Tomtom XL v2 how to acess diagnostic screen to recalibrate my touchscreen keys?

jccgoldjccgold Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
edited January 30 in Archived Discussions
Im getting wrong letters in my tomtom xl. When i touch A it gives me a B, when i touch B it gives me a C and so on.

I read i can re-calibrate my Tomtom but i need to acess the diagnostic screen. To that i read i must take of the SD card just my gps doesnt have a sD card, it has 1GB internal memory. How do i acess it, and how do i input new coordenates to recalibrate the GPS?

Comments

• sallor225sallor225 Posts: 2,297 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Try resetting to factory or default settings. That will decustomize it but should correct your problem. Have you tried resetting  the unit by turning it on by holding the on button for 15 seconds till the double drum sound? You could also check the manual that is on TomTomHome to see if you can change it some other way. 
  • jccgoldjccgold Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    1hour after making this topic i figured out the solution. No the resets didnt work it even got worse.

I read in the web to make a file named calib.txt in the main root, and then inserting some coordenates. My problem was i couldnt even get my tomtom coordenates. But then i read for software versions below or including 8.051. coordenates for that file were 88 916 108 865 and for versions after 8.051 coordenates were 916 88 865 108

It worked.

What i cant figure is why in other GPS brands configuring the touchpad is way more simple then with tomtom.
    That is interesting; how old is your TomTom? I will have to investigate mine to see if it has similar settings. Kudos to you, sounds like a very sophisticated fix!
  • imsiegimsieg Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    This sound perhaps it's like the problem I have, Before this I has a 335XL for a short time. So I know how the touchpad should respond. My new 340XL touchpad responds like yours assuming yours is not *only* responding incorrectly with the alphabet.

When I click, "Done" for example it doesn't turn blue or take.  I have to tap it 4 ort 5 times. Also when I click "Done" it thinks I'm clicking on the option just above it, and thus changes a setting instead. When I click on any area of the screen a sightly different area responds. 

Is this the same problem? 
    The reason I ask is because if it is the same problem I do not understand the suggested fix. Can someone spell it out for me in more detail or written as to a newbie that doesn't write computer code? :-) 

Thanks!
    1a- If you are able to do it, power on your Tomtom then go see the details of your Tomtom to see if your Tomtom software version is lower then v8.051 of higher.

1b- If this isnt possible and you dont know what version of software you have, below  v8.051 should be before 2009, higher of  v8.051 should be after 2009.  

2- After knowing that plug in your GPS Tomtom to your computer with the data cable.
    3- Then You can enter in your Tomtom as if it is a hard drive. Do it and you will see the folders and files in your Tomtom.
    4a- If your Tomtom GPS version is lower then v8.051, then in the main root add a file called "calib.txt" with coordenates 88 916 108 865 (MinX MaxX MinY MaxY). Save it, unplug your tomtom, power off, and power on it. Should be fixed. 

If isnt corrected you can calibrate it manualy. For example if when you touch your keypad a letter in the left of the keypad and it assumes youre touching more to your right X axis (MinX) then you have to calibrate the X axis to your left. Lower the "88" coordenate to 60 or any other number. Repeat the process until its calibrated. 

If pressed a letter in the right and its off too, youll have to calibrate the MaxX coordenate so in this example the 916. Same process.

If its not axis X (horizontal) with descalibration but axis Y (vertical) is same process  but in this example youll have to change the coordenates 108 865  (MinY MaxY)

4b- If your version is higher then  v8.051 then its same process but, file wont be called calib.txt but cal.txt.

Coordenates will be (MaxX MinX MaxY MinY) try 916 88 865 108. If theyre off, to calibrate do as described in 4a same process.

I have Tomtom XL v2 of 2008, i had to manualy try coordenates with the process i described, i end up with 888 68 108 865
    Jccgold, thank you so much for your detailed instructions. I must say that I'm learning a lot about many things. Not sure if this is good or bad as I really just want my GPS to be "plug and play". Ah, well. If this is the last thing I have to do in order to make my TomTom work properly I'll be very happy. 

Again, many thanks. I'll let you know if I was able to make it work for me. 
    It worked! My GPS had a problem with vertical coordinates and my software version is 9. "something". So I used (MaxX MinX MaxY MinY) 916 88 865 108 as you suggested. Since I have a Mac I had to find out how to save as a .txt file since files are normally saved as .rtf. But once I could save as .txt it was easy, as I did not have to do it manually like you did. I'm kind of surprised it worked because I have never tried to change or add a file in the root of a "hard-drive". Thanks so much. It's a lot less frustrating to only tap once, and also not have the option directly above where I tapped change another option too!
  • jd69lowejd69lowe Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    almost the same problem...cannot get my tom tom to acknowledge done, cancel, back  no matter how many times i touch it.

the letter above those buttons come on.
  • imyouimyou Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If your asking how to fix the problem excellent directions are provided by JCgold above your post. If the letters above the screen are activated then the problem is vertical so you need to follow the instructions for vertical, MinY MaxY. 
  • buddha665buddha665 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    i have the XL 30 series 330/325. i'm having the same trouble with my touch screen. if i touch a letter it will recognize the letter 2 to right. i have made the "calib", but don't know how to turn it into a .txt file. also i'm not sure where the root menu is. could anybody help me out? thanks!
  • TraylawTraylaw Posts: 3,865 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    As for the text file, you can use windows notepad. The easy way to create the file is to right click somewhere on a blank area of your desktop and select Text Document. This will create a text file on your desktop called New Text Document.txt.

