Multisports- Current pace vs average pace completely off - Page 9 — TomTom Community

Multisports- Current pace vs average pace completely off

12345679»

Comments

• nicprossernicprosser Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Exactly PappaChango. Where has Tomtom gone? (long lunch)? It's unacceptable that so many comments from so many pretty unhappy customers with legitimate questions about a VERY BASIC and critical feature of their watch can be ignored. I have the exact same problem and TOMTOM ARE IGNORING OUR COMPLAINTS!!
    Do something about it Tomtom!!! Anyone else feel this strongly?
  • LambesladyLambeslady Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've just noticed this! I have just done an interval session and when I was running hard kept checking my watch and it says my pace was fluctuating around the 10min/m mark, which is super good for me. Get home download and it shows my pace was much slower and up and down quite a lot, I didn't feel like my pace was up and down. Can't use avg pace as I was walking for 30 secs rest at the end of each interval. Feeling dis-heartened as I can't really tell if it was a good session or not because looking at it it wasn't!!
  • AthloniAthloni Posts: 15 [Legendary Explorer]
    nicprosser wrote:
    Exactly PappaChango. Where has Tomtom gone? (long lunch)? It's unacceptable that so many comments from so many pretty unhappy customers with legitimate questions about a VERY BASIC and critical feature of their watch can be ignored. I have the exact same problem and TOMTOM ARE IGNORING OUR COMPLAINTS!!
    Do something about it Tomtom!!! Anyone else feel this strongly?

I totally agree. This tread has already 7306 views!!!
    And it's just so simple to solve this by the TomTom team, because in "freestyle" mode, the current pace shows the correct values. Only in the "running" mode, the current pace is way off :?
  • jobertsjoberts Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Just to add another post that will be ignored by TT.

From skimming through, it looks like I'm having the opposite problem to most.

My average pace is ALWAYS slower than my current pace. If we're talking in terms of splits (anywhere between 1 km and 1 mile), then my average pace will always show up around 20 seconds/mile slower than the current pace.

To explain that more clearly, let's use this morning's example - a long, steady run along very flat land, fairly open to the skies (GPS-wise), essentially no blockers to a consistent reading. Every time I ran 1 mile, my current pace was consistently 6:45-6:55/mile throughout - but every time I got a mile split reading, my average pace for that mile was around 7:10/mile.

This isn't splitting hairs - that's a MASSIVE difference. If I ran a marathon taking current pace as gospel, then I could be looking at anywhere between 2:56 and 3:07. Obviously you wouldn't take it as gospel, it's a watch. I don't even expect to be perfect... GPS is GPS. But there's obviously a HUGE disconnect between the algorithms used for current pace and average pace.

Between this and the whole Great Android F-Up 2016, I'm done with the watch. Just wish I had a spare £200 to buy a Garmin!
  • rafaelolsrafaelols Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just adding one more complaint about this issue:

I just bought a TomTom Runner and I had my second run with it today.
    Yesterday, in an interval training of 50m sprint, I didn't noticed any problem with the Instant Pace showing on the watch.

But today, on a 2,5km steady training I noticed this problem. On my second km, the instant pace was always 5:40 min/km or faster, changing second per second. At the end of my second km, my pace was 6:15 for this km. It is impossible since the watch was showing that I was always 5:40 min/km. The Instant Pace just DOES NOT WORK AS IT SHOULD.
    I noticed that when I did some changes at my speed, the watch almost didn't change the instant pace, even knowing that I changed it for at least 1 min/km. Not very instant for an Instant Pace.

It's obviously a problem, but I really don't think they would fix it since you are complaining about this for almost three years and nothing came from TomTom team.
  • AndrewMcAndrewMc Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I may as well add my expereince. Just started a 16 week training plan which calls for intervals. During my Long Runs I use "laps"and just keep track of Average Pace and that seems to work fine. But when it comes to the intervals I have the watch on Intervals and use Current Pace. This is wildly off - soo off its useless. It will show a pace that is slower than I am running or something that just isnt consistent. Seems likes its showing a pace based on something maybe 60 seconds - 2 minute previous. No good if you are running a 400 metre interval - that part of teh run is pretty much over by the time the pace corrects itself.

The only solution ive found is to focus on t'he run and not the watch. When the interval calls for a fast pace I run faster. When it calls for a recovery I run slower. But neither time have any accurate idea of my actual pace. just have a rough idea based on previous runs and my average pace during those runs.

I've had this watch a few years now and the problem has been there all this time. Never really a problem as I havent focused on Intervsal before - I've been happy with Average Pace. But now I am I want a watch that actually shows Current Pace accuratly. Give the age of this thread best solution might be to find another brand watch that does this function properly.
  • VelthuieVelthuie Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have this same problem for a while now. When I bought my watch, it seemed to work fine. But now, after more than half a year, the current pace doesn't show properly, and is always slower than the average pace. Reading the thread on this forum, this seems to be a common problem, and I am surprised that this hasn't been solved after more than 2 years!! I also see no response from TT in this forum. Are they neglecting the bug in the most important feature of their sports watch? Amazing!
    AndrewMc wrote:
    I may as well add my expereince. Just started a 16 week training plan which calls for intervals. During my Long Runs I use "laps"and just keep track of Average Pace and that seems to work fine. But when it comes to the intervals I have the watch on Intervals and use Current Pace. This is wildly off - soo off its useless. It will show a pace that is slower than I am running or something that just isnt consistent. Seems likes its showing a pace based on something maybe 60 seconds - 2 minute previous. No good if you are running a 400 metre interval - that part of teh run is pretty much over by the time the pace corrects itself.

The only solution ive found is to focus on t'he run and not the watch. When the interval calls for a fast pace I run faster. When it calls for a recovery I run slower. But neither time have any accurate idea of my actual pace. just have a rough idea based on previous runs and my average pace during those runs.

I've had this watch a few years now and the problem has been there all this time. Never really a problem as I havent focused on Intervsal before - I've been happy with Average Pace. But now I am I want a watch that actually shows Current Pace accuratly. Give the age of this thread best solution might be to find another brand watch that does this function properly.

This perfectly describes the problem. Guy's of TomTom, will you help us ever, or do you leave us in the dark? Please proof that you care about your customers. And keep in mind that people who do on sports maybe are a bit more critical. I f you are serieus in sporting devices, you should care about that!
  • jobertsjoberts Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    joberts wrote:

Yes, even on the new generation TomTom watches the problem still exists. And it's so simple for TomTom to solve it.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-tomtom-adventurer-473/correct-pace-and-gps-connections-1011036
  • DockKDockK Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have found this problem recently. I have had the Multisport for around 12 months and was initially impressed. However, the current pace does not reflect average for each mile and has been out for several months now. Variation seems to be roughly 30sec/mile, which makes pacing races and speed sessions difficult. This is particularly frustrating as my old Garmin Forerunner still tracks accurately. The TomTom was meant to replace and upgrade the Garmin. I am now considering switching back.
    Disappointing to see this is not resolved, looking at these posts going back 2 years. Expected better customer service.
    It's a 100% bug in running mode. A workaround is using freestyle mode.

So a message to TomTom: it's very simple to solve the problem. Just use the same algoritme as you did in freestyle mode.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0