Renault RLink - Cannot get live traffic — TomTom Community

Renault RLink - Cannot get live traffic

slaneyrwslaneyrw Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Built in car navigation
Asking here as Renault support is unable to answer my questions...

My TOMTOM system in my Renault RLink seems to have a live connection but I cannot get live traffic.  My system tells me that my live traffic subscription(?) should be active until Sept/2015.

Does Renault have to do something their end, or is something else wrong ?

Cheers...

Rob.

ps. New vehicle purchased on Sep/2014

Comments

• Troubadix12Troubadix12 Posts: 1,954 [Revered Voyager]
    Hi slaneyrw,

as I wrote in your other thread ...

"Sorry, but RLink-SatNav's are solely supported by Renault. Therefore please call Renault-Support or use Renault-Forum. It is quite unlikely to get answers here. There are very few RLink-User here in the Community, who can help you.:("

Regards

Troubadix12
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 976 [Revered Pioneer]
    Here's a temporary solution I received from R-Link in January 2014...

This issue is a known issue, is being currently investigated and there is a transitory solution.  I would advise you to try the following procedure which was suggested by my technical team:

Go to navigation menu,
    Within the Settings
                               Go to  Advance
                                                        Go To Traffic Source.

1. Choose and validate the RDS-TMS source of Traffic
    2. Choose and validate the previous source

After two minutes, the system will try to reconnect to the HD Traffic and the yellow sign should disappear and the HD should work again.

It is understood that whilst this is a transitory solution, it does allow you to get HD Traffic back.  

UNQUOTE

Actually, for points 1 and 2 above, you select the RDS-TMC traffic source, then DONE, then do the same again, but second time round you must select traffic source as HD Traffic.

It is temporary and you'll find you have to do it again quite often.

I suffered this fault for 14 months, it went back to the dealer several times and I was in contact with Renault Customer Services about it. It has now (two weeks ago) come back once again from the dealership and appears to have been fixed. Information has been almost non existent from my dealership - they say something about having had it in for update/recall - means nothing to me, except something needs doing to it, replacement or update, neither of which can be done by you - the dealer has to do it. One positive outcome - this went on so long and I was so horrid to Renault Customer Services, that they have given me a free Live Services subscription.

I hope to get the remaining faults sorted some time in the future, but it's a long-winded business. In my opinion, one problem is the dealership is full of guys who may be good at spanners and screwdrivers, but woefully lacking at satnav software.
  • YndaYnda Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Been using R-Link for five months now, what a waste of money, been back to Renault on fourteen occasions so far, will be fifteen tomorrow, the maps are outdated and the Live Traffic is useless, has not worked correctly since new, forever dropping connection from the server, countless software updates, had a number of new components fitted including a complete new head unit. The only thing the screen is good for is to stick a TomTom to.
    Mine is now more than three years old and I have learned to live with its failings (it took a very long time, but eventually it settled down into getting Live HD Traffic - but since they changed the firmware at some time, it no longer indicates which source it's using, so I have no great confidence that it's using HD Traffic rather than RDS/TMC).

For me, there are two VERY major problems with it :-

1. The voice recognition doesn't recognise voice commands. This would be magic if it worked, with that finger tip button under the steering column stick to activate it - it activates but no matter how hard I try, it will not recognise anything - obviously navigation voice instructions would be great, but they don't get recognised. But you'd think it should recognise me telling it to "Phone Home"!

2. The touchscreen located in the centre console of my Kangoo van is much further than the length of my arm away and with the ridiculous joystick push/roll/click system it is very difficult to operate accurately left handed.

I like the display (but not the night time display which is dreadful).
    I like that I can answer and terminate a phone call using the finger tip button under the steering column stick.

But I can't be bothered listing the poor performances. And as I said previously, my local Renault dealership support for it is limited to just one so-called technician and I knew more about the system than he did last time we talked (but that's years ago, he may know something now). Map updates are a joke - £40 for UK&ROI and an outdated map when you get it - I have just last week got map v980, two versions out of date and thaty was the first update available since 8 months ago - that map was v955, 12 months old already when it was released by Renault!

Renault R-Link TomTom would be brilliant if only it worked as shown on the tin. But it doesn't.
    I'm reasonably happy with it when it actually works, sadly though it is not working most of the time, its all of the Connected Services that it fails on as it loses connection to the server, normally turning it off for ten minutes and you stand a chance of it reconnecting, but obviously it is not practical to keep doing this. so therefore, you lose all the TomTom live facilities, weather, Traffic, emails, etc, Traffic is the main loss, it says there is a delay, routes you round it which could be an hour diversion, then the connection drops out, the traffic incident clears but the unit does not know this and keeps you on the hour long diversion.

The maps I can sort of live with, annoyingly we have another Renault with the standard TomTom fitted at the factory, its two years old and the mapping is more up to date than the one that is five months old, even though we have updated the new one as recently as yesterday and still says its the latest version.
    I really can't see the point of the Connected Services other than for HD Traffic - what's the use of emails, weather, messaging etc on a screen which is too far away to reach and in any case requires you to find somewhere to park to use it. My iPhone deals with all those features in a more reliable and convenient way.
    :?
    Your missing the point, when you purchase some thing costing almost a grand with three years subscription you expect it to work, otherwise I'd use the iPhone which incidentally you can use as a Sat Nav
    Actually. I'm NOT missing the point. I hold exactly the same opinion as you. I was in your situation three and a half years ago when my new van turned up with R-Link instead of the tried and trusted Carminat. Maybe like me you would like to go back in time and avoid this purchase.

TomTom don't want to know, despite the fact that they sold a significant proportion of the R-Link system to Renault.

Renault don't know from Adam (to put it politely) and either don't understand all the problems, or don't acknowledge that they exist. And so far as the TomTom component is concerned, they (Renault) don't seem to know how to fix anything.

My iPhone is NOT a suitable device for satnav as far as I'm concerned - no contest compared to a 7" built in screen.
  • rotproof1rotproof1 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Carminat. Do you have the latest firmware update installed in your R-Link? I never had any problems like you with the maps or voice recognition so far.

At least, I can say "Call Adam" - and it calls or "Navigate Home" or "Navigate 15 Charing Cross London" and it does
    I am as up to date as they chose to make me when I updated last week - that's map v980, merely nine months behind TomTom's latest map, v985!!!

I've just tried again today and the thing will NOT call Home and will NOT navigate to Home.