Mazda NVA-SD8110 EU navigation problems — TomTom Community

Mazda NVA-SD8110 EU navigation problems

sandiosandio Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited October 2019 in Built in car navigation
My built-in navigation system in Mazda 3 Takumi had worked perfectly until I used it to navigate me to a destination about 200 km away. I made several stops on the route, and suddenly the map started to display completely wrong location. I found out that the system worked as if its compass was confused; for example, when I was driving North, it thought I was moving East. The only way I could correct this error was to turn off the engine, eject the SD card, turn on the engine with no SD card in the device, turn it off again, re-insert the SD card and turn the device on again. After about a minute, the device displayed that the GPS signal was lost, and then displayed the correct location again.

The problem is that since then the same problem appears almost every day. The steps I made trying to correct the problem were:

- reset the device to factory settings;

- regularly update the device;

- tried the "soft-reset" as described in the manual (i.e. I turned off the engine, removed the SD card, inserted it back in and turned on the engine);

- checked the GPS status, which displayed a good reception of at least 5 satellites simultaneously, even though the positioning was completely confused.

None of these measures worked or was helpful. The problem is very annoying, therefore I shall be very grateful to anyone who will offer me the final solution.

Thank you.

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,011
    Superusers
    I think you will have to contact your car dealer to get it checked, or you can give a call to TomTom:

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/How-to-use-the-forum/How-to-Contact-support/m-p/292358/highlight/true#M22
  • periktperikt Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    hi sandio

Have you managed to get this sorted?   I have updated my Device after having the car for a month.  After about a week its been getting more and more confused.  Last night it lost its location completely and I havent been able to get it back.  I have tried all your resolution steps but none of them are working.  It is struggling to find GPS but even when it does it seems to be the wrong location.
  • RosenRosen Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem for me - Mazda 3 Takumi. It keeps placing me on a wrong position on the map.Sometimes it gets back while driving but after going off a main road or after shutting down the car it is all messed up again.

The dealership thought there was a problem with the GPS antenna but replacing it didn't help. Still looking for a solution, TomTom. Really unpleasant experience and huge disappointment....
  • Carl_MoensCarl_Moens Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I have the same problem for months. went back to my garage, several updates but everytime  after a while my gps loses control an  i'm navigating trough water, houses and etc. I'm gettig mad now. Have anybody a real solution. Please . I have my mazda for 11 months and it's still not fixed. In january he would be 1 year. Guess !! my 1 year garanty is lost.

Tom Tom must be aware of that and never reply with a good solution. I say! Never a TomTom again!
  • sandiosandio Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I think that the problem has finally been solved. I updated my device with the newest firware. At first it seemed that the firmware would completely mess up the device, because it was constantly restarting. I left it on for more than half an hour, but it still did not start. The logo and sand clock were looping on the display. I took the SD card out, so that I could at least listen to the radio. But after a while I decided to put the SD card back in while the radio was on. And the device miraculously started working. I haven't had any problems with it since. I wouldn't like to jump into conclusions too fast, but I think that the newest firmware finally solves the problem. Good luck!
    Thanks,

I did an update of the firmware with a blanco sd card cause it didnt work with the original. I used the method of an new sd card: First in the car.start up until said: no cards. removed it , close contact. Put in my pc , It  opent my TomTom Home as the original. Update it with the firmware. put it again in my mazda gps. Let it update and start up. Removed it . I put in my original sd card and set it back to fabric settings. Removed from car to pc and updated the card until no updates. Put in the original sd back in the car. It works fine until now.
    It has been more than three weeks since the firmware update, and the system still works fine. In the areas of poor or no GPS signal it still gets confused sometimes, but it has never lasted more than a minute to adjust the position when the GPS signal has been found. All without having to remove the SD card. Today I performed another update, this time it were only the Quick GPS Fix and Map Share update. I am now sure that the newest application (firmware) update solves the problem of this device.
    Thanks,

I did also the quick fix latest update and it seems like working fine now. I hope it stays so.

Greets
    Well, after two years the problem suddenly re-appeared. This time I can not find the cure for it. My navigation system displays completely wrong location and nothing helps. The problem appeared while I was driving, after it had been working without problems for two years. If somebody else has got the same problem, please let me know, especially if you have been able to solve it.
  • Rhys_WRhys_W Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Mine has suddenly decided it wants to go off on it's own adventure. At the start of the week (17-10-16) I had removed the SD card from the nav unit to update it - I'd not updated it for about two months prior. The following morning, I put the SD card back in the nav unit and all seemed well. About halfway on my journey to work the unit shut off, then showed the hourglass screen. It finally came back on, but according to the nav unit, I was driving through the Thames.