Open this file to edit it and then rename the file.

Root Directory / Main directory

The root directory is also the main directory. Use windows explorer to open the directory and copy your calibration file into it.

1421iD4F7294095C62D6F.jpg

1423i78899E84DD059EB7.jpg
    ********************************************************************Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/********************************************************************
    If you connect your XL to your computer, allow it to connect (yes) when you open your computer file explorer you can see all the drives on your computer, including your XL and it should have the red TomTom icon. If you click on that folder, you will see the folders and files of the root directory in the right hand window.

If you click on File at the top of the explorer menu, then on New, you will see another menu drop down, move down that menu until you see Text Document.

Click on Text Document and you will have a new window appear in the files of your root directory that will say New text document. This you should rename calib.txt or cal.txt which ever is appropriate for your version (see one of the above posts by jccgold).

Once you have renamed it right click on it and open it. In that blank window enter your coordinates, and then go to File and click Save.

If you have the right coordinates, you should be in business. You will have to safely disconnect (green arrow lower right) and restart your XL.
  • n5vxln5vxl Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I just used these calibration instructions on my Tom Tom One - 130 unit, creating the calib.txt, tweaking values.  I guess I overcorrected because I had the unit into s state where the screen did not respond at all.  In an attempt to recover from this I deleted the calib.txt file and re-booted the unit.  Now it works perfectly.

So this is a new suggestion, if like me you can't find the values that work delete the file and try the unit again - hopefully you'll be rewarded as I was.
  • aj21aj21 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have tried doing this to calibrate my tomtom XL 350 usint the coordinates you had provided for the one after 2009. Mine is 2010 and it still does not work. I opend a word document typed in 916 88 865 108 and saved it as "calib" in txt form under the entire device and it still did not work. I don't know if I am putting the numbers in wrong or what. I tried doint it a few different ways as well and still no luck.
    You didnt read alinea 1b and 4b of the instructions. After 2010 should be cal.txt not calib.txt
  • Tricrown1Tricrown1 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Tried this for an hour and nothing worked.

any other suggestions?

even tried changing th ename to cal.txt as in some of the posts, but nothing makes the screen calbration work.
    so is the text file supposed to read only numbers or the numbers AND the Min X etc????
    See if youre putting the file in the correct place, the main root.

If calib.txt doesnt work, try cal.txt

You only put numbers inside the .txt file not words.

Try changing some numbers and see if it does any effect at all in the touchpad keys position
    jccgold wrote:
    See if youre putting the file in the correct place, the main root.

If calib.txt doesnt work, try cal.txt

You only put numbers inside the .txt file not words.

Try changing some numbers and see if it does any effect at all in the touchpad keys position
  • SalGDSalGD Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This worked great for my xxl 540tm. I would press a letter and the next letter to the right would be selected. I made a Cal.txt with the suggested numbers and it was still off. I changed the first number from 916 to 860 and the calibration was perfect. Thank You!
  • garyprofsrgaryprofsr Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    My XL325S with software version 8.083 does not seem to read the cal.txt file at all. So while I've been messing with this cal.txt file all afternoon, the coordinates remain 82 943 121 864.

Time for a Garmin.

Gary
  • Jason75Jason75 Posts: 57 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I had an XL 350 yesterday with the bottom fourth of the screen unresponsive. I checked the calibration on the dagnostic screen . The numbers were odd.

187 852 340 652

I knew that was way off. I tried to create a new cal.txt file with some more conventional axis values and figured I would try to nudge them in the right direction. But the revisions never "took." I then ran clearflash. No change. I copied the map and voices off the unit. I then deep formatted. Reloaded a current navcore - I'm thinking it was around 9.400. I then reloaded the maps and voices. Then presto, new calib settings were automatically written and the digitizer is now  fully responsive.

Go figure. 
    garyprfsr; have you tried updating your xl325 lately. That (8.083) may be an old version. Connect to MyTomTom  TomTomHome and install any updates offered. It may take several (disconnect after each and restart to see if there are imporvements, then reconnect to see if there are more updates. If you are several versions behind, you will have to disconnecct, shut down, then reconnect until you are offered no additional software updates. Be sure you safely disconnect each time (Device/Disconnect Device).
  • keithhinsonkeithhinson Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    How do I get to cal.txt.?
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online59

Bembo
Bembo
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor
Jean Maurice
Jean Maurice
lampard
lampard