Multisports- Current pace vs average pace completely off - Page 4 — TomTom Community

Multisports- Current pace vs average pace completely off

Comments

• TykeTrotterTykeTrotter Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem, went through TomTom Customer Services, who talked me through resets I'd already done and have now sent it off for repair. I'm hoping it'll work when I get it back, because other than this issue it's been great. Other wise I'm gonna have to get a refund, because my training relies on pace running and an inaccuracy of over 1m/m is intolerable.
  • nmrunnernmrunner Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Agreed. Mine has been sent in and replaced twice now, but the 2nd time I just bought an FR620 and have been using it instead.  The new TOMTOM watch that finally came ine (nearly a month after sending it in for repair) had been sitting in the box for about a month and I finally just gave it to my 9 year old.  It still does the same thing (freezes on screen change, bad pace) but at least my kid doesn't know the difference.  
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback!

We are aware of the issue and working on a solution in a future software update.

Edit: Apart from the algorythm this issue also has to do with GPS reception so please, make sure your QuickGPSFix is up-to-date and your watch is receiving the signal.

My apologies for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience!

Cheers, Mikko
  • swatswat Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Mikko, thanks for the update. My QuickGPS fix is up to date, and other gps watches on the same run work fine. When do you think the software update will be ready?
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi swat,<BR /><BR />Unfortunately, I don't have an estimation of the timeline for the solution at this point.<BR /><BR />Cheers, Mikko
  • liquid_mermerliquid_mermer Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    Dear TomTom team, speaking from anybody who doesn't only run in the flats, displaying the current elevation in meters from tge gps data is a needed information. I know it is not that accurate, however at times I would rather read the gps elevation than the baromethric pressure my altimeter provides.

Thanks.

Maritn
    Ok TomTom, using the latest update 1.8.5 I find that nothing is changed regarding the instant running pace. It is still completely wrong. I will once again sugest that you should use the same instant pace algorithm from the CYCLE mode into the RUN mode and all will be well. 

I am currently running in CYCLE mode so that I can obtain accurate pace, but then I neet to switch the activity type each time I upload it to strava.

Martin
  • olopholoph Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    And for us that have the tomtom runner we cant even run it in cycle mode.

I just got the tomtom runner and was very dissapointed that  the current pace function is completly unusable. 

In order to get a correct  pace reading it seems like you have to run in the pace for a couple of minutes before the current pace stabilize. Not very instant.

Glad to hear that you are working on a fix though.

From my point of view this fix should be a top priority, even higher that the android application development, and thats coming from one that have an android device.
  • swatswat Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Agree about the priority - this is basic functionality for a running watch.  Get the core stuff working first then the fancy bits like the Android app (speaking as someone else with an Android phone).
  • sanguissanguis Posts: 22 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    swat wrote:
    Agree about the priority - this is basic functionality for a running watch.  Get the core stuff working first then the fancy bits like the Android app (speaking as someone else with an Android phone).
    Ditto.
  • WaltertBWaltertB Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Sounds like this solution should not be very difficult to implement.

How hard can it be....
    It's such a shame this watch is not an open source platform. We could have (us software developers) greatly extended the capabilities and have the perfect running tool for everybody in no time.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,691
    Superusers
    liquid_mermer wrote:
    It's such a shame this watch is not an open source platform. We could have (us software developers) greatly extended the capabilities and have the perfect running tool for everybody in no time.
    This would create a support and testing nightmare.  Every proposed change would need to be tested by TomTom (much like apps for Apple need to go through a validation process and from support standpoint, how would they know if a problem is caused by the core programming or some change the user made?  There is a reason there are no open source watches out there (you can't count ones that allow downloading apps as that is company controlled).  If it was a realistic option don't you think someone would have done it already?
  • FlipStoneFlipStone Posts: 76 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    That and it would gap the bridge between the runner and multisport watches as the only main change seem to be some extra activites (which seem like a extremely easy implementable thing).

Worrying that this still has not been fixed though, even though something is being worked on.

But really, same as with the tcx/fit bug this is also seems a pretty trivial thing to fix (unless the software has been written in the most inefficient way).
  • PaTsioPaTsio Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    by the way, the upcoming Fall's update is exciting!

