TomTom Start 25 Uk & Ireland Windows 7

I am Experiencing problems with My Tomtom Start 25 Connecting to my PC. When I connect my device my computer starts searching for drivers and the fails. I have installed mytomtom but this does not pick up my device either.

I have tried resetting my device, changing the usb port & cable and the web connector port but still no luck. I have also tried manually uninstalling the driver then re installing but nothing. Any Help would be much appreciated.

Oh and sometimes it will appear on my device manager but says a device attached to the system is not functioning.

The Tomtom is brand new a day old HELP!
Igouten

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,488 Superusers
    Hi

Have you got the latest Flash and Java players installed

Also

Sometimes the network drivers get corrupted and when you reinstall MyTomTom it just keeps reinstalling the corrupt network drivers that Microsoft has cached on your computer.

So to remove the drivers from Windows 7 follow the instructions bellow, different operating systems will use a different method to remove the drivers

Only follow these instructions if you feel confident to make the alterations.

With your TomTom device connected and turned on.

Click on the Windows Start button

Click on Control Panel

Click on Device Manager

Scroll down and Click on Network Adapters

Note :- If there is a yellow question mark the driver is definitely missing disabled or corrupt, also enable if disabled

Right click on TomTom #3

Click on Uninstall

Tick the box Delete the driver for this device

Click OK

Close Window

Unplug TomTom

Go to start Button

Click on all programs

Click on TomTom Folder

Click on Uninstall TomTom

Download the latest MyTomTom

From [url=http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted"; target="_blank]www.tomtom.com/getstarted[/url]

Install and follow on screen instructions

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Hi

With your tomtom plugged in to a USB port can you see tomtom in Printers and Devices , also enable if disabled.

With your tomtom plugged in to a USB port can you can also check the Task Manager under the networking tab you should see a split window one is your PC the other is your Tomtom.  

ATB YFM

Is the OS Win7 32 or 64bit

Also some tips

You are using MyTomTom ???

Copied and pasted from user Lars post

Your device won't be recognized as a removable drive but as a network.

As there are some issues existing linked to the MyTomTom application. I've added some steps below solving some troubles that may appear.

There are a few things that should be done regardless whether you encounter any troubles (in bold) and some that are for troubleshooting.

1        Set either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome as default browser. I'm not sure about Safari but IE seems to be causing troubles sometimes so it might be that Safari works well.

2      Download and install the MyTomTom application: [url=http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted"; target="_self]http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted[/url]

3      Make sure the MyTomTom application is allowed to fully access the internet and isn't blocked by any antivirus or firewall software.

4      Change the port settings of your MyTomTom application from port 4000 to i.e. 4001 or 5000.

5      I also recommend changing your preferences that future data gets downloaded first without the need of having the device connected to your computer. This is done by checking that large data gets cached as well.

6      Connect your device to your computer, go to your network connections and set the network symbolizing your device as trusted network. A trusted network is called home network in some operating systems.

7      Open the MyTomTom application, log in using your account and link your device to that account. Keep in mind that you'll need a separate account with a different e-mail-address for each device.

8      Always install application updates first without any other updates. After having installed all application updates install the other updates.

9      Install every update as a single update and restart your device after each successful installation before starting the next update.

10    Always plug your device in a USB port directly on your computer (preferably on the back) and not in any USB hub.

11     Make sure neither the device nor the computer enters any kind of power saving modus during the installation process.

12     Clear the cache of both the MyTomTom application and the browser and try again.

13    Try another USB cable to check if it is a cable issue.

14    Make sure you've got enough memory capacity left on the hard drive where the map is being cached (at least 8GB recommended).

15     Make sure you've got the latest version of the Adobe flash player installed.

16    Make sure that flash player and browser are of the same software type (32bit or 64bit)

17    Use a wired internet connection instead of a wireless connection if possible.

18    Make sure you've got the latest version of the MyTomTom application installed on your computer.

Lars

Also Windows XP Need dot net 3.5 to run Mytomtom :-

[url=http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21"; target="_blank]http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21[/url]

ATB YFM

Some people have had success using the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller then reinstalling MyTomTom  :-

[url=http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html"; target="_blank]http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html[/url]

It unInstalls the prog and clears the registry and the hard drive of left over files the std uninstall leaves behind.

ATB YFM

Igouten
    Hi

You haven't said if you are using Win7 64Bit ??? Because Win7 64Bit, Win8 and some of the Mac OS versions can be very problematic.

ATB YFM

Hi

Still no luck :(

Just a few thoughts.

Are the Windows Firewall and your Antivirus Firewall both running ???

Is your Antivirus seeing the Tomtom drivers as a threat.

Also, I was running Bitdefender antivirus and at that time I setting up Windows Media Center and although I turned the firewall off, bitdefender kept turning it back on.

Windows Defender installed at one of Win7 upgrades and that would not let me down load a program update that I was trying to install.   

ATB YFM

Oh Dear.....
    Out of the frying pan into the fire !!!... That is if your new G*r**n can even find the fire ???

ATB YFM