How to get to the first unread message? — TomTom Community

How to get to the first unread message?

tarupitarupi Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Forum feedback
In old forum clicking subject got you to the first unread message, but I can't find that function anywhere?

Comments

• DitteDitte Posts: 7,280 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Tarupi,

We are working on having that functionality back as soon as possible. :)

All the best,
    Ditte
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi tarupi,

Unread messages on the new forum are marked with f6956d8f-2424-4723-81e3-00abed00626b.jpg and read messages with 9a34f918-e99b-44e5-89c2-58846a035ce8.jpg

I'd also recommend you to check the updated how to FAQs at https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/how-to-use-the-forum-35

Cheers, Mikko
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,900
    Superusers
    Hi Mikko, this doesn't seem to work properly for me. In this board I have a lot of topics with unread messages, but the icons are all grey.
    Hi Megalos,

We've also noticed it's not always working. This has been reported to InSided for investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
  • lojolojo Posts: 333 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Or add some option to have the messages sorted newest first? That would do it for me.

In the mobile version (ios & chrome). I don't seem to be able to click the control to go to last page.
    Hi lojo,

Try this (see attachment)

Cheers, Mikko
    I did that once already but it think it worked only in the current thread, not as a permanent solution.

It will be a few days until I am back browsing with a full blown browser.

The option is not present in the mobile version.
    Hi lojo,

Yes, it doesn't get saved. Customisable settings are also coming, as well as more options in the mobile version :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • wayne26wayne26 Posts: 276 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Hi

Sorry I'm back been away awhile. So did I miss some thing on how do set the page so the you see the newest first.
    Yes I have seen the highlight "Oldest first" the you tap it then select newest first, but this is very slow.

Do we now have an option in setting that I missed, sorry:cool:
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,311
    Superusers
    Unfortunately, not yet ............ frustrating to say the least!
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,155 [Revered Voyager]
    wayne26 wrote:
    Yes I have seen the highlight "Oldest first" the you tap it then select newest first, but this is very slow.
    When one enters a forum the order of display is: last modified threads first. Why? Because it's bleeding obvious that is the order of most interest. One must question the mentality of whoever chose "oldest first" as the default order for comments within threads.
    tgold wrote:
    When one enters a forum the order of display is: last modified threads first. Why? Because it's bleeding obvious that is the order of most interest. One must question the mentality of whoever chose "oldest first" as the default order for comments within threads.

I for one would appreciate if more people would actually read the whole thread before posting ;)

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    tgold wrote:
    I for one would appreciate if more people would actually read the whole thread before posting ;)
    Every time? The implied assumption is that the typical visitor to a thread is reading it the first time. Is that valid or helpful? Maybe the setting of the Subscribe flag could affect this annoying behaviour.

Cheers, Mikko

What a funny answer. Agree with tgold, most of us that use the forum do it on a fairly regular bases. Therefore we are look at the same thread over and over.
    So the better option for the most often user is to go to the newest first, but of course the you can have the option to go to the oldest. this would be the same for all the other forums that use regularly.

Regard Wayne
    Hi all,

We've requested InSided to make a profile setting for this so you can choose as your default what ever suits you best.

Cheers, Mikko
    Mikko

That would be fantastic, hope it is soon, see other post

Regards Wayne
    Hi all,

Forgot to mention it here, but there's now a new comments counter for each board on the landing page and a new post count on every board with a link to the first new post :D For more about this feature, please see the Features post.

Cheers, Mikko
    Mikko

Thank you for the feed back.

Wayne
    What about the feature for mobile users?
    MikkoK wrote:
    We've requested InSided to make a profile setting for this so you can choose as your default what ever suits you best.
    This important feature seems to be a struggle for the developer. I have a suggestion - change the default such that Subscribed topics are automatically set to bring the user to the Newest post and for all other topics start at the top of the thread. That logic makes sense to me and it may be simpler to program.

Do you have any news on restoring RSS syndication?