I've tried restoring the backup, with no joy, and have tried some of the previous versions of GPSQuickfix that were on my PC. Nothing has worked so far. It's like it can't see any satellites, as the GPS status screen suggests it has no connections, although the lat/longitude value change as I drive, and the map rotates, suggesting it can see satellites.

I've not tried updating my old Go520, as this was last used just over a month ago, but it's working fine, so it can't be a satellite issue
    Today I got mine working again. I removed the sat nav unit from the dash of my MX5, to try and find a hardware issue with the position being diplayed incorrectly - all the software updates I tried made no difference. I removed the GPS reciever from it's position, stuck on the top of the satnav unit. I refitted everything, leaving the GPS reciever dangling out from the glovebox. When the unit powered up, it initially showed my location as 50 odd miles away in Rickmansworth, the other side of London from where I was in Essex. A couple of minutes later it decided it would actually correct the location. Hopefully that's sorted it.
  • mjmjmjmmjmjmjm Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Today (17th Nov 2016 My Mazda's TomTom NVA-SD8110 got stuck with a location near Rickmansworth which I was driving through.
    I tried factory resetting but no joy.
    Tonight I have updated the SD card including GPSFix download and purchasing the latest UK map (£35) but despite trying the SD card in the car several times of inserting and ejecting it, car still thinks its not at home near Stansted but is near Heathrow !
    Can anyone suggest how I can resolve.
    Your issue sounds very similar to the problem I had recently with mine - though mine was still showing movement around the map it wasn't where I was heading. I'd tried re-instating the map, reverting to previous versions of GPSquickfix (and later versions when they came out). Even removing the fuses which powered the unit didn't help.

All while this was going on the unit seemed to be blind - not able to see any satellites according to the GPS status screens. In the end, physically getting to the GPS receiver, (which was attached to the top of the radio itself) detaching it (it was held on with a sticky pad) and relocating it as best I could elsewhere under the dash sorted the problem for me.

Good luck
  • SVBSVB Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had this problem 3 years ago and the GPS antenna was replaced under warranty. This solved the problem but has started again. The local dealer now want £60 for the part and £60 to fit. Therefore looking for a cheaper solution - I assume both Tomtom & Mazda will not admit to a "design fault".
    My question is "How easy is to remove the SatNav and get at the GPS antenna.

Thanks for any help
    How easy it is to get at the GPS antenna is going to depend on your actual car, and how prepared and confident you are in taking it to bits. You might find a video guide on YouTube for removing a factory fit standard radio. These will tell you where any security bolts are and how to get at them. If there is enough room under your cars dashboard, you might be able to remove the glovebox and get your hand up to where the GPS receiver is. If you can do that, and just reposition it elsewhere under the dash, it might just start working again. These Sanyo units seem to like any excuse not to pick up a signal from the satellites.
  • RecessRecess Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have always had this problem, ever since I bought my Mazda 5 back in 2012. On and off, it'll decide it doesn't believe where I am, and shows a completely different part of the map. Frustratingly, this nearly always happens when I don't know where I am! At least it's meant I prep a paper route before i leave.

Does anyone have any experience getting into the NV8110 on a Mazda 5 to try to change the GPS receiver's position? I'll give that a bash if I can work out how to do it without destroying the dashboard!

Thanks,
    John
  • Tommy321Tommy321 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Why is this thread marked as solved? Thousands of users still have the same problem, myself included.
    It was marked as 'solved' on 26 Dec 2013 and there are still users having the same problem.
    Come on TomTom, get your act together and tell us what the problem really is, not the usual reset/reinstall/update blah blah blah. I have done this countless times, as has everyone else on this board. Please, elevate this to someone in TomTom who REALLY KNOWS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND CAN FIX IT
  • I has this issue in July and paid the dealer to replace my GPS antenna after TomTom said it was not a software issue as I had done the updates and quick GPS fix. The dealer found it was not the antenna after replacing it. They updated the software (which took a lot longer than when I did it) and it worked but my unit kept randomly resetting but then would find my location. Today it did not reset but started driving in the completely opposite direction and will not fix. I have taken the sd card out and restarted as suggested. It picks up very near my correct location but then says lost signal and changes my location to miles away again. Please help!
  • CharIICharII Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had the same problem with NVA-SD8110 after a few years of usage. Suddenly navigation starts to show wrong position on map. Tried everything, reset all settings, reinstall map, remove quick GPS fix, nothing helped.

