Mapshare Report Accepted, Still not updated

davahaddavahad Posts: 67 [Prominent Wayfarer]
edited January 30 in Archived Discussions
Hi, So how long does it take for the Map updates to appear in actual products? I received a map update today Version 930.5611 and it still doesn't have the Mapshare Report that was accepted on Feb 3, 2014 (see below).

Type Status Other Accepted Submitted 3 Feb 2014 11:22 Comments This is the correct address for 5610B Corkscrew Canyon Road Tumtum, WA 99034. The Lat and long are 47.86562,-117.794692 Tomtom map is incorrect. If you search this address on Google Maps it is correct. Can you make the change to maps to fix this error? Coordinates -117.79470, 47.86565 ID 4efcd9aa-de43-1031-8ee2-f26b3ffa2ae0

Comments

• AndiAndiAndiAndi Posts: 11,281 Superusers
    Hi davahad,

As the app cannot receive mapshare updates you have to wait till the changes found their way into a new map version. And this can take 6 - 9 months.

Cheers

Andreas
  • davahaddavahad Posts: 67 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Ok 6-9 months seems like a long time but if that is what it takes then so be it.  I did check the Tomtom online maps and the correction is not there either.  It seems like at best the Tomtom maps data is just average and making any changes or corrections is like moving one of the Egyptian Pyramids to Lybia. Google maps on the other hand accepted the correction pretty quickly and their maps is now correct and it doesn't take 9 months to make an appearance on the phone app.  
  • KexKex Posts: 2,874 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Although it may seem like moving Egyptian Pyramids, the quarterly updates cycle used to be much better than the industry standard of once a year. In fact, most of those $2,000 and up OEM navigation systems for vehicles are still only updated once a year, and frequently with map data (from TomTom or Nokia HERE) that is not only over one year out of date, but the single update costs as much as a brand new TomTom with lifetime maps included!

Google maps will display updates faster, but to achieve this, they are not stored on the device. For that reason, a data connection is required if you want to use them when out and about (not at home, on a home network connection, for example). In most cases, when the connection to the carrier is lost, so is the ability to navigate.

TomTom maps, on the other hand, never require a data connection, except when you download a new map to your TomTom device or phone. The will work anywhere, in even the most remote locations, as long as there is a view of the sky. But the updates do take longer to get added ...

If TomTom make Map Share available for the phone application, it will go a long way to helping with faster updates!
  • Clark_KentClark_Kent Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hi I agree with you on all that about internet connection on route and the advantatge of the TomTom system, but 6 or 9 month to update an accepted correction....  not easy to accept. 

When is the next map update for Android coming out?  Hopefully it will make an appearance in the next map update but

I'm not holding my breath.
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,780 Superusers
    Hi, I checked the newest v940 map, but the address is still wrong. Usually it takes 6 to 12 months before an accepted correction is implemented into a new map. For addresses, this can take even longer unfortunately. 
    Just rec'd Androids Map update V945.6256 and the map has still not been corrected over 1 year later.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,976 Superusers
    Usually it takes 6-9 months, but in some cases it might be considerably more (or less).
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    davahad wrote:
    Just rec'd Androids Map update V945.6256 and the map has still not been corrected over 1 year later.

That's strange. According to the report status this should've been fixed in the August 2014 map (v935). I'll ask our map team to take a look at this.

Cheers, Mikko
    Nokia Here Maps are correct. Google Maps are correct. TomTom Maps over 1 year later after accepting the Mapshare Report are still incorrect.
    I've been emailing TomTom Support India for 2 weeks on this issue. And they have done a tremendous job at wearing me down trying not to solve the problem.

For the last week I have been asking for this issue to be escalated to Level 2 Support (ie., US Support) with no luck. Even though I provided them with all the info they asked for to get Level 2 support they come back with this.
    Response Via Email (Jitendar S. (US)) 03/13/2015 11:36 AM
    Dear Mr XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Thank you for your patience.
    It seems that the earlier report was not updated on the map as the location still shows the different address.
    We have now created the new Mapshare Report for this incorrect address.
    Claim ID:6c4bceff-1ab1-1033-8ee2-f26b3ffa2ae0
    It can be updated in the Next map release if accepted. We will let you know the progress.
    In case if you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us. It will be a pleasure to assist you.
    If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST and Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST

With Best Regards,
    Jitendar S
    TomTom Customer Support
    So apparently TomTom India has no idea that it can take OVER a year for a MapShare Report to be implemented and now they have submitted a new MapShare Report so I can wait another year for nothing to be done?

My advice to anyone that is thinking of taking the time to do the MapShare Report don't bother. The corrections are never implemented.

You are better off saving your time and Money and going with Nokia Here Maps which is free. It has all the benefits of Google Maps + you can download maps for each state and you don't need an internet connection. Also the UI on Nokia Here is about 10 years ahead of the TomTom UI and is probably 10 years ahead on map data as well. For this address that I reported over 1 year ago Nokia has it correct.
    Hi Davahad,

I raised a ticket about this with the map team, but unfortunately they haven't picked it up yet. I've requested Customer Service to chase the ticket and keep you updated about it.

