Tom Tom Is Crap

Azkin13Azkin13 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
edited January 30 in Archived Discussions
It's obvious from the thousands of posts in the forum of people having problems that Tom Tom have not invested enough into it's software development and have not engaged the best software engineers....I will be looking to buy a new system after this......they are absolutely useless......

Comments

• larryandpattilarryandpatti Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I agree, support services is rubbish
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,896 Superusers
    Really? And your grammar is better?

That said, instead of a negative comment, why not share your issues here with others ready to assist.

Provide details such as: model; map version; application and problem(s) with the device.
  • mattyBmattyB Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I totally agree tomtom is rubbish, how dare the moderator reply with a comment about grammer!You may not be an employee for tomtom but I will be passing your rude, unprofessional comment to tomtom.I have a 160 via and the problems are;1. Always falls off windscreen.2. Update it, says its updated, get in car tells you to update it.3. Press no tolls, takes you straight onto a tollway!4. Takes you on roads that lead to dead ends.5. Turns on every time you start your car, never turns itself off waste of battery.6. Main Menu, where is the MAIN MENU? WHERE IS THE MAIN MENU!7. Will never buy a tomtom product again,being in the transport industry I will be spreading the word against tomtom.8. Tomtom website crap as well.
  • Bill_RobertsBill_Roberts Posts: 478 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I have some sympathy with the OP in that yes, it's arguable that TT do release things too early and that they should do a bit more testing before release. But having a go at dhn when all he was doing was asking for information in order to give an informed answer is ridiculous. One more point... TomTom forums is NOT the same as TomTom Discussions, different site altogether. 
    Regards
    Bill
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,976 Superusers
    @mattyB: dhn is a moderator on ANOTHER forum, not here, as you can see it in his signature. As he is just another user like any of us, he can post whatever feel like (just like you), within the forum rules.

I have to completely agree with dhn. The OP and others stated nothing factual, nor any details. Instead of a rant, they could state what the exact issue is and other users might be able to assist (free of charge, in our spare time...).

If the OP and others wanted help/assistance from TT, they should have contacted them directly, since this is not a TT support forum, but a community forum.

As of your issues:

1. Are you using a straight surface or bent surface on the windscreen? Maybe the suction cup is faulty. What you can try is also to make is a bit wet (the suction cup) and then fix it to the windscreen. I had to do that with non-TT suction cups also sometimes.

2. If you don't have a valid map update service, on the device it will tell you to update it, since the maps might be over a year old or so, but without the map update service (MUS), the PC will tell you up to date. However having a look at MyDrive (formerly MyTomTom), Manage Content, Maps, it should tell you that there is a newer version of the map.

3. Is your device set to avoid toll roads always? Check the planning preferences. Also there is an ongoing bug, with the traffic service, which would route you through a toll road, in case there is traffic and you set the device to auto re-route. If you set it to warn you, it will tell you there is traffic and when you choose the new route, it will tell you about toll roads and you can avoid the toll ones there. If this wasn't your issue, you could state some examples (TO/FROM where it happens). Also you might have an old map, where some roads were not yet marked on your map as toll roads.

4. That shouldn't happen either. Do you have any example?

5. Do you mean doesn't turn itself off when you stop the car? You can check it in the settings again how is yours set up. If you mean the never turn off as it goes only to stand-by, that is intentional. You can turn it off by holding the ON/OFF button for 10 seconds.

6. When you tap the navigation screen, the first page is the main menu (navigate to, settings, plan route, etc).

7. Your choice :)

8. What is exactly wrong with it?

Edit: Also your VIA 160 is NOT a device that belongs to this section.
    @Bill: You are right if you meant the latest range or 3 years ago the NAV3 range. However this forum section is the NAV2 devices and some of these are even legacy and many years old. Also mattyB's device is a NAV3. That model can be easily over a year or two old (not that particular device, the model), so it has everything that they really wanted to add (yes, no ITN, no compass and it can't even make coffee :)).

The rest I agree with (here).
  • OkunoinOkunoin Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I think that Azkin 13's approach is the correct one - throw TomTom overboard. TomTom used to be the finest of all start-up's and its products outstanding. I have had several devives over my 10 or more years of ownership butI have observed how it has systematically gone downhill.  The exterior design of the TomToms remain great but they have really got themselves into a mess with their software and support. Yesterday I have taken the gigantic step of turning my back on TomTom for ever after the latest frustrations with MyDrive where, if you're lucky, you can update your machine. During the last week, I have not been so lucky. That.s why I am now the owner of a Garmin nüvi. What a change.  I wish all the best to the employees of TomTom who have try their best with crap support. They also have gone downhill from incredible arrogance to sloppiness. Okunoin  
  • booskibooski Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Totally agree since making mistake of purchasing one yesterday and already plagued by problems and ZERO support.

Wind down the window and throw it to the kurb and then reverse over it.

Only way to be sure it does not hurt anyone else going forward.
  • toothtooth Posts: 103 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Sadly there is no such thing as the perfect GPS satnav device.  TomTom is not alone.

That said, some devices are very reliable and I have had many tomtoms over the years which have been brilliant. Unfortunately the latest NAV4 ones have not shown the company in a great light.