Then I noticed, that in GPS status screen GPS signal shown in chart bar was very unstable. It showed strong GPS singnal for a few seconds, then dropped to minimum and again. I think is a kind of hardware problem - I assumed there is a problem of amplifier installed in GPS antenna, ordered new for 20€ and replaced it. Did not helped.

I need to replace a car battery. After I disconnected old battery and have replaced it with a new one, problem with navigation disappeared.

Have no idea if problem was caused by low voltage in old car battery, or the unit needed to be reset by disconnecting power, or I got lucky - but navigation started to work again.
  • RecessRecess Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi everyone, just adding this in as a 'hack-fix' that I've discovered. It may only be my machine, and this may already have been mentioned above, and may not work for all - but just in case, I'm adding it in here.

This occurred to me after a garage service, where they had disconnected the battery - resetting the NV8110 - and making it reboot, and look for the GPS signal again. But I couldn't keep disconnecting the battery. So how to reset the 8110 manually? It took a bit of trial and error, and in the end, idleness.

Assuming it had to be something to do with holding the power button, I'd press it for 5 seconds, nothing, 10 seconds, nothing. But then the lights would change and I'd have to, you know, drive.

But. One time, I got it right. Lights changed, I turned off the unit (single power button press) then held the power button for 20-30 seconds. Et Voila. The unit rebooted itself.

One irritation (but proof of reset) is that this wipes all of the stored radio station info. HOWEVER, importantly, after about 30 seconds, it hunts for a GPS signal, and finally knows where I am.

Of course, usually when I finish my journey and get back in the car at the end of the day, it's goosed again - and I have to reset again. So there's still something wrong with this. But at least this will make it work again... for a while.

John
  • knuchknuch Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Since a few days, I encounter the same problem on the Mazda 5 of my wife. I tried everything: GPS intialisation, erasing the QuickGPSFix file as above, nothing works.
    A few months ago, the same problem had arisen and there, the replacement of the QuickGPSFix file had solved the problem.
    Note that it is not the satellite reception that, up to eight satellites. Besides, the speed display works perfectly.
    In the meantime, I think I found the solution on a German site: switch off the ignition, remove the key, go to the fuse box located under the hood next to the battery, remove the fuse No. 25 Room 15 A Wait 5 to 10 minutes, then replace the fuse.
    It will reprogram the radio stations, but the GPS will give, after a few minutes, the exact position.
    This manipulation concerns a Mazda 5 with the GPS NVA-SD8110, but I think it works with all models of cars and GPS.
    There is no point in buying a new map, changing antenna or even throwing the GPS

• SamvSamv Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    CharII wrote:
    I had the same problem with NVA-SD8110 after a few years of usage. Suddenly navigation starts to show wrong position on map. Tried everything, reset all settings, reinstall map, remove quick GPS fix, nothing helped.

Then I noticed, that in GPS status screen GPS signal shown in chart bar was very unstable. It showed strong GPS singnal for a few seconds, then dropped to minimum and again. I think is a kind of hardware problem - I assumed there is a problem of amplifier installed in GPS antenna, ordered new for 20€ and replaced it. Did not helped.

I need to replace a car battery. After I disconnected old battery and have replaced it with a new one, problem with navigation disappeared.

Have no idea if problem was caused by low voltage in old car battery, or the unit needed to be reset by disconnecting power, or I got lucky - but navigation started to work again.
  • SamvSamv Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Exactly same issue when I replaced the battery it worked perfect for about 6 months then again it has started some problems. Need to find some solution
  • allanmcallanmc Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am having similar issue now for a few weeks my Mazda main dealer doesn’t seem to know the solution of my satNav not knowing the correct location !

if I disconnect the battery to try this possible solution what could happen ? I am wondering if this could be an Earth-strap issue ? Or
    Maybe a little corrosion affecting the sat nav GPS Ariel .
    should I consult with an Auto electrician?

any advice will be welcome please
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0