My apologies for the inconvenience!

Cheers, Mikko
    OK so I ask tech support why they have submitted a new Mapshare Report when there is already an accepted report from Feb 2014. Below they are now saying the address is missing the letter B in 5610B but it takes you to the correct address and they need to update that.

This is not correct. If you go to routes.tomtom.com and put in 5610 Corkscrew Road Tumtum WA 99034 the destination is still incorrect. If for destination you put in 47.86562,-117.794692 then the destination is correct.

Of course they are saying it should not take more than 6 months to 1 Year. Again this is a joke.

Response Via Email (Jitendar S. (US)) 03/16/2015 12:06 PM
    Dear Mr XXXXXXXXX
    Thank you for your patience.
    I would like to confirm you that your address is listed on the TomTom map as well as on route.tomtom.com website.
    There is a minor correction which needs to be updated and that is with the house number 5610B in which B letter is missing.
    Please check the below link for routes.tomtom.com for your address listed.
    Routes.tomtom.com
    So in order to correct the missing B letter in the address we have reported on mapshare reporter and it should not take more then 6 months to 1 year time for the map correction team to update it.
    In case if you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us. It will be a pleasure to assist you.

If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST and Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST

With Best Regards,
    Jitendar S
    TomTom Customer Support
    Hi davahad,

It seems indeed that they've misunderstood the issue :( I've sent them a headsup trying to point them to the write direction.

My apologies for the inconvenience!

Cheers, Mikko
    Well Tech Supports solution was to delete my Mapshare Report so it no longer appears under MyReports and then to create a new MapShare Report which I can no longer track.

I've asked 10 times why my report was accepted in Feb 2014 and why it was never added and they would never answer the question.
    There latest was this:

Dear Mr XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    The reference number for your query is 150302-000587.
    Thank you for your response. This is Victor again.

The report updated by you is slightly different than what our one of our technical team member did.
    With Kind Regard
    Victor P.
    The TomTom Customer Care Team
    I am now told that their update will appear in 3rd QTR 2015.

Sure it will be updated. This is ridiculous.
  • DamauritzDamauritz Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Wow. Ridiculous. TomTom, please get with the times. Weekly delta-based map updates are not out of the realm of possibility.
    14 Months and counting and still no map update. I am putting the over/under at 22 months for them to correct this one address that was submitted in Feb 2014.
    Hi davahad,

Sorry for my late reply!

The map team has confirmed me that this has been fixed in our maps. Can you confirm?

Should that not be the case I'd recommend you to contact Customer Service to find out why it's not shown for you.

Cheers, Mikko
    This is the address. I am using the new TomTom Android app and it doesn't come up with anything for this address. I tried the USA NW and SW. Deleted both of those and am now downloading the USA map.

Why don't you give the address a try and let me know if it works for you?

5610B Corkscrew Canyon Road
    Tumtum, WA 99034-9701
    The Lat and long are 47.86562,-117.794692
    16 Months since the MapShare report was accepted and still not fixed. In fact, it looks like they just deleted the address altogether as it now comes up with ADDRESS NOT FOUND.

MikkoK you still think this is fixed? Have you tested?

TomTom GO Mobile
    Version 1.5 (798)

Map 950.6501
    (United States)

Not only is the address not correct it does not even bring up the incorrect location that it used to do.

2 Screenshots. 1 from TomTom (Destination Not Found) and 1 from Nokia HERE showing the correct location of the destination.
    Looks like they have the 5610 on the map, but not the 5610B. Funnily though, it gives 2 search results for 5610 :)

45c3922e-03a9-4b44-b753-733eae9462be.png
    That's sad. In 16 months TomTom has deleted 5610B which was incorrect on their maps and then added two different destinations for 5610 that are both incorrect as well. Does TomTom just guess where it should go? Maybe they have a monkey throwing darts at the map and are going with those results? Did the monkey throw two darts and they couldn't decide which one to use so they just went with both of them?

You have to believe this is the rule and not the exception for TomTom map data. Based on how many times I have contacted them and the posting of the process here in the forums over 16 months you have to believe that they are not competent in their core business.

I now put the over/under at 32 months to get the map corrected for this address as this apparently a very complicated process in adding corrected map data to their maps.
    Below is the latest reply from support:
    The reference number for your query is 150302-000587.

Thank you for your patience. This is Victor from TomTom Customer Support.

I am glad to inform you that we have fixed the map error you reported in the latest map release version 9.50.

The address 5610B Corkscrew Canyon Road Tumtum, WA 99034 now has the correct co-ordinates (47.86562,-117.794692) on the map.

However this map is released for car navigation devices so you wont be able to find this change on the navigation app on your mobile. I will let you know when we release the updated map for your navigation app.
    How Victor defines a car navigation device? An in-dash model or a PND? Also a smartphone with the navigation app in the car is a car navigation device. Also I thought a v950 map is a v950 map all across...
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online39

Bembo
Bembo
Hirbel
Hirbel
olpe
olpe
TomasK
TomasK
+35 Guests