Doesn't powerup when connected and sluggish to find Sattelites

I just got a replacement GO 2505 from TomTom after a battery failure/warranty repair,and the new one no longer powers on when connected to power.

It did power up immediately and turn off when disconnected from power, but no longer. Have to hold power button down to start it.

This one also takes a couple of minutes "waiting for a valid GPS signal".

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    What is the software version on the device?

[url=http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12214/"; target="_blank]http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12214/[/url]

The latest is 12.065 at the moment. Try to do a soft reset. Link in my signature.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi EmperorWatcher,

Was only your device replaced or accessories as well? To make sure you car charger is not faulty, try charging your device through computer and see if that makes any difference. Please, not that charging through computer is slower and to fully charge the device may take up to 4 hours.

Then contact Customer Service for further assitance (link in Zsolt's signature).

Cheers, Mikko
  • EmperorWatcherEmperorWatcher Posts: 23 [Outstanding Explorer]
    software version: 12.065.

The only way it turns on is by holding the power button down,which results in the drum-roll start/soft reset.

Wondering if the battery was replaced or they managed to return it without repair. Is it the very same device you sent off or a replacement but identical device? If the latter, maybe you got a refurbed one with another faulty battery.
    They told me to keep my cable and car charger, but sent me the full package.

Could be another faulty battery. It was plugged into the computer all night and now reads 95% battery status. I don't object to refurbs.. as long as they work and are guaranteed.

Neither of these 2505s connected to My TomTom easily. I've had to plug/unplug a few times to get it to recognize I am connected. I like the device but find the navigation around the TomTom web sites to be pretty awful.

I won't be happy if they tell me to send this one back on my $ again.
    If that happens so, I would (politely) insist on getting a brand new unit or something meaningful as compensation for the inconveniences.
    Hi EmperorWatcher,

Have you also checked the settings at Settings - Battery saving?

Cheers, Mikko
    The box is checked at : Device switches on when connected to power.

The other choice is: Device stays on when external power is lost, which is Not checked.
    Hi EmprerorWatcher,

I'd recommend you to contact Customer Service.

Cheers, Mikko
    I did and they sent a reply today following up with proposing another RMA. I had been hoping that there was a setting that could be adjusted or some tweaking and support from the forum that would cure the thing.

The following is my reply to them. Stay tuned for future developments! The first line in quotes came from their response.

"Please reply and let us know the status of this case. We want you to know that, we will be there for you and we do value you as a customer." I do hope that TomTom lives up to that statement. The device serial number is: SE6xxxxxxxxxx The personal information you have regarding my contact details is correct. I would expect that you will not require me to pay for shipping again, and that you will send out a replacement unit immediately. I use this TomTom for work, and the delay between sending and receiving a replacement GPS has been very inconvenient for me. I can still use this device to a degree for work, although it does not function correctly. Additionally, I certainly shouldn't have to pay to ship a defective unit back to TomTom, that I only just received from you at the end of June. I will be happy to return the malfunctioning device as soon as I receive the replacement with a pre-paid shipping label. Thank you
    I am no longer wondering if these devices are what is known as a POS. It is a fact.

This is the 3rd unit I've received. Bought one, RMA to get a second, that failed, and now the unlucky owner of No. 3.

It is a 5 minute (minumum) operation to get My TomTom to recognize that it is connected, and the same issues with no power up when connected in the car. Everything is updated to current,but I need to hold down the start button for 10+ seconds to get it on.

How do these people stay in business?
  • hragmahragma Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    the problem is obviously that the tomtom design of the voltage sensor doesn't work .
    I have had 3 replacements all the same, start on power up and shutdown on power loss frequently don't work
    Do tomtom read this?
    If they do why don't they fix it. seems like its been going on for years
    the Indians on the help desk just look for a word they recognise and fob you off with an irrelevant bit of their script but its not their fault, factory obviously just ignore them