My advice would be to do some research and see which model most people like.  I know which I do.
  • rafmanrafman Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    I really do not know how you are still in business. I have just spent 6 hours trying to download updates, and I have no idea if I've been successful. Thank God that my next car that I take ownership of in June will have in-built Sat Nav.

You really, REALLY have to get on top of your game if you want to be in business next year.

Disgusted.
  • Brian DamageBrian Damage Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I cant believe how disparaging you are about this product.
    If you want to spend endless hours updating gps fixes and then scream yourself hoarse in the car when the signal vanishes every 90 seconds I can't think of a better product.
  • GO50GO50 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Mydrive is a juke. tried 100 times,maybe only one ok.
    never buy tomtom anymore
  • rafmanrafman Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    @Brian Damage,

Just look at all the negative comments on all the forum's, they far outweigh the positive.

Perhaps you are fortunate and have a decent product. Like many others I have spent hours on the PC trying to get successful downloads. I have even gone so far as to reformat the internal chip - to get the system up to date after the reformat took another 12 hours, that is why I am so disparaging about the product.

When it works it is good, but the amount of times my TT has failed on a trip means that the TT satnav is just not worth the trouble, it is just too unreliable.
  • KnowoneKnowone Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    It's not just the 'device'. It's about the update service - and if that is pants, then the device becomes useless. That's the trouble with Tom Tom - the web service just does not work most of the time (in my experience). Moreover, there never seems to be a fix in place.
    That is a little harsh that the web service doesn't work most of the time. They had a major outage from Thursday to Friday (less than one day outage), but before, I can't even recall when was such thing before. In the IT world, unfortunately these things happen. But it is more like once a year not working, not most of the time. If it doesn't work for you most of the time, it is not a web service issue. Give them a call and they will look into.
  • jagcatjagcat Posts: 64 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    TomTom GPS devices are okay. Their maps are crippled and nobody above this forum cares.

Be careful how you vent your frustrations. These script kiddies get upset like it is the user's fault maps are crippled. Our responsibility to send in corrections.
    It ia not a responsibility, but nice to have. Other satnavs maps are exactly the same. Even Google maps. All have errors, just not at the same places. You mind to place a 1 or max 2 minute report, but don't mind to download what others reported and don't mind to benefit from those corrections. What a pickel...
    Yes sir, you are correct. However, I did not purchase Google. I purchased a TomTom Global Positioning System. Expecting some liberal accuracy. What I get is speed limit errors, closed roads as active, dead end streets/roads, bicycle trails for turns, and on and on with inaccuracies.

My neighbor drives a Chevrolet SUV with factory GPS. She seeks out garage sales for-and-wide with spot-on map accuracy. I am glad our military and aviation do not us TomTom.

I do not work for TomTom. I do not make map corrections.

BTY….I am thinking you so-called helpers are volunteers. If so, why do you vigorously defend TomTom, knowing we are all customers with valid complaints that have not been addressed by management….ever.
    I completely understand where you come from. But when you point out an error, you don't do corrections. They do it. It literally takes only seconds per report. You just bring it to their attention, they do all the research, correction and distribution.

If you bought anything else, they all have their own map error reporting tool. Most probably yourself wouldn't use those either, just would say that you want a 100% precise (or close to) map for your money. As a fellow consumer, I understand your points, but whilst I agree on whose responsibility is to provide a correct map, I also have a moral "duty" if I can call like that to point out any issues that I spot.

As you have also a device with M in the name, you are not really paying for map updates, so that would be another argument what to expect for "free", whilst others pay USD 50-100 per year for maps.
    Zsolt,

Thanks for your prompt civil reply. Which is above some of the other replies I have received.

I used a TomTom Home for many years before it died. Had the same crippled map issues. I paid $79.00 for 4 updates in a year. The updates were also crippled. The users that pay are getting ripped big-time. I must add, I used Magellan and Garmin for a few months each before going with TT. Their maps and customer support were about the same as TT.
  • marchendmarchend Posts: 79 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Does it matter if it's free or not, it should still work, otherwise what is the point!
    I have a feeling that you try to argue some other point. You talk about "it should work" and jagcat talks about "accuracy". Not sure what you try to bring into this conversation, but it might be only me.
  • marchendmarchend Posts: 79 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Zsolt wrote:
    I have a feeling that you try to argue some other point. You talk about "it should work" and jagcat talks about "accuracy". Not sure what you try to bring into this conversation, but it might be only me.

'As you have also a device with M in the name, you are not really paying for map updates, so that would be another argument what to expect for "free", whilst others pay USD 50-100 per year for maps.'

The point I am making is in regard to a comment you made earlier (see above).
    Perhaps I read it wrong, but it sounded like, 'your getting maps for free so what do you expect'. And my reply was, free or not the customer expects them to work.
    But the issue was not that it works or not. Jagcat's issue is with the accuracy and who should keep the maps accurate and so. Nothing to do with working or not. Completely different matter.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online56

Erbsenspalter
Erbsenspalter
Keller-Dietmsr
Keller-Dietmsr
Lochfrass
Lochfrass
+53 Guests