A peculiarity in Spain. Cambio de Sentido

BloggsBloggs Posts: 32 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
edited January 26 in Archived Discussions
In Spain one can be find heavily for crossing a solid white line, be it in the centre of the road or at the edge.
Despite what my profile says I live in Spain. (I dont want this changed as I use everything in English because  my technical Spanish is not up to it) Anyhow, to over come this Spain has go a peculiarity, that I have not seen anywhere else. It is a great solution to overcome potential jams whist the leading car waits for the road to be clear to make a left turn.
I will try and explain. A solid white line in the middle of the road and you wish to turn left. There is normally a sign indicating how far up the road the Cambio de Sentido (change in direction/u-turn) is. This can be anything from a few hundred metres to a few km. When you approach the cambio de sentido there will be another sign indicating this. The car makes a right turn. Sometimes this is just a small bay sometimes you have to negotiate a roundabout or a flyover junction. If you use a bay it normally means one has to cross tow or more lanes directly. Drive into the junction or bay on the other side of the road and exit right thus you have turn back  on yourself. The principle will be the same for other methods of making a cambio de sentido.

Any suggestions on how I can do this please?

Comments

• MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,780 Superusers
    Do you mean you don't know how to report the issue using the online Map Share Reporter tool? If so, the best way to proceed is to use the 'Other' category in the MSR tool. Then you can use the comments box to describe the issue. What I sometimes do is to include a URL to an online picture where I sketched the situation to make things more clear. 

Is this what you meant?
  • BloggsBloggs Posts: 32 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Yes I do know how to use the Map Share Reporter tool. I also have data sharing on my unit turned on, so hopefully some of these reports get identified.
    Your solution is rather cumbersome. I make a sketch of it on my PC of the changes needed; upload the sketch to a photo sharing website then hopefully TT will accept the change. All seems long winded for something that TT may reject.
  • MvanAkenMvanAken Posts: 459 TomTom Employee
    I've read your post twice but I have difficulty understanding the situation that you are describing. Is it possible that you supply one or two locations (with coordinates) for me to investigate what you mean and then hopefully advise you the best way to inform us about these using MSR?
    Do you mean something like this? If so, I don't think TomTom will implement these kind of 'bays' into their maps. 

21270iCEF69E78B825EE28.png
    Yes sort of like that photo. Where did you get that from? Crossing the white line is a big no no in Spain!

Here is the example I know needs to be changed . The links are from Street View first.
    This is how the road (the new road) was (Google date this photo in Nov. 2009).     http://bit.ly/1hxsxIz
    This is the current view from the old road. (Google date Jun 2012) http://bit.ly/1ayXKkK
    As you can see from the later date street view if one drives up from where the tanker is driving from there is a layby on his side of the road with a stop sign on it. One drives into there waits for the traffic behind you to pass (also coming from the other direction too!) The cross the road around the white chevroned area (with the blue and white arrow sign posts) and drive towards the slip road and back in the direction you have come from.
    Form the mapping tools you have to drive out of the unnamed road at CoOrds: -7.70143,42.62401 up to the street views I have given above: -7.68759,42.61946
    Both of the changes for this have been accepted. I have a few more to add. My posting was to ask if there is an easy way to show these changes on Map Share? I would like to link them together the "no turn" with the Cambio de Sentido. 
    I should have added I have tried to find a nice video about how to use these but most show roundabouts. Which is normal in any country.

Here are 2 examples that may help explain this situation a bit better:

The examples above show various ways of changing direction. It is the one on the bottom right with a multi laned road I am trying to add to MapShare.

The  above photo is of an actual Cambio de Sentido.

These are more than just laybys.
    Thanks a lot for the pictures and links, Bloggs! They really make it clear what you meant. Now I understand :)

"I would like to link them together the "no turn" with the Cambio de Sentido."

I'm not sure I understand this sentence though. Do you mean that you want to add the 'no turn' (no u-turn?) attribute to the entire road, except at the location of the Cambio de Sentido? If so, there is not really a dedicated way to do this in the MSR tool. I think the best thing to do is to use the Other category and describe the problem. Also I think it's useful to include a link in the description to this topic so that the map guys can see what it is exactly about.

Perhaps Michael can comment on this one, or say what's the best thing to do in these cases. 

By the way, I got the picture from here: http://www.fundacioncnse.org/dgt/normas_maniobras2.php ;-).
    The link. Rather curly they have added a volume control to the sign language video, alongside the diagrams. But I digress.
    It is simply a no turn. Always a left turn.
    I can give the report numbers if they are useful to anyone.
  • MvanAkenMvanAken Posts: 459 TomTom Employee
    Thanks for the info, I was unaware of the kinds of situations. But, the best advise has already been given; use the 'other' option in MSR in order to report necessary chances. Our Spanish collegues in the mapping department who are responsible for processing your report should be familiar with these situations. As these Cambio de Sentido's have their own geometry it shouldn't be to difficult to have them correctly in our maps.
    Ok I will carry on the way I have been doing it. It does seem rather messy way of reporting, but Spain is the only country in Europe (that I know of) that has this so it is not worth Mapshare doing something completely different.

Thank you all for your advice and help.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,370 Superuser
    We have something similar in France e.g. @ N46.350301,W0.87645

21396iBD092BA013038750.jpg

To turn left you must take the slip-road to the right and then proceed straight across
    Yes sort of. But as they say "Spain is Different",
  • Swansong211Swansong211 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just to add to the discussion (albeit belatedly) on these cambios, TomTom software sometimes defines them as roundabouts. The situation I found myself in was wanting to turn left on a duel carriageway outside Valladolid (has also happened in Madrid, Zaragoza and Malaga). The tomtom advised the left turn at roundabout, but what it actually should have said was turn RIGHT onto the cambio de sentido then cross the dual carriageway. I ended up in the leftmost lane of a 90KPH road, almost stopped, all because tomtom software doesn't recognise the difference between a cambio de sentido and a roundabout! Not a good position to be in during rush hour and likely to be the cause of an accident if the driver isn't alert. The software, for safety's sake, needs to show the difference between a roundabout (when you need to be in left lane to turn left) and a cambio de sentido (when you need to pull to the RIGHT to turn left). I've submitted a number of correction reports, all of which have been ignored (over the last 2 years). Strangely my 730 never had this problem!
    Hi, did you report them using the online MSR tool? If so, what are the IDs of the reports? Someone from the TT staff can then try to figure out what happened with them.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online107

DougLap
DougLap
Fred57220
Fred57220
Kwclough5100
Kwclough5100
Lochfrass
Lochfrass
patpalloon
patpalloon