August 2014
    MySports mobile app

We will release the app for Android phones and tablets

Later in the third quarter of 2014
    Improvements to pausing and stopping an activity

Pausing and stopping an activity is clearer and more intuitive.
    Run, cycle, treadmill, freestyle and stopwatch activities can be automatically stopped when you stand still, and auto-resume as soon as you start moving again. You can also choose to be notified when an activity is auto paused.

More and improved metrics

The two smaller metrics shown at the top of the screen are larger so that they are easier to read.
    For activities longer than an hour, the duration metric shows seconds in addition to minutes.
    Your watch shows units next to the main metric.
    Your watch shows your top speed or pace during an activity.
    The battery level indication is more accurate.
    The accuracy of instant speed or pace on your watch is improved. :D
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,691
    Superusers
    PaTsio wrote:

by the way, the upcoming Fall's update is exciting!

August 2014
    MySports mobile app

We will release the app for Android phones and tablets

Later in the third quarter of 2014
    Improvements to pausing and stopping an activity

Pausing and stopping an activity is clearer and more intuitive.
    Run, cycle, treadmill, freestyle and stopwatch activities can be automatically stopped when you stand still, and auto-resume as soon as you start moving again. You can also choose to be notified when an activity is auto paused.

More and improved metrics

The two smaller metrics shown at the top of the screen are larger so that they are easier to read.
    For activities longer than an hour, the duration metric shows seconds in addition to minutes.
    Your watch shows units next to the main metric.
    Your watch shows your top speed or pace during an activity.
    The battery level indication is more accurate.
    The accuracy of instant speed or pace on your watch is improved.
     :D
    That is quite the list.  Here is the full posting, as there is even more than this!

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17856
  • olopholoph Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Fantastic, looking forward to the update!
  • sanguissanguis Posts: 22 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Great to hear a fix is at least on the roadmap.
  • nickmalcolmnickmalcolm Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    +1 for this, it should be a top priority.

During last night's run, after a hill, I was running an average of "5:50/km" slowly getting down to "5:30/km" for about 500m, but this was about 30sec slower than my actual pace. Which is an annoying difference!

Looking it up after the run I was doing more like 5:00/km down to 4:30km. Then when my watch beeped for the 1km lap and it shot down to "4:20" which, looking back, was my actual pace at that marker. So it seems to average it out over the whole km or something?

I've been noticing this on many of my runs, which makes this watch a really frustrating purchase. I hope that update comes soon!
  • runnermike8runnermike8 Posts: 79 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    yes , agrred , my polar and garmin are basically the same . thats why should not keep looking at the watch especially in instant pace otherwise you will keep adjusting your pace to your watch . I run long distances and basically just use the average pace . I decide what is my optimum pace and keep to that average . then no mtter hills , stops for water toliet etc overall my pace will be what i need for that particular run/race . to me instant pace is not that useful . i use tomtom graphs after the run can then compare my HR , pace at any particular moment against incline to see where i could have made up some paceor where i was oing to fast . best advice....dont keep looking at your watch when running....<br>
  • nickmalcolmnickmalcolm Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I see where you're coming from, and that's a good strategy. However I do want to be able to look at my pace after running up a hill to get back on target. My tendency is to run slower as I recover, but I'd really like to push through it by running at pace.

Looking at the total run average means I won't know if I'm slowly dragging that average down by running too slow, or driving it up by speeding along. And the longer I run, the harder it is to tell, because it takes that much longer to affect the average.

It's a core feature of any GPS watch. It should work so that when I do look at it, regardless of how often I do that, it is accurate.
    That and for interval training, going for a target speed at the 'intensive' intervals, a correct actual speed is quite necessary...

For an overall race it doesn't matter too much I agree...
    for intervals i find a stop watch is the best method , i cant look at my watch whilst running intensive intervals and keep a steady fast pace so even if my gps showed my mid interval is slowing i would not speed up as that defeats the training . but if you really want to just run intervals your probably better off with one of the other watches . polar makes a very good interval watch . i could set my interval time , rest time and number of intervals and then just run to the beeps . but polar to me is not so good on long runs .

but to me this tomtom so far is a very good long distance training watch. 
    Nah, happy with the tomtom...<br><br>Just saying interval training is a very common running training and for that the way this watch handles current pace/speed isnt the best. It should just take the last few secs or something...
    for all the runners who compare their gps watches or complain about being a few seconds off have a read of this article . its quite interesting to compare watches . Although for me i dont find the footpod more accurate but that is because i dont keep a constant stride throughout my runs .

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0