned in the OP I won't be posting here the whole list but the top few. The items I'm posting here can be expected to be delivered within a few weeks. I'll keep updating the post and add new things as they reach the top of the list.

Cheers, Mikko
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,821
    Superuser
    Hi Niall,

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm being as specific as I can with the information I get from InSided regarding their progress.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi all,

I updated the OP regarding features in the mobile version.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi all,

One feature is off the list and you can now see the country of every poster :D

Cheers, Mikko
    Superuser
    @Mikko
    Nice to see the country, but 28 days to do 1 cosmetic change, means we will be waiting for Xmas presents to get what we really need :cool:
    Hi all,

A couple of more BBcodes are now available :D

Cheers, Mikko
    Superuser
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

A couple of more BBcodes are now available :D

Cheers, Mikko

A bland statement without examples is a useful as a chocolate teapot :D
    Niall wrote:
    A bland statement without examples is a useful as a chocolate teapot :D

I updated (already yesterday) the OP with more information.

Cheers, Mikko
    Superuser
    @Mikkok

When you edit the OP (which miraculously you seem to be able to do, and we can't edit old posts :@ ) can you at-least highlight the changes with maybe the standard "|" at the start of a line you have changed?
    Also please update the "?" list of BB codes to reflect your statement in the OP
    What is the BB code for strikeout?
    Hi Niall,

I'll try to be more clear about the updates in the future :D

The new BBcodes are now mentioned in the "text formatting" pop-up.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi all,

Just updated the OP regarding unread posts :D I updated also the Known issues post regarding this feature.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi all,

We now have also a BBcode for text colours.

I also added an explanation that the new posts shown on board and topic level are since registration. Some further improvements of this feature are on there way and I will post back here once they're live.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi all,

Added a mention of the new Announcements feature to the post.

Cheers, Mikko
    Superuser
    What is the time scale for the missing fetures

Also when are we going to get the basic navigation, that I requested over 4 months ago; in-particular a method of going through the topics ("next" / "previous") ?
    Hi Niall,

InSided is currently working on further improvements on the larger "unread posts" feature. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact ETA to tell you to you should be seeing some results soon. I'll keep you posted.

The navigation features are a bit further down the list as we have prioritised some other features, such as improved search, above it.

We recently re-prioritised the list so I'll have to see if my list here needs updating.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi all,

Updated regarding posting links.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi all,

Updated a new feature on the mobile version: New topics/comments :D

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi all,

I added the "subscribe to board" feature on the list as it's close to the top of the backlog at the moment. I also updated the status regarding the unread posts.

Cheers, Mikko
    Another update regarding unread posts.
    Hi all,

A couple of new things: Products shown on posts and page navigation on mobile :D

Cheers, Mikko
    Superuser
    @Mikko
    Maybe you could use colours to highlight what you have added/